• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Great precedent to set from 3rd parties. Was fearing from the X1X news it sounded more optional, and we would be seeing full priced ports, but seeing this, from a studio that will likely push X1X tech, gonna be harder to justify moves like that, guess we'll see.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Considering how gamers are getting mtx and extra downloadable content from all sides, this is welcome.

Was totally expecting a separate XSX version. Would like to see The last of us 2 do the same

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
This is much better than last gen's "pay 10/15 bucks to upgrade" the PS3 to PS4 version, like they did with Final Fantasy 14 and a few other games.

Edit: Squeenix had a free upgrade back in the day, but you had to pay 9.99 to upgrade these games.

Last edited:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
As to be expected. No one is gonna pay for upgrades especially when big names come out the gate and say its free of charge. Cross-gen titles will only require 1 purchase and if they don't I guess they gotta prepare for backlash.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm liking that companies are coming out to directly say this. Good on Microsoft for pushing for a forwards compatible library.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
tenor.gif

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Woah, this is huge. Maybe not all that surprising coming from CDP, but I wonder if this will be mandated for MS going forward and they will just has one SKU for all games.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I legitimately couldn't decide what system to get Cyberpunk for
I will now 100% buy it on Xbox one

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Woah, this is huge. Maybe not all that surprising coming from CDP, but I wonder if this will be mandated for MS going forward and they will just has one SKU for all games.
i don't think they will mandate it for all games. but it'd be cool to see more devs do it. rockstar for example, i can't see them not re-releasing RDR2 on next gen consoles as a separate release.

Sevyne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't CDPR have a marketing deal with MS for Cyberpunk? Even if the PS5 was fully revealed and had the same option I don't think you'd be hearing about it at the same time as this.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused - are they confirming that Cyberpunk 2077 will also release on Xbox Series X? (Because this would be the first time they're confirming a next-generation version.) Or are they confirming that Cyberpunk 2077 for Xbox One will receive a patch that makes it run better / look nicer on Xbox Series X?

OK, so I reached out to CD Projekt RED PR asking if they could clarify this and was told, "I'm very sorry but we have nothing to add beyond what the tweet says."

So they're not confirming whether the tweet means:

There is an Xbox Series X version.
vs.
There is no Xbox Series X version, but the Xbox One version will be patched to run / look better when played on Xbox Series X.

Strange thing not to clarify if you ask me.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
If the game is out when Series X comes out I'll play it on that for damn sure! It's awesome to see them stay winning.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
At this moment, It's just them doing this right?
I can still expect to see complete edition sku from other devs?

I'd rather not have to download 100GB worth of data for every patched game.
Give me that xsx sku with all install data on disc. 😭

Oct 25, 2017
So, it's a port rather than an enhanced version.

Makes me wonder how ports like that R6S port will work then. Are we looking at selective BC, or should we expect a lot of devs to avoid providing enhanced updates to existing gen games, and hold the upgrade behind $60

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No, it definitely won't be.

I'd be willing to take that bet. I think it will. Phil Spencer does too. Of course there will be exceptions, but this will be the standard. Unless, for some reason, publishers have no interest in selling games for the next 10 months. The flood gates are now open. I guess some of them might try to swim against the tide, but that's a losing strategy.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
"Gamers should never be forced to purchase the same game twice."

I assume they're just talking about not buying the same game twice within a single ecosystem, which I vibe with, but this statement has me dreaming of full Movies Anywhere for multiplatform video games.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
«
Gamers should never be forced to purchase the same game twice or pay for upgrades«

Bought Witcher 3 on PS4. Xbox one X. And switch. Gimme money back lol

Anyway. Very good news

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
With one tweet cd projekt might have boxed all other big publishers into a corner. Good luck trying to resell the same game twice now and not get hit with a huge backlash.

Sony hasn't released details yet so other publishers can't comment on it.

They can skirt the issue by releasing a complete edition, that's only available on next gen machines.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
OK, so I reached out to CD Projekt RED PR asking if they could clarify this and was told, "I'm very sorry but we have nothing to add beyond what the tweet says."

vs.
There is no Xbox Series X version, but the Xbox One version will be patched to run / look better when played on Xbox Series X.

