• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (72)

TheSixthAxis (no score):
So, should you play Daemon X Machina on PC? If you never touched it before, you absolutely need to play this game no matter what platform you pick. For people who really live-or-die with the portability of Nintendo Switch games, you aren't getting a massively inferior experience by sticking with the handheld. Playing on PC brings sharper resolution and a much more stable and smooth framerate, for sure, but none of it amounts to a night-and-day difference. Go with your heart and play the game on whichever machine speaks to you the most, because at the end of the day, you're guaranteed to have a good time no matter how you play this game.

GamingTrend (85/100):
Daemon X Machina has found its home on PC. The game looks and runs beautifully, and is surprisingly well optimized. This is the best version of a great game, don't miss out on it.

Screen Rant (4/5):
And that's really what Daemon X Machina is all about. Operatic fights, soaring around a destroyed metropolis sinking in the sand, and getting a victory in the most stylish way possible. The story may get in the way of itself sometimes, but when it doesn't Daemon X Machina is a blast.

God is a Geek (8/10, video):
Daemon X Machina looks and sounds incredible on PC, the thumping, OTT soundtrack adding to the already frantic atmosphere and the improved performance ramping the bombast up past 11. At times it can feel a little one-note, given that you'll rarely care about anything the game does or says outside the battlefield, but it really is what it is. I love Daemon X Machina on the Switch, but this is certainly the definitive edition of an already great game.

cublikefoot (8/10, video):
For the mecha fan, DAEMON X MACHINA is a solid recommendation. Fun gameplay, slick movement, extensive customization, there's a lot to like here. It does have some issues with regards to its story and repetitive mission design, but the core gameplay more than makes up for it. And of course, the fact that it's an excellent PC port on top of all of that just makes it even better. Even for those not into mecha, it's definitely worth a look.

3DJuegos (7.5/10, review in Spanish):
Daemon X Machine receives an okay adaptation to PC that delivers the original, sort of repetitive and clunky campaign in a more fashionable way. The game also features a welcome number of extra options to tweak the graphics as well as fully customizable key mapping and the most relevant content updates to date. Not a must have, but still a nice addition to your Steam library.

Gamer Escape (7/10):
Here's the thing – I've never actually cared all that much for the Armored Core games despite wanting to, due chiefly to bouncing off some of them really hard when I was younger. But they are, at the same time, my kind of thing. This is, in essence, a faster-paced Armored Core with more anime influence, and this time I was right on board with it and it hooked me in more or less immediately.

If you like the trailer, you are almost certainly going to like this game. If you like the concepts, you are almost certainly going to like this game. It knows what it wants to be and it succeeds marvelously at it. And at the end of the day, I like this game, so even with its flaws, I can't help but feel that it deserves plenty of love for just being dang fun in exactly the way it wants.

PC Invasion (7/10):
Daemon X Machina isn't an insanely long game by any means. Doing the main campaign and side missions will likely take around 15 hours or so, depending on how much you do. But with all of the online content, it's a pretty good bang for your buck. The game can get a bit repetitive, sure, but there's also a decent variety of mission types, such as ones that have you move around on foot, pilot giant mechs, or shoot down meteors to protect some towers. The story grates and can be nigh incomprehensible at times and it's very dated visually, but if you're looking for a fun Japanese mecha game, this is very much one of the better choices available.

PCMag (3.5/5):
With its focus on high-speed mecha warfare, weapon collecting, and battles in barren landscapes, Daemon X Machina recalls the late, great Armored Core series—understandable, as Daemon X Machina's producer, Kenichiro Tsukuda, also worked on the Armored Core games. As a result, Daemon X Machina has that classic mecha game appeal, along with a few of the genre's warts. Just don't invest too much of yourself into the story.

Shacknews (6/10):
While Daemon X Machina is now available on PC, if you want to get the most out of the game, I highly recommend picking it up on the Nintendo Switch. Thanks to the repetitive combat, and the overall confusing cutscenes, Daemon X Machina is one of those games best played in small doses. The Nintendo Switch is the perfect console for those types of games, and while you'll find smoother framerates on the PC port, you can't take this version of the game with you on day trips out to the city.

That's not to say that Daemon X Machina is a bad game. The offering here is on par with just about every other mech game we've seen over the past few years, and while there are things that could be better, the stunning anime-style visuals and the sheer amount of customization are two things that make it shine. If you're a fan of the mech games of yesteryear, then Daemon X Machina is a nice trip down a road packed with nostalgia. Just don't expect a trip without any potholes, sharp turns, or dead ends—because this adventure is absolutely loaded with them.

