• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oldzac

Jan 22, 2020
Not to ignore your whole point, but the proper word choice is "transgender", not "transgendered". The -ed suffix indicates being trans is something a person DOES, or DID, rather than something they are.
Out of all the informative comments in this thread, this is the one I'm most glad I read. I've been saying it wrong this whole time.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I just might be starting to think that this whole "but it's a dystopia!" thing just might be a vapid shield used to deflect criticism.

This game is just going to be GTA V/South Park with a cyberpunk aesthetic. It's going to promote and valourize shitty things while using a veneer of both sidesism and "it's supposed to be satire" as an excuse.
It certainly seems that way. They don't present their world as something to hate. They show it as something "cool."

Deleted member 2550

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen black people getting shat on for cosplaying white characters and white people getting shat on for cosplaying black characters. Both are not cool in my book.

If anything people should be offended by that stupid looking glowing dick, not if a transgender wears the custome or not.
I thought this kind of stuff was fine if you weren't casually adding in blackface? That's in line with the second part of your post. I don't see the issue with a CIS person cosplaying a transgender character so as long as they're not slapping in fake genitalia as part of the costume. Unless I'm missing something that is.
it's like these people are actively campaigning against their own game, seriously, the marketing team should just shut the fuck up
This isn't even a blip on the radar for the majority of the community at large.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't pretend to not understand why this is considered Transphobic when in another thread it was the only example that you were willing to concede that CDPR would know was transphobic because you admitted they got called out by various media outlets on it . Your "just asking questions" schtick ain't cute.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/cd...elling-rainbow-red-shirt.295943/post-46869890

1) cdpr is aware of the manticore controversy, but it's entirely possible that they think they've addressed it satisfyingly: https://www.polygon.com/e3/2019/6/1...77-trans-advertisement-cd-projekt-red-e3-2019. also, them being aware of the controversy doesn't mean they think it's transphobic. it only means that they are aware that it may have seemed transphobic. they may also think their explanation was enough to dispel that notion.

2) this has nothing to do with the concept of trans blackface which is earnestly an entirely new concept to me that has only come to light with the cosplayer. the manticore character was assumed to be trans.

your "gotchya bitch" shtick ain't cute.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I just can't understand why you would do the same mistakes over and over again. And it's so unnecessary. The game has a high chance to be fantastic, the people are hyped as hell and it will probably sell like crazy etc.
And then you do this crap. And it probably won't even be the last time, just going by the patterns.
You wouldn't even need much effort to stop fucking up that way all the time. Fire the social media person, get consultation, just stop doing that stuff over and over again etc.

Still hyped for the game, but would be nice playing it without having that bad aftertaste of their shit. But feels a little bit too late for that.
I really hope they will do better in the future and being transparent about it, but oh well.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
As a cosplayer, yes, it's generally agreed that you can cosplay anyone you'd like. However, it's also generally agreed upon that you don't paint your skin/tape your eyes/get a tan to look like a character of another race because it's inappropriate and quite frankly racist to treat race like a costume. Personally, I think this falls along similar lines. Cis people can cosplay transgender characters but they should not be cosplaying trans characters in ways that are fetishizing or dehumanizing being trans. Even then I do question giving cis people cosplaying trans characters such a large platform even if it's done tastefully. While it's obviously not the same reach as a movie, I think it does play into ideas that being trans is like wearing a costume that people take off, like what is detailed in the Disclosure documentary.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Thing is, they aren't even sabotaging their own product. This sort of shit is what their audience wants to see and whilst their may be a few people here rightfully calling out their constant shit, the vast majority of people right here don't give a shit too.
Yeah, gamers are eating it up. And no one in the media will call them out either because they're too busy sucking up to CDPR or because they're too afraid of backlash from the rabid fanboys.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How hard is it to hire someone on your PR team that isn't so damn ignorant

Last edited:

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's especially fucked up that the cosplayer is one of the finalists for their cosplay contest and was showcased during the night city stream, so it's way more than just a dumb guy running twitter.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
1) cdpr is aware of the manticore controversy, but it's entirely possible that they think they've addressed it satisfyingly: https://www.polygon.com/e3/2019/6/1...77-trans-advertisement-cd-projekt-red-e3-2019. also, them being aware of the controversy doesn't mean they think it's transphobic. it only means that they are aware that it may have seemed transphobic. they may also think their explanation was enough to dispel that notion.

