• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 3, 2019
it's like these people are actively campaigning against their own game, seriously, the marketing team should just shut the fuck up

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the problem is that she's breaking gender conventions, but that she has a glowing penis. There is absolutely nothing wrong with crossplay, and I love seeing people cosplaying as the opposite sex and I've done it myself many times, but if your videogame's marketing angle is that transgendered people are effectively erased by a futuristic society that gives glowing penises to women or glowing boobs to men (as an alternative example) that's kind of a big oof. Life ain't an Electric Six music video, y'know?

You can totally explore gender fluidity in a transhumanist society without sexualising it. Gender dysphoria isn't a fetish.

Not to ignore your whole point, but the proper word choice is "transgender", not "transgendered". The -ed suffix indicates being trans is something a person DOES, or DID, rather than something they are.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
But again: what's the difference with for example a woman cosplaying as Link (or gender bending Link as Linkle), or cosplaying as a transgender character?

Link, in male or female form does not belong to an oftentimes violently oppressed minority. Taking aspects from the experience a transgender person might have or using physical traits as either the butt of a joke or using them to enhance the aesthetics of a videogame without even acknowledging the issues the transgender community faces is dishonest, hurtful and not at all conducive to improving the quality of life, equality and general acceptance for members of that community.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
It's like a straight actor playing a flamboyant gay man dressing in all pink and doing nothing but talking with a nasal voice and lisp about how he loves dick up his ass.
Pretty much. This is just a gross, crude caricature of real people created for the sake of shock value and fetish for horny teenagers to jerk off to.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
For those who didn't see an issue if it were a man playing a trans woman:

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
It's amazing how the same people can show up every thread on these issues "genuinely trying to understand" and still not get it.

Just asking questions

Just asking questions (also known as JAQing off, or as emojis: "🤔🤔🤔"[1]) is a way of attempting to make wild accusations acceptable (and hopefully not legally actionable) by framing them as questions rather than statements. It shifts the burden of proof to one's opponent; rather than laboriously...
thelogicofscience.com

The problem with “just asking questions”

Asking questions is generally a good thing. Indeed, questions are the very foundation of science. People become scientists because they are curious and like to ask questions, and science itself is …

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
It's basically the same as promoting cosplayer doing blackface.
Yep.

If you want to portray trans characters, you hire trans-cosplayers.

CP2077's entire marketing team needs to be sacked, or at the very least put on administrative leave and forced to undergo sensitivity training.

OP
OP

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Since I'm not trans can I ask this sincere question:
Would it be okay, for someone not trans to cosplay a trans character from any medium, if that trans person from said medium, wouldn't be such a problematic display of trans people due to being hypersexualized and as trans being something you could just wear? Or is it a no go like, let's say blackfacing?
It's fine when they don't sexualize our bodies that's the whole problem so no don't do it.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
How is CDPR's social media THIS bad?? This has gotta be intetional to keep "shock factoring" and signalling shit lords who eat this sorta stuff up. :/
Hell yeah it is. Their target audience is the people who post on r/pcgaming, so pretty much they hate any idea of talking about issues for people in gaming who aren't straight, white, CIS, and male. Add in their pro-consumer marketing and those shits eat it up.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
Since I'm not trans can I ask this sincere question:
Would it be okay, for someone not trans to cosplay a trans character from any medium, if that trans person from said medium, wouldn't be such a problematic display of trans people due to being hypersexualized and as trans being something you could just wear? Or is it a no go like, let's say blackfacing?
It's tough because trans people in media have a history of being portrayed by cis people (usually of the different gender, ie trans women get portrayed by cis men). I'm not sure I'd say it's as big of a no-go as blackface (ftr, I'm trans and white), but if you did want to do this you should definitely consult with as many trans people as possible to make sure you're being respectful, and even then it might still be offensive because there's no one universal trans experience.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, keep an eye on all the celebrities and e-star streamers who are getting cameos and supporting this game. I know a few of them who claim to be allies. Kudos to any of them who come out against shit like this and ask for their likeness to be removed if they do. Not gonna hold my breath though

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
The "chicks with d" thing is a fetish. I find most trans folks I know aren't really going around gloating about their anatomy. I think that's the crux of the issue here, for those trying to decipher what the problem is.

I feel like CDPR are either nefarious and being pricks about this, or they're naive as fuck and unwilling to cede that they might have made a mistkae. I'm not sure which is worse.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Just asking questions

Just asking questions (also known as JAQing off, or as emojis: "🤔🤔🤔"[1]) is a way of attempting to make wild accusations acceptable (and hopefully not legally actionable) by framing them as questions rather than statements. It shifts the burden of proof to one's opponent; rather than laboriously...
thelogicofscience.com

The problem with “just asking questions”

Asking questions is generally a good thing. Indeed, questions are the very foundation of science. People become scientists because they are curious and like to ask questions, and science itself is …
really, you consider my earlier post a wild accusation?

it was a fair question. black people find black face highly offensive. women by and large do not consider crossdressing men or drag performances offensive. these things appear logically similar but culturally hit much differently.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
So who runs their Social Media account?

