• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Oct 25, 2017
So I finished this game a few months ago on the PC, playing on Ultra RTX at 4K (with DLSS). I felt like going back to it, but decided to get it on the PS5 instead. Since getting the console I've had less patience for the extra effort it takes to use the PC on the TV. I've watched all the DF videos and other people's screenshots, so I was prepared for what I was in for.

I'm about 8 hours in so far, mostly doing side gigs and crimes. I haven't completed the heist yet. So far...it's fine? It's clearly a step down from the maxed out PC version but it looks better to me than the footage I watched before starting. It's softer for sure, and crowd density took a big hit. Lower resolution textures all around, but I mostly notice it on the ads. It also doesn't have Dolby Atmos, but that's Sony's fault.

As for bugs, only minor things right now like enemies clipping through the ground, multiple of the same npc walking beside each other. I haven't had any crashes yet. Framerate is good too, feels like a perfectly smooth 60fps.

I know most people are saying to wait until the current gen update is out, but personally I think it's fine now and wouldn't bother waiting.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Went and picked up my $10 copy from Best Buy on Monday, finally got to play enough that I'm free to move about the city. Does the game ever open up, or get busy? There's no actual traffic at times, mostly just some cars sitting around, or a few vehicles driving by at random. The game and City just feels dead when I'm walking out in the streets. ????? All the vendors just stand there in all the shops, there's a few that are doing things like cooking near where I live and it's a bit busier there, but as I branched out to look around the game is really not very interactive and really not what I expected. GTA has more going on. I expected this crazy bustling environment.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
Does the game ever open up, or get busy? There's no actual traffic at times, mostly just some cars sitting around, or a few vehicles driving by at random.

Not really. The funniest/saddest part, though, is at night, you'll see dozens of headlights for oncoming traffic in the distance, but as you get closer, they just sort of vanish, leaving an empty street. Maybe the mythical next gen version will fix that lol.

Oct 26, 2017
Went and picked up my $10 copy from Best Buy on Monday, finally got to play enough that I'm free to move about the city. Does the game ever open up, or get busy? There's no actual traffic at times, mostly just some cars sitting around, or a few vehicles driving by at random. The game and City just feels dead when I'm walking out in the streets. ????? All the vendors just stand there in all the shops, there's a few that are doing things like cooking near where I live and it's a bit busier there, but as I branched out to look around the game is really not very interactive and really not what I expected. GTA has more going on. I expected this crazy bustling environment.
Console? Unfortunately not. They basically culled the city population to hit playable framerates on last gen consoles, and since there's no official version for next gen yet, they unfortunately are stuck with the same shit.
On PC the crowd density is better, but interactivity with non gang member/corpo NPCs is still severely underwhelming and basic. The game shines in the narrative department, characters and story vignettes are top notch, but outside of the combat/hacking gameplay there is very very little systems that make the world feel interactive. Unlike the enemy AI, the rest of the World simply doesn't react to you at all (outside of a bit of cosmetic stuff)

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018

Jevfe1f.jpg

ixppRzC.jpg

8QGxs1P.jpg

Fr4A6A8.jpg

You might want to wait for the next gen patch if you want crowds.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Jevfe1f.jpg

ixppRzC.jpg

8QGxs1P.jpg

Fr4A6A8.jpg

You might want to wait for the next gen patch if you want crowds.

Realized it was running in "performance" mode. Switched to "quality" mode and the number of NPCs and vehicles picked up. Playing on Series X and it runs just fine. Looks noticeably better now too.

It's not super crowded or interactive still, but at least the atmosphere is a little better. I do hope there's a bit of a bump, if not a significant one, with the rerelease.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I'm considering getting this for the Series S since it seems like the patches so far have dealt with some of the game-breaking issues the game had at launch and playing The Ascent has given me a cyberpunk itch. The Series S is also my first next-gen console so it seems like a nice game to see in HD.

The thing is that, for obvious reasons; it's a bit hard to parse opinions regarding the actual game vs. opinions on the myriad of issues it launched with and still has.

I'm not really expecting the incredible emergent world they seem to have promised before launch (I didn't follow the actual marketing and pre-release streams so my expectations in general are pretty much non-existent), but how is the actual game? I kind of dropped The Witcher 3 after a little over the halfway point since it was a bit too long and I just lost interest, so this is for someone who's not really a massive fan of huge RPGs.

Is it comparable to something like GTA?

