• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I'm really glad I never had any interest in this game besides a cursory interest of the genre (never played Witcher 3) because man they are just a bunch of juvenile fucking 4channers aren't they. Yeesh.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
So no perfect 10 in the reviews because just one vagina?
That is a new thing...

I understand there might be a problem with the representation of different completely normal vaginas, but there are also more then 2 penises.
I'm not really sure how the reaction would have been if there would be a foreskin and labia slider for character creation, but it would be kinda fun.
I'm a little disappointed about the character creation on the whole beside private parts, i had hoped for something like that...

Oct 25, 2017
Hard disagree with giving them points for this. You can't go out and garner credit for creating a 'diverse and inclusive' character creator when the end result is one that just allows for cis people to make a character with boobs and a dick (a la the poster) at the expense of, and complete lack of consideration for, trans people.

Any points I would have given them for having an above-average character creator get taken away completely once they contextualize their work through their horrid interactions -- direct or not -- with the communities they claim to be championing. It's a one foot forward, ten steps back thing: if I didn't see them as bad actors, then I'd note any configurable options in the character creator that *lean* into more options -- especially options that wouldn't be considered designed with cisgender people in mind -- as a net good. And even then, it's only a net good, because the industry itself is really, really bad at this stuff. There are a few stand-outs of course, but in general we aren't getting triple-A games that can make any kind of claim for having made attempts for a 'diverse and inclusive' character creator at all. And what stings here is that this game *could have been* it. Everything that needs to be there from a technical standpoint exists, it's just arranged in such a shitty and abusive way that as you said there's only one outcome here, and it doesn't ultimately support trans people and will, in its worst form, be used to continue to oppress. Which, admittedly, is something I didn't think about in my original post because of my relative privileges, so thank you for making that clear.

The long and short of it is, I agree with you: they are awarded no points. They're awarded negative points, don't pass Go, and essentially lose the game outright. And I'm mad about it as a would-be fan of this game, but it's pretty hard to find any enjoyment or excitement in a product that is hurting so many people.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
No, Hollie Bennet is head of UK communications for CDPR and she is not behind the tweets, it's probably one of these two guys

https://twitter.com/Marcin360 -> Global Community Lead
https://twitter.com/gamebowski -> Lead PR Manager

In some tweet some time ago CP77 account stated that there is multitude of CM's who have access to that account and use it. So yeah those two veeery likely also use that account to tweet out stuff, but doesn't mean they are responsible for this vulva tweet.

That said Grabowski is responsible for allowing this kind behavior to persist in their PR channels because of his station within the company. He should and needs to crack down on this shit.

COSMEFULANITO

Jun 9, 2020
It is 100% not going to be GOTY. Not in a world where TLOU2 exists.

It'll be a miracle if the game isn't a bug infested shit show that proves it should have been held back for next-gen. It's been delayed so much that I'm sure these bros can't optimize it properly for the current gen hardware (outside of maybe X1X).

The dialogue is atrocious. The storytelling doesn't scream "GOTY" to me.

All of that slathered onto a big old shit pile of controversies because they can't keep their social media in check...yeah fuck this game.

In the past they have forgiven technical Mess like Skyrim or Fallout 3 both great but a mess nonetheless

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
I don't think it's about not caring, the game obviously has the resources to dig down into options that are thematically relevant to the game but also pretty meaningless. I doubt it was high on their priorities to include stuff like this and while I agree that the attitude of whoever is running their Twitter account is unnecessary it is also a bit of a nothing thing to complain about. It almost would've been better to do nothing than start to open the door then not commit to it but at the same time it's starting to feel a little ridiculous that ever tweet or translated interview is picked apart for hidden meaning.
Dude many posters have already explained that this is a company wide issue at most it goes beyond the tweet now.

Vergil

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rome - Italy
So no perfect 10 in the reviews because just one vagina?
That is a new thing...

Judging a game for that reason seems like pure madness. I believe that this game, regardless of the quality proposed, will receive a wave of free shitstorm and bombing similar (perhaps amplified) to what Naughty Dog unfairly suffered with The Last of Us Part II.
Regarding customization, I too would have preferred more options and I hope they will be implemented when online multiplayer is released.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Judging a game for that reason seems like pure madness. I believe that this game, regardless of the quality proposed, will receive a wave of free shitstorm and bombing similar (perhaps amplified) to what Naughty Dog unfairly suffered with The Last of Us Part II.
Regarding customization, I too would have preferred more options and I hope they will be implemented when online multiplayer is released.
You do realize the vagina isn't the only problem with he game right?

Vergil

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rome - Italy
You do realize the vagina isn't the only problem with he game right?

