• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
What is generic about him?
because he looks exactly like every one of these dudes
ikkji5f4cfrqpfb0xmok.jpg

Symmetrical, ruggedly handsome white face with brunette military cut hair.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
People here may not like it, but it makes the box art stand-out, so it get's the job done (just like WItcher 3 and Spider-Man).

Also I love how CD Projekt have more stuff in standard edition than some publishers has in special, more expensive editions :)

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The box art is garbage so it's probably real.

Reminds me of the Bioshock Infinite box that everyone complained about.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Here we go! Since we don't care if a cover has anything to do with the game itself per the perfect dark thread, I just created the best cyberpunk cover!

rZ2QuQb_d.jpg
This is some of the slickest box art I've ever seen while still ticking the exact same Character/Gun/Color tone checklist of the Cyberpunk cover.

Oct 26, 2017
I can understand why they went with this, It's marketed towards people that never seen the game and will pick it up in stores by looking at the cover, not people like us who would buy it anyway.

I do however think it's a tad boring, would have been cool with some deadly cyborg looking character.

I see so there is so much talk about the guy being white. Color doesn't matter right. Should they have put a random non white dude on there? That makes sense since the main characters they shown off are both white.. I'm guessing they are sticking with what they shown in previous marketing.

I also think going with the female version of V would have made it feel to much like ghost in the shell the movie.. good call

Anyway that being said, the box art is boring yes.

Last edited:

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
So not much different from the TW3 standard boxart. It would be nice if there is a reversible cover with something more interesting.

I can't say I'm too overly fussed about cover art these days, though.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I actually really like the box art - love yellow lol. Not sure it fits the game, though. Reminds me of sports games box arts.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
because he looks exactly like every one of these dudes
ikkji5f4cfrqpfb0xmok.jpg

Symmetrical, ruggedly handsome white face with brunette military cut hair.

Ummm...no? I mean complaining there isn't more variation in characters who grace a videogame cover is one thing. But the statement that they look EXACTLY the same is not only off base, it's simply false. The only thing they have in common is they're white and male, that's it. If you see them all as EXACTLY the same then that's a you problem, not anyone else.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I really don't care about the box art. But this is a game about customization, do whatever - and they put that dude on the cover instead of something that is realizing the world.

Just put the world on the cover.

cyberpunk-2077-building-a-sci-fi-open-world-gamescom-2018_1gz7.620.jpg

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
All that gorgeous concept artwork and they went with gun dude pausing to wonder if he left the iron on.

Marketing sucks.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I need it so badly. Maybe the CE will have a way better cover - it should feature Night City. So much beautiful concept art, not like this!

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Box art is great. I hope it's the same for the digital version. I love simple artworks.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
You know, I really don't care about the box art. But this is a game about customization, do whatever - and they put that dude on the cover instead of something that is realizing the world.

Just put the world on the cover.

cyberpunk-2077-building-a-sci-fi-open-world-gamescom-2018_1gz7.620.jpg

Nah I don't think that would work. It would be too out of context and ugly as compared to typical boxarts. I would've gone with something like this

2948886_0.jpg

Obviously it would need to be a cleaner image but you get the gist of it. Instantly recognizable to those who have been following Cyberpunk but also simplistic enough of a front cover to draw peoples attention.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's with the yellow background tho?

It's to symbolize daylight because they know how well a lot of people responded to there being daylight in Cyberpunk.

Most likely it's because neon plays a notable role in the world and bright yellow neon is one of the most eye-catching colours of neon.

If the cover is reversible which would make sense and be good, I suspect yellow will all of a sudden grow on everyone.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Credit where it's due, CDPR certainly go that extra mile and know how to make a tasty standard edition for their games.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
The only conclusion I can come to whenever I read threads about Boxart is that people have to get these tatooed to their bodies. It always baffles me how literally every box art reveal is gamers losing their shit on how horrible it is, does it matter?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I had no idea that the box art threads are that serious and heated, God damn people

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
The only conclusion I can come to whenever I read threads about Boxart is that people have to get these tatooed to their bodies. It always baffles me how literally every box art reveal is gamers losing their shit on how horrible it is, does it matter?
This.

Who really buys boxed games? And if they do, are they going to frame the box and stick it on their wall?

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
That would look too busy though.
Nah I don't think that would work. It would be too out of context and ugly as compared to typical boxarts. I would've gone with something like this

2948886_0.jpg

Obviously it would need to be a cleaner image but you get the gist of it. Instantly recognizable to those who have been following Cyberpunk but also simplistic enough of a front cover to draw peoples attention.

That wasn't the cover I was suggesting, just the idea.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That wasn't the cover I was suggesting, just the idea.

You really think this would sell the game? Maybe for the sequel because as of right now nobody knows that logo or even anything in the world of CP77.

The official boxart looks a lot like The Witcher 3's. I think this will be the design for all CDPR games going forward.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I'm surprised anyone is surprised by the cover. CDPR loves their generic white dudes. Though that yellow is just plain unappealing.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I believe it was Jason Screier that said 2019 absolutely isn't happening.

He flipflopped on himself hard. Not 2019... maybe 2019... maybe 2019 or 2020... 19 with delay to 20.. who knows? :shrug.emoji:

At least he has all his bases covered so no matter what people will say he was right.

But wait, Thronebreaker, that isn't Geralt, bet it's another generic white dude

Ii453xq.jpg

Hold on... did you just gender swap Meve so she fits your agenda?

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
This.

Who really buys boxed games? And if they do, are they going to frame the box and stick it on their wall?
Lmao nobody actually cares to the point that they're losing their minds. It's just there's not really much else to be talking about when this thread is about the contents of the physical version of the game leaking lol

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He flipflopped on himself hard. Not 2019... maybe 2019... maybe 2019 or 2020... 19 with delay to 20.. who knows? :shrug.emoji:

At least he has all his bases covered so no matter what people will say he was right.

Hold on... did you just gender swap Meve so she fits your agenda?

What? I was poking fun at the original comment because outside of The Witcher staring Geralt the next character CDPR created was a woman.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I'm genuinely wondering if there's a person alive that got suddenly interested in a video game because of the cover dude and his gun.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So this is out within this year then? I'm saying March 2020, isn't that a similar time to when the witcher wild hunt released?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
What? I was poking fun at the original comment because outside of The Witcher staring Geralt the next character CDPR created was a woman.

Somehow my brain missed context and went over my head. Fuck.

I'm genuinely wondering if there's a person alive that got suddenly interested in a video game because of the cover dude and his gun.

To be fair neon yellow will make it pop hard from shelves and people are likely to pick it up so check out back cover.