Oct 26, 2017
I'm considering getting this for the Series S since it seems like the patches so far have dealt with some of the game-breaking issues the game had at launch and playing The Ascent has given me a cyberpunk itch. The Series S is also my first next-gen console so it seems like a nice game to see in HD.

The thing is that, for obvious reasons; it's a bit hard to parse opinions regarding the actual game vs. opinions on the myriad of issues it launched with and still has.

I'm not really expecting the incredible emergent world they seem to have promised before launch (I didn't follow the actual marketing and pre-release streams so my expectations in general are pretty much non-existent), but how is the actual game? I kind of dropped The Witcher 3 after a little over the halfway point since it was a bit too long and I just lost interest, so this is for someone who's not really a massive fan of huge RPGs.

It is absolutely nothing like GTA. You can drive through a city and it's surroundings in various cars, steal cars and do random world events, but that's where similarities to GTA end. It's much closer to the Witcher3, but the main quest is considerably shorter. There's tons of optional content and side quests, and arguably some of the best stories happen on those side quests that grow out of the main quest. The game doesn't allow for the ridiculous OP builds that were possible at launch when a lot of stuff was broken, but you can still make some really powerful character builds, or make a well rounded middle of the road build. It's also now possible to respec your character mid playthrough. Life path option really doesn't matter outside of a few optional quest solutions, but they're fun introductions to Night City.
All in all, it is a good RPG, with amazing characters, stories and world building that is let down by the state it was released in , and all the problems that come with that.
On Series S, the game might feel a bit empty right now due to the old gen optimizations carrying over to the current gen "versions" which will probably be resolved once the proper Next Gen update hits, so do be aware of that.
The main quest with some of the directly related side quests will run you anywhere from 20 to 40 hours. It's much more streamlined and manageable in that regard. If you want to see more, you can easily spend 100+ hours in the game.

Araragi

Dec 7, 2018
10 hours into the game. I hate the commercials on the streets. They are really distracting and make my eyes uncomfortable. Glad we don't have these commercials in really world yet.

Also the UI is not designed for controller.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

Do what I'm doing and wait for the next gen patch, I'm going to use that as a marker for the game being in a good state/enjoyable state. I do understand it's difficult to segregate fact from opinion when it comes to this game.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Finally watched Curio's excellent video essay on Cyberpunk 2077. It really seems more "neonliberal" than any punk. Really appreciated the depth they went into the orientalism of the genre, how other cyberpunk games don't need to play into the eastern hypercapitalist panic (Umurangi Generation, Observer, Cloudpunk, Ghostrunner), the shallow trans representation in the character creator that you can't do much of at all in the actual story or even talk in solidarity to the one trans character in the game, the confusing Matrix-inspired pills and Johnny gender dysphoria but the red pill makes you close to suicide while the film it was a metaphor for oestrogen and for waking up to the reality. Then there's outdated tropes of mentally ill people being baddies (cyber psychos), and prosthetics being seen as evil rather than disability aids like in Observer. Then the more neoliberal politics and edgy liberalism where it's easier to see the end of the world than the end of capitalism. Leftism or post-capitalism is seen as a joke and there is a lack of imagination to see any alternatives to capitalism. Then to continually reference Matrix or other better cyberpunk works which are much more aspirational, but Cyberpunk's version of the Matrix would be you took the red pill and nothing happened because it was just a pill and fuck you.

I'm late to responding but I just found this thread.

In response to "Leftism or post-capitalism is seen as a joke", Isn't Johnny Silverhand a pseudo anti-capitalist anarchist? In one of the gigs with Panam, if you let Johnny speak, he goes on an anti-capitalist tirade and how he is for the working class and the poor. To him Arasaka represents everything that's wrong with Night City. Also aren't cyberpsychos that way because they overloaded their systems with implants? I'm not trying to defend the game (god knows there is very little to defend when it comes to representation).

On a tangential note, I think Panam side story is one of the better written quests in the game. I hope if there is a future CP2077 game (doubtful), it focuses on Panam and her deal with the aldecados.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Pffft Panam could take a bleacher seat, I'm here for the River x V SLICE OF LIFE FARMING SIM DO IT YOU SONS OF B...EACHED WHALES!

Anyway carry on.

They really did River's romance/quest route dirty though. Way too rushed compared to Judy, Panam, or Kerry. >_<

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I'm late to responding but I just found this thread.

