• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, when they consistently have these tone deaf responses, make bigoted jokes, have a CEO who "both sides" diversity, and botch gender issues in their game, maybe it's time to stop giving them the benefit of the doubt???.....

Maybe, just maybe, we should apply Occam's Razor and conclude, they're actually just a company with shitty values, and don't care because they're rolling in money. Idk, just thinking out loud.....

Last edited:

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Why would they invite controversy like that?

Bookmarking thread for the future. I'm curious if there's any repercussions when the game finally comes out.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Pandering to alt-right chuds concerned gamers to take their money, while also shoving their workers under the bus with crunch hours.

Nobody but the top wins.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I may be completely off base here but isn't it because showing a modeled vagina can get you an AO rating? (I do believe they should've provided as much customization as possible including selecting whatever voice you want regardless of how the body looks)

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Augs Lives Matter" turned me off the deus ex reboot in a way that I don't think I'll ever recover from. My backlog is simply too long.

Marketing people need to figure this shit out.
Aug lives matter was the single most tone deaf, horrid pr marketing stuff I ever seen in a videogame. CdR marketing blunders dont even come close to that.

That aug lives matter shit was straight up attaching themselves to the struggles of black people in america to gain visibility and sell stuff.

Jesus even today it makes me angry.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
0mfuk5atmgy21.jpg

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Aug lives matter was the single most tone deaf, horrid pr marketing stuff I ever seen in a videogame. CdR marketing blunders dont even come close to that.

That aug lives matter shit was straight up attaching themselves to the struggles of black people in america to gain visibility and sell stuff.

Jesus even today it makes me angry.
It wasn't just in the marketing too p sure it was in the game as well lol

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't just in the marketing too p sure it was in the game as well lol

It was. Mankind Divided is utterly bizarre in how unbalanced its representation of cybernetic discrimination is.

On one hand you have some decently clever world building implications of normalised augmentations and how they impact classism, like poorer industrial workers being pressured into having themselves augmented in order to keep up with corporate demands for a faster, stronger work force, obviously not having the luxury to say no and lose their job. And the social and employment consequences of having to live with those augmentations as they become outdated or undesirable.

On the other hand they also have absolutely gaudy co-opted historical racial issues translated directly to augs. Literally like..."augs use side door" and shit.

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive Drive-By Posting; Account in Junior Phase
Wait this game has genitalia customization?

2020 had a hard start, but this is as firm a reason as any to be excited for what's coming second half of the year.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I think I'm ready to skip this game. Shame. What's annoying about this is that they could just say nothing and come out of it ok-ish. Instead they can't help but constantly say and do stupid shit.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
You can't show female genitalia in detail in films so it's usually covered in pubic hair(or a merkin) or blocked out of sight with shadows. I doubt games are any different and are usually more strict when it comes to nudity. So, of course there is only one option. The only way they'd be able to include more options would be to use a description as showing different vulvas or clitoris sizes (or any at all) would guarantee an AO rating. So unless Cyberpunk 2077 is the first M rated game to actually show vulva blame the ESRB and the puritanical US for only having one option or play the game on PC where I'm sure someone will mod the game to include as many genitalia options as possible.

I will say I find this so goddamn dumb it's even in the game. At no point do I ever think of my character's genitalia while playing a game. I have never given any thought to whether Garelt was hung or not or if Kasandra had a small or big clitoris or labia and I couldn't give less of a shit either way.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
.............Why even have genitalia customization of any kind in the first place?

This is right up there with the accurate horse penis modelling of "who asked for this?"

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm ready to skip this game. Shame. What's annoying about this is that they could just say nothing and come out of it ok-ish. Instead they can't help but constantly say and do stupid shit.

Aren't there kind of two factors at play here that have led to this, though?

On the one hand, the actual feature I understood to be something of a product of a desire -- voiced by people here, and others -- to see a character creator that actually made sense in a Cyberpunk world; a world that should rightfully have no or few boundaries for how people can exist in it. This naturally extending to how one looks, their gender identity, body type, etc. So initially, Cyberpunk 2077 had what you might call slim pickings of the worst variety: you had male V, female V and... well, that's it. Now they have something that, you know, grading on a curve for the videogame industry, because they wholly suck at this stuff, is actually pretty good, right? It's fucked in that they have stupidly tied the tone of voice to the pronouns espoused in the game -- that's a mistake, though one that shouldn't actually be hard to correct from a programming standpoint -- but other than that, they're actually providing part of what they said they would. Which, you know, in a vacuum is actually great.

But we're not in a vacuum. And that leads to factor number two: CDPR's consistent, shitty, clown-faced, dumbass tweets, interactions, and advertisements, which have, at nearly every turn, wildly undermined the good things they've done. So what's more frustrating to me about the fact that they could have stayed quiet is this: there's clearly some fragment of CDPR that cares about this stuff and doing it. You don't end up with the features they do have because they want to tell a joke at the expense of the transgender community -- this stuff took time, and wasn't there in the first place. So the people who would have CDPR be a better company are *in* the company, clearly pushing for this stuff, and making a lot of good choices. But there's *some other* personalities very clearly present in that community, too. And they're output isn't just less desirable, in a lot of cases it's downright gross, as we're seeing.

