• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Playing this for 15 hours, the game is amazing if you are not playing it for the story. The plot is a mess, a giant mess. The gameplay is super fun.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7/10 from GK and their mech-fan reviewer:
Positive points: accessible to newcomers but need to be a mech fan, great customization, good robots design/bosses, online multiplayer sounds very cool
negative: repetitive, plot is completely uninteresting, kinda feels like a "first draft" overall

Overall it's what y'all expected. If you enjoyed the demo, you'll love it. Otherwise it's not for you.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Gonna pick this up today ! Bit of a shame on the lower than expected reviews but I still enjoyed it a lot. Hope it does well !

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
I was expecting review to score around 7, maybe i little higher.

I will buy it, i have a voucher for this one.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
No worries, we'll help you out!

Actually, in case we all want to play together, should we have a hidden friend code collection on the OT so we can play together? Hidden to keep doofuses off-site from messing with them.

If we do, I propose having the code, then the callsign of the person we'll be playing with.

Like,

XXXX-XXXX-XXXX -Vayne- (Razorrin)

As an example.

I'll need help too so yes to had friend code ;)

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
The core game is fine and I already spent a voucher on this, so I'll sink a bunch of time into this before MUA3's Marvel Knights DLC comes out.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Before the first reviews hit, I expected it to do about as well as MUA3. Now I think it might go a bit lower. In any case, some of the stuff sounds really promising and the negatives are about what I expected (repetitive, story is buttcheeks etc).

Surprised with Austin's review, especially after Astral Chain.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
the kind of 7 game that will feel like a 9 in my heart. Can't wait to dwelve into it.
Nailed it.

AC seems to be much more story-driven than this, and I can see how many people (including Austin) would see it as a wasted opportunity, narratively speaking. DxM strikes me as a much more gameplay-driven game, so mech fans know what they're getting into.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Before the first reviews hit, I expected it to do about as well as MUA3. Now I think it might go a bit lower. In any case, some of the stuff sounds really promising and the negatives are about what I expected (repetitive, story is buttcheeks etc).

I think this scratches the action itch better for him than Astral Chain where he complained about the easy S-ranks despite not being someone who's that into those games usually. DXM seems to nail this for him. And the story doesn't appear to promise or open up things it then won't deliver on, which he also had beef with in AC, sadly (and justifiably).

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I wish they gave a way to selectively turn HUD elements off or a way to compress them (like mini mode in iTunes). We have this beautiful game and all of its splendor is covered up by information.

If you go into HUD settings you can resize/move/disable just about everything, a few pages back there was some good examples of custom HUDs.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Reviews so far seem to be about what I expected. This is going to be a cult hit, I suspect. It amazes me how many video reviews and previews I see that have little to no dashing into them at all. C'mon people, DASH!

Excited to go grab this on Friday so I can really dig into customizing my Arsenal!

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
the kind of 7 game that will feel like a 9 in my heart. Can't wait to dwelve into it.

Exactly. For this kind of games, we should pretend that the review scores given out of 8 instead of 10 as western press consider "repetitiveness" as a negative aspect. It really should be dependant of personal tastes, I'd never think repetitive games as bad.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
AC seems to be much more story-driven than this, and I can see how many people (including Austin) would see it as a wasted opportunity, narratively speaking. DxM strikes me as a much more gameplay-driven game, so mech fans know what they're getting into.
I think this scratches the action itch better for him than Astral Chain where he complained about the easy S-ranks despite not being someone who's that into those games usually. DXM seems to nail this for him. And the story doesn't appear to promise or open up things it then won't deliver on, which he also had beef with in AC, sadly (and justifiably).

Good points. Yeah, I can see why this isn't as much of an issue in DXM.

For the record, I enjoyed both of his reviews greatly, even though I feel the opposite about Astral Chain (and have only played the two demos for DXM).

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I honestly wouldn't be too disappointed if the story wasn't up to snuff, since the main thing the writers have to focus on in this kind of game is characterization.

All I need is for most of the other Outers to be fun to interact with and fight, as long as they nail that, which the prologue suggests, I'm fine and dandy!

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
The story, characters and writing seem awful. What's worse, they are constantly yapping during missions and interrupting the action with cutscenes.

That being said, the action itself is a lot of fun and the games aesthetic is cool.

I went ahead and preordered. See you ON THE BATTLEFIELD

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like people who like EDF will enjoy this game.

It is fun, but after couple of hours I felt like I don't really want to play anymore. And yeah, all the story/character stuff is often annoying - just too much. Game constantly throws new faces and new voices at you, you can't even get to know single character properly cause there are 5 different ones in the next cut-scene.