2) this has nothing to do with the concept of trans blackface which is earnestly an entirely new concept to me that has only come to light with the cosplayer. the manticore character was assumed to be trans.

your "gotchya bitch" shtick ain't cute.
Normally I prefer civility but you really shouldn't do this here.
Yeah, gamers are eating it up. And no one in the media will call them out either because they're too busy sucking up to CDPR or because they're too afraid of backlash from the rabid fanboys.
We just had Jason schrier open up the can of worms about how they treat their employees there's still hope someone will pick up the story.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't aware of the use of the term manticore in the context of transphobia, so I googled "manticore transphobia" and all the top results were Cyberpunk/CDPR related.

Incredible.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You don't even need to look that far. Just look at the replies to the tweet.
At this point, I can only imagine they seem to be banking on the controversy actually increasing their sales with right-wing gamers more than it decreases sales from people who care about LGBTQ+ issues. They may actually think this is a net positive for their sales.

Which is just horrifying, really.

Yeah pretty sad tbh
Someone had to have crunched some numbers and determined this is fine

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So CDPR's digital marketing department clearly learned nothing from the first (in-game) chromanticore/"mix it up" advertising incident, this is just a repeat of that. They could've easily swerved past highlighting this particular cosplay but here we are.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
As a cosplayer, yes, it's generally agreed that you can cosplay anyone you'd like. However, it's also generally agreed upon that you don't paint your skin/tape your eyes/get a tan to look like a character of another race because it's inappropriate and quite frankly racist to treat race like a costume. Personally, I think this falls along similar lines. Cis people can cosplay transgender characters but they should not be cosplaying trans characters in ways that are fetishizing or dehumanizing being trans. Even then I do question giving cis people cosplaying trans characters such a large platform even if it's done tastefully. While it's obviously not the same reach as a movie, I think it does play into ideas that being trans is like wearing a costume that people take off, like what is detailed in the Disclosure documentary.
How does this work when the character is already fetishized like Poison from Street Fighter or probably characters from Cyberpunk?

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really have much to add just that I can't believe they are still doing this crap, like seriously, it's not that hard to be a decent human being, but this company is intent on telling the world they're transphobic, it's disgusting

edit - and the amount of mental gymnastics people will use to justify playing it is deeply disheartening

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
And Now their promoting a cis Cosplayer instead of like actually doing any of the work and looking for a trans Cosplayer.
That would still be extremely exploitative. There's no way to salvage or reclaim that artwork. It wouldn't be meaningfully improved by finding a trans model willing to degrade herself to promote CDPR's repugnant product.
No matter who poses for the picture, they'd still be portraying the same fetishized image utilizing dehumanizing imagery. Personally, I'm glad they're at least not exploiting a trans person.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GOTY! 10/10! 150MC!

Crunch? Transphobia? Who cares!

-Gamers

They don't give a fuck.

Transphobia starts to come out from across the company, nobody cares. Fire a social media person, it keeps going, it's in their games.

"I'm not gonna boycott and punish the hard working developers!"

You mean the ones who are already paid and are being put through crunch..?

It's like... ya'll don't care about trans people or their feelings, you don't really care what the devs go through. I'd rather you just be honest and not give a fuck and say you just want to play your stupid fucking video game rather than fighting for something that actually matters.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
That would still be extremely exploitative. There's no way to salvage or reclaim that artwork. It wouldn't be meaningfully improved by finding a trans model willing to degrade herself to promote CDPR's repugnant product.
No matter who poses for the picture, they'd still be portraying the same fetishized image utilizing dehumanizing imagery. Personally, I'm glad they're at least not exploiting a trans person.
Oh I know fuck cdpr I'm sick of their antics. This is just gross. We don't need this magic glowy penis shit and I'm tired of it. They lost any good will period.

