• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

No third person. Is this a deal-breaker?

• Yes

Votes: 330 14.4%
  • No

Votes: 1,955 85.6%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
It's a legitimately stupid choice for a cyberpunk game, but it's not a deal breaker. Their transphobic bullshit on the other hand?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. Its a gameplay choice they did for the cybernetic eyes aspect.

Also, why bring this discussion again when we already had a poll and everything when the trailers were released?

Something a little more new that could be cool to talk is that they confirmed cyberpunk to have dubs in nearly every language that is going to be released, something that started with Thronebreaker (the quality dub of the castillian spanis version is amazing btw).
This would be the first giant RPG with make your own character and multiple choices to do this (if you dont count odyssey were the choices part is not that substantia) so is incredible they are going the extra mile for every country.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
It would be nice to have it for visual gratification of our character, but other than that, no, it's not a deal breaker for me.

Deus Ex is a great example of mixing the two.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's a shame you won't be able to see your cool cyborg lady that often but it's certainly not a deal breaker. It looks like it's going to be first person only for a reason.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
If the game is designed with FP in mind I dont care, I would not like a half assed third person view like Elder scrolls or fallout.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I would only be interested if they're targeting 60fps on next-gen consoles, because FPS games don't translate well at 30.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
For console yes, I don't get how people play first person games with traditional controls on gamepads..crazy kids.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind. I'm more concerned with how well it will perform on my PC hardware. First-person games with keyboard and mouse at sub-60fps can feel rough.

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Possibly. I'm really prone to motion sickness, especially in small areas like corridors.
Otherwise it wouldn't matter to me much, though I do prefer 3rd person over 1st.

Moonwater

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Since when first person is a deal-breaker?
Some people are prone to motion sickness, which can be triggered more frequently in a first person POV. For me, it depends on the speed of movement vs the scale and distance of the environment ; for example, I was able to play Halo with few issues however I couldn't last 10 mins playing Timesplitters. I can tell from that clip I might not be able to tolerate it, but I need to see more first.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After watching the demo I thought two things.

First one was, "Holy shit! This game looks phenomenal! Makes sense why they would want to go first person."

Second was, "I feel sick and my head hurts now I can't play this. I wish they had a 3rd person option. I'm going to have to skip this game."

Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be one of those rare games that's going to be next level amazing and I won't be able to play because it's 1st person.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
No because i expect a first person game to be first person anyway. I can play every perspective.

Also some people who demand a third person mode like they are entitled to it are weird.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
After watching the demo I thought two things.

First one was, "Holy shit! This game looks phenomenal! Makes sense why they would want to go first person."

Second was, "I feel sick and my head hurts now I can't play this. I wish they had a 3rd person option. I'm going to have to skip this game."

Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be one of those rare games that's going to be next level amazing and I won't be able to play because it's 1st person.

I feel for you. Do all first person games affect you? I get motion sickness from seemingly random games. Half Life 2 being the worst. Great game which I can never play in long stints...

Fez and the rotation landscape being the most bizzare. Messes me right up!

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
No. I believe they would be in a better position than me to decide what works best for the game they're making.
The only problem I've ever had with first person is if the FOV is too narrow. I don't get motion sick, but it's really annoying to have no peripheral vision, like you're always zoomed in, looking through a straw. But this hasn't been a problem since Bad Company on consoles.

CDProjekt's transphobia and following poor responses failing to acknowledge, apologize or make amends, making those tweets seem in line with company values, was the dealbreaker.

Last edited:

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Not at all. Since I was always going to play it in First Person, I welcome it being designed around First Person view

Oct 28, 2017
No, CDPR are creating the game the way they feel will work best and so far I've no reason to doubt them. If a third person option did happen though I'd be pretty happy about it.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
After the watching the 45min gameplay video, I don't think that this kind of immersion would work in 3rd person. Actually, I'm kind of annoyed by Deus Ex switching to third person when climbing ladders or knocking out people, especially when Mirror's Edge showed how awesome close-combat and takedowns can be from the first perspective.

So, no deal breaker for me.

For the people getting motion sickness from 1st perspective: did you tried such games at different locked frame rates? As ridiculous it may sound, I get motion sickness from FPS games at very high refresh and frame rates. Above 100 and it is so ('unnatural') smooth that I really get this kind of sickness. 70 and lower, no issues. Maybe, if you haven't tried that, it's something worth trying out, and see if there's a connection between motion sickness and frame rate as it is for me.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
This was asked I believe during the reveal playthrough way back and I see its still the same response mostly ;)

Absolutly no problem with FP only,sure a toggle would be great but would make it work too different from what they want it to be I think and probably more delays.I want to play it nowwwwwwwwwwwww ;)

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel for you. Do all first person games affect you? I get motion sickness from seemingly random games. Half Life 2 being the worst. Great game which I can never play in long stints...

Fez and the rotation landscape being the most bizzare. Messes me right up!

Years ago I played a first person dungeon crawler that didn't mess with me too much on the DS called Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey. That's literally the only FPP game that I've ever played to it's end.

Every FPS or FPP game I've tried including VR stuff made me feel sick.

It sucks but there's not much for me to say with out triggering a debate. Up until it was revealed that Cyberpunk 2077 was FPP I've spent year learning up on the lore of Cyberpunk 2020 and talking about this game with family and friends who at that time had no clue what Cyberpunk was. Lol..

Moonwater

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
After the watching the 45min gameplay video, I don't think that this kind of immersion would work in 3rd person. Actually, I'm kind of annoyed by Deus Ex switching to third person when climbing ladders or knocking out people, especially when Mirror's Edge showed how awesome close-combat and takedowns can be from the first perspective.

So, no deal breaker for me.

For the people getting motion sickness from 1st perspective: did you tried such games at different locked frame rates? As ridiculous it may sound, I get motion sickness from FPS games at very high refresh and frame rates. Above 100 and it is so ('unnatural') smooth that I really get this kind of sickness. 70 and lower, no issues. Maybe, if you haven't tried that, it's something worth trying out, and see if there's a connection between motion sickness and frame rate as it is for me.
Thanks for this, it might explain why my motion sickness can be really random with certain games including 3rd person ones. I wish there was a "maybe" in the poll.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It is. Not a fan of games like this in first person. The fact you can drive and stuff in third person makes the decision even stupider I think.

Deleted member 24417

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely not, first person is the right choice, third person wouldn't suit lots of augmentations, it wouldn't be so immersive.