• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
I was gonna wait anyways for a Black Friday deal on the PS4 version since this is now launching in September, but with this I'll also just play it on the Xbox Series X. Can't wait!

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
So, it's a port rather than an enhanced version.

Makes me wonder how ports like that R6S port will work then. Are we looking at selective BC, or should we expect a lot of devs to avoid providing enhanced updates to existing gen games, and hold the upgrade behind $60
They haven't spoken about enhanced versions at all. Current Xbox owners can probably expect enhancements to the port. I think the day of payed enhanced versions is over. Im not even sure devs will be able to block someone from playing a title thats from a previous gen on Xbox.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
No one is going to buy Cyberpunk 2077 in September if they know they'll have to rebuy in November for their next gen system. Same with every other AAA game coming out in the next 10 months. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.

There are not going to be many instances of games that would fit under this description.

And I promise you, EA will be asking people to rebuy Madden just as they did in 2013.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
I hope so, but I am very curious to hear the answer to this.

My guess is they'll do it the same way they do X360 back-compat with physical disks: the system authenticates via the disk, but downloads the forward-compatible client from the internet. Maybe they'll set up partial downloads for future-compatible stuff, but then you'd miss out on any improved texture/sound work.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
OK, so I reached out to CD Projekt RED PR asking if they could clarify this and was told, "I'm very sorry but we have nothing to add beyond what the tweet says."

So they're not confirming whether the tweet means:

There is an Xbox Series X version.
vs.
There is no Xbox Series X version, but the Xbox One version will be patched to run / look better when played on Xbox Series X.

Strange thing not to clarify if you ask me.
We all know they are going to have a next gen version of the game.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I mean this was expected. The trouble is we don't know if they'll be enhancements or what they'll be. I'd rather wait and get the game in true next gen form if they're making one than a BC title.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused at what people could expect from a next-gen "remaster" with regards to any existing PS4/Xbox One game on the new consoles.

Last time around, there was no backwards compatibility with the old generation (Xbox got it 2 years after release and it took time to build up the portfolio). So there was a reason to sell you games like The Last of Us, etc.

Now however, we have confirmed full-BC with the entire PS4/Xbox One generation right out of the gate. There's no need for a "remaster" of anything, really. What could they really improve? Most games run at 4K already. A few new textures here and there? You'd be crazy to buy a game for that when you literally already have a working version right there on your console. The market for this kind of thing is over. There'll be remakes (like Shadow of the Colossus), sure. But remasters? I just don't see it.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I mean, this makes sense as Microsoft is trying to get away from the whole idea of console generations. They'll just release better hardware, and you'll be able to play your games regardless of which generation of hardware you purchased your games on. As someone else pointed out earlier, it's like upgrading a PC. You don't have to re-buy all of your games when you get better hardware.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think number 3 could be true at all. Sony had a shit ton of cross buy titles where one licence would get you the game on PS3, PS4 and PS Vita.

Number 1 is the likely answer, but number 2 is a remote possibility.
That was true for many and I mean many indie titles(which were good), but can you name all the third party triple A games that did this, hell A or B titles that again weren't indie and didnt require the $10 license upgrade purchase.

JeRzYzFyNeSt

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
this is just good PR

they know they gonna allow XBOX one games to play on series X and i think the only thing that seperates the games will be a big patch Update that will already be installed with a brand new opening of the game on the Series X

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Never underestimate how scummy companies can be, NEVER. If there isn't at least 1 big publisher which is gonna charge money for next-gen upgrades I'll be shocked.

Or perhaps it'll be the excuse publishers use to set an MSRP of $69 or higher instead of the standard $59.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, I'm hoping Doom Eternal is like this, too. But I think it falls to Bethesda as the game's publisher more than anyone else, and of course Sony might have service policies or something that can dictate what happens on the PlayStation version.

But great news for Cyberpunk, makes an Xbox buy-in pretty easy for its September launch now!

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
This is confusing. How does this make them money? Like, why would I buy the Xbox 1x version, when I could buy the Xbox one version for cheaper and then get the other one for free?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Woo, maybe I'll rethink waiting for next gen after all.

Though I half expect my creaky OG XB1 to give up the ghost when faced with the prospect of running this thing.

blalala

Oct 27, 2017
vs.
There is no Xbox Series X version, but the Xbox One version will be patched to run / look better when played on Xbox Series X.

What's the difference? These two things amount to the same result and there's already precedent for this with xbox one > one x

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Good PR. There's obviously red tape around the tweet but it's money well spent. Don't knock the hustle.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I wonder if the XSX version will be available at launch though because I know CDPR said the next gen versions were not a priority for them at the moment

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There are not going to be many instances of games that would fit under this description.

And I promise you, EA will be asking people to rebuy Madden just as they did in 2013.

Their annualized games will continue to be annualized games. Most games don't fit under that description. I guarantee Activision aren't charging people to extra to continue playing Modern Warfare on XSX or PS5. Ubisoft aren't going to charge you to play Breakpoint, Assassins Creed or Rainbow 6. Capcom is going to want you to keep playing Monster Hunter and Resident Evil 3 multiplayer. Same with almost every game. We are in a different landscape than 2013. There was no backwards compatibility in 2013. How else was EA going to allow you to keep playing Madden on next gen systems?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Expected but nice to see devs come out and talk about it.