Aug 10, 2019
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory Commentary
I understand your frustrations OP and this is not an argument against you, but I honestly dream of a world where black people can play white characters and white people can play black characters and everyone and everything in between can be played by everyone and everything in between, and no one cares because it doesn't matter anymore.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
For further context about the in-game ad referenced, a response from the artist making it, Kasia Redesiuk. Like -COOLIO- said, she and CDPR and have heard the criticism, but they don't seem to agree with it. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-the-artist-behind-that-cyberpunk-2077-poster
"I'm not surprised people have questions," Redesiuk told me. "I'm currently taking care of in-game media, so branding and advertisements for the various corporations. And in this dystopian future, these megacorporations are oppressive, they've basically taken over and prescribe who people live. They constantly, aggressively sell everything.

"You'll notice many advertisements - for anything, a table, chair, a roof tile - slap a random sexy person on top and say 'hey, buy this'. This shows the sexploitation of those people, and many of our advertisements feature this sexualisation. We sexualise men, women, and people in between, all to show how terrible this is.

Redesiuk and I are standing next to a poster which says 'three mouths, one desire'. It's a nod to Total Recall's 'I wish I had three hands' scene, she says, but also an example of the grotesque sex movies available in Cyberpunk 2077's world.

"So yes, we have a person with both breasts and a penis on an advertisement, done on purpose, because it's terrible to exploit people's bodies like this," Redesiuk continues.

The poster in question is an advert for Chromanticore, a regular cola, one of many fictional drink brands in the game.

"We thought this would be a brand which would slap a body on the advert and think nothing of it. It's a terrible thing to say 'mix it up' [the poster's tagline]. We're emulating what a company would say in Cyberpunk 2077."

"People need representation, and representation in a good way," Redesiuk agrees. "And in Cyberpunk 2077 we're showing a world where many of the things which may be taboo or unusual today are completely normalised. It's a world where you can go to a ripperdoc and change your body. It's become normal. We have a character creator where you can mix up appearance and voice options and make the character you want to play. And, of course, through gameplay you can roleplay the character you want through your interactions with NPCs.

"It was meant to make people feel uncomfortable," Redesiuk concludes. "Not because they're seeing someone with breasts and a penis, but because the body is being exploited. I didn't slap the penis there for people to laugh about it. There is a beautiful body there being used to sell soda."

Edit: Also Polygon asked about the ad back then. https://www.polygon.com/e3/2019/6/1...77-trans-advertisement-cd-projekt-red-e3-2019

"Personally, for me, this person is sexy," Redesiuk said. "I like how this person looks. However, this model is used — their beautiful body is used — for corporate reasons. They are displayed there just as a thing, and that's the terrible part of it."

Redesiuk said that the world of Cyberpunk 2077 includes many people who are gender-nonconforming, some of whom enjoy showing off their bodies in public. They are a demographic group with significant purchasing power, and so, megacorporations use their likenesses to sell soft drinks. It's supposed to be a play on the same sort of hypersexualized advertising that modern companies use to sell products today, just brought in line with the kind of future CD Projekt wants to portray.

"In [the year] 2077, especially with how much body modifications are available, I think people just mix and match however they want, however they feel," Redesiuk said. "And even society is more open to different kinds of relationships."

This is not to say that the player should see this kind of advertising as good. Redesiuk said that it was designed to feel jarring and overly aggressive, like all the other ads in the game, but not because of the femme-presenting trans model.

I asked Redesiuk what she would say to those in the trans community who might be offended to see themselves portrayed this way in the game.

"I would say it was never the intention to offend anyone," Redesiuk said. "However, with this image of an oversexualized person, we did want to show how oversexualization of people is bad. And that's it.

"I think that sexy bodies are sexy. Full disclosure: I love female bodies. I love male bodies. I love bodies in between. This is who I am. However, I hate it when it's used commercially. And that's exactly what we want to show by doing this exactly, by showing how big corporations use people's bodies against them."

For Redesiuk, the fictional advertisement is also an effort to increase empathy for the LGBTQ community among video game consumers.

"We need it," Redesiuk said. "I honestly think we need it because we need more acceptance in the world, and we need to also show how the goodness of people is sometimes used against them. And I would really love for the world to change and be a better place for everyone."

