• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

ITBEATS

Oct 30, 2017
This feels like something special - Night City is astounding.

Trying not to get sucked in too much with Forbidden West and Elden Ring imminent.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Now that the next gen versions are out, which version of the game is the Stadia build based on?

If it's next gen, I just might buy again next time there's a sale. (Already own on PS4 Pro)

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Game runs very well at 60 fps (Series X - LGCX)

However, RT mode is impossible. It feels like 12fps with massive smearing and stutter. Plus, the FOV feels very constrained-low, which makes it even harder to control. Try to aim while firing a rifle at 60fps vs 30 fps and see what I mean.

Edit: Also, I was able to see the difference INSIDE the car, but outside everything looked the same? Am I missing something (Performance vs RT)?
I play exclusively in Quality modes on Xbox series X games. I played about 2 hours last night and I didn't experience any stutters to 12 fps. The only blur I saw was from the motion blur and film grain. I turned those off immediately like I do for all games.

It's getting super tiring reading people shitting on 30 fps. So much hyperbole in this thread alone. Anyone that states it's impossible, unplayable or whatever really should learn the definition of those words.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
The worst thing about this game so far is no 3rd person toggle like Skyrim. Not being able to see my character is fucking with me.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I play exclusively in Quality modes on Xbox series X games. I played about 2 hours last night and I didn't experience any stutters to 12 fps. The only blur I saw was from the motion blur and film grain. I turned those off immediately like I do for all games.

It's getting super tiring reading people shitting on 30 fps. So much hyperbole in this thread alone. Anyone that states it's impossible, unplayable or whatever really should learn the definition of those words.

I usually play everything at 30 fps as well, as I enjoy the higher fidelity.

I couldn't with this game/update.

I dont think I'm using hyperbole, I said it FEELS like 12 fps, instead of 30, not that it runs at 30.

I dont know why it feels that way, but I also didn't see a difference between modes (only inside the car). Pedestrian and traffic density, even shadows, everything looked quite the same.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California

I dont think I'm using hyperbole, I said it FEELS like 12 fps, instead of 30, not that it runs at 30.

I dont know why it feels that way, but I also didn't see a difference between modes (only inside the car). Pedestrian and traffic density, even shadows, everything looked quite the same.
I haven't personally compared the two modes. There's images on previous pages that show shadows completely missing in performance mode. I believe they were in a tweet.

Edit: Here's what I found. There were a few other examples as well. But I found this first.

Last edited:

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Apologies if already posted, saw this on my feed:

So I took the advice of a post earlier in the thread and disabled RT reflections while keeping the rest, still looks great but definitely appears to chug more than it did at launch using like settings with DLSS Auto. On a 2060S.

Out of curiosity I fired up DL2 with all RT enabled and my word performance is so much smoother. I'm assuming this is a number of objects, density thing? Or is it possible Techland has optimized things better with their engine? There's clearly a lot more things going on in a busy scene in 2077 especially when you have full pedestrian density. Wish I could get my performance higher in 2077, might need to check out DF's og recommended settings. Curious if they'll do a new video for the new patch.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Apologies if already posted, saw this on my feed:

So I took the advice of a post earlier in the thread and disabled RT reflections while keeping the rest, still looks great but definitely appears to chug more than it did at launch using like settings with DLSS Auto. On a 2060S.

Out of curiosity I fired up DL2 with all RT enabled and my word performance is so much smoother. I'm assuming this is a number of objects, density thing? Or is it possible Techland has optimized things better with their engine? There's clearly a lot more things going on in a busy scene in 2077 especially when you have full pedestrian density. Wish I could get my performance higher in 2077, might need to check out DF's og recommended settings. Curious if they'll do a new video for the new patch.

I found lowering the baseline settings to be helpful. Try DF's optimized settings and take it from there. Even lowering if need be, because the gains from RT are far more substantial.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Just played through the corpo intro plus the opening mission. Man, if it wasn't for Horizon this week (and Elden Ring next week), I can tell this game would get its hooks into me hard. Again.

Yeah I only intended on checking it out to see how it looked/performed but ended up starting a new game/different path and playing a few hours and now I want to go back to it tonight. But I don't know if I'll be able to give it much attention after Friday.