People need to just think of buying these consoles as the same as if you were to upgrade your hardware in your PC. Everything still works and you don't need to re-buy anything, and existing games will be built with future hardware upgrades in mind. If devs want to charge for something, it will have to be worth it. Like a full game remake, not a simple resolution upgrade.

Just look at what Valve has been doing with steam for the past decade and these consoles will emulate it.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I believe it's common knowledge that all Xbox One games will play on Xbox Series X.

I mean yeah, I never questioned that?

We all know they are going to have a next gen version of the game.

I think so as well, but I can't say that definitely without confirmation.

What's the difference? These two things amount to the same result and there's already precedent for this with xbox one > one x

Fair question. The difference is largely SKU-based, I guess. Option one would mean I could go to the store and pick up a physical Xbox One copy of the game or a physical Xbox Series X copy of the game, the other would mean I could only go to the store and pick up an Xbox One copy of the game (which, of course, plays on Xbox Series X).

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the XSX version will be available at launch though because I know CDPR said the next gen versions were not a priority for them at the moment
But here's the thing, modern consoles are basically PCs, and the PC version of the game is coming out in September. So likely they are just building the game with different quality settings for the various platforms, so they won't have to go to much effort to make it for next-gen consoles, just enable the settings from the PC version that give the best graphics the XSX is capable of. The days of hand-crafting ports for each console are over, except maybe for Switch because of how much less powerful it is.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
That's on Sony to announce their own "Smart Delivery" service, as detailed in the latest Xbox Series X news.
P.S. Sony has not yet announced anything, as you can tell. We'reWaiting.gif

Ok, but see, this then is CDPR taking credit for what Microsoft is offering. They're claiming they believe that every gamer should not have to pay for upgrades but this is really MS offering this, not them. So we should be thanking MS, not CDPR who is just taking advantage of a feature some one else is offering. IF this was from CDPR, we'd see this on Playstation too. Hell, if they really put their money where their mouth was you could buy it on one platform and get it on any other platform regardless of what it was. Not that I have a problem with buying a PC version if I have the PS version, but they're the ones making this statement.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is what I expected. With full Xbox One compatibility out of the box (as in it runs everything the X1 currently runs, including X360 and Xbox Original titles), they can't just get away with selling new versions that barely even qualify as remasters on the new consoles. I can still see some companies pull complete editions with DLCs and whatnot, but they're always competing against the BC version as well, limiting their own sales potential. This is very consumer-friendly and in general an awesome feature brought over from PC. I just built my gaming PC and installed on it my favourite games from the 90's to our days. This is what console should aim for, too.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Their annualized games will continue to be annualized games. Most games don't fit under that description. I guarantee Activision aren't charging people to extra to continue playing Modern Warfare on XSX or PS5. Ubisoft aren't going to charge you to play Breakpoint, Assassins Creed or Rainbow 6. Capcom is going to want you to keep playing Monster Hunter and Resident Evil 3 multiplayer. Same with almost every game. We are in a different landscape than 2013. There was no backwards compatibility in 2013. How else was EA going to allow you to keep playing Madden on next gen systems?

It kind of sounds like you're confusing standard backwards compatibility with what this Cyberpunk announcement seems to be (upgrading to the obviously planned XSX version of the game for free).

I mean, obviously they aren't going to charge people extra to play Modern Warfare. It will be backwards compatible.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Some of the negative spin I see people trying to make out of this news is just ... lol I don't know. I don't have a kind way of putting it.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Such an amazing feature. Xbox One version isn't running as smoothly as you like it you can always play it later when you eventually upgrade to the XSX at no additional cost for the game. It always sucked having to buy games twice. Hope every 3rd party dev does this.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused - are they confirming that Cyberpunk 2077 will also release on Xbox Series X? (Because this would be the first time they're confirming a next-generation version.) Or are they confirming that Cyberpunk 2077 for Xbox One will receive a patch that makes it run better / look nicer on Xbox Series X?
I don't see much difference here. All current gen games are basically releasing on next gen as well by virtue of next gen consoles having BC.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I am betting this is an MS deal kinda thing.. unless they eventually announce this for PS4 too.
Well, this is specifically for Xbox's Smart Delivery system. Sony would have to announce something similar or else CD Projekt RED will most likely have their own system in place.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I am betting this is an MS deal kinda thing.. unless they eventually announce this for PS4 too.
How in the world could they get away with such a statement about not needing to buy the game again, but then make PS4 owners do that for their PS5? This is almost certainly their policy for both consoles.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
OK, so I reached out to CD Projekt RED PR asking if they could clarify this and was told, "I'm very sorry but we have nothing to add beyond what the tweet says."

So they're not confirming whether the tweet means:

vs.

Strange thing not to clarify if you ask me.
It sounds like it will just be the Xbox One version and even if you don't own an Xbox anything until you buy the Xbox Series X; once you put the game disc in the system, it will automatically download the upgrade while installing it.

Essentially, it's a version for both systems and there only needs to be 1 manufactured and that will be the Xbox One version.