You would think they'd have dropped that person by now. I don't follow them so I'm pretty clueless on this subject in relation to them.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
really, you consider my earlier post a wild accusation?

it was a fair question. black people find black face highly offensive. women by and large do not consider crossdressing men or drag performances offensive. these things appear logically similar but culturally hit much differently.
I didn't say anything. I'm just posting what people might see your contribution to the thread as.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You would think they'd have dropped that person by now. I don't follow them so I'm pretty clueless on this subject in relation to them.

It's beyond a social media issue. Especially considering they've already fired the previous social media person for the same shit. This is obviously a company wide issues as it's SHOWING UP IN THEIR GAMES.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine when they don't sexualize our bodies that's the whole problem so no don't do it.
It's tough because trans people in media have a history of being portrayed by cis people (usually of the different gender, ie trans women get portrayed by cis men). I'm not sure I'd say it's as big of a no-go as blackface (ftr, I'm trans and white), but if you did want to do this you should definitely consult with as many trans people as possible to make sure you're being respectful, and even then it might still be offensive because there's no one universal trans experience.
Okay, thanks for answers! The actual problem wasn't clear to me, but I think I got it now

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Their PR via twitter has been one long journey fuck ups. Their development is one long journey laden with crunch for over a year.

I have gone from being extremely excited for this game given CDPR's reputation w/TW series and a general lack of Sci-fi, esp. cybperpunk RPG in an ocean of JRPGs and fantasy RPGs, to being exhausted by how much of a shitshow they are internally and how regressive they are when it comes to promoting it quite a few times.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

They just don't care because they know this won't affect the bottomline long term. Gamers don't care and will eat this game up.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like CDPR are either nefarious and being pricks about this, or they're naive as fuck and unwilling to cede that they might have made a mistkae. I'm not sure which is worse.
Once is a mistake, this is like the 5th or 6th time either CDPR or one of their sister companies like GOG have done something like this in the last couple of years.

Given how half assed their apologies have been, I'd say it's fairly cemented now that they as a company either outright don't like trans people or view them as only being good for being the butt of a joke.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't this character straight up from a very blatantly transphobic in-game ad too? Not just due to the character design, but the in-game product and wording was clear. If so it's not like there's really any room for doubt, not that there is anyway, given they've done it multiple times now.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But in the world of cyberpunk you can. Or at least thats what the devs think.

I'm honestly starting to think I'll just pass on this one. If the game is this questionable on the surface and in its marketing, who knows what kind of nonsense they try to pull in the game under the excuse that it's cyberpunk and therefore conveniently immoral? Cyberpunk as a genre and a setting does allow you to address some pretty complex issues, but if you tackle them this carelessly and offensively then I'm not interested.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
is adding the penis to this cosplay considered a form of trans black face by the larger trans community? genuinely trying to gain perspective on the matter.
You can't pretend to not understand why this is considered Transphobic when in another thread it was the only example that you were willing to concede that CDPR would know was transphobic because you admitted they got called out by various media outlets on it . Your "just asking questions" schtick ain't cute.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/cd...elling-rainbow-red-shirt.295943/post-46869890

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Why does the fucking pipe-dream first person cyberpunk open world game have to be riddled with so much controversy, shit. This sucks and CDPR sucks.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's rare to see a company's social media sabotage their own product/reputation as often as Cyberpunk/CDPR's has.

Here's the thing though, they're banking on the idea that they can do whatever the fuck they want, offend who they want, break as many of their workers as they want, and "Gamers"(tm) will still buy their shit in droves.

And they're right.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
ironically, the insinuation of that post fits the "just asking questions" trope perfectly.
You can't pretend to not understand why this is considered Transphobic when in another thread it was the only example that you were willing to concede that CDPR would know was transphobic because you admitted they got called out by various media outlets on it . Your "just asking questions" schtick ain't cute.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/cd...elling-rainbow-red-shirt.295943/post-46869890

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
For people saying "who is the social media person and why are they still employed?"

You have to remember that asshole gamer people love this shit. I've seen comments on Reddit and other places about how "awesome" the Cyberpunk twitter person is

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
You know, I just might be starting to think that this whole "but it's a dystopia!" thing just might be a vapid shield used to deflect criticism.

This game is just going to be GTA V/South Park with a cyberpunk aesthetic. It's going to promote and valourize shitty things while using a veneer of both sidesism and "it's supposed to be satire" as an excuse.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
For people saying "who is the social media person and why are they still employed?"

You have to remember that asshole gamer people love this shit. I've seen comments on Reddit and other places about how "awesome" the Cyberpunk twitter person is
You don't even need to look that far. Just look at the replies to the tweet.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

At this point, I can only imagine they seem to be banking on the controversy actually increasing their sales with right-wing gamers more than it decreases sales from people who care about LGBTQ+ issues. They may actually think this is a net positive for their sales.

Which is just horrifying, really.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thing is, they aren't even sabotaging their own product. This sort of shit is what their audience wants to see and whilst there may be a few people here rightfully calling out their constant shit, the vast majority of people right here don't give a shit too and we've seen that time and time again regarding this game and a certain other product I will not name because it's not relevant to this one.

Last edited: