• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

24th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards Finalists Revealed

The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (AIAS) is pleased to announce the nominees for its 24th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards (#DICEAwards). Academy members will begin general voting for the video game industry’s premier peer-based awards show on Jan. 26th, 2021 at 5:00 PM PT.

The top three most nominated are TLOU2-11, Ghost of Tsushima-10, Hades-8.

GOTY finalists-TLOU2, GoT, Animal Crossing, Hades, FF7R.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Wow, that's a lot of nominations for Ghost of Tsushima. A sequel is definitely in the works, right?

Oct 27, 2017
Weird seeing Eivor in Best Character...were they really that great? My impressions from the 20 or so hours I've played have not been overly positive on them.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Very happy to see The Pathless in Best Music. It's been snubbed to oblivion in almost every other major award, but ignoring Austin Wintory's soundtrack is a certified crime.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I would never understand the love GoT is getting. Like the game is not bad by any means, but it's just another Ubi open world game with better combat and yet another average story. I'd take games like Ori or DeS over it anytime.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Ready for Ori to get robbed in all five categories, as per.

Pleasantly surprised to see Coffee Talk get a nod in the indie game category, even if it doesn't have a chance considering the competition. Just a cozy, charming time.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
It's nice to see Ghost of Tsushima just raking in the praise. Reminds me of how Control got quite the backing from the critics post-review season.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I would never understand the love GoT is getting. Like the game is not bad by any means, but it's just another Ubi open world game with better combat and yet another average story. I'd take games like Ori or DeS over it anytime.
I think that most people outside of the critic (because it's part of their job) and hardcore "era" sphere just don't look at games at their raw deconstruction of parts.
I was talking about it with friends earlier that while Ghost of Tsushima functions a lot like an AC game (I was even disappointed after the state of play because of "how much" of an assassins creed game it looked like), the game manages to sell itself to players as a Samurai adventure rather than what I feel with AC is done a lot where there is just the sense you are playing the protagonist of the previous game by Ubi, with a new skin, different story and some altered moves or stats while the world has the same sense to itself in all games despite a new coat of paint, the key word here is "sell itself to players as", even if mechanically it's not too different, the game does just enough to get the players into the sense of being a Samurai, like for example, for me the duel mechanic was a game changer, being able to approach anyone and summon them to an awesome scene leading up to a fight just never got old for me, even more so with the bosses or side bosses. These are not huge things that change the game on a deconstruction level, but it's something that makes the game as a whole sell itself as much more than it really is, and I am saying that as a huge praise. For me, a game that manages to sell itself with just enough modifications to an existing formula, without adding too many obtuse and over complicated elements to it, is successful work done.

Tl;dr
I think a lot of players don't think a game is just "in x template" if the game manages to sell itself to be something else in just enough changes, even if when looking at the basic elements that make the game, it was made in this "template".

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
haha this is great. 13 Sentinels for story o.o nice.

Iono why, this just reminds me of the Giant Bomb discussions, with some of these picks (probably just recency bias). I laugh that Carrion is on the list. Vinny redeemed XD

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
The game does a good job into selling samurai fantasy and the overall presentation is very good. While it doesn't reinvents the wheel, what it does it does well, especially for a new IP.

Anyway, gotta say that the categories are more diverse and its names are much better than the ones used in TGA.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
🤞🤞 Ghost of Tsushima 🤞🤞
🤞 Final Fantasy 7 Remake 🤞

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Because it's not an average story and they put the best multiplayer experience in a sony first party game ...for free...after release.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
User Warned: Drive-By Post, Thread Derail
AAA Sony exclusive. Its going to get that boost. Just how the gaming industry is right now

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Come on ghost of Tsushima, one of the best games this gen!

Gameplay, graphics, atmosphere, characters, location and quality ( hardly any bugs and stable FPS) all top teir.

My jaw dropped so many times due to the incredibly crafted scenary. The wind, colours and foliage just create a beautiful image.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Come on ghost of Tsushima, one of the best games this gen!

Gameplay, graphics, atmosphere, characters, location and quality ( hardly any bugs and stable FPS) all top teir.

My jaw dropped so many times due to the incredibly crafted scenary. The wind, colours and foliage just create a beautiful image.
So damn true. And the combat system man.... so awesome!