• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As the person who made this thread I feel like this conversation has gone away from us.

I'm not outraged nor did i make this thread to criticise anyone buying the game, I hope the game ends up being as fulfilling as possible.

I just made this thread to point out the discrepancies between the marketing of this game and what the apparent themes are, and that I hope it's not indicative of the final game.

No one is trying to "cancel" the game. I just wish the gaming community could have more discussions about the artistic merits of games without it spiralling out of control like what is happening in this thread as well as with TLOU2.

There's nothing in the OP about the artistic merits of the game though, your whole point is based around a tweet and not the actual content of the game.

You could've at least used the available footage before implying a lack of social commentary to bolster your claim.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
What do you need a video game for? Don't participate in that part of society then. The point of the meme is that you can criticize society or a part of it (like its economic system) and still participate in it, because refusing to participate would have devastating consequences for yourself. So you can probably not just opt out of capitalism in most countries even if you oppose it, but how does that apply to buying a fucking video game? Don't buy it. The consequences for yourself are negligible.
Thank you, I don't know why people take that comic to mean "I can act as unprincipled as I want in any circumstance and you can never criticize me!!" I guess I can dump all my trash in a lake while driving a Hummer H2 and call myself an environmentalist.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Cyberpunks means nothing for CD Project or Tencent. It's just "Wow, neon lights! Cool robotic arm!"
A corporate executive ordering police officers to break your legs and throw you in the river is definitely not a political statement or anything. Neither is the complete lack of privacy in this society where people can literally relive your memories to extract information. Just cool neon lights and synth music!

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What do you need a video game for? Don't participate in that part of society then. The point of the meme is that you can criticize society or a part of it (like its economic system) and still participate in it, because refusing to participate would have devastating consequences for yourself. So you can probably not just opt out of capitalism in most countries even if you oppose it, but how does that apply to buying a fucking video game? Don't buy it. The consequences for yourself are negligible.
Thank you, I don't know why people take that comic to mean "I can act as unprincipled as I want in any circumstance and you can never criticize me!!" I guess I can dump all my trash in a lake while driving a Hummer H2 and call myself an environmentalist.

You can make a "true" cyberpunk game while also liking an Elon Musk meme and participating in marketing, is the point.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
How did you get THAT from my statement? I boycott products when I find out they were created by bigots. Until that information comes out about specific people, I think the best of each and every human being.

If you think CDPR is full of bigoted people, boycott their product. Don't be like "I don't wanna pay them, but I still wanna play their games!"

That says that you care more about your personal enjoyment than about the bigotry in the world.

Idk what to tell you. I don't actually think CDPR is a nest of bigots, I do think they have a problem with bigotry at the top/in corporate culture, but I'm sure a lot of lovely and not-bigoted people work there, too.
I can't bring myself to ignore CP completely, but it's a process, maybe I'll find a well of principled resolve before it comes out, and I won't get it at all. I did however close my Gog account with 60 games on it, if that makes you less suspicious of my principles.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I said that in the OP that the marketing and writing are done by different people, but it's a bad sign when your marketing team is either this out of touch with the games themes, or the marketing team is in touch with the games themes because it doesn't have any.
Spec Ops: The Line's marketing was awful, too. It really means nothing.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I gave up on CDPR's marketing ever being tactful since that Witcher 3 trailer that boasts 'even racism' as if it's a selling point.

Edit: This one

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Jesus, dude. Cyberpunk, his creation, already exists. We already know that his work fits the medium perfectly. We already know he understands the genre.

You're being juvenile by pretending he doesn't already have a huge body of work that does the exact opposite of what you claim. He is a Cyberpunk god because he's proven himself to be one in the genre for 30 years.

Your idea that his work is without reproach is fanatical. All artistic work can be critiqued. It's not an objective thing. I'm also not saying it's not great or whatever. So stop harping on about it like a salty child.