But the gameplay is neat.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
MAybe in the OT we can swap codes to help with coop missions and such too.

Really annoyed that IGN gave it a 6.5 when even the demo ranks higher than that with its customization mission variety and mech variety as well, but numbers are numbers.

Just bummed to see a new IP and a new game get dragged for whatever reason.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
If there's something I can agree with most reviewers is that I just don't care about the story and characters from the little I've seen despite of the unique designs. If this becomes a franchise I hope they hire a better writer.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oof, really didn't expect a 6.5 from IGN after playing the latest demo lol, gameplay is damn good, that alone with the customization doesn't deserve a 6.5 but heh, what can you do

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
MAybe in the OT we can swap codes to help with coop missions and such too.

Really annoyed that IGN gave it a 6.5 when even the demo ranks higher than that with its customization mission variety and mech variety as well, but numbers are numbers.

Just bummed to see a new IP and a new game get dragged for whatever reason.

I think for the average consumer, 6.5 is a fair score. I don't think the average joe will enjoy this game.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Oh and since people were sharing their HUDs, here's mine from handheld mode.

Probably going to move the Minimap to the bottom right, move the chatter box to the top left because it scrolls upwards (Which would push it off the screen) and put the chat underneath that to maximize space.
EEL86KgU0AAZpUG.jpg:large

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Probably going to move the Minimap to the bottom right, move the chatter box to the top left because it scrolls upwards (Which would push it off the screen) and put the chat underneath that to maximize space.

Damn, that seems like some cool flexibility in terms of HUD positioning.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
anything in particular that would help setting this up? a code list in the OP?

Yeah, you could do a spoiler portion, the kind that says "Must Post In Thread To Read," since it will have a distinct green box to draw the eye to in the OT, and once in a while it can be updated and people can be made aware with a post to the thread.

The only question is how people will give that info if they don't want their friend code just lying around, would PMing you be okay? Or just doing a post first spoiler in the thread?

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this game, a friend of mine got me a $20 eshop credit for my birthday coming up so $40 doesnt seem like a bad price for this game. (I love mecha games)

TheCalcutec

IP Director @ Possibility Space
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

It's wild, actually. I think DXM is more story focusd than AC (uh, either Astral Chain OR Armored Core) in that it spends way more time with the characters it has. I didn't find space for it in the review, but there's a lot of dialogue in this game, and each story mission briefing includes a simple cutscene or one of those text conversations between pilots. By the final act, each of the game's squads has developed a clear narrative arc with its major characters, and the game manages to tie up most of these B plots well enough, with a couple of them ending really well. There's some really cool shit in here, and I think for people who like anime archetypes, you'll come out with a some favorite NPCs. (And if you don't like that stuff, you can button through it and fight giant robots.)

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
It's wild, actually. I think DXM is more story focusd than AC (uh, either Astral Chain OR Armored Core) in that it spends way more time with the characters it has. I didn't find space for it in the review, but there's a lot of dialogue in this game, and each story mission briefing includes a simple cutscene or one of those text conversations between pilots. By the final act, each of the game's squads has developed a clear narrative arc with its major characters, and the game manages to tie up most of these B plots well enough, with a couple of them ending really well. There's some really cool shit in here, and I think for people who like anime archetypes, you'll come out with a some favorite NPCs. (And if you don't like that stuff, you can button through it and fight giant robots.)
So it's not just a case of lowered expectations, but it actually sticks the landing for you as far as narrative threads are concerned? That's good to hear, since from what I can gather from other reviews (namely Natalie Degraffinried's piece at Kotaku), other people find the narrative to be too thin and a bit too convoluted. I have to say, despite having know for a while I'm getting the game day one, both your review and this comment help reassuring some doubts I had lingering in my mind, so thanks for that.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.

Thank you very much for this! I've been excited to enjoy the characterization alongside the amazing mech combat, and I'm glad it delivers!

Honestly, the world needs more games like this and Bladestorm, games that base themselves in taking missions involving a wide cast of characters with their own stories and arcs, pitted against each other as Mercs and directly interactive through teamwork or direct combat.

I've always loved that kind of set up!

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
anything in particular that would help setting this up? a code list in the OP?
Maybe if ERA would be okay with putting that info in one place for everyone sure. I'd be willing to give my friend code and just have it "be there" for games like this to help ease the repetitive "here's my friend code" posts, which is what I'd do in a lot of Switch games haha.