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK

It's the awful input lag on 30fps in this one. I don't mind playing 30fps games like ratchet etc but this is poor due to input lag.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Is there any video that goes in depth on the changes in this patch, specifically to the loot and RPG mechanics? Tbh, I ended up bouncing off this game really quick largely because of those elements. Have they just been tweaked or are the systems redesigned entirely?

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah I also found the 30fps to be unplayable. Like you said it actually feels like it's 12 fps or something really low, the responsiveness is terrible. Had absolutely no issue with recent games like Last of Us 2 or Ghost of Tsushima on PS4 at 30fps.

Even with the game in a MUCH better state than launch, it still feels like beta software. Traffic density is still extremely low, cars still just disappear right in front of your eyes as they approach you, various minor bugs like ragdolls getting stuck in walls or just behaving weird, and the draw distance is still pretty bad with things like streetlights not rendering their lights or any sort of effect until they are right in front of you.

Also the tooltip in the options menu says the raytracing mode has raytraced shadows AND reflections even though it's really only shadows.

All that being said, I definitely feel like I can actually play and enjoy the game now, although I do think it would be best to wait for at least one more major patch.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
This feels like something special - Night City is astounding.

Trying not to get sucked in too much with Forbidden West and Elden Ring imminent.
Actually, I cancelled my Elden and FW pre-order because of this update. Been waiting to play the game since it came out and wanted to wait. This way any patches/updates and perhaps a sale on Elden or FW will be available. Looking forward to those games thought...but haven no issue waiting. I been also eyeing and almost bought Dying Light 2, but I will hold off a bit more while I play Cyberpunk.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I had a problem with ray tracing mode, that the controls felt too sluggish. I went to controls > advanced (under response curve) and set everything to 0. Left response curve at default. Everything immediately felt better. Keeping it on ray tracing mode, plays fine now for me.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah haha some people are like "I can't even look at anything under 60fps" and then you find the next level of this nerd saying "120fps or its unplayable." This spectrum goes all the way up to like 240fps.

And...it's completely fine at 30fps lol. This isn't Doom 2016.

You on OLED screen?

I kind of feel bad for those that aren't. Joke obviously but changing over is when I started finding 30fps intolerable

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
There is a setting I forget the name of that I turned off. The setting basically spins the camera faster the longer you hold the stick in a direction. I turned that off and bumped up the sensitivity of both horizontal and vertical until it felt right for me. But I cant get ADS to feel right at all, it feels bugged. No matter the setting ADS feels too quick.
Messing with the stick settings definitely helped

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Any tips for best hdrsettings, hdr working now... right?

From what I've seen/read they have improved the way the HDR settings impact the image, but I don't think any of the tv "experts" would say the HDR implementation is very good. Anyway, here's what I understand:

Maximum Brightness: set this to the max nits of your display

Paper White: this only affects brightness of the hud, so set it wherever you like. OLED users are recommended to set to 100

Tone-Mapping Midpoint: Set this to 1.0 based on Vincent's (from HDTVTest) recommendation. If you find it too dark you can bump it up a bit. Also note that there is a bug when adjusting this in the settings screen and you do not see the impact of the changes. You have to go back to gameplay to be able to see the change.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Is there any video that goes in depth on the changes in this patch, specifically to the loot and RPG mechanics? Tbh, I ended up bouncing off this game really quick largely because of those elements. Have they just been tweaked or are the systems redesigned entirely?
I think this one is pretty good at summarizing what changed in regards to balancing.

• The maximum number of mod slots you can have across all clothing items was reduced from 20 to 9
  • Legendary mods now require legendary pieces of clothing to be equipped
  • Every mod is now tied to a specific category of clothing (i.e. Deadeye crit mod can only be equipped in eyewear gear)
  • Your default crit damage has been reduced from 100% to 50% and every point in Reflexes now gives 0.25% crit chance instead of 1%
  • Crit chance and crit damage of legendary weapons has been significantly reduced across the board
  • Stat requirements on some of the best legendary weapons have been increased (i.e. Comrade's Hammer now requires 10 body instead of 6 to use properly)
  • Legendary armadillo mods now give 75 armor per mod instead of 270
  • Evasion has been replaced with Mitigation. It is governed by 2 stats, similar to crit chance and crit damage. You have mitigation chance and mitigation amount, for example you can have a 10% chance to mitigate 50% of damage on hit.
All of these changes - and I am sure there are many more that have not been discovered yet - make builds matter much more than before. You can no longer get 100% crit chance and 500% crit damage on every character by stacking deadeye and bully mods. Combined with the improved combat AI, fights are now much harder and more tactical, which is a great change. I really love the direction this game is going in and I hope we see more of this in the future.