GameSpew (5/10):
If you do stick with Daemon X Machina, you'll find a lengthy campaign that's padded out with plenty of optional free missions. There are also co-op focused exploration missions that enable you to get valuable parts, and competitive multiplayer if you're up for it. Overall, it's quite the comprehensive package. Powering through it all will be a test for many, though. Daemon X Machina has many of the ingredients of a great mech combat game but the end result isn't wholesome. It's flat, lacking in flavour, and gets stale all too quickly.

Last edited:

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Hmm, might have to sell my Switch copy. I didn't play it very much and I feel like this type of game would play far better on PC. Anyone know of any benchmarks? I'd like to hit 1440p 144fps or 4K 60fps.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought Wolcen, but man, that launch discount is pretty tempting. And, there's only 9 hours left.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or/and a handful of reviews versus more than 60 ?
that too, but i can't imagine the metascore dipping as low as the switch version when/if more reviews for the PC version are published.
also if i'm not mistaken the game has gotten quite a bit of QoL improvements since launch, but they're included day 1 in the PC version.

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
It's a really fun mecha game, though the plot is wacky. Buy it guys! Would love to see a sequel to this IP.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
that too, but i can't imagine the metascore dipping as low as the switch version when/if more reviews for the PC version are published.
also if i'm not mistaken the game has gotten quite a bit of QoL improvements since launch, but they're included day 1 in the PC version.
Still, would people say :
"So now this is good ?" with just a few points difference versus a good dozen.

Almost all reviews mentions how the base game is already great, so how is that saying it is "good now" ?

Are people saying DQXI ps4 was bad because it has a few less points or isn't the definitive edition ?

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
On top of the performance improvements, I can see the PC version benefitting from keyboard and mouse controls. It played okay on Switch but IMO keyboard and mouse would be much better for this type of game.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
KBM and 60+ FPS is a game changer for this. I played the game on Switch but the performance was just awful.

Buying it on Steam for sure.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Lol @ GamingTrend

"The game looks and runs beautifully, and is surprisingly well optimized."

But then their monitor only supports 1080p 60fps. The game runs on Switch so I would hope most PCs can handle 1080p 60fps.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shacknews (6/10):
While Daemon X Machina is now available on PC, if you want to get the most out of the game, I highly recommend picking it up on the Nintendo Switch. Thanks to the repetitive combat, and the overall confusing cutscenes, Daemon X Machina is one of those games best played in small doses. The Nintendo Switch is the perfect console for those types of games, and while you'll find smoother framerates on the PC port, you can't take this version of the game with you on day trips out to the city.

That's not to say that Daemon X Machina is a bad game. The offering here is on par with just about every other mech game we've seen over the past few years, and while there are things that could be better, the stunning anime-style visuals and the sheer amount of customization are two things that make it shine. If you're a fan of the mech games of yesteryear, then Daemon X Machina is a nice trip down a road packed with nostalgia. Just don't expect a trip without any potholes, sharp turns, or dead ends—because this adventure is absolutely loaded with them.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I was a dunce and thought the embargo was later than it was ;(. Anyway, here's my impressions of the port. Since the gameplay is identical to the Switch version, I decided to do a piece of what's changed instead of an article review. Such as the graphical options, framerate, controls and things to look forward to on the PC version.

I've seen some asking about performance, and let me just say this. On my "Weaker" testing PC with a Ryzen 7 2700x + RTX Super 2080, I was running at a constant 4K60 FPS. I have a lower-end PC with a Ryzen 5 1800 + GTX 1080 if anyone is interested in performance on that.

www.theouterhaven.net

Daemon X Machina PC Port Impressions

Hands-on with the Daemon X Machina PC port, a fast-paced mecha game that is similar to Armored Core and originally a Nintendo Switch exclusive.

Enjoy!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gamer Escape (7/10):
Here's the thing – I've never actually cared all that much for the Armored Core games despite wanting to, due chiefly to bouncing off some of them really hard when I was younger. But they are, at the same time, my kind of thing. This is, in essence, a faster-paced Armored Core with more anime influence, and this time I was right on board with it and it hooked me in more or less immediately.

If you like the trailer, you are almost certainly going to like this game. If you like the concepts, you are almost certainly going to like this game. It knows what it wants to be and it succeeds marvelously at it. And at the end of the day, I like this game, so even with its flaws, I can't help but feel that it deserves plenty of love for just being dang fun in exactly the way it wants.