I'm just saying that as good as he may be, Cyberpunk 2077 the game isn't made by one man. Stop acting like Pondsmith's work and its many spinoffs will be the be-all and end-all of the genre.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The person who was in charge of corporate Twitter account wasn't implanted in that position by the aliens. It wasn't someone who was a blank page, either, it was a known alt-right sympathizer. The corporation chose this person to represent it on social media, issued a couple of weak non-apologies after this guy shit the bed, and only removed him because of external pressure, not because (apparently) it saw any fault with having this person in charge of their social media.
It's never just "that one guy".
Same thing with Dan Vavra - I have no reason to believe the rest of the Warhorse are alt-right dipshits, but the studio is okay with this guy speaking for them and being the face of the studio, so regardless of how the individual developers feel about it, the whole studio deserves to be boycotted until they very convincingly do a 180 on this.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but is an alt-right sympathizer even a thing in Poland? Isn't that a highly US centric political term?
I'm just thinking that the world isn't nearly as flat as we might want when it comes to politics and sexual liberation etc, can't expect the whole world to react to the same things.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It's been clear since the first trailer that they're going the GTA and American lifestyle route: There is going to be some satire/criticism on a Cyberpunk future but otherwise the proposed future will be displayed and received as something cool and badass.

OP
OP
HMS_Pinafore

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
There's nothing in the OP about the artistic merits of the game though, your whole point is based around a tweet and not the actual content of the game.

You could've at least used the available footage before implying a lack of social commentary to bolster your claim.
Marketing is meant to be a representation of your game, if the marking shows a lack of understanding of course I'm going to be at least slightly turned off from the game.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Sorry if this is a dumb question but is an alt-right sympathizer even a thing in Poland? Isn't that a highly US centric political term?
I'm just thinking that the world isn't nearly as flat as we might want when it comes to politics and sexual liberation etc, can't expect the whole world to react to the same things.

It's a thing everywhere, but in Europe, it is especially prevalent in the V4 countries (Poland, Hungary, Slovakia and Czech Republic).

Edit: and also the person in question wasn't Polish but (IIRC) British.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I think your analogy is flawed.

If I make a Star Wars game, introduce a Force power which allows you to apparate a pancake, and George Lucas (or Disney now?) tells me that's not how the Force works, then yeah, he's right. He's got word of God, and I am adapting it, so whatever he says goes.
If I make a science-fiction game, introduce a magical concept which allows you to apparate a pancake, and George Lucas tells me that's dumb, I can tell him to fuck off.
Mike is not "cyberpunk god", but he is the God of his own creation. CDPR is specifically adapting his RPGs, they're not trying to make a game in the Cyberpunk genre (i.e. Blade Runner, Akira, GitS etc.). Now if you agree with his interpretation or not is one thing, but, without having played the game, you could argue that CP2077 is an accurate adaptation of the OG RPG, but maybe an inaccurate interpretation of the overall genre.

I think this is really it. Listen, Elon Musk is a piece of shit, but the general public (and hell maybe even the PR guy) just sees him as the "cool Tesla guy", not because of willful ignorance, but just because they don't follow that guy that much. They seem him on the news introducing a funky car and talking about AI - that's it.

"Now if you agree with his interpretation or not is one thing, but, without having played the game, you could argue that CP2077 is an accurate adaptation of the OG RPG, but maybe an inaccurate interpretation of the overall genre."

Well you agree with me then. That's what I'm saying. Just like Rowling is the God of Harry Potter or whatever, does not mean she is the god of the wizarding genre. And people should be free to critique her work if they feel there's an inconsistency of theme or purpose within it.

I know Pondsmith is good. Not arguing about his skill. But you all realise a good artist can produce a shitty product, right? Like this game could be utter trash and tonally deaf/not have anything interesting to say. Obviously highly unlikely but it is possible.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
lots of people in here using reactionary terms like "outrage", "cancel", and "enraged"
I literally just CTRL+F the first 3 pages and the only ones using any of those terms are those defending Musk or dismissing this thread so yeah, no. Nice try though

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Marketing is meant to be a representation of your game, if the marking shows a lack of understanding of course I'm going to be at least slightly turned off from the game.
I can understand how you can be turned off by the game's marketing but I find it weird to imply a lack of understanding of the genre's themes when we already have footage showcasing them in length.

Corporate warfare, the militarization of the police, how corporations use the police for their benefits, privacy violations etc. were all themes heavily showcased every time CDPR showed extensive footage.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Idk what to tell you. I don't actually think CDPR is a nest of bigots, I do think they have a problem with bigotry at the top/in corporate culture, but I'm sure a lot of lovely and not-bigoted people work there, too.
I can't bring myself to ignore CP completely, but it's a process, maybe I'll find a well of principled resolve before it comes out, and I won't get it at all. I did however close my Gog account with 60 games on it, if that makes you less suspicious of my principles.
I'm not suspicious of your principles. I'm sure you are a wonderful, kind-hearted person. It's just that, when your first comment on this post compares people above you with corporate stans, that irks people like me who were trying to make a logical point about the flawed OP.