So mechanically speaking, your choices should matter more now and builds will be more distinct. No more shooting people with 100% critical chance and 500% critical damage.

In regards to loot, they drastically reduced the amount of useless loot you can pick up so you're less distracted while exploring and during missions.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
performance in 60 fps mode on ps5 was really great....until i reached chapter 2. the moment i left the apartment building and stepped into the city, the game started to stutter. hard. chapter 1, same scene was solid 60. now it feels more like 40ish.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
The updated rt shadows really are incredible, spent like 15 minutes on the beach in Laguna Bend just appreciating the shadows on the washed up trash.

skxdlxx

Nov 9, 2020
I'm finding RT mode makes the whole world look a lot more glued together. Cars and people are actually 'on' the pavement, whereas without RT it just looks like a bunch of things that don't quite fit in their environment. Wheels don't look like they're making contact with the ground, vehicles and NPCs in the distance appear to be sort of floating.

The lower fps is pretty punishing at times on an OLED but the 60fps mode just doesn't look great to me compared to RT. Wish there was a middle ground.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
PC, but definitely new with the patch and you can tell the difference. Think that rtx feature is what consoles got.
Damn yeah. I'm trying to upgrade my PC, but would have to buy a new prebuilt if I can sell my current custom build. With horizon coming out I might pause on this and see if that happens, then get this on PC.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Damn...can't decide on PC vs XSX now. I have an i7-8700 and GTX 2070 Super...would I be able to play this with RT on at a stable framerate preferably above 40? I did try the XSX trial and ya...the 30fps mode feels pretty rough.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Trophies don't auto-pop on save transfer...

I don't want to do all the 100% stuff again with how buggy it was the first time.. This kind of sucks

Thankfully I considered that might happen and left save files just before every Trophy I've acquired. I ended up not playing much of the game but the saves are there.

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
Damn...can't decide on PC vs XSX now. I have an i7-8700 and GTX 2070 Super...would I be able to play this with RT on at a stable framerate preferably above 40? I did try the XSX trial and ya...the 30fps mode feels pretty rough.

On PC you'll have more RT options and your gpu can use DLSS that helps boost the fps, if you're using 1080p monitor, you can even reach 60fps depends on the RT settings.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played it before, and wasn't sure if I wanted to, but now that they're giving a lengthy free trial on new consoles I figured I should give it a try. My entire knowledge of the game is from the videos I've seen, and based on that, PS5 version is solid but not amazing. It kind of still looks just like the PS4 version of the game, except it has noticeably higher NPC density, LOD distance, and runs at about 1440p and solid 60FPS (I haven't noticed any drops of frame pacing issues). While the performance mode is what you'd hope for, the "Ray-trace" mode is a total disappointment on consoles. In the menu it says it adds ray traced local shadows and reflections, but in practice the shadows don't amount to anything actually visible without doing A-B screen comparisons, and reflections are most definitely not ray traced, and look exactly the same (SSR+Cubemaps) as performance mode. On top of that, the raytraced mode is running at 30FPS, probably at the same 1440p as the performance mode (confirmed on Series X, so probably the same on PS5) and it has very noticeable input lag making it hard to play. Pretty much the RT mode is pointless on consoles IMO, and they should have cut resolution as much as it needed to be cut to be able to implement RT GI, to make any sense to have this mode in. As it is, the game overall looks a lot like it did on PS4, which is hard to not be disappointed with, as I think the PC version of the game had something going on with the lighting that made it look better than console version even when RT was turned off. There's no such thing on PS5 here, the game has exact same lighting as the PS4 version.
*Edit* After watching the second ElAnalista video, I think I was wrong in thinking that PC non-RT lighting is better than on consoles. It seems to be the same. However, the RT GI really makes scenes look noticeably better. Some more so than others, but it makes the most difference.

In any case, the good thing is that after all these patches, it feels solid. I played it for about two hours, and it played really well. I still don't know if I actually want to keep playing it though.

