• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This is good news! "Take features of men and features of women and mix them all up" is maybe a somewhat naive way of thinking of GNC folks, but this is at least good for a start.

Definitely seems like damage control after the whole "This woman with a ten inch schlong is supposed to be THOUGHT-PROVOKING" but I won't complain about giving options and representation. Hopefully it's handled well.
Apropos of nothing, but that wasn't 10 inches lol. Came up to her bellybutton seemingly, so it wasn't even all that big.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Exciting news. I've been down on this game for a while, but this is a great step in the right direction.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did this just become the first AAA to confirm trans and non-binary player options? I know on a slightly smaller publishing scale there was the great support of Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines 2, so kudos there
This is what I'm wondering too. Good progress for AAA space.

What do you mean by "confirm"?

Saints Row: The Third lets players make transgender and non-binary characters.
Is Saints Row AAA? That was many years ago too. How about games from the big 3, or the other major AAA publishers?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Well hopefully they do this well and set an example for other big titles. If not then its just going to look doubly bad considering whats been happening prior.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
This is what I'm wondering too. Good progress for AAA space.

Is Saints Row AAA? That was many years ago too. How about games from the big 3, or the other major AAA publishers?
Saints Row: The Third is definitely a AAA game. To answer your question though, South Park: The Fractured But Whole (developed and published by Ubisoft) lets you play as a trans or non-binary person although the game has its own bag of worms and tired bullshit that I don't really care to open right now.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I want to give them a chance, but why do I think they're going unlock gendered options and think they've solved transphobia?

Like, I legit think they'll just let you pick a feminine body with a masculine jaw and eyebrows and voice or something and think that solves everything.

If they don't at least allow selecting pronouns, it's an empty gesture, I feel.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I want to give them a chance, but why do I think they're going unlock gendered options and think they've solved transphobia?

Like, I legit think they'll just let you pick a feminine body with a masculine jaw and eyebrows and voice or something and think that solves everything.

Why would you need to pick pronouns? If you pick your gender, and you're able to customize your character's physical traits without any gender restrictions, then there should be no need, no?

Or are you talking about non-binary pronouns?

Oct 25, 2017

Well, one of the big things that is fundamentally trying to be solved here is just CDP/CDPR's historically poor attitude towards trans people -- so yeah, if they are going out of their way to put a character creator in the game that supports allowing a trans person the ability to at least partially get some representation, that is a nice start to a dialogue and considering the amount of work it will be for them as an originally unplanned aspect, that's no empty gesture in my opinion.

But no, it doesn't solve everything. A dialogue is a dialogue, not a statement; CDPR needs to do better, but I think this shows that they are at least listening, which, ironically, is more than what half of the posters do in CDPR threads dealing with trans people on Era.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Boom.

I'll eat my crow when I said I doubt they'd have gender-locked character creation. Big step in letting their actions speak
Same, holy shit, I was NOT expecting this. But I'm super. super glad to hear it.

I can certainly understand why it's not enough for some trans people, and I sincerely hope that perhaps it is more like they'd hoped at launch or perhaps via patches. It should absolutely be done.

See I was under the impression that you'd be able to choose your pronouns/gender based on what's being said here. It'd be awfully awkward if they just refer to you as, like, "that person" or "V". But perhaps that's me being too wishful in my thinking after having my expectations blown out of the water and my own cis privilege in just assuming that's what's gonna have to happen based on what they're saying.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

I do hope there's a pronoun choice but... they are gonna complicate things for localizations, since there's no equivalent of the singular "they" in many languages (such as French).

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Okay, that's good. I'm still not sold on their treatment of these subjects, but at least they are making a clear effort, so I'll give them credit for that.

This. Hopefully it comes to fruition, both because that would be a positive step forward for representation in video games and because it's an important aspect of this specific sub genre that shouldn't be ignored, the concept of identity as being multifaceted as well as gender.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you need to pick pronouns? If you pick your gender, and you're able to customize your character's physical traits without any gender restrictions, then there should be no need, no?

Or are you talking about non-binary pronouns?

I was talking like, 3 options. He or She or They/Them - so essentially Masculine, Feminine, and Non-Binary. Unless every time your character is referred to, it's as V, but we know that isn't the case.