GameSpew (5/10):
If you do stick with Daemon X Machina, you'll find a lengthy campaign that's padded out with plenty of optional free missions. There are also co-op focused exploration missions that enable you to get valuable parts, and competitive multiplayer if you're up for it. Overall, it's quite the comprehensive package. Powering through it all will be a test for many, though. Daemon X Machina has many of the ingredients of a great mech combat game but the end result isn't wholesome. It's flat, lacking in flavour, and gets stale all too quickly.

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game was running at 1440p and locked 120fps on my rig.(2080 ryzen 3700x)
I played the switch demo and hated the game due to it's performance so playing it on PC was a complete game changer and made everything a whole lot more enjoyable at least from what little of the game I played last night.
The port also seemed to have good options for rebindable keys.

Falcato

Nov 2, 2017
One of the reviews says the game has co-op, but is it couch co-op? Or online?

Was interested in this game on Switch but never got it because of a never ending backlog 🤣
Might buy it on PC because of better performance

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was a dunce and thought the embargo was later than it was ;(. Anyway, here's my impressions of the port. Since the gameplay is identical to the Switch version, I decided to do a piece of what's changed instead of an article review. Such as the graphical options, framerate, controls and things to look forward to on the PC version.

I've seen some asking about performance, and let me just say this. On my "Weaker" testing PC with a Ryzen 7 2700x + RTX Super 2080, I was running at a constant 4K60 FPS. I have a lower-end PC with a Ryzen 5 1800 + GTX 1080 if anyone is interested in performance on that.

www.theouterhaven.net

Hands-on with the Daemon X Machina PC port, a fast-paced mecha game that is similar to Armored Core and originally a Nintendo Switch exclusive.

Enjoy!

Wow, not being able to play switch games on PC is a crime against humanity.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Would've bought it immediately but it doesn't support 21:9. Waiting for at least a community fix.

EDIT: Bought it anyway. It's Unreal Engine 4, so modding it should be easy. The HUD should also be fully customizable, as it was in the Switch version.

Last edited:

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like XSEED published this PC port? I'm not surprised that it's well optimized, they're really good at this.

That being said, I've already played this on Switch...I wish there was some sort of cross save feature :(

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
For the people who got good at the game, is there like a longer take on what's good about the game/how to do the funky stuff? Because lets be real even the positive reviews aren't going to provide that info, and I do remember a contingent here going to bat for some of the technical aspects about playing this game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PC Invasion (7/10):
Daemon X Machina isn't an insanely long game by any means. Doing the main campaign and side missions will likely take around 15 hours or so, depending on how much you do. But with all of the online content, it's a pretty good bang for your buck. The game can get a bit repetitive, sure, but there's also a decent variety of mission types, such as ones that have you move around on foot, pilot giant mechs, or shoot down meteors to protect some towers. The story grates and can be nigh incomprehensible at times and it's very dated visually, but if you're looking for a fun Japanese mecha game, this is very much one of the better choices available.

PCMag (3.5/5):
With its focus on high-speed mecha warfare, weapon collecting, and battles in barren landscapes, Daemon X Machina recalls the late, great Armored Core series—understandable, as Daemon X Machina's producer, Kenichiro Tsukuda, also worked on the Armored Core games. As a result, Daemon X Machina has that classic mecha game appeal, along with a few of the genre's warts. Just don't invest too much of yourself into the story.

Last edited:

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Wait.

There is a PC version?

Wow. After I switched from the regular Switch to the Lite (no pun intended) I couldn't play anymore (everything is too small).

PC sounds amazing. Does it have good antialiasing? Hated it the jaggies on the Switch version.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

www.theouterhaven.net

Enjoy!

Thank you for this. How does it run in the weaker system? Does it keep the 60 fps at 4k or would 1080 be a better bet?

EDIT: I still see the same type of geometry LOD and popin in the distance, are there any hidden options or sliders for that?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Everyone should check this game out. I really enjoyed the story too, which I typically tune-out in these Armored Core mercenary style storylines, but it had a really interesting story to tell.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Thank you for this. How does it run in the weaker system? Does it keep the 60 fps at 4k or would 1080 be a better bet?

EDIT: I still see the same type of geometry LOD and popin in the distance, are there any hidden options or sliders for that?

Nope, we just have a few options as I pointed out and that's it. I wish there was more, but I think this is a solid port. I can always ask to see if there are more options/features planned.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Driving home from work right now, is there a clear superior option for controls between keyboard and mouse, and controller?