• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last time I checked Sony doesn't get to market Cyberpunk 2077. This is MS's job this time!
Oh sure, but it's likely CD Project Red would announce the same for PlayStation once they make it official that they'll be offering the same thing from their first parties and publsihers can choose to opt in or not.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
What are You talking about ???? Are You trying to match 100s of games that are already in Cross Play vs one game that's not even out yet ???

I'm saying they rereleased games on a different machine , which you had to buy again.

So the claim that Sony did cross play 10 years ago is actually a moot point when it was so selective and in more recent years, they were quite happy for you to rebuy.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh sure, but it's likely CD Project Red would announce the same for PlayStation once they make it official that they'll be offering the same thing from their first parties and publsihers can choose to opt in or not.
At a later date maybe... Why would CDPR break an exclusive marketing agreement? I would say CDPR would probably have to ask MS about the promotion change. The most Sony can say is yes our game upgrades the same as Xbox and they can't even say Cyberpunk in the announcement. Sounds like MS has the perfect game and the perfect timing to advertise their strategy going forward to the general public.

Deleted member 30987

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm saying they rereleased games on a different machine , which you had to buy again.

So the claim that Sony did cross play 10 years ago is actually a moot point when it was so selective and in more recent years, they were quite happy for you to rebuy.

The difference is most of these games were released when the next platform was far from released, not cross-generation titles. They were even planned for these next console nor developed in the same time. So sorry You dont have a point here.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Now no reason to put off buying this game this holiday season, whether I get the new series X or not! I really hope other developers will do the same. This move is very positive for gamers

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At a later date maybe... Why would CDPR break an exclusive marketing agreement? I would say CDPR would probably have to ask MS about the promotion change. The most Sony can say is yes our game upgrades the same as Xbox and they can't even say Cyberpunk in the announcement.
I have no idea what the marketing agreement between CDPR and MS entails, however I'm guessing if Sony offers the same as Xbox, that CDPR can at least let PlayStation owners know that if they buy the game on PS4 then they will get the PS5 version. Once again, just a guess.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I think this is ultimately a "no shit Sherlock" kind of announcement- we already know all Xbox One games will work on Series X and Its all but been confirmed that all PS4 software will run on PS5.

Yes, the question of "upgrades" and "patches" to take advantage of better hardware is in question (and will probably be different from game to game), plus the systems might have some kind of baked in "boost mode" as well that applies to most anything- my guess- companies like CD Projekt Red will be real cool- and hand out 4k upgrade + GFX patches for free- others may seek to charge for this upgrade- but again, at least the base Xbox One/PS4 versions game will run on new hardware, no question. But naturally, I'm hoping that free patches becomes the norm, and companies will quickly be shamed out of any notion of charging for this kind of thing.

I don't expect Sony's policy to really be any different from MS's here. That would be a REALLY bad look, and they would get savaged if they didn't follow suit. The press release is just going out for Xbox because this is a MS marketed game, CD Projekt Red is being paid to make MS look like champs, and there just happens to be more official Series X info out there right now until Sony finally calls their own press conference, and as such, no one can current say much of anything regarding PS5 development.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have no idea what the marketing agreement between CDPR and MS entails, however I'm guessing if Sony offers the same as Xbox, that CDPR can at least let PlayStation owners know that if they buy the game on PS4 then they will get the PS5 version. Once again, just a guess.
On the game box sure advertising I'd say a big no... What if MS has big plans for that advancement that they shared with CDPR for the marketing agreement? I'd say MS read the fine details when they locked that game down. They want this game to sell Xbox's not Playstations!

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the game box sure advertising I'd said a big no... What if MS has big plans for that advancement that they shared with CDPR for the marketing agreement? I'd say MS read the fine details when they locked that game down. They want this game to sell Xbox'x not Playstations!
Who's arguing about advertising? You whole reply to me is one big strawman argument.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The difference is most of these games were released when the next platform was far from released, not cross-generation titles. They were even planned for these next console nor developed in the same time. So sorry You dont have a point here.

