• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Per Gamasutra

Z523tunkd5RINtXH.jpg
After a week grappling with controversy over the depiction of a sexualized transgender woman in Cyberpunk, a CD Projekt Red developer has told Gamasutra that the team is hoping to allow better gender representation through the in-game character creator.

The comment came during a longer conversation with quest director Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz that took place after developers and players expressed anger and frustration online over the in-game ad. Yesterday, Polygon was able to speak with one of the developers who worked on the ad. They offered some explanation and context about its inclusion in the game, but did not comment on if players would be able to play as transgender, nonbinary, or otherwise gender non-conforming characters themselves.

According to Tomaskiewicz, CD Projekt Red is hoping that when the character creator is finished, players will be able to customize their physical traits and voice to better match the gender they'd like to express. The company has previously shied away from confirming any details on its character creation system, stating in E3 presentations this year and last that it's a work in progress.

Tomaszkiewicz's comments appear to be the closest the team has been able to confirm this kind of character creation, which has been a topic journalists and other developers have been asking about given the game's themes about body modification and self-expression.

The challenges CD Projekt Red is facing with its depiction of transgender characters is one other game developers are also grappling with as they design character creators and work to define different forms of player expression. Transgender people in America and different parts of the globe face disproportionately high levels of violence and poverty, which often go hand-in-hand with stereotypical or hateful depictions that occur in video games or other media.

Other game developers hoping to be inclusive of transgender, nonbinary, or gender-fluid players have begun implementing game functions that ask for their preferred pronouns or offering gender-neutral options in the character creator.

And for Tomaskiewicz's comments in their full context:

G: We haven't seen the full character selection screen. The team said it wasn't finished yet. There are still many changes you all are making to the game. Has the team at all considered, given their use of [trans] characters like that in the game to depict cyberpunk, has the team thought about giving players that kind of choice over their character, to give themselves similar representation? And if they're not, has the team considered the gap between portraying characters like that, and limiting what you can have your players represent themselves as?
T:
Of course. It's a very sensitive and important subject I believe. We have put a lot of thought into this. One of the things we want to do in the final game (which we couldn't show in the demo yet, because as you mentioned it's a work in progress) is to give the players as many options of customization in the beginning of the game as we can. For example, we want to do this thing where, as you create your character, after you choose the body type, you can, for example, use physical traits as you build your face that could be assigned to a man or a woman.

G: Or nonbinary?
T:
Or nonbinary. The idea is to mix all of those up, to give them to the players, as they would like to build it. Same goes for the voice. We wanted to separate this out, so the players can choose it freely. This is something we are still working on, it's not as easy as it sounds. This is one part of it. In terms of how we depict the characters within the setting itself, of course, yes, we are paying a lot of attention to it, we do not want anyone to feel like we are neglecting this, or treating it wrongly.

Marcin (CDPR's co-founder) also commented on this in an interview with Newsweek, stating that the game will have a gender-fluid character creator

Marcin Iwinski, the co-founder of CDPR, told Newsweek that they have heard the criticisms and that gender fluidity will be a part of the Cyberpunk 2077 character creator. He explained the binary male/female choice on display at E3 2019, like many other aspects of the demo, is not representative of the final product.

"This is not final and actually we'll enable that," he said when asked if there would be gender fluidity in the game. "There will be full fluidity and on top of that you'll be able to choose the male or female voice. Whatever you please."

Unfortunately, one person's pleasure is another person's politics. There has been disagreement among Cyberpunk 2077 fans online whether CDPR needs to even address these issues. However, transhumanism is a major theme within the cyberpunk genre. To omit it from a game called "Cyberpunk" would do a disservice to the creators who have contributed to the space.

"Throughout the history of cyberpunk there's been stories told where it's just blended into the fabric that you can change your body," Danny Lore, a Hugo-nominated science fiction editor and creator of the Vault Comics series Queen of Bad Dreams, told Newsweek. "How that world treats that transformation affects trans people- whether or not they want to transition- on a deep level."

Lore, who identifies as non-binary, explained this is part of the reason why the trans community has a special affinity for the cyberpunk genre. How explicitly it deals with transhumanism speaks to something that is often missing in the real world.

"Transhumanism is important to a lot of trans people because so much of it is about body politics and having control over your body/representation," they said. "That you're not hated for doing, that you're not hated for being."

Iwinski said CDPR will explore that in Cyberpunk 2077.

"How we depict the world, at least for me, has a feeling that it's touching on contemporary society's problems, human problems, like the role of machines and transhumanism," he said.