In my opinion, the problems within the game are other. The excessive simplification of the RPG component from the paper game, the rather ridiculous AI, some animations such as the physics of the objects and bodies that fall and also the feeling of the combat with bare hands seems to me a "bit" clunky.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018

hmmm... maybe that is the case.
But i expect a RPG with interesting story and a great character creation, not a multiplayer MMO.
But i can also live with the given options, it could just have been more.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
In my opinion, the problems within the game are other. The excessive simplification of the RPG component from the paper game, the rather ridiculous AI, some animations such as the physics of the objects and bodies that fall and also the feeling of the combat with bare hands seems to me a "bit" clunky.
Cool beans man if you don't get it you do you.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
all the criticisms made against CDPR here on the forum and also externally make no logical sense.
It reminds me a bit like when the game was heavily criticized in a bitter way by the alt-right because you can start a love relationship in a totally free and gender fluid (including androids and cyborgs).
What they said is admirable. Mutual respect for all types of diversity, however their team is made up of people from all over the world and of any sexual, political and religious orientation.

I am sure that Cyberpunk 2077, following the dystopian trend proposed by the "master" Mike Pondsmith on the prequel of the board game (Cyberpunk 2020), will have very deep themes that will make us think a lot.
Sorry but how can they be transphobic if people of various sex gender work in their team? It seems paradoxical as an accusation, also because it seems to me that they are taking sides from the opposite direction, triggering the dissent of the alt-right for free choices within the game and support the LGBT community.
But why are you saying this? I do not think any scandal of racism or sex has happened so far within their company.
giphy.gif

Vergil

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rome - Italy
hmmm... maybe that is the case.
But i expect a RPG with interesting story and a great character creation, not a multiplayer MMO.
But i can also live with the given options, it could just have been more.

I also hope it will not be an mmo, too difficult to manage and support. I would like more a system similar to Divinity: Original Sin 2, with the ability to act as a Game Master and have an editor to create quests to share with friends. Extend the gaming experience to more than a single player and thus make it similar to the board based RPG.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I also hope it will not be an mmo, too difficult to manage and support. I would like more a system similar to Divinity: Original Sin 2, with the ability to act as a Game Master and have an editor to create quests to share with friends. Extend the gaming experience to more than a single player and thus make it similar to the board based RPG.

Maybe MMO was a little bit harsh.
I just want a single player RPG with all possible options and story branches.
I didn't even know there is a multiplayer mode coming up later on, and i'm in no way interested in that.

If they have a better character creation just for multiplayer it doesn't interest me one bit.

But i have to say to expect some character creation like in EVE Online was always a high expectation. I think it is the best character creator since ever, but you can't even really see your character in the game, so it is kinda unfair...

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
There is absolutely no reason to think that things like this don't reflect CDPR's company culture, especially since this is like the 50th time this has happened. Like other people have said, all you need to do is look at the replies to that tweet to see that it was a dogwhistle that worked. They do not deserve the benefit of the doubt, no matter how much you want to play their game. I would also urge people with Cyberpunk avatars to think about what type of company they're doing free advertising for.

Verhai

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
The leaks from this game are going to be glorious. Ye thought Last of Us 2 was bad.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Considering their history on Twitter (and the ongoing controversy surrounding the "male voice = male pronouns" shit in the game itself as well as that fucking ad), it's probably better if they.... don't tweet anything about genitalia or gender, honestly. Especially edgelordy "jokes" like this one.

Like, who is the butt of this joke beyond strawman "SJWs who care about vagina diversity?" There's nothing funny here if you don't already agree with alt-right adjacent rhetoric that paints anyone concerned about diversity or gender issues as "did you just assume my gender" crazies.

Which, for the record, those kind of "triggered SJWs" that alt right types are obsessed with don't really exist - the people who reply with venom and aggression to comments like the one in that tweet have probably dealt with so much sexism and/or transphobia over the years that they're just fed up and lashing out at trolls who have goaded them into saying something dumb or aggressive. And then that behavior gets pointed at by people like alt-righters and TERFs as an example of how progressives or trans people are "uncivil" or whatever.

None of this is a misunderstanding, or even really a joke. Whoever runs the Cyberpunk Twitter account absolutely believes that "lol how crazy are SJWs" jokes are acceptable and normal. They are doing it on purpose.
Thank you for putting this all so eloquently. Sometimes I have a hard time processing what specifically is so frustrating/painful/sickening about situations like this. Even though I understand it deep down, I would have a hard time explaining it - but then a poster like you comes along and puts it all there on the screen and it's a huge relief.

One of the things that bothers me most is: those alt-righters are in all likelihood not really thrown by such aggressive responses. I don't know if it's confirmation bias or just being a thick-headed troll or what, but they never seem to understand the pain that's been/being inflicted. Sometimes I wonder if there would ever be a way to get through to them; to push past all the shitty jokes and deep-seated fear that they seem to be covering up with a sort of warped kind of masculinity. It's called "progressive" for a reason, and I like to think that it's just a matter of time before this kind of person just sort of...dies out...and eventually the joke is "Do you remember when some people were actually deathly afraid of women and transgenders?"

Like, right now it's horrible and scary seeing how these people think and what they're capable of. But I hold out hope purely due to the fact that it's also just so mind-bogglingly stupid, and it simply can't be factored into evolution.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
the raw entitlement behind "preorder cancelled" as a punchline
Everyone on era will buy it anyway, the entitlement is not coming out if nowhere. They can basically post whatever they want at this point, they've proven time and time again what their opinion on social acceptance issues and "sjw outrage" is, and yet as soon as there's new screenshots it's all but forgotten.