As an example The Last of Us released on PS3 just 6 months before the Ps4 was released. Not cross buy.

They have been very non-commital over the last 7 years to providing
A: Free Access to older titles you own, digitally or physically
B: Free access to ports of the same games.

Sony have plenty of time to announce their plans for TLOU2 and GoS etc and there is a really good chance that they will do the same thing and make the updates available for free. It seems bizarre that they wouldn't after this announcement.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
I was hoping this would be standard practice for next gen. I'm a little concerned that CDPR felt it necessary to announce this for Cyberpunk.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Who's arguing about advertising? You whole reply to me is one big strawman argument.

Oh I'm not arguing I'm stating how marketing exclusive games and content has changed over the years. Sony won't be able st say CyberPunk period MS will have made sure of that. (Especially in light of how specific COD marketing is done now days.)

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I was hoping this would be standard practice for next gen. I'm a little concerned that CDPR felt it necessary to announce this for Cyberpunk.

Microsoft very much referred to it as optional.
There will be companies who simply can't rationalize making that investment, perhaps it is part of their business model.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I'm not arguing I'm stating how marketing exclusive games and content has changed over the years. Sony won't be able st say CyberPunk period MS will have made sure of that. (Especially in light of how specific COD marketing is done now days.)
Who said anything about Sony saying anything about Cyberpunk? I don't get the point of your reply to me.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

Has there even been announcement of deal between CDP and MS or are you just drawing wild ass conclusions from them being at MS presser?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Who said anything about Sony saying anything about Cyberpunk? I don't get the point of your reply to me.

I think he is saying that with these marketing deals they simply do not talk about the game on other machines. It will likely show up in an FAQ somewhere and be reported by the media.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You said CDPR would announce the same for Playstation. I'm saying that announcement won't be made!

There will be nothing preventing CDPR from notifying PS owners that they'll get the same treatment once Sony announces the PS5 officially.

That's not how marketing deals work.

Deleted member 30987

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
As an example The Last of Us released on PS3 just 6 months before the Ps4 was released. Not cross buy.

They have been very non-commital over the last 7 years to providing
A: Free Access to older titles you own, digitally or physically
B: Free access to ports of the same games.

Sony have plenty of time to announce their plans for TLOU2 and GoS etc and there is a really good chance that they will do the same thing and make the updates available for free. It seems bizarre that they wouldn't after this announcement.

Tell me when TLOU released on PS4 ? 6 months after PS3 version ? or 2 years ? Do You really see this same thing as with current thing with Cyberpunk, when all these versions are developed concurrently ? Bc I dont.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You said CDPR would announce the same for Playstation. I'm saying that announcement won't be made!
Sure. CDPR would announce it. Not Sony. I'm guessing. However I guess I could be wrong, and you could be right.
I think he is saying that with these marketing deals they simply do not talk about the game on other machines. It will likely show up in an FAQ somewhere and be reported by the media.
OK. Much better said.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I don't really get why it's a big deal. We already knew Xbox 1 games will be BC with Xbox SX. l presume almost all games will be BC on XSX unless the developer remasters a game from the beginning of this gen or a Xbox 360 game. Considering that Cyberpunk is a very new game, it's only logical for it to be crossbuy, because CDPR would have no excuse of a remaster. It's basically just a free PR move for them.

If Sony's BC is similar to Xbox's solution, it should be no different.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Smart delivery (I had to look up the word because I forgot XD) is an overblown buzzword. Its cool but its expected. Its backwards compatiblity with a fucking update patch lmao.
Not exactly. It also includes single player or multiplayer only download delivery and only pushing downloads which are relevant to the system (Xbox One download will not be the same as XSX download).

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
There is a difference between BC game and not paying for the native PS5 version.
Sony hasn't charged for PS4 Pro upgrades. There will be no difference in how they approach PS5 upgrades, other than maybe they'll press BDXL discs specifically for PS5 in addition to patches for PS4 discs and digital downloads. If there are, many will question the discrepancy, and it will be bad press.

