• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
As a kid I used to think Cyclops was clingy, Jean obsessed loser. Reading more about him and moments like these made me do a complete 180. He's the GOAT.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Cyclops left his wife and baby to go back to Jean when she first came back to life. Marvel should just embrace this aspect of his character.

You know, as an aside, it's always interesting to see which characters readers give a past when it's clear there was editorial interference at play and which ones they don't.

Like a lot of that shitty stuff with Cyclops comes down to Claremont and the Marvel offices butting heads over Claremont wanting to permanently write Cyclops out of the book and retire him and the office wanting to do an O5 reunion tour. lol

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, as an aside, it's always interesting to see which characters readers give a past when it's clear there was editorial interference at play and which ones they don't.

Like a lot of that shitty stuff with Cyclops comes down to Claremont and the Marvel offices butting heads over Claremont wanting to permanently write Cyclops out of the book and retire him and the office wanting to do an O5 reunion tour. lol
It's fucking wrong anyway.

Cyclops left because he wanted to know if Jean was alive at all and Madelyne told him not to come back. She was gone when he came back.

And I'm not saying that to mean "oh Madelyne's the bad one" I mean that it was editorial bullshit to get the O5 together, a team literally no one on Earth has ever given a shit about.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's fucking wrong anyway.

Cyclops left because he wanted to know if Jean was alive at all and Madelyne told him not to come back. She was gone when he came back.

And I'm not saying that to mean "oh Madelyne's the bad one" I mean that it was editorial bullshit to get the O5 together, a team literally no one on Earth has ever given a shit about.

Considering how Marvel literally demonized Maddy, I don't think we need to do their jobs for them here, lol.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Sorry. Still a douche.
Yeah that's the point.

He's an emotionally constipated lifelong soldier, and he's not helping that by having the world's biggest stick up his ass.

He's barely competent as a human being and enforces onto himself unsustainable standards and a ruthless dedication to the mission of creating a world that will have no need of him.

Cyclops is boring and that's a feature, not a bug. Team books need a stabilizing element, they need someone who isn't a snarling badass to balance the character interactions out.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I swear, this is why I could never get absorbed into US comic books - there are so many alternate timelines and new universes for the same characters. That's why I appreciate that manga is self-contained to one series. I think the confusion lies in the same characters being used in a variety of series. I know I would've gotten into US comic books hardcore if there was a more streamlined system to following them over the decades.

And yes, Cyclops is a boss.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Cyclops is boring and that's a feature, not a bug. Team books need a stabilizing element, they need someone who isn't a snarling badass to balance the character interactions out.

No offense but this is an absurd take in light of the past 17 years or so of Cyclops stories, even the bad ones. Stabilizing element? The radicalized mutant leader who founded a team of mutant assassins to do wetwork? Went to war with the Avengers and used the Phoenix Force to ice his father figure and mentor? Boring as a feature? Emma Frost's bae, who once went to space to murder Ord in one of the most epic X-Men scenes of all time? The dude who held mutants together through sheer force of will for years when all was lost, basically by reinventing what the X-Men were about, is, by design, boring?

The latter point is somewhat subjective - obviously I don't agree - but to say he is a stabilizing element of the roster is just incorrect, maybe all the way back to Morrison's New X-Men. He has been the central catalyst for change in many if not most major X-Men stories in the modern era. He can be serious without being stabilizing (or boring). He is all about pushing the mutant race forward through extreme solutions, that is the opposite of stabilizing.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No offense but this is an absurd take in light of the past 17 years or so of Cyclops stories, even the bad ones. Stabilizing element? The radicalized mutant leader who founded a team of mutant assassins to do wetwork? Went to war with the Avengers and used the Phoenix Force to ice his father figure and mentor? Boring as a feature? Emma Frost's bae, who once went to space to murder Ord in one of the most epic X-Men scenes of all time? The dude who held mutants together through sheer force of will for years when all was lost, basically by reinventing what the X-Men were about, is, by design, boring?

The latter point is somewhat subjective - obviously I don't agree - but to say he is a stabilizing element of the roster is just incorrect, maybe all the way back to Morrison's New X-Men. He has been the central catalyst for change in many if not most major X-Men stories in the modern era. He can be serious without being stabilizing (or boring). He is all about pushing the mutant race forward through extreme solutions, that is the opposite of stabilizing.
I have Opinions on the last two decades of X-Men, yes.

Claremont is my only canon. I don't like Cyclops as the military commander protecting the last bastion of his people, even if I think it's hilarious that he was constantly and objectively correct about everything but Marvel writers kept shitting their pants to make him seem like he was the bad guy.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I pray that one day media will move on from constantly recycling 90s boy scout Cyclops. If Feige can deliver Rightclops and Emma Frost to me then he is truly the chosen one.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a scene during the Fear Itself storyline where he states that having plans named A-Z only assumed he had 26 contingencies against the Juggernaut? Cyclops during the whole Decimation era was a boss. Even after all the attempts at character assassination ( Schism, AvsX, vs Inhumans) couldn't keep him from always being right.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
This isn't canon

The punch dimension has been confirmed to exist but hasn't been tied to Cyclops outside of the handbooks, which aren't canon. Officially he absorbs energy from the sun (and possibly other radiant sources, I can't remember) to power the beams. Some believe he absorbs energy to open the portals to the punch dimension but that hasn't been made official

Nah. I follow Gail Simone on Twitter. Cyclops has heat vision.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never.