Good ask. PR people are ridiculous. How could they not have thought this might come up with the announcement?

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
They talk about Series X upgrade, not other version.
Just like PS4 Pro and One X patches.
The Series X is a next gen console, not a mid-gen update like the Pro/X. If the game has a patch the enables it to take advantage of next gen hardware, it is then a cross-gen game.

It doesn't matter if a game launches day one on current and next-gen, or launches on current gen, then updated later to next gen. Both instances should be considered as cross-gen games.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Nooice.

I would double dip regardless as I adore their games, but this is very welcome news indeed.

might still double dip for XSX cover :D

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
If there is this type of backwards compatibility on Xbox One X where I own next gen versions of games without needing to purchase some BS Remaster that's gonna convince me to upgrade from Xbox One X earlier than I thought

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case, why would anyone ever buy the X release? By then, the One version would probably be much cheaper.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'd be willing to take that bet. I think it will. Phil Spencer does too. Of course there will be exceptions, but this will be the standard. Unless, for some reason, publishers have no interest in selling games for the next 10 months. The flood gates are now open. I guess some of them might try to swim against the tide, but that's a losing strategy.

Huh?

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
With one tweet cd projekt might have boxed all other big publishers into a corner. Good luck trying to resell the same game twice now and not get hit with a huge backlash.

Sony hasn't released details yet so other publishers can't comment on it.

Right, I'm not saying they should have listed PS5 or anything, and I expect them to have it, just saying if it doesn't then it's a big yikes. This isn't a PS3-4 situation though so I fully expect them to be on board with a similar strategy.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Sick, guess I'll wait to play it then, should be plenty of other games to play around then

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They can skirt the issue by releasing a complete edition, that's only available on next gen machines.

So many of them have already released their "complete editions". Like Battlefront II. You think EA wants people to stop playing BF II because they upgraded to next gen consoles? Of course they don't. They want you to stay engaged with their biggest online game right now, so of course their going to make sure it's ready for you to play with new 4K 60FPS graphics day one. Same with Modern Warfare, Rainbow 6 and every other huge AAA online game.

Apr 30, 2019
So is this like going from Skyrim on the 360 to Skyrim ultimate edition on the One? Or is it just a resolution and frame rate bump?

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

vs.

They are quoting a posto from Ms that says they enabled developers to make a game for current and next generation as a single entry (same achievements, saves, player pool and a single purchase).

I think that's pretty clear what it means (though I get why getting a clarification would be important specially for a site to report)

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The Series X is a next gen console, not a mid-gen update like the Pro/X. If the game has a patch the enables it to take advantage of next gen hardware, it is then a cross-gen game.

It doesn't matter if a game launches day one on current and next-gen, or launches on current gen, then updated later to next gen. Both instances should be considered as cross-gen games.
That's not what cross gen means. Cross gen refers to development plans for a game to release near-simultaneously on two gens. It is not for what you're describing, like remasters and ports that came months or years later for another gen.

Cyberpunk is not cross gen. It was always trying to release for this gen. Next gen has remained an unconfirmed "how" and "if" that we don't know much about their plans for at all.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Three guesses

1. They just haven't announced yet it will also be for PS4/5 - they're replying directly to Xbox it would be weird to mention PS
2. Xbox paid them to do it but Sony will not
3. Sony does not make it anywhere near as easy to give cross licenses for purchases between generations as Xbox does

I don't think number 3 could be true at all. Sony had a shit ton of cross buy titles where one licence would get you the game on PS3, PS4 and PS Vita.

Number 1 is the likely answer, but number 2 is a remote possibility.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Called it. I knew MS would want certain high profile partners to have this available. I wouldnt be surprised if Bethesda is next.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused - are they confirming that Cyberpunk 2077 will also release on Xbox Series X? (Because this would be the first time they're confirming a next-generation version.) Or are they confirming that Cyberpunk 2077 for Xbox One will receive a patch that makes it run better / look nicer on Xbox Series X?
I believe it's common knowledge that all Xbox One games will play on Xbox Series X.