• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
giphy.gif

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
D&D were bored of GOT and probably rushed through things (though they always planned on rushing things) so they could move on and start doing other projects, so what people are saying about them leaving GOT is true...

470768718a9f267b60f58f4f48c58d67.gif

Soap NickTavish

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Good. After these pretentious douche bags bastardized George's characters in the TV series once they ran out of source material, they revealed themselves to be the hacks they truly were all along.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'll never understand this "TLJ isn't divisive" argument defence force.

You liked the movie, and that's great. But if we spend hundreds of pages arguing "is it divisive" that makes it divisive in its own right.

Name a single other movie debated as much here, or online in general, in recent years.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm not saying it's good, everyone has their own opinion that they're entitled to. But saying the film isn't divisive and there's only actually one single reaction to it is completely disingenuous.

If you went by this forum, Skyrim, Fallout 3/4, and Call of Duty are all terrible games that nobody enjoys. In reality, those games are some of the most loved in gaming and universally enjoyed by normal people.

Dudes like Josh Trank or Colin Trevorrow or Gareth Edwards were pulled out the indie film slums with no blockbuster experience and given big franchises

But when the same idea is applied to minorities we start talking about job fit lmao

To be fair, the same thing is happening, to a lesser extent to female indy directors these days, so I believe that's more about studios wanting control. It just so happened that up until recently, there was far more indy dude directors for sexist reasons.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
good riddance if you ask me. Youre only as good as what you did last and what you did last sucked hard.

As for Kennedy calling them "great story tellers"....oh please. Without the books, they aint nothing.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can see how they would prefer to work on their own stuff and their interest in doing SW after the hell they are getting over GoT and how divisive the SW fanbase has become anyway could make them want to skip this. It's the right choice for them. For SW, who knows.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Yes.

Actually to be honest I think D&D's trilogy probably would've been fairly well liked by the "internet mob". At least until the end, lol.

To be honest the characters in GoT are way better written than any Star Wars character (Han Solo is like the peak? lol), and while a lot of that did come from GRRM, it wasn't all him.

If it were up to Benioff and Weiss, they would've given you a fanservice ending that people would've liked.

Instead, they gave people GRRM's ending but not well-executed and conceptually, GRRM's ending was always going to cause an uproar.

Oct 31, 2017
My suspicion is this:

- Both D&D and Lucasfilm were rattled by the intense backlash to the Game of Thrones final season.

- Lucasfilm maybe started looking at their scriptment/treatment and started to get cold feet. Was GoT successful because of these guys or because of Martin?

- D&D overwhelmed by the massive backlash also realized if this Star Wars project wasn't great, they were absolutely going to get murdered by the "geek public" after GoT. They didn't want any of that heat.

- Both sides agreed to quietly step back from the project. Lucasfilm left an olive branch for them that they come back and maybe try something in the future.

- Lucasfilm's plan is to let Fiege do the next trilogy. They moved to get Fiege once the decision was internally made to nix the D&D films. They don't want to take any "chances" with the next trilogy, they axed D&D for Fiege.

- The next trilogy will be overseen by Fiege and the first film will be written/directed by Jon Favreau.

Let's hope you are right. Carte blanche for Feige and Favreau to start something new would be fantastic.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Jon Favreau? lol jesus christ. absolute mediocrity. dream bigger guys.

edit: or maybe not I dunno. Disney's choices before been ass anyways like hiring Trevorrow and Gareth Edwards. Favreau makes a lot of sense considering he's a staple at that studio.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I NEED to hear some insider gossip about D&D because I would love to know what their reputation is like behind closed doors in the industry. Publicly all of the big names from GOT have played nice, but there is no way that everyone is happy with D&D. Mostly I would love to know what execs at HBO think about D&D and the end of GOT. My gut tells me that the execs have got to feel pretty burned, to the point where I wonder if they'll ever let a creative team run so freely ever again. Now with this breaking news, you can't tell me that D&D's stock in Hollywood isn't dropping.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

edit: or maybe not I dunno. Disney's choices before been ass anyways like hiring Trevorrow and Gareth Edwards. Favreau makes a lot of sense considering he's a staple at that studio.