Damn, that seems like some cool flexibility in terms of HUD positioning.
You can literally change movement, scale, opacity, etc of pretty much every single element in the game. It's glorious.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil

I also used ammo counters at the left side, but notice it'll hide the left option when you need to change weapons. Left them on default by now.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
I thinking restarting my savegame friday, since we need to pay to change the look of our character.
I don't know yet how i want it to look, but i'm not satisfy with what i've made in the demo.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I also used ammo counters at the left side, but notice it'll hide the left option when you need to change weapons. Left them on default by now.
There's still some quirks to work out for sure. Thanks for the advice, I might move them to the center and leave my hp/femto/etc "bars" on the left since I can't imagine them being more complicated than that haha.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I thinking restarting my savegame friday, since we need to pay to change the look of our character.
I don't know yet how i want it to look, but i'm not satisfy with what i've made in the demo.

I mean, it really doesn't cost that much to change your features, I'd restart only if you want to go with a fresh perspective in the main release and want to change your callsign, which cannot be changed after you make it at the beginning of the game.

That's totally fair if you want to go for it, though.

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
I mean, it really doesn't cost that much to change your features, I'd restart only if you want to go with a fresh perspective in the main release and want to change your callsign, which cannot be changed after you make it at the beginning of the game.

That's totally fair if you want to go for it, though.

I'll look are it cost to change it, probably i'll have enough money to change it.

By the way i have ask a question nobody answer, what's the diffrence between Damage and Bullet Damage for weapons?
I mean i get what Bullet Damage is but just the Damage stats, what is that?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I'll look are it cost to change it, probably i'll have enough money to change it.

By the way i have ask a question nobody answer, what's the diffrence between Damage and Bullet Damage for weapons?
I mean i get what Bullet Damage is but just the Damage stats, what is that?

I assume Damage is the amount you will do over a normalized amount of time, and bullet Damage is what you do each shot.

Like for example, Rifles will deal more damage per shot then Sub Machine Guns, But SMG's will deal more damage overall due to the massive increase in fire rate.

Your best bet for finding a weapon type that works for you is finding how far/close you want to be to your opponent. If you don't mind getting close and personal, SMG's will be very powerful, as will swords. Rifles are better around mid range, giving you solid room to avoid attacks, while doing only somewhat less damage.

Eventually, we'll get weapons that'll dance around normal restrictions, and even now you can occasionally get variants on different weapons that affect their core stats slightly in different directions. Right now, just play around with them, either in missions or in training, and find what works for you!

Just remember that you can equip backups in your Pylons you can switch to whenever you need to, and can even equip weapons found in the field!

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Austin's description of it on the Beastcast made it sound like this game was made for me, I really loved AC For Answer and I'm always down for anime bullshit. Ass deep in Monster Hunter right now though. Maybe I'll try and sneak in some time with the demo.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
65 would be pretty much in line with the most recent Armored Core releases since... Nine Breaker in 2005. I think this will break 70 easy which would already put it firmly into the upper half if not third of Japanese mech games reviewed by the Western press. Unless we count Xenoblade Chronicles X, the last time these made any sort of splash was between 2001 and 2003 with AC2, Zone of the Enders and Steel Battalion. Since then I can really only remember Chromehounds that got some sort of recognition and that was only after the fact.

Why do these types of games don't review well?

TheCalcutec

IP Director @ Possibility Space
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I really think it just has to do with taste, and the way that many of the subgenre's traits intersect with expectations about things like movement, shooting, and structure in third person action games/shooters. Though there's a range in feel in TPS games (Gears, TLoU, and Vanquish all feel different even if the basic verbs are the same), there's still a general similarity to each other in terms of gameplay style. Armored Core games just feel different (even to each other, contrast AC3, 4, and V). They're floaty or clunky, the shooting is choppy or imprecise.

All of that is true, too, but for me, that's the appeal. The point of an AC game (or DXM) is building a body you like to inhabit, and struggling against the mechanical constraints to do that. You learn to counterbalance the mech's traits both by becoming a better pilot and by tinkering away with your design until it boosts the right way, or until it can hold onto a target lock long from the right distance, or until it is exactly as sturdy as you need. Contrast that with action games where you're supposed to get to a point of synchronicity with your character quickly, and their power and versatility is supposed to go up over the course of play.

That isn't a drag on people who don't like these games, to be clear. I get it! You want to pick up the controller and for it to "feel good" out the box. I'm that way with plenty of other games. But this style of mech game is all about that loop of mastery and redesign, and I don't know that it gets there if it isn't willing to have your character feel less like an action hero and more like a machine you've got to learn to handle.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Dunno. The most common criticisms are that they're repetitive, obtuse and janky. A friend of mine absolutely loved shooters but could never stand AC but it's not meant to be played like Uncharted.

Maybe they need to put the genre mainly on handhelds for two generations before they can bring it back to home consoles ;)