Whenever CDPR posts something like this, it's "just the community manager" or "just the social media guy" as if they were acting in a vacuum. Other companies do similar stuff, and it's everyone in the building who's passively or actively supporting these words by not openly and publicly condemning them. With this company, it's suddenly different, and I never understood why. It's BY FAR not the first time.

They're not "bad at social media", and it's not "just that one guy going rogue". Like, come on people. Think.

Last edited:

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
lmao at people with 13 posts and an account that's as old as Era coming in to troll in this thread.

You ain't slick.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Everyone on era will buy it anyway, the entitlement is not coming out if nowhere. They can basically post whatever they want at this point, they've proven time and time again what their opinion on social acceptance issues and "sjw outrage" is, and yet as soon as there's new screenshots it's all but forgotten.

Whenever CDPR posts something like this, it's "just the community manager" or "just the social media guy" as if they were acting in a vacuum. Other companies do similar stuff, and it's everyone in the building who's passively or actively supporting these words by not openly and publicly condemning them. With this company, it's suddenly different, and I never understood why. It's BY FAR not the first time.

They're not "bad at social media", and it's not "just that one guy going rogue". Like, come on people. Think.
You say like there isn't going to be another gaffe and honestly it's inevitable at this point. Their going to say something really stupid and we're all going to be back here dunking on them.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You say like there isn't going to be another gaffe and honestly it's inevitable at this point. Their going to say something really stupid and we're all going to be back here dunking on them.

I would imagine in the week or two after release its going to be basically non-stop as they flounder to defend the game from criticisms from Left and Right

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
"Why this is bad?
its bad because it's been a long-standing tradition that there is one sole perfect vagina in media when this is clearly not the case and just reinforces the stigma"

By no means am I dismissing any of this, but I also must admit that I've never heard of this before. This is a thing?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
This whole thing is an incredible self-own right down to the game planning level. And not just the lack of vagina/vulva options, but the customization having arbitrary gender restrictions. Why even bother making this game if they only have a "wow, cool future" level of understanding of the genre.

The game and its publisher are transphobic. I don't think that's really ambiguous at this point.

Guessing the thread is being linked elsewhere on the internet from the "Joined 2017 / 32 posts" accounts martyring themselves.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Meh no, it's the CM of a multi-millions sellers gaming company using a minor criticism as a regressive joke for their audiance.
Average notation won't be for that reason.

I was answering to the OP.
The OP has two big points...
There is just one vagina option while there are 2 penis options, and how this is bad because most vaginas are not captured by the media.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't followed the other dismissal of criticism that CDPR has done in the past. Outside of this, what other things have they said/done? I read a few posts saying CDPR was transphobic?

I don't follow their Twitter account.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
I haven't followed the other dismissal of criticism that CDPR has done in the past. Outside of this, what other things have they said/done? I read a few posts saying CDPR was transphobic?

I don't follow their Twitter account.
Gog trans incident
The mix it up poster
This post
The binary voice gender incident.
A couple other things.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is just one vagina option while there are 2 penis options, and how this is bad because most vaginas are not captured by the media.
You were mentioning notations, it's not like if it could be a major flaw for IGN or Gamingbolt.
At the scale of this game and this company, it's inappropriate to parody such reproach made by a minority in front of millions customers.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I think they don't really understand the "controversy is good" concept, and they kinda want to upset people one way or the other at any given point for marketing

that and a history of being assholes in PR

Arctic_Fever

Aug 6, 2018
"Why this is bad?
its bad because it's been a long-standing tradition that there is one sole perfect vagina in media when this is clearly not the case and just reinforces the stigma"

By no means am I dismissing any of this, but I also must admit that I've never heard of this before. This is a thing?
Yes, it's a thing. As a man, I don't know quite the extent of the harm that exists, but as an example, have you ever heard jokes about lunch meats or how the appearance of the labia can be connected to a woman's promiscuity(promiscuity itself isn't a bad or good thing, but is often treated as bad). Treating the appearance of body parts like there is one norm, and all others are aberrations is harmful.

Think back to the movement in porn that sought to normalize pubic hair. It might not seem like a huge deal, but it's one of those things that goes a long way to helping people see their bodies as accepted and even desired in society. From shedding light on the way photos are often airbrushed to hell, or encouraging the use of models of varied body shapes and sizes, there are plenty of examples of similar issues in the more mainstream, non-nude world.

Pickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A cock is lame, basic and low hanging fruit from a "customization" design point of view, whereas external features on a vagina would be way more nuanced and require more thought. I see the merit of the complaint with the way they dismissed the criticism, but every customization engine in most games falls short of being inclusive of all types of people, beyond dicks and vaginas, down to more meaningful things such as hair, color and bone structures.

If discussing merely the genital customization on its own, without the poor developer response in mind, people should be able to see why it would be easy to give choices for an extremity length and overlook what may have been modeled as a bump texture for the other body type.