Last edited:

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
How does this work when the character is already fetishized like Poison from Street Fighter or probably characters from Cyberpunk?
I mean there's no set rules, just community norms, but in my opinion that if one really likes the design of the character from Cyberpunk, they should adapt the costume to remove the fetishistic elements. Or consider not doing the costume, especially considering this character design is just in an in-universe ad? So there's no real excuse of "liking the character". I'm not familiar with Poison I can't comment. But I just personally think this is an area where cis cosplayers should be respectful and consider others.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't aware of the use of the term manticore in the context of transphobia, so I googled "manticore transphobia" and all the top results were Cyberpunk/CDPR related.

Incredible.
Is that not because Manticore is not some transphobic term and it only relates to this Cyberpunk issue because of what the ad is called?

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
I understand your frustrations OP and this is not an argument against you, but I honestly dream of a world where black people can play white characters and white people can play black characters and everyone and everything in between can be played by everyone and everything in between, and no one cares because it doesn't matter anymore.
No absolutely not when it sexualized or parodies people like this cosplay. That's not a good take. You can hope all you want but it's wrong to do for a reason and no amount of wishful thinking will change that.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Is that not because Manticore is not some transphobic term and it only relates to this Cyberpunk issue because of what the ad is called?
I don't know that "manticore" is regularly used as a transphobic term. But the context of using it alongside a trans character (a manticore being a mythical creature made up of parts of different creatures), it's pretty clear what they meant with the naming.

That would probably explain it, and also makes it even worse.

Indeed it does.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I mean there's no set rules, just community norms, but in my opinion that if one really likes the design of the character from Cyberpunk, they should adapt the costume to remove the fetishistic elements. Or consider not doing the costume, especially considering this character design is just in an in-universe ad? So there's no real excuse of "liking the character". I'm not familiar with Poison I can't comment. But I just personally think this is an area where cis cosplayers should be respectful and consider others.
Just trying to learn more so bear with me but how does something like drag fit in with this stuff? Like clearly drag is a man fetishizing women through costume. This feels like the same thing to me but with the focus on the penis. I'm not trying to be offensive in anyway just ignorant to this topic.

Discussion Guidelines

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication

Please review the following before posting:

Yes, the cosplay is transphobic. No, it is not the responsibility of our trans users to explain that to you. Google the fetishization of trans people and educate yourself.

No, we should not be sitting around hoping for a world where anybody can cosplay anybody or whatever. There are actual injustices to address. Focus on those.

Failure to respect these guidelines will result in a harsh ban going forward (or retroactively in the case of the second).

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I don't really have much to add just that I can't believe they are still doing this crap, like seriously, it's not that hard to be a decent human being, but this company is intent on telling the world they're transphobic, it's disgusting

edit - and the amount of mental gymnastics people will use to justify playing it is deeply disheartening

I don't think it takes mental gymnastics to justify playing a game, basically all modern products honestly. Just an understanding that regardless of what you buy some % of your money is going to some vile disgusting humans and their is honestly not much you can do about it other than accept that it's going to happen, if one can't bear that thought the only other thing I can think of is go off the grid and attempt to live off the land. Hell seems my countries tax dollars are currently being used for the current sitting presidents re-election campaign.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
it's like these people are actively campaigning against their own game, seriously, the marketing team should just shut the fuck up

Cyberpunk has the most relentless anti-marketing campaign I've ever seen. Launch announcement made it an obvious buy - of course a huge cyperpunk game from the maker of the Witcher will be amazing. Everything since has been the worst. It takes a lot to break through the noise in 2020 and announce, "wait, don't forget me, I'm also fucking terrible."

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I don't think the "But I don't understand how a company with a storied history of related controversy promoting a cis person doing a fetish cosplay of a trans character where the focus is on her having a giant blue dong can possibly be problematic" takes in this thread are as slick as they think they are.

