• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
There's also a Kickstarter and Steam demo coming up later today.

Normally when I preview a video game I intend to publish, I try to convey my experience since I'm fortunate to be in the position where I often get to play games early before they're available. But that's not really the situation with Solasta: Crown of the Magister. I don't need to describe the complex rules of Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition, and how they're so faithfully recreated in a party-based tactical fantasy game, and why that's so grin-inducingly unique because you can play the free Solasta PC demo for yourself when it goes live alongside the Kickstarter campaign. And if you don't have a PC on which to play the demo but you're still interested, you can watch my entire hour-long playthrough of the demo in the video at the top of this article.

z1pUm0f.png
mIoiEW0.png

WGsQ6nU.png
AeV2vq9.png

Key Features:
  • An Epic Team Adventure.
    Discover the shattered world of Solasta: explore ruins and dungeons for legendary treasures, learn the truth of an age-old cataclysm - and stop it from happening again.

Create your very own party of adventurers with our Character Creation Tool in the classic tabletop RPG tradition. Breathe life into your heroes, and see their personalities reflected in their dialogue. Tailor your squad to your preferred strategy and maximizes your party's abilities. The choice is yours.

• Discover a Mysterious & Dynamic World.
    Delve into long forgotten dungeons to unearth ancient artifacts, but stay watchful of light and darkness: many dangers hide in the dark, but a light can attract monsters. Some enemies have darkvision, some may flee from your torch... Successful adventurers will learn to use it to their advantage.

Fight monsters in squad-level, turn-based, tactical combat. Solasta's dynamic environment offers some interesting tactical options. Bridges can collapse, leaving enemies stranded and vulnerable. Walls and columns can be pushed over - on top of your foes, if you do it right. The world is your playground.

• Prepare to Think in Three Dimensions.
    The dungeons in Solasta are more than flat game-boards. Climb, jump, or fly around obstacles. Evade or surprise foes from above or below. Push them into chasms or drop things on their heads. Position yourself on high grounds to start the fight with an advantage.

Size also matters. Escape through narrow passages where bigger enemies won't fit and crawl through tunnels to find secret areas. Take advantage of the environment to find cover suited to your own size. Watch out, though - the monsters are also thinking vertically.

• True to the Tabletop.
    Based on the 5e ruleset of the world's most popular tabletop RPG, Solasta: Crown of the Magister brings back the thrill, tactics, and deep storytelling of tabletop games.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll try it out, but have low expectations of it matching, let alone surpassing, the Gold Box games of the late 1980s. Certainly no other D&D games have come close.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Seems really cool, and that demo might be a nice way to learn 5e's rules - the ui looks pretty intuitive and splits up the movement/action/bonus action economy for combat pretty well!

Any word on if there will be co-op like in the divinity series? The premade characters with personalities seem cool, but a lot of the fun of this kind of RPG/tabletop game is playing with friends

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Ah, so the second coming of Temple Of Elemental Evil, only instead of 3.5 edition, it's bringing 5th edition to life? Interesting, I hope it gets funded!

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
"Based on the 5e ruleset of the world's most popular tabletop RPG"

you can legally use the D&D rules for a game that doesn't have the D&D license? how does that work?

I know 3rd edition D&D allowed anyone to use the rules without the D&D license, which lead to tons of supplements and even entire other games like Pathfinder. Not sure about 5th edition since I don't play D&D anymore.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
What's the maximum party size? Looks to be 4?

Maps look interesting with verticality being a strong focus. Would open up ranged strategies with line-of-sight.

Feb 12, 2019
5th edition, huh? I'm interested in seeing what they're doing to make it suitable for a computer game. It's great in a tabletop setting, but would be kind of simplistic if interpreted as written in a video game one. It's why Sven from Larian was pretty straightforward when he said that the ruleset in Baldur's Gate 3 is going to be heavily modified to make sense for the format.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"D&D Tactical RPG" is all I need to hear to give the demo a try.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tried a bit of the demo. Last time I played something that felt as much like a serious D and D mechanic simulator as this was...I think Temple of Elemental Evil?

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played through the demo. I enjoyed it and I'll probably be keeping an eye on this until it releases since it definitely seems like it could be fun. That said, there's a lot of things that I really didn't like:
  • The party banter is awful. Most of it is just your party members dropping snide comments towards one another with bad voice acting. Surprisingly, there's quite a lot of party banter, which makes this even more annoying.
  • The whole "verticality" aspect seems cool, but doesn't really amount to anything in the demo. It mostly just makes the areas annoying to explore.
  • The fights in the demo didn't offer me any challenge (and this was my first experience with anything 5th edition related) and didn't require any tactical thought. It's hard to say how good the combat will be in the full release but considering how important encounter design is in games like this it would have been nice if the demo showed off some more interesting fights.
It's obviously a pre-alpha demo so this could all be improved during development. It definitely seems like it could be a lot of fun on release.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Played through the demo, there's definitely some weaknesses in the camera, the cutscene animations aren't great, but the actual combat really does feel like a game of 5e, which really tickled me pink. I've backed it, hope it reaches its goal. Sometimes a girl want to play some 5e, but can't rustle up the people to do it.

Obsidian seems to think it's cool too, so that neat

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yup.

I've tried a bit of the demo. I like the combat, verticality and exploration, but the camera control left a lot to be desired. Need more keyboard functionality/shortcut for camera control. They also need to add an option to unlock the camera, I think.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll agree with sentiment here. The game is pretty fun. Nice implementation of the 5e rules. The camera is kind of rubbish. They have plenty of time to fix it. I've backed it

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Demo was ok, but I'm a sucker for tactical D&D.

However, this video is what made me back it. Straight out of the D&D Saturday morning cartoon.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I finally tried the demo and found it to be really promising. While it definitely needs some work when it comes to visual effects and overall polish, it was still pretty fun.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
New trailer on character creation, exploration, and combat. Combat kinda reminds me of Original Sin, but with much emphasize on verticality.

The game is shaping up nicely.