• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Figured I'd post this for the 2 (maybe I'm being optimistic there lol) other Summon Night fans here. News is courtesy of Gematsu:

D3P-Countdown-Website_09-08-20.jpg

D3 Publisher has launched a countdown website for a new game with a world and story created by Summon Night series writer Kei Miyakozuki and developed by Summon Night 5 developer Felistella.

The countdown will end on September 8 at 1:00 a.m. PT / 4:00 a.m. ET / 17:00 JST.

I'm a huge fan of the Summon Night games, and a lot of that is to do with their super interesting world (it's situated at a locus point where a bunch of different dimensions and their inhabitants co-exist and is a real melting pot of cultures), so this is potentially a really cool announcement for me. That said, Felistella has been stuck on pretty terrible fan-service shit under Idea Factory for most of the last decade, and D3 serves a similar niche when they're not pumping out Earth Defence Force, so... Iunno. Having Miyakozuki onboard is definitely a positive.

Anyone else care? I think the GBA ARPG spin-off of the mainline SRPG series, Swordcraft Story, probably had the most penetration in the West (since those were the only games localised outside of a not great DS one, at least until 5 and 6 made their way over after Flight-Plan (the original devs) had already died).

Here's the god-tier Summon Night 3 opening movie because I'm not sure how else to end this:

Something something me if old.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've played all the localized Summon Night games, which I felt were okay at best.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll still take Felistella over Media Vision, where the latter is where good franchises go to die (Shining, Valkyria, Summon Night, etc.)

If this does end up being another Summon Night game though (which I can see given D3 is essentially Namco), I hope Namco localizes it and not Gaijinworks because that localization of 6 was...rough.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't Gaijinworks defunct? They haven't released anything since Summon Night 6 (the NA release is nearly 3 years old at this point) & Vic Ireland stopped communicating on the Gaijinworks forum a couple years ago. The last tweet from the Gaijinworks Twitter account was at the end of 2017.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
It's assumed they're defunct, yes. But Vic disappearing is hardly a sign of anything. ;)

It'll be interesting to see who scoops up the localization.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Gaijinworks defunct? They haven't released anything since Summon Night 6 (the NA release is nearly 3 years old at this point) & Vic Ireland stopped communicating on the Gaijinworks forum a couple years ago. The last tweet from the Gaijinworks Twitter account was at the end of 2017.

We're just gonna find out sometime next year that the GaijinWorks office is vacant, just like what happened to Flight-Plan, coincidentally.

Additional staff revealed
OP
OP
Strings

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
There are some updates to the countdown site now:
Update 09/07/20 at 7:55 a.m.: An update to the website reveals the game will feature character design and illustration by Lack (Fate/Grand Order's Okada Izou, etc.), sound by Puresound (Summon Night series, Metal Max series), and a main theme song by Chiaki Fujita (Sing Like Talking) ("Hikari no Miyako" from Summon Night 2, "Spiral" from Spiral: Machi Koujou no Kiseki).

D3P-Countdown-Website_09-07-20_09-07-20-600x383.jpg

For those unfamiliar with the character designer, like myself, here's some of their work:

74223518_p0_master1200.jpg

69283019_p0_master1200.jpg

75470494_p0_master1200.jpg

68174416_p0_master1200.jpg

I'll still take Felistella over Media Vision, where the latter is where good franchises go to die (Shining, Valkyria, Summon Night, etc.)

If this does end up being another Summon Night game though (which I can see given D3 is essentially Namco), I hope Namco localizes it and not Gaijinworks because that localization of 6 was...rough.
Also, MediaVision is great :(

Last edited:

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, I got the Gaijinworks releases so I'd love to see another game by these guys if makes it over too.
The sample images seem broken at the moment but checked out his homepage, some really nice art.

Yeah, I really like MediaVision.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, looking forward to learning more.

Digging the two character designs well enough too.

Status
Not open for further replies.