Last edited:

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
How is this so difficult for them? From day 1 I knew this "edgy" twitter account was going to be more trouble than it's worth. Sheesh. If you're going to try to approach this line, maybe hire some trans people to run the twitter account or give the go-ahead before posting.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Just trying to learn more so bear with me but how does something like drag fit in with this stuff? Like clearly drag is a man fetishizing women through costume. This feels like the same thing to me but with the focus on the penis. I'm not trying to be offensive in anyway just ignorant to this topic.
This isn't a woman doing "man-drag" through, this is a woman doing a trans person. A man dressing as a fetishized woman, or a woman dressing as a fetishized man is a very different conversation carrying with it very different life experiences and cultural weight.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk has the most relentless anti-marketing campaign I've ever seen. Launch announcement made it an obvious buy - of course a huge cyperpunk game from the maker of the Witcher will be amazing. Everything since has been the worst. It takes a lot to break through the noise in 2020 and announce, "wait, don't forget me, I'm also fucking terrible."

This game was a must-buy for me back in 2018 after descriptions of that private showing came out. ever since, it's just been cruel instances of transphobia and shitty work culture coming to light to the point I don't want anything to do with it.

I don't think it takes mental gymnastics to justify playing a game, basically all modern products honestly. Just an understanding that regardless of what you buy some % of your money is going to some vile disgusting humans and their is honestly not much you can do about it other than accept that it's going to happen, if one can't bear that thought the only other thing I can think of is go off the grid and attempt to live off the land. Hell seems my countries tax dollars are currently being used for the current sitting presidents re-election campaign.

I think the distinction here is that buying this game is feasibly avoidable, whereas you have to pay taxes. I get the frustration of never being able to completely avoid supporting terrible practices/people, but it doable here.

Kenzo

alt account
Banned
Oct 9, 2020
Tsushima
Yep.

If you want to portray trans characters, you hire trans-cosplayers.

CP2077's entire marketing team needs to be sacked, or at the very least put on administrative leave and forced to undergo sensitivity training.
In general this game hasn't peaked my interest. The devs marketed transphobia is the nail in the coffin for me.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is really disappointing to see. CDPR need to make some serious changes internally, especially in their marketing department.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Oh, so a studio with a background of transphobia has done something transphobic again. How sad and how unsurprising.

Man, I really want to enjoy this game, but they're making it very hard for me.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Giving me a headache that people are referring to the cosplayer as cosplaying a "trans cosplayer" while musing about whether it's ok or not for the cosplay to happen.

There is no trans character. This is not an NPC from the game or something. What she's dressing up as is a transphobic in-game/in-universe ad. And CDPR was already criticized for it even existing in-game! This is literally cosplaying as transphobia, and a specific instance that company already knew was a mistake and yet promoted again.

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know about that. We, as humans, can afford to be selective about the stimulation we receive, whether from media, physical sensations or chemicals. If shit like blatant transphobia isn't enough make you wary enough to hold back on the purchase of a product, then maybe the convictions you hold, when it comes to caring about those who have been affected, aren't really all that strong, or present.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This is basically the equivalent of some straight dude dressing up as these guys and affecting the same mannerisms, and Sega/Atlus then going on to promote it

ZCU45Ik.png

If that'd make you uncomfortable, this should too

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Oh, so a studio with a background of transphobia has done something transphobic again. How sad and how unsurprising.

Man, I really want to enjoy this game, but they're making it very hard for me.
I suggest not buying the game and instead taking in something else next gen has to offer. I'm sure it'll be an overall better experience. And less morally repugnant.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
How hard is to hire someone on your PR team that isn't so damn ignorant
It's quite easy. That's why it's readily apparent that CDPR doesn't give a fuck about trans people.
It's drawing a link between trans people who undergo gender confirmation surgery, and monsters of Persian myth that had body parts of various different animals, so as if to say trans people are monsters combining traits of different beings into one person.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
When the main identifying trait of your trans character is "but they have a luminescent dick!", I really think you took a wrong turn somewhere. I was pretty excited for this game when it was announced but good lord they've whittled that down to nothing.

I think some of the replies in this thread are more disheartening though. I'm not terribly surprised at a company being (at best) apathetic towards trans issues, but for some reason I keep expecting Era to at least get it. At least it's mostly the minority opinion in here, I guess.