Regardless, I don't mean to make you feel bad. I hope you have a good day. Peace out.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
why do you people care so much about doing a GOTCHA on someone who respectfully said they weren't going to guy this game that will undoubtedly sell tens of millions of copies regardless

Words have meanings. He said he was going to 'boycott' the game.
buying it used and enjoying the game isn't boycotting. I'm not sure why you're sneering at people who've pointed that out.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Words have meanings. He said he was going to 'boycott' the game.
buying it used and enjoying the game isn't boycotting. I'm not sure why you're sneering at people who've pointed that out.

Just did a quick reread of my posts here and I never said I'm going to "boycott" the game. I said I'm not giving money to CDPR for it.

Words have indeed meanings.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
I don't think it's unfair to compare the man who put up a lawsuit against Alameda County California because they wouldn't allow his workers to be forced to work during a pandemic to a villain a cyberpunk story.

That and his years of union busting.
well, in this case, ignore the comment (wasn't aware of this)

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I never had high hopes for CDPR delivering on the Cyberpunk promise when it comes to the "punk" aspect.

That would be inherently political, inherently critical, inherently "SJW" and they don't have the balls for that.
Instead, they will just use Cyberpunk as a cool and edgy setting and visual theme.

I would be happy to be wrong about this and see this game deconstructing the inhumane futures we're headed towards while paying attention to norm shifts, socio-politics, and the continuation of age-old humanist struggles in a post-post-modern and post-post-industrial society.
But who am I kidding?

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Elon Musk and people who like and respect him are certainly all piss-brained dipshits. People who work in marketing are often piss-brained dipshits.

These games are made by big ass companies and those companies are going to do marketing. I don't think this is proof that the game will see the genre through the eyes of a soulless ghoul like Elon Musk. I think this tweet happened because it was easy engagement. Free real estate.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's a thing everywhere, but in Europe, it is especially prevalent in the V4 countries (Poland, Hungary, Slovakia and Czech Republic).
Isn't that a whole other beast? Isn't an alt-right sympathizer loosely describing a Trump supporter? I honestly don't know, I hear the term alt-right all the time here but it flies over my head.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Isn't that a whole other beast? Isn't an alt-right sympathizer loosely describing a Trump supporter? I honestly don't know, I hear the term alt-right all the time here but it flies over my head.

Nah. It's probably a Trump supporter (among other things) in the US, but in Europe it's the "Soros and the Jews control the world", "Bill Gates wants to chip us with his vaccine", "gay liberal agenda wants to destroy the concept of family" crowd.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Neo-Nazis have internet too, even Polish Neo-Nazis (yes, they exist).

Would it surprise you to learn that Gamergater and rightwing grifter Ian Miles Cheong lived in Malaysia his entire life?

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Inflammatory point of comparison
Rember how the alt-right tried to stir up shit and ruin TLOU2 before even playing it, only because of a few subjectively framed leaks? This is reminding me alot of that situation, can't we just fucking play the game first and then form an opinion about it's thematical merits or fails?

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Cyberpunks means nothing for CD Project or Tencent. It's just "Wow, neon lights! Cool robotic arm!"

I mean, we didn't play the game yet, right?

And the fact that I will be able to create a gender-fluid character already shows me that there's more there than cool robotic arm.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
CDPR is just the fucking worst on social media that's for sure.
I reserve final judgement on the game for when it's out of course but all the recent trailers didn't really go in a direction I would've wanted it to but yeah we'll see. Still hope for the best, the potential for what this game could be is insane.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
"Their social media is work is bit all over the place, which means game is total crap" hot take is among the shittiest hot takes ERA keeps recycling.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Their PR is on point, Musk is much, much more loved than hated, and for some reason people around here can't give this guy a break, like Tesla was the only company who required employees to get back to work.
Hint - you want to reach as many people as possible to try/buy your multi-million AAA game, getting Musk somehow linked to it isn't a bad thing, at all.
Yeah like when Musk was so nice that he labelled the chap who saved the lives of those poor kids trapped in a cave a "pedophile", throwing his toys out of the pram just because his ridiculous robot idea wasn't going to work and he wouldn't get the glory. Using your huge public platform to label someone a pedophile just because you're in a strop isn't dangerous at all of course.