Is there an early indicator of PS5 versus Series X?
They are most likely the same. I've seen the "ElAnalista" video that compares all the Xbox versions of the game, and Series X version is pretty much 100% exactly what I've been seeing on PS5.
*edit* There's a new video that compares PS5 and Series X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1pX3okq4dA
They seem the same (look identical, no framerate issues, and 1440p in all modes). PS5 loads 2s faster (9s vs 11s)

Last edited:

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Is there ever a crafting or upgrade tutorial? What causes me to learn clothing recipes? Disassembling doesn't seem to do it.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
On PC you'll have more RT options and your gpu can use DLSS that helps boost the fps, if you're using 1080p monitor, you can even reach 60fps depends on the RT settings.

Thanks...ending up grabbing it on Steam so I could return it if needed. It defaulted to RT Ultra setting with DLSS on Auto and I set the res from 1080p to 1440p and it seems to stay in the 40-50fps range, at least in the first area before meeting Jackie. I'm assuming later areas can be more taxing though...or does it stay pretty consistent the whole game? So far, I guess I'm getting better performance than consoles but no HDR.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
performance in 60 fps mode on ps5 was really great....until i reached chapter 2. the moment i left the apartment building and stepped into the city, the game started to stutter. hard. chapter 1, same scene was solid 60. now it feels more like 40ish

Same but more like Micro stuttering then intense framedrop. I saw some microfreeze too when you move between region. But i've seen worse in open world game, i'm sure it could be patch later.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if it's a memory leak or just the new ray-tracing hitting way harder on PC, but what was previously really smooth DLSS quality-based RT settings suddenly starts chugging pretty hard in the downtown areas during an extended play session....though admittedly I'm only on a 3060.

The new builds also definitely feel a bit less OP as 'early on' as I remember, yeah. Cold blood definitely feels pretty nerfed.

I'm curious if the knife-throwing perk tree is actually worth a damn....I imagine you have to hit 'headshots' to make it viable?

Right now I'm already dipping back into stealth revolver + katana or AR for cleanup/if I get spotted.

Is there ever a crafting or upgrade tutorial? What causes me to learn clothing recipes? Disassembling doesn't seem to do it.

IIRC, it's various sources - you can buy (or find on corpses/treasure chest boxes) 'some' blueprints at armor stores, some come from leveling up certain crafting skill perks, and others come exclusively as 'upgrades' of your current signature gear.

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
Thanks...ending up grabbing it on Steam so I could return it if needed. It defaulted to RT Ultra setting with DLSS on Auto and I set the res from 1080p to 1440p and it seems to stay in the 40-50fps range, at least in the first area before meeting Jackie. I'm assuming later areas can be more taxing though...or does it stay pretty consistent the whole game? So far, I guess I'm getting better performance than consoles but no HDR.

Certain area in the open world will be more taxing, especially the crowded ones, but the main story area usually has more stable performance, you can lower the RT shadow or lighting if you're not satisfied with fps performance, cause both RTs are doing the most hit.

RT reflections is a must tho.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno what I wanna do with hacking. Do I want loot or money? I'm not much of a crafter, so I'm pondering.

Hacking can get pretty OP with a combination of 'link all enemies in the area' along with massive DOT/damage spells, though that may have changed a bit with the perk updates, I haven't checked into the hacking tree as much.

You'd maybe want the early-tier hacking perk for money to get the higher-tier/costing cyberdecks more quickly, but once you reach that point you don't need a whole lot else, aside from quickhack crafting items.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I dunno what I wanna do with hacking. Do I want loot or money? I'm not much of a crafter, so I'm pondering.
I used to rush the double money from access points (along with the blue deck in Kabuki market that had a buffer of 7) and it definitely felt worth it over the course of the game, but it sounds like they've eased the economy a lot, so that might not be the case anymore. Getting the legendary hacks from access points instead of having to craft them was always nice though, just need to keep an eye on the small ass notification and/or check regularly so you don't end up not seeing that you pulled a legendary.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I had a problem with ray tracing mode, that the controls felt too sluggish. I went to controls > advanced (under response curve) and set everything to 0. Left response curve at default. Everything immediately felt better. Keeping it on ray tracing mode, plays fine now for me.
I saw this recommended in an earlier post (may have been yours too), seems like it might be worth a threadmark.