I wouldn't really say he's mediocre, but Favreau is already working on Star Wars stuff like Mandalorian and a sequel to Jungle Book - y'know, that billion dollar movie he directed.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
yeah thats why i said he's a big disney staple. and mediocre as fuck. dude obviously has a lot of goodwill at the company due to his billion dollar hits churning out these animal movies and giving us RDJ as Iron Man (which is a big deal for sure). but god damn less movies from the guy.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
There are few people that would love to imagine D&D getting fired more than the resident "Dany stan" over here, but the article seems to indicate from their sources that D&D legitimately walked away and Kennedy's statement says she'd like to work with them again.
How does it indicate that they weren't fired?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Meh, it's Star Wars not Shakespeare. You don't necessarily need a genius running the show.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Game of Thrones died because Benioff and Weiss are terrible writers who got bored of the series, but the Star Wars deal in specific didn't come until they had already written the season and filmed most of it. Star Wars, specifically, is not responsible for GoT's demise.

This.

Guys, you need to be smarter and not just consume the fans' bullshit about why things sucked.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really judge that one since I haven't seen it but apparently it made way more than any Star Wars movie not called The Force Awakens so I'd say that only makes the point even clearer.

Favreau ain't mediocre.

okaaay.....all you guys are talking about here is box office gross lol. I just think it would be nice to see this franchise given to people capable of making somewhat more interesting movies. Last Jedi for instance.

Hell, even Abrams consistently puts out better shit than Favreau tbh. The latter feels like a basic studio man at this point. but he's caking off of it so good for him.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they were "fired fired", I think it probably went down more like this:

- Disney became more "hands on" after the GoT final season back lash.

- That kinda rubbed them the wrong way.

- The idea of another nerd back lash towards them if the Star Wars thing didn't go well either made D&D also start to re-evaluate things. Did they want to deal with another shit storm on their hands?

- The scripts they had were OK to good but not great.

- Both sides decided to amicably step back from each other. D&D can take on less pressure and do as they want with their Netflix deal, Disney got out and signed up Fiege. KK left the door open for them to come back and try again some day once the GoT backlash has cooled some.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it were up to Benioff and Weiss, they would've given you a fanservice ending that people would've liked.

Instead, they gave people GRRM's ending but not well-executed and conceptually, GRRM's ending was always going to cause an uproar.

Maybe. I think they still cut themselves short with too few episodes even if the ending was gonna be some Jon + Dany on the throne ending.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Surfinn gotta call you out on this buddy...in the past, when people speculated deeper meanings into things happening at LFL, you had no problem taking it at face value and admonishing people for speculation.

Why the change here?
If you're going to call me out, why don't you provide an actual example instead of just firing blindly? I'm saying it doesn't seem like they simply stepped away, because of the HWR source contradicting the original article (that Netflix had known and essentially made room for their SW projects)?

I mean, sure, maybe they just realized they couldn't manage both things? That's perfectly possible. But they've also been embarrassing themselves with questionable decisions and commentary in regard to GoT, so I wonder if LF just decided they're not worth the baggage.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
EMPEROR PALPATINE
But what if I told you...violence committed to free people from slavery...is bad?

-sigh- This wasn't the point of that. This part comes from GRRM but it's about how we cheer on tyrannical methods as long as they're directed at the right people but there's nothing that says these methods won't be directed at the wrong people. If they're her enemies, Daenerys is completely merciless so what happens when the people are her enemies rather than slavers?

This was a good quote on it:

As for "Mad Dany," I would say that Dany was always kinda mad. She walked into a funeral pyre, threatened to burn cities multiple times, fed an innocent man to her dragon, engaged in collective punishment, tortured people, seems to enjoy killing her enemies, forced a man who's father she'd killed into an engagement, and burns people alive. She was always a tyrant, it's just that Dany's story embodies how tyrannical methods can be alluring when leveled against evil systems, and how a change in our perspective shows the brutal side of that tyranny in a much different light.

Dany doesn't change from good to bad, our perspective on her is what changes. Dany was good when she was destroying a system that was totally abhorrent to the viewer, and when the people were on her side. But in Westeros, the people do not choose her, and her efforts to dismantle the abhorrent system of Westeros is seen as more problematic because that system has been humanized in a way the system of Slavers Bay never was. Futhermore, Dany is corrupted by the violence she engages in, and is too consumed by her own desire to see herself at the top of that system. Ultimately the Iron Throne is a story which corrupts Daenerys.

Oct 28, 2017
yeah thats why i said he's a big disney staple. and mediocre as fuck. dude obviously has a lot of goodwill at the company due to his billion dollar hits churning out these animal movies and giving us RDJ as Iron Man (which is a big deal for sure). but god damn less movies from the guy.

Totally agreed. Favreau is like the most boring choice possible.