Aug 31, 2018
So I don't know if this happened to anybody else but the Playstation Store just canceled my pre-order of Cyberpunk 2077 this morning, even though I did not ask them to do so. Very curious timing I think.

For background, I did pre-order right after Christmas time before they had delayed the game from April to September.

I am wondering if this happened to anyone else?

Deleted member 30987

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Not exactly. It also includes single player or multiplayer only download delivery and only pushing downloads which are relevant to the system (Xbox One download will not be the same as XSX download).

Which, to be fair, is just managing shit they (I mean platform creators) created themselves. Would You expect PS3 version data to be downloaded alongside PS4 one for any game ??

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Why can't games ship with two different graphics presets and have only one disc? Is it not feasible? For example: I buy Cyberpunk for the Xbox One. One disc, one SKU. I put it in my Xbox One, it's optimized for the Xbox One. I put it in my Series X, it's optimized for series X with better assets. Or just have the assets download locally to my machine. Is this not possible?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Sony hasn't charged for PS4 Pro upgrades. There will be no difference in how they approach PS5 upgrades, other than maybe they'll press BDXL discs specifically for PS5 in addition to patches for PS4 discs and digital downloads. If there are, many will question the discrepancy, and it will be bad press.
I didn't said they will, they probably won't.
I said comparing PS4 => PS4 Pro with PS4 => PS5 is wrong, it is not the same.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why can't games ship with two different graphics presets and have only one disc? Is it not feasible? For example: I buy Cyberpunk for the Xbox One. One disc, one SKU. I put it in my Xbox One, it's optimized for the Xbox One. I put it in my Series X, it's optimized for series X with better assets. Or just have the assets download locally to my machine. Is this not possible?
It's probably more to do with limits on disc capacity. The Smart option that MS is working with is basically you put the disc into whatever machine you're using and it will install and download the correct assets. With Series X in mind, it will probably have to downloads higher assets etc, hence the disc capacity issue.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

There are a bunch of games that are over 100gb already this gen, I think this is to try and streamline that process.

It's a waste of time to download the Xbox SX assets for an Xbox One X and vice versa.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I think this is ultimately a "no shit Sherlock" kind of announcement- we already know all Xbox One games will work on Series X and Its all but been confirmed that all PS4 software will run on PS5.

Yes, the question of "upgrades" and "patches" to take advantage of better hardware is in question (and will probably be different from game to game), plus the systems might have some kind of baked in "boost mode" as well that applies to most anything- my guess- companies like CD Projekt Red will be real cool- and hand out 4k upgrade + GFX patches for free- others may seek to charge for this upgrade- but again, at least the base Xbox One/PS4 versions game will run on new hardware, no question. But naturally, I'm hoping that free patches becomes the norm, and companies will quickly be shamed out of any notion of charging for this kind of thing.

I don't expect Sony's policy to really be any different from MS's here. That would be a REALLY bad look, and they would get savaged if they didn't follow suit. The press release is just going out for Xbox because this is a MS marketed game, CD Projekt Red is being paid to make MS look like champs, and there just happens to be more official Series X info out there right now until Sony finally calls their own press conference, and as such, no one can current say much of anything regarding PS5 development.

The Smart Delivery feature description sounds like you are getting the Series X version of the game and not just the Xbox One version running via BC.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
The Smart Delivery feature description sounds like you are getting the Series X version of the game and not just the Xbox One version running via BC.
Indeed.

It is also good for people with multiple consoles, my daughter for example will still be using the X1X in her room, so she will be able to play the X1X version while the XSX in the living room will be able to run the super duper version ;)

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Have they actually tweeted anything in regard to ps5?

Also free update?
They don't need to and they probably won't. MS has the marketing rights so they can't say anything. Obviously, judging from Project Reds pro consumer history and possible Sony game sales clauses, it's coming for free on the PS5 as well.