Jubilee's back to normal now since Generation X.

Quentin Quire sacrificed his shard of the Phoenix Force to turn her back.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
Never.

Jubilee's back to normal now since Generation X.

Quentin Quire sacrificed his shard of the Phoenix Force to turn her back.

I know I know! She still spent way too long without powers and then with lame vampire powers for this 90's cartoon fan.

Oct 8, 2019
The 10s were just fucking rough for Cyclops fans, right up to Hickman

From everything I have seen it was rough for the X-men fans in general.

uncanny-avengers-5-p16.jpg

Fans hated this because it ignores that the people who forces minorities to be defined by their minority status are the majority. The Mutants have to be defined by their mutant status not because Cyclops is an asshole but because people like the Trask family or the Friends of Humanity make them be defined by their mutant status.

I listen to Cerebrocast a lot and the host Connor Goldsmith usually just skips right over anything recent outside of the Krakoan era especially Inhumans vs X-men.

This is why Hellions a book about dealing with the traumatic experiences is so good, Havok's life has been shit recently, so yeah his not mentally well, and his going to have to figure out how to deal with it.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cyclops the GOAT.

Fuck Havok, that "Hate the M-word" thing is one of the worst lines I've seen. Did Scott ever get to punch the shit out of him after that?

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
From everything I have seen it was rough for the X-men fans in general.

uncanny-avengers-5-p16.jpg

Fans hated this because it ignores that the people who forces minorities to be defined by their minority status are the majority. The Mutants have to be defined by their mutant status not because Cyclops is an asshole but because people like the Trask family or the Friends of Humanity make them be defined by their mutant status.

I listen to Cerebrocast a lot and the host Connor Goldsmith usually just skips right over anything recent outside of the Krakoan era especially Inhumans vs X-men.

This is why Hellions a book about dealing with the traumatic experiences is so good, Havok's life has been shit recently, so yeah his not mentally well, and his going to have to figure out how to deal with it.

It wasn't all bad. I mean Uncanny X-Force was the 10s and that's a top 3 X-run for me

Wolverine and the X-Men and the school hijinks in general were really fun too

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cyclops the GOAT.

Fuck Havok, that "Hate the M-word" thing is one of the worst lines I've seen. Did Scott ever get to punch the shit out of him after that?
Bendis wrote a bit in New X-Men where Kitty Pryde goes on a brutal takedown of the speech, it's great.

Then Remender has Scarlet Witch go "god shut up Rogue, Mutants don't actually have culture."

Uncanny Avengers is a wonderful disaster and every time I almost convince myself to read one of Remender's indies I go "oh right, that happened."

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I hated the vampire stuff. Marvel trying to ride that wave.
If by wave you mean the '70's sure

91Ac8nu-GYL.jpg

Dracula's been a player a long time(wanna say issue 10 of this run in '73, was when they created Blade). Dracula's been on the X-men's bad side since early on and the what if Wolverine was lord of the vampire's is from 91. Vampires have been in play in marvel a long time

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Cyclops was right. Marvel Comics did him dirty when they turned him into some lowly terrorist and killed him off-panel with the Mutant plague.
The best Cyclops ever was when he was the leader of a 198 souls wide nation as Slayven stated in this very thread. He even put aside his differences with Logan to let him do what was needed in X-Force.
Lmao man that era was so hilarious
They kept trying to make cyclops seem like a crazy extremist when the inhuman terrigen mist was literally poisoning them and humans were on their usual shenanigans
Punished cyclops was awesome

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just need to say to all those blaming bendis or people after for hank, this is the same guy who in comics wrote in the seventies made himself into a monster (his furry beast look is not part of his mutation) through unethical scientific experiments trying to "cure" Artie (also unethical) and in the 80's kept fucking with Infectia because her powers made him look human again at the cost of his intelligence.

The Watcher was right Hank's trash.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
OP please use the comic book tags so that these threads can be auto ignored

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No.

This one.

b17f5eed5463c071e37c338e5a67488b.png

Cyclops is a lot more visually interesting without wearing the cap, letting his hair free looks cooler, but the 90s design is gobbledegoop because it goes against Cyclops' utilitarian nature.

The yellow and blue thing came from Forge trying to get everyone to wear body armor.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Just need to say to all those blaming bendis or people after for hank, this is the same guy who in comics wrote in the seventies made himself into a monster (his furry beast look is not part of his mutation) through unethical scientific experiments trying to "cure" Artie (also unethical) and in the 80's kept fucking with Infectia because her powers made him look human again at the cost of his intelligence.

The Watcher was right Hank's trash.
Remember young Beast started fucking with magic ?