Well, one of the big things that is fundamentally trying to be solved here is just CDP/CDPR's historically poor attitude towards trans people -- so yeah, if they are going out of their way to put a character creator in the game that supports allowing a trans person the ability to at least partially get some representation, that is a nice start to a dialogue and considering the amount of work it will be for them as an originally unplanned aspect, that's no empty gesture in my opinion.

But no, it doesn't solve everything. A dialogue is a dialogue, not a statement; CDPR needs to do better, but I think this shows that they are at least listening, which, ironically, is more than what half of the posters do in CDPR threads dealing with trans people on Era.

Yeah, simply unlocking gendered options so people can make a character of that nature is a good start, but to make up for everything so far it'd need to be a step further than that - either pronouns or a third body type, like androgynous? I'm not sure.

I can certainly understand why it's not enough for some trans people, and I sincerely hope that perhaps it is more like they'd hoped at launch or perhaps via patches. It should absolutely be done. See I was under the impression that you'd be able to choose your pronouns/gender based on what's being said here. It'd be awfully awkward if they just refer to you as, like, "that person" or "V". But perhaps that's me being too wishful in my thinking after having my expectations blown out of the water and my own cis privilege in just assuming that's what's gonna have to happen based on what they're saying.

I assume that currently, the body type chosen at the beginning decides if the world views you as a more feminine entity or masculine entity, though it could be tied to voice instead. I wonder which would be more accepted by the trans community?

Regardless, a better, third option would be a proper pronoun option, third body type option, or both. Though pronouns make other character's lines more expensive to record, as any that use them when referring to V would need additional recording/lines.

I do hope there's a pronoun choice but... they are gonna complicate things for localizations, since there's no equivalent of the singular "they" in many languages (such as French).

Yeah, that sucks - I'm sure there are alternatives used by the communities in those areas that cover those bases though - unless all LGBTQ+ people in France just accept the binary, which I doubt.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was this designed to be implemented from the start, being a surprise for players or was this a recent development, a strategy concocted to sidestep their recent controversy and regain goodwill?

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I was talking like, 3 options. He or She or They/Them - so essentially Masculine, Feminine, and Non-Binary. Unless every time your character is referred to, it's as V, but we know that isn't the case.
So, it's an empty gesture unless they account for something that would apply to under a percentage of cases?

I mean, again, like I said, it'd be really cool if they did this. But to call all their efforts an empty gesture just because they're like 70% there instead of 71% there seems quite unreasonable.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Was this designed to be implemented from the start, being a surprise for players or was this a recent development, a strategy concocted to sidestep their recent controversy and regain goodwill?

They said they were looking into it about a year ago. So I assume the former but they probably announced it now to counter the current backlash.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So, it's an empty gesture unless they account for something that would apply to under a percentage of cases?

I mean, again, like I said, it'd be really cool if they did this. But to call all their efforts an empty gesture just because they're like 70% there instead of 71% there seems quite unreasonable.

I guess I should have been more clear when I was saying something like that. What I meant was that, if all they are doing is unlocking the voice/body type/face options from each other and allowing people to the 'male' and 'female' character creation options that are already there, that's the easiest thing for them to do. It takes some tweaking to the models and parts required but it's doable with mostly gamedev experience, and wouldn't require re-recorded lines, etc.

But whether or not it's having a dedicated non-binary voice/body/face type or having pronouns choice, or having body mods/augs that specifically touch on these subjects that people can equip without penalty, I think that the above on its own isn't quite enough. I feel like it'd be the difference between a C+ and a B+.

It's still a pass, but if it was as advanced and fleshed out as everything else in this world seems to be, then it would be more in-depth.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Execution is still up in the air, but this seems like a good step in the right direction. How they handle both this and the less than stellar racial stuff we heard about earlier in the actual story is the real thing to see. This still goes to show that bringing offensive shit to peoples attention and criticizing what needs to be criticized can enact positive change.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Nonbinary can be as easy as adding a third option to the Gender selector like Battletech did. Sure the usual suspects bitched about that but fuck them.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nonbinary can be as easy as adding a third option to the Gender selector like Battletech did. Sure the usual suspects bitched about that but fuck them.

What about when characters in the world refer to V without the name? He? She? They?

At the very least they'd need to add a third, non-binary option like they/them to match, or people would still see the game treat them as a binary.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
What about when characters in the world refer to V without the name? He? She? They?