So I'm real fucking frustrated with this. Because there's something here that's a step in the right direction, again, grading on a curve for the industry. There was a push here to provide something better, to provide a meaningful and *needed* pathway for people to express themselves in this fantasy that is extremely important -- but how can that community really feel comfortable with these efforts if at every turn CDPR makes everything relating to them or even adjacent to their needs or wants the butt of some dumbass joke on Twitter? It's getting old, and I know if they could get the quality of their social stances to be at the quality of their work then, frankly, they'd be one hell of a company to have as an ally on the political and social stage.

Sucks that they aren't.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Man...I saw the title and thought surely it's not that bad. That's fucking awful. They've only gotten worse with this stuff and the fact that the tweet is still up is disgusting.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I think they are trying to be forward and progressive but it's coming off as really stupid.

I think it's just meant to be a headline catcher.

Gets certain people to go around using it as a selling point.

"Yo in Cyberpunk you can customize your dick and pubic hair!"

"Fucking what?! LMAO! PREORDERING NOW!"

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
I have two childs. If I give my youngest one extra candy the older will cry.

In 2020 everything has to be equal. Absolutely everything.
Twitter dude just had to say: "We are sorry, for now we only have one option. We noticed that is not in line and we will out this wish on our backlog".

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait... in this game you can customize your penis? Like put in prince alberts and shit like that? Circumcised vs un? Wtf. Does it influence gameplay at all?

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like I wanted to enjoy the game but as a trans person I can't really engage in a game like this when I'm locked into two voices to choose my gender
I'm sorry, what? You're seriously complaining that they "only" recorded the protagonist dialogue for a male and female option?

What would this proposed third option be and what should they call it? How would the voice sound? Is it just a third option you think they should add or should there be a multitude of options?

Honest questions, I'm intrigued.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, what? You're seriously complaining that they "only" recorded the protagonist dialogue for a male and female option?

What would this proposed third option be and what should they call it? How would the voice sound? Is it just a third option you think they should add or should there be a multitude of options?

I think you missed their point. No one was expecting a bunch of options for voices, but you should be able to choose what pronoun you're referred to as separate from your chosen voice.

Such as the male voice but female pronouns or vice versa. Initially it seemed like they were going that route, but then it was revealed (at least seemingly) that your voice is what determines pronouns.

May 26, 2018
I have two childs. If I give my youngest one extra candy the older will cry.

In 2020 everything has to be equal. Absolutely everything.
Twitter dude just had to say: "We are sorry, for now we only have one option. We noticed that is not in line and we will out this wish on our backlog".

Yeah, either that or say nothing. From a monetary perspective, WTF @ willfully antagonizing customers in a tweet when no major drama existed. Dumb AF.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think you missed their point. No one was expecting a bunch of options for voices, but you should be able to choose what pronoun you're referred to as separate from your chosen voice.

Such as the male voice but female pronouns or vice versa. Initially it seemed like they were going that route, but then it was revealed (at least seemingly) that your voice is what determines pronouns.
Yeah, that would be a nice touch and probably not that difficult to implement.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CDPR gets away with some ridiculous shit.

I don't understand why this isn't a bigger deal? Is it because it's a sexuality thing? I can't envision a world where the same jokes made about race wouldn't cause significantly more outrage.

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
At this point if you buy CDPR games you know full and well what you are supporting
I am totally with you and think that it's sad CDPR turned in a shitty company in no time. Although I don't think many will mind CDPRs behavior as ethical consumption sadly is not really adapted in our society. People buy new phones all the time knowing that the resources were harvested under slavery-like conditions in africa, not only hurting the people but also the environment. Same goes for clothes, food and on and on. Ethics are just a very small part when considering buying a product.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020

Just have a separate recording where they use they them pronouns when referring to v at least that's how you would do it cheaply. Now if you want to get fancy you can also adjust v's pitch like saints row. That's the way I would do it with a limited budget and time constraints.

Last edited:

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Not a good look for the company (yet again). You would think the communcations team would learn but apparently not

Alienware

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Italy
User Banned (1 Month): Hostile and Dismissive Drive-By; Account in Junior Phase
The context of the tweet makes it look pretty damning, and this is probably what happens when you try to channel too much meme power into one social marketing account and things get out of hand.

That said... is it only me that finds kind of toxic how people in this thread are just ASSUMING that the over 1000s of people who work at CDPR share the same values that -also the people in this thread- are awarding to one set of tweets to one guy/gal?

I don't want to say it sounds kind of witch-hunty... but it sound kind of witch-hunty.
I don't know from what kind of high horse people in this thread just assume it's fine to judge thousands of people they don't know and will never know because of a job connection.

Jun 17, 2018
I mean, it's just inappropriate. I know the game is rated M/18 but still, try to be professional and not act like total fucking idiots... Why did they even reply to that tweet?