• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'll probably add proper SSD support. Game probably won't have any load screens in 2021 and will be able to stream the open world city much better.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I hope they are smart enough to implement an "unlocked framerate" mode. Even if it's completely useless for One and PS4 cause it only hovers slightly over 30 or sometimes 40 and nobody would or should play it this way.
But an unlocked framerate mode would be future proof for next gen consoles and could run pretty well without them even having to release any patch.

But what am I dreaming, of course they aren't foresighted enough for doing something like this.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'll be waiting, I'm not so excited to play it day one so I'm fine putting it off for a bit. The winter months will probably be busy enough as-is, too.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think I'll wait til the next gen patches arrive then. I will play AC Valhalla and Halo in November through January. I think I'll be fine waiting some more for the definitive version.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like what they are going to do is to use the Pro/X enhancement and just allow them to be "boosted" with the next gen hardware.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Good, will play it on PS5 in November with slight upgrades and then dig into the DLCs in 2021 when the more substantial free upgrade hits.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I will be curious if you have to purchase the game by a certain time in order to get the next gen version free. Because if they do do an actual next gen version, I can't imagine it will go over well when they charge $60 for it knowing that people can probably get the last gen version for much cheaper at that point and get a free upgrade.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'll see how reviews pan out first, and then I'll wait for the next-gen update in 2021 to actually play.

I'm more interested in how well this game kinda lives up to the image I've created about it in my head based on the long gameplay demos I've seen. I've personally doubted fidelity from those demos on current-gen consoles from the beginning, and I'm not super interested in trying to play it on a next-gen console without full proper optimization first.

But, the most important thing is just seeing where the reality of this game lands compared to the perception the marketing has created. That's the one thing I'm not so sure on. I don't feel like what I'm expecting is terribly unreasonable given what they've shown (and no, I don't actually expect any sort of massive revolution for the open world genre) but despite Witcher 3 turning out rather great in my opinion, I feel like what they're going for here is way more ambitious and risky.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
This actually makes my decision tougher. I mostly play on Xbox One X at the moment. But if I buy a next gen console it's more than likely going to be a PS5. So a tough choice.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Nah, PC version is PC version. Whether that looks next-gen or not is going to depend on your hardware.

www.pcgamer.com

Cyberpunk 2077 will support Nvidia RTX ray tracing at launch

Check out some 4K ray traced screenshots.
Makes no sense. If the enhancements are ready for PC day 1, then it should be ready for next gen consoles day 1 as well.

So yeah, it must be something beyond RTX integration such as enhanced AI, density, npc count etc. will need proper development time to realize. I don't think PC will support it day 1.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure what the difference is going to be.

Take the PS4 version, increase the res, double the frame rate, bump things up to high/ultra, fine by me.

Will the full/fat next gen version be raytracing and ultra textures and 3D audio? Not waiting for that one I think.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
I was holding off for a next-gen version, but if I can play different levels of fidelity (PS4, PS4 boosted, PS5) with a single copy of the PS4 version, I'm going Day One !

(I'll probably buy the complete edition with DLCs on PS5 anyway)

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Makes no sense. If the enhancements are ready for PC day 1, then it should be ready for next gen consoles day 1 as well.

So yeah, it must be something beyond RTX integration such as enhanced AI, density, npc count etc. will need proper development time to realize. I don't think PC will support it day 1.
The reason why it could not be Day 1 release for Next Gen hardware having PC features is because the critical staff who would be responsible for technical porting are doing other things. They are probably spending crazy amount of time between now and release making sure the game is not a complete shitshow on last gen (which we have yet to see even one bit of media from) and polishing up the PC release.

That is much more likely than some weird scenario where they are holding back the PC version for a patch to bring it up to next gen consoles.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Good to see at least one developer confirm that there'll be a free next-gen upgrade for owners of the game.

GuiltyGB

Apr 6, 2020
So pretty much the same as every other CDPR game, anyone who's played most of their pc offerings knows that they update the game a ton after launch. HD texture packs etc

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I think I would wait for the next-gen versions...

Game is massive and doubt I'll be playing through it twice

Betta Lines

Oct 25, 2017
Without trying to derail the thread, is this an indication of how it will work with TLOU2 as well? Playable on PS5 from day one, will look better on PS5 from day one, bigger update to come later (or maybe even day one), and an official release on PS5 that owners of the PS4 game get for free?

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
Not surprising considering Witcher 3 received updates for years. Makes no difference to me since i'm definitely doing multiple playthroughs.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England

The PC won't be getting the next gen enhancements at launch either. It will be a proper next gen patch and improve on all the things you mentioned there and probably more.

Last edited:

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
no, I'm guessing the upgrades will be for consoles (raytracing, etc). the pc will have all the bells and whistles from day one.

The PC version at launch will just have better resolution and frame rate while sporting some more advanced effects.

The 2021 next gen patch will improve on everything. So greater NPC density, improved AI, maybe changes to specific areas to take advantage of the SSDs and probably a lot more.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
The PC version at launch will just have better resolution and frame rate while sporting some more advanced effects.

The 2021 next gen patch will improve on everything. So greater NPC density, improved AI, maybe changes to specific areas to take advantage of the SSDs and probably a lot more.
no, the update next year is for consoles.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Really cool that it will still benefit from the new systems on day one.

But I don't like it one bit that we might not see anything next week. Why not show us a piece of gameplay? The game is done, they are fixing bugs now. If not at this event/thing, then where?

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So.. If I buy this for ps4, and ps5 launches a month later so I put the disc in ps5 to play it on the new console, does the save carry over via psn?

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

This makes no sense. Just because they have enhancements ready for PC, that doesn't mean they're optimised for consoles yet. Especially consoles that aren't even out yet. That's not how game developments.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
They'll probably add proper SSD support. Game probably won't have any load screens in 2021 and will be able to stream the open world city much better.

Would be great if true but I wonder how much modification it takes to add in proper SSD support? I suppose it's going to be non existent for the current gen version.

I recently played Deus ex 2 on my PC and the load times were terrible, making zero use of my ssd speed. Really dreading the load times when I finally get to play this game.

Oct 29, 2017
Will this game have expansions?

A nice thing about TW3 is that the full game with all the dlc was so long that I started playing vanilla around April 2015, but still got to experience every patch as they came out in an single playthrough.

An expansion in late 2021 is a good enough reason to come back and see what the next gen improvements are, if you finished the whole game in 2020.

Last edited:

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar

Day 1 PS5/XSX is probably just brute forcing things without properly optimising it.

Whereas the 2021 update will be as if it was built for the PS5 ground up.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Waiting for 2021 then, I doubt I would re-play such large game Twice (I tried with The Witcher 3, which is a cult game for me, but, it's just too much for me). I hope this won't have too much impact on their sales. I'm sure the game deserves to be played even without the Next Gen version, but the timing is uncanny.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I hope that the first batch of upgrades will be stabilized or unlocked framerate/XBX quality assets/native4K/faster loading.