• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bell_hooks

Banned
Nov 23, 2019
Source in polish
https://www.komputerswiat.pl/gamezi...elku-znajdziemy-tylko-kod-aktywacyjny/rxyecb6
Translation:
According to one of Polish retailers (RTV EURO AGD) Cyberpunkt 2077 (PC) will not include game on disc, only code
Box (of this particular version) includes
1. Game (activation code
2. Night City Map
3. Postcard Night City
4. Game world comedium
5. Steelbook (pre order bonus)

KomputerŚwiat (source) reached to Cenega (polish distributor) for comment, will update
edit:
ok. this is actually on their official website , the source made it sound as it was a leak

Last edited:

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely didn't know physical disc games for PC were still being sold.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Fallout76 did this. It was a CD-shaped cardboard print with the code on the front inside a DVD Case.

DemiOrpheus

Banned
May 9, 2020
the number of people who still buy physical PC games is probably too small to justify the expense of printing the disks

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Genuine question, how common place are disc installs on PC these days? I thought this would have been a given but I honestly don't know enough to say for sure.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
This is the most common way used to sell PC games.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Um, how many people still have dvd-drives in their PCs? I had to buy an external one just to watch my movie collection.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Not exactly a shocker is it, Titanfall 2 did it, almost every PC game does it

Doom had a cardboard print out with the game on it

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
This has been a thing with PC games for a while. No surprise here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
This is a common thing.

Cyberpunk 2077 will most likely need 10 DVDs on PC, so yes.

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
The physical release should be a GOG executable. You could just download it and put in your preferred storage solution (pen drive, microsd, discs, etc). It would be nice to have a space to store in the box, maybe one of those big boxes from old PC releases.

I don't think it's a problem because there is no DRM... at least in my point of view.

DemiOrpheus

Banned
May 9, 2020
Hnd1sbDbcnOays_6hWzraRosUtrMjg1CeGMWokLwTVQ.jpg

this is GTA 5 on PC, a seven year old game

now try to imagine how many a current game at the scale of Cyberpunk would need

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Genuine question, how common place are disc installs on PC these days? I thought this would have been a given but I honestly don't know enough to say for sure.
Buying F1 2019 physical was the cheapest way last year for me and it came on like 4 DVDs. I mean that's not a very large game either. GTA V was on 7 DVDs.
It's just unreasonable when BD never really became a thing on PC. Maybe add a $5-10 premium and put it on a USB stick?

OP
OP

bell_hooks

Banned
Nov 23, 2019
The physical release should be a GOG executable. You could just download it and put in your preferred storage solution (pen drive, microsd, discs, etc). It would be nice to have a space to store in the box, maybe one of those big boxes from old PC releases.

I don't think it's a problem because there is no DRM... at least in my point of view.

It will be code for GOG version

JCLShay

Apr 4, 2020
Curious.... anyone here who has a rig that can handle Cyberpunk but also is furious that they aren't getting CD roms to install?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Physical PC games haven't been a thing for me for a long, long time.

The GTA example is on point, too. The simple solution would be to release the game on Blu-ray, but most PC disc drives are only DVD drives. And a lot of computers don't even have disc drives any more.

I do plan on getting the game on PC myself, but I'll be buying it digitally through GOG.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I can't recall last time I got a disc with my game when buying a game for pc. Haven't gotten a disc in ages not even in collectors editions of Sekiro and RE 7 had discs just empty steel books lol.

Won both CE's from PC Gamer swe.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Most people who build PC's these days don't build them with disk drives. In fact, a lot of modern PC cases don't even have physical drives slots where you could put one in.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know a single person that has a blu-ray player in their PC. Not even a external one.

I think almost everyone just uses their console for that.

Likely. I don't know anyone with a DVD drive in their PC either, so. But I were a physical collector - I would probably go for a BD drive when building a PC. I'm not trying to argue that they really should make it on Blu-ray, but it could be a thing for collectors. :)

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have Witcher 3 physical on PC and while it comes with disks, my PC has not had a drive in a decade. It redeems with gog though so I've never needed the physical disk again either.

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising. Keeping in mind nearly all enthusiast PC case manufactures have long abandoned 5.25" drive bays in favor of saving space and/or having front mounted radiator support.

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't physical PC games use Blu-ray discs yet?
Very few people bought a Blu-ray drive.

The big reason for this is that movie studios put in some really restrictive DRM into movie blu-ray discs, so you must buy some separate blu-ray playing software to play the movies, and the player software will also have limits hardcoded into it (for example making sure that those annoying antipiracy warnings are unskippable).

By the time Blu-ray started making sense for game distribution, Steam took over and nobody still had a Blu-ray drive.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
I'm fine with that. Unless it's an indie game I don't really see the need for this.
Gaming PCs with optical drives are rare, and even if they did have them it'd probably would require a blu-ray to keep costs down which is even more rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.