At the very least they'd need to add a third, non-binary option like they/them to match, or people would still see the game treat them as a binary.

Could be there is a chip in V's head that informs anyone around about their preferred pronoun, but I wouldn't count on it. Most likely npcs will still refer to you as he/she and the non binary option is just something the player picks in CC for their own roleplay.

Jun 26, 2018
While I do feel this is a step in the right direction, I still have my doubts they'll be able to execute properly on it, but we'll see once it's out.

However I'm not a fan of him saying people make conclusions after 1 tweet or 1 article, because it denies the repeated mocking attitude they've had towards trans people, that they have been directly implicit in, on their official Cyberpunk twitter and the GOG twitter as well. Something they have yet to properly condemn or clear up their stance on.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I hope CDPR doesn't fuck this up; a game of this size supporting non-binary and trans character creation, and maybe that having an effect on possible interactions/dialogue would be huge. There's a lot of doubt and it's well justified, but ultimately we'll have to see what the final product is.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017

They can give a text option asking you on how you want the NPCs to address you where you can select whether you identified as a he or she regardless of gender and appearance? I feel that could help a lot, now is whether they would implement it or not.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We already saw the character creator about a year ago, so we know that it's not something that's planned for the start. I remember at the time people were already asking for more options, so ideally they've already worked on it since then based on the feedback.

Last edited:

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We already saw the character creator about a year ago, so we know that it's not something that's planned for the start. I remember at the time people were already asking for more options, so ideally they've already worked on it since then based on the feedback.

I dont follow this game intensely, I saw the E3 footage last year and was going off info in the OP where it said people had not seen the full character creator and that CDPR had shied away from questions about it in the past. Dont edit my posts in the future.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dont follow this game intensely, I saw the E3 footage last year and was going off info in the OP where it said people had not seen the full character creator and that CDPR had shied away from questions about it in the past. Dont edit my posts in the future.
Wait, I'm sorry. I was intending to quote Travaughn but somehow I mistakenly linked to you instead.

Last edited:

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they took the criticism and listened. I'll await to see how well they implement this, but hey, it's a good step in the right direction.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
This is a great sign that CD Project RED is taking criticisms to heart. Even if they've made some misteps in the past, there's always time to change course and start doing the right thing and they should be applauded for it.

Oct 27, 2017
Hope they manage it, something I liked about Dauntless was the options were feminine or masculine body types and nothing is locked by that, so beards, all hair, anything goes.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Wasn't that known since last year? I swear I remember reading something like that already about the character creator.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
It's weird that they've been so quiet on this front until recently huh

I kinda expect these sorts of options to be accounted for from the start for a cyberpunk game, but at least it's in now

The Sims 4 did it pretty easily. They have options for physical frame and ability to get pregnant. All clothes are gender neutral.

That's pretty interesting, didn't know they did this

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
This is actually progress IMO, and the people here arguing that this is an easy task, aren't taking entire dialogues, voice acting, cutscenes into account. Remember when they had to re-do a lot of voice work for Red Dead Redemption 2 after that cutscene thing? Even if this fails as being something convincing, I'd still appreciate the effort, because no other triple-A game has actually done this in my knowledge.

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
Even sticking with binary options and allowing the 'male' or 'female' voice track to play for either would complicate things. Depending on how much V refers to themselves as their chosen gender ie, "give a girl a break!", or for localisations into languages like Japanese where even referring to yourself is gendered.

My feeling is that it is probably going to be more that you can customise your body and even potentially your genitalia regardless of the chosen gender.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I don't trust them to get it 100% right but I'm glad they at least appear to be trying. That helps normalize the attempt to get this right, and eventually others will join in.

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive and Antagonistic Commentary Surrounding Concerns of Transphobia; Previous Severe Infraction Related to Bigotry
Once again ERA went full cuckoo's nest for absolutely nothing. This site is embarrising at times.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
The Sims 4 did it pretty easily. They have options for physical frame and ability to get pregnant. All clothes are gender neutral.
The Sims 4 doesn't really have any form of clear language. CP is a RPG so it will have a lot of dialogue adressing the main character as a male/female/non-binairy. It takes a lot of thought to tailor the dialogues according the changes you make to your character before and maybe while playing the game.