CDPR's critics, Lore included, say the company is not touching on those issues with the sensitivity or nuance required. And a character creator that includes gender fluidity needs to be more than just skin deep.

"Dealing with it via character creator is messy if that's the main conceit," Lore said. "A world with true gender fluidity is more than just 'what a character looks like.'"

Iwinski said CDPR is not afraid of criticism like this, and values the feedback from fans whether it's positive or negative. But he hopes players are willing to experience the story for themselves before dismissing the game or putting labels on it, and its creators.

"People draw conclusions after one tweet, one article, anything out there," he said. "For our games, experience them. Give them a go. Then you can express your opinion, not base your opinion on a few tiny little details. It is a huge living, breathing world and there are a lot of reasons for the things that are in there, and the things that are not in there."

Iwinski is confident that CDPR will find an audience by staying true to its story, but he is aware it might find a divided one.

"We will be very honest. And I think in telling the story the way you want to tell it gamers will judge if they like it or not," he said. "Ethical perspective or gameplay perspective, I think there will be a lot of opinions for sure."

Last edited:

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, that's good. I'm still not sold on their treatment of these subjects, but at least they are making a clear effort, so I'll give them credit for that.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It's great that they're adding non-binary options, but I don't think I really understand what the point of adding trans options to the character creator is. Wouldn't transwomen just choose female in the options?

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I hope they pull it off. They have a dodgy past with the subject, but them including trans/nb options in the character creator of a big and hyped up AAA RPG would be huge and set a positive example for the rest of the industry.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Hey, that's pretty cool! They've been really bad with trans issues before so a step in the right direction is welcome. Specially in a game as big as Cyberpunk

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
The very concept of a cyberpunk game tackling transhumanism not having Non binary options from day zero is absurd.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
It's great that they're adding non-binary options, but I don't think I really understand what the point of adding trans options to the character creator is. Wouldn't transwomen just choose female in the options?
I think it would come down more to the kinds of interactions you can have.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
It's progress for sure. Hopefully we'll see how it's implemented in the coming months.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not. There's likely a lot of dialogue they'd have to add.
I mean, if they already had the option for male and female pronouns, they likely already use a lot of singular they which is a pretty safe route to go, and something Pokemon has managed since Sun and Moon.

Like, it's not that much if the character creator allows you to be NB but then the game itself doesn't acknowledge it.

It's amazing what just being an option means. I'd honestly be much more concerned if they didn't try and keep it simple... I don't trust them to be able to pull off something deeper than surface level.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they look to Dauntless and Saints Row series for how to make an inclusive character creator. Both have great, non-conforming gender options.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know. Seems like even though they might not be up to speed on everything, they're trying. It makes sense that in the future of dramatic body augmentations that a trans or nobinary identity would be considered perfectly normal.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hesitant to ask what "transgender options" look like for this very reason. I'm all for making all options open to all characters. I feel like that's good for most games and I'd like to see it.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm happy to hear this. Previously, even when asked directly, they couldn't really make a meaningful statement on what to expect. That said, I worry how limited the conversation shifts stemming from it might be, just considering how recently they planned to have the whole game buttoned-up this year.

I...I do wonder what they interpret trans options looking like. More or less, I hope they reach out to the community for concepts to work with.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they probably want it to have some impact on how the story folds out and how NPCs treat you. Like, it's not that much if the character creator allows you to be NB but then the game itself doesn't acknowledge it.
Well they got some time. Plus it doesn't need to be all created from nothing, i'm sure they have templates within the game.

laser

Feb 17, 2018
This shows how much feedback and making a fuss is important. Moderately hopeful that it will be implemented well. I have a morbid curiosity on how some other people that might now be so happy with this are reacting, lol.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Nice, this is what I was hoping for. They really need to go all out on the character creator.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
This shows how much feedback and making a fuss is important.
Preach. The amount of people on Era downplaying this must sure look like fools, especially considering that CDPR clearly take these criticisms to heart. To see that they've been listening and are making changes where necessary is a good thing.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is true with the amount of branching dialogue they are claiming to have.
We don't know how easy or hard their tools allows them to create something like this and add it. Especially since the game is obviously not locked in yet and i'd think. That they have planned for this along with the character creator not being finished yet. Gives them room to tailor some things to that experience. I just hope they don't rush it, maybe they should add it as a free DLC or update. After release in a long term scenario.
Preach. The amount of people on Era downplaying this must sure look like fools, especially considering that CDPR clearly take these criticisms to heart. To see that they've been listening and are making changes where necessary is a good thing.
Lets not give to much credit to era. lol

This type of direction is inherent to Cyberpunk. Although, once their done. I hope they start featuring non white V's in the game previews more.