OP
OP
HMS_Pinafore

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
"Their social media is work is bit all over the place, which means game is total crap" hot take is among the shittiest hot takes ERA keeps recycling.
Social media is all part of a games marketing, and if that marketing is bad of course people are going to be worried about the final product, even if all this ends up not being represented in the final product

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your idea that his work is without reproach is fanatical. All artistic work can be critiqued. It's not an objective thing. I'm also not saying it's not great or whatever. So stop harping on about it like a salty child.

I'm just saying that as good as he may be, Cyberpunk 2077 the game isn't made by one man. Stop acting like Pondsmith's work and its many spinoffs will be the be-all and end-all of the genre.

Stop pretending like what you are doing is anything but concern trolling. If a horror video game were being made right now, based off of a Stephen King novel, and Stephen King were part of the process you wouldn't be here talking about "Just because he's written 50 novels in the genre doesn't mean he understands it."

I'm not fanatical, I'm just accepting the reality that is vs the invention you've created in this thread to argue about a video game. The man has a proven track record of understanding the genre, the game is literally an adaptation of his work, we have 30 years of proof of what I'm claiming. You have what, exactly, to base your concern on?

It's not fanatical or salty to call you out for trying to disguise your ignorance as critique. The game isn't even out, wtf are you critiquing anyway? Get back to me when there is something you can criticize that actually makes sense.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
Yep, same concern that the game won't actually critical enough of capitalism.

CDPR is a publicly traded company (which, much like Tesla, is overvalued) that only started to impose less awful crunch practices on its employees once they got exposed for previous wrongs. No shit it won't be critical of capitalism.

Not saying it's not disappointing, but it's definitely not gonna be surprising. Doesn't mean the game won't be great in many other ways either.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Rember how the alt-right tried to stir up shit and ruin TLOU2 before even playing it, only because of a few subjectively framed leaks? This is reminding me alot of that situation, can't we just fucking play the game first and then form an opinion about it's thematical merits or fails?

Oof.

Oct 25, 2017
CDPR are a bunch of clown ass motherfucks who don't know shit about the cyberpunk genre beyond it's cool future shit.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
No offense, but what a silly thread. Like others pointed out:
1) Why do you assume that CDPR's tweet praises Musk? I took it as just them giving an example of a meme which "controls the universe" (not directing it at Musk specifically), and it's the most natural take in this case, in my opinion.
2) Regardless of how you interpret this tweet, it wasn't made by the writers or the creative director (etc) of this game, just by the PR person, whose job is to advertise the game. It does not have anything to do with the qualities of the game itself, whatsoever. And saying stuff like "CDPR are clowns who have no idea of what cyberpunk is" based on stuff like this is not only silly, it's offensive to hundreds of very talented people who worked and continue working very hard on this game.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I mean, we didn't play the game yet, right?

And the fact that I will be able to create a gender-fluid character already shows me that there's more there than cool robotic arm.
We've already seen quite some footage that suggests the contrary to what the user you quoted said, from privacy invasions and oppression of minorities to corporate involvement in law enforcement. CDPR writers have repeatedly said that the story is about saving yourself, indicating that this hypercapitalist society is a system you need saving from. Everything they've said and shown points towards this game NOT being an endorsement of 'the dark future'. If people put more weight into a meme tweet rather than the footage they've shown and the interviews with the writing team then that's a bit disingenous I think.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I never had high hopes for CDPR delivering on the Cyberpunk promise when it comes to the "punk" aspect.

That would be inherently political, inherently critical, inherently "SJW" and they don't have the balls for that.
Instead, they will just use Cyberpunk as a cool and edgy setting and visual theme.

I would be happy to be wrong about this and see this game deconstructing the inhumane futures we're headed towards while paying attention to norm shifts, socio-politics, and the continuation of age-old humanist struggles in a post-post-modern and post-post-industrial society.
But who am I kidding?
Social media is all part of a games marketing, and if that marketing is bad of course people are going to be worried about the final product, even if all this ends up not being represented in the final product

At that point I would ask, do said people actually follow the game (previews, gameplay footage, interviews...) and what it contains or are said people just reacting to what social media team posts on twitter and instagram?

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
game is gonna be legit good, so much sensitivity in this forum man, jesus. CDPR will deliver once again and if people are getting offended because of the themes of the game, my god. The creator itself said CDPR is doing a great job. Man a lot of you are so not ready for a dystopian cyberpunk future. This generation sucks ass.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Capitalism managed to market and profit off communism. It stands to reason it would do the same with cyberpunk.

People saying "the game may not criticise capitalism, but I'm sure it will still be a fantastic game" are kind of missing the point of this thread.