In response to "Leftism or post-capitalism is seen as a joke", Isn't Johnny Silverhand a pseudo anti-capitalist anarchist? In one of the gigs with Panam, if you let Johnny speak, he goes on an anti-capitalist tirade and how he is for the working class and the poor. To him Arasaka represents everything that's wrong with Night City. Also aren't cyberpsychos that way because they overloaded their systems with implants? I'm not trying to defend the game (god knows there is very little to defend when it comes to representation).

The video is full of assumptions, misunderstandings and even trivial red-herrings in regards to the game and Mike Pondsmith's CyberPunk as a whole. Johhny is Anti-Capitalist and Anti-corporation, no different to a lot of punk-rock/rock bands of the 70s-90s. I don't know how anyone can say otherwise, he drives that home to the point of terrorism.

Cyber Psychosis even in the earlier pen and paper games was treated as a humanity system. Players have the choice to modify themselves, but every time they do they lose humanity and slowly become a shell of their former selves. The system runs on empathy with every player starting with a pool of empathy. Everytime you install a new piece of hardware, you lose some empathy but can regain it using therapy over a period of time. Cyberpsychosis is not trying to be "derogatory" or "demeaning" to people with actual mental issues, it's merely a blanket term used for people who have lost humanity and considering that most of a human can be fully replaced with machinery in the world, not much of what made them human can remain if they go all out. Cyberpunk as a genre has always dabbled in the philisophical questions of wether or not we remain human as we rely more on technology, Cyberpsychosis is very much a state not unlike today where people are glued to their smartphones, their reliance on technology and chasing the next big thing. It is a warning that over reliance of tech as a whole can make us zombified, emotionless and less likely to respond to human emotions. I mean, you only have to go to Twitter, Facebook and other social sites to see just how deranged and lacking in sympathy people can be.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
The video is full of assumptions, misunderstandings and even trivial red-herrings in regards to the game and Mike Pondsmith's CyberPunk as a whole. Johhny is Anti-Capitalist and Anti-corporation, no different to a lot of punk-rock/rock bands of the 70s-90s. I don't know how anyone can say otherwise, he drives that home to the point of terrorism.

Cyber Psychosis even in the earlier pen and paper games was treated as a humanity system. Players have the choice to modify themselves, but every time they do they lose humanity and slowly become a shell of their former selves. The system runs on empathy with every player starting with a pool of empathy. Everytime you install a new piece of hardware, you lose some empathy but can regain it using therapy over a period of time. Cyberpsychosis is not trying to be "derogatory" or "demeaning" to people with actual mental issues, it's merely a blanket term used for people who have lost humanity and considering that most of a human can be fully replaced with machinery in the world, not much of what made them human can remain if they go all out. Cyberpunk as a genre has always dabbled in the philisophical questions of wether or not we remain human as we rely more on technology, Cyberpsychosis is very much a state not unlike today where people are glued to their smartphones, their reliance on technology and chasing the next big thing. It is a warning that over reliance of tech as a whole can make us zombified, emotionless and less likely to respond to human emotions. I mean, you only have to go to Twitter, Facebook and other social sites to see just how deranged and lacking in sympathy people can be.
That's all well and good but in the game Cyberpsychosis amounts to repetitive bounty hunt missions where you have to subdue (shoot) exploited mentally ill people for money. The game doesn't have anything interesting to say about any of it, which is the criticism being levelled in that video.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
That's all well and good but in the game Cyberpsychosis amounts to repetitive bounty hunt missions where you have to subdue (shoot) exploited mentally ill people for money. The game doesn't have anything interesting to say about any of it, which is the criticism being levelled in that video.

Ok, but should it? This isn't a downplaying statement. The game sets out that on more than one point, the cyberpsychos literally slaughter dozens of people and are incapacitated unfortunately in a way that they can be brought down. Some of them are wearing armour or tank vests and basically gunning people down. Watch any police siege video, or watch 90% of other games out there and what do you know? Violence is unfortunately met with violence, but where is the mention of the tasers and other ways that it can be done? Oh wait, that doesn't cater to the narrative, so let's just show the shooty parts because editing is the tool of the fool to show the blind what they want to see. Even though the game does give less-than-lethal options. Regina, your contact in Cyberpunk to deal with these cases, tasks you to take them down without killing, but she was signed up by the police to take them down reguardless of the cost. She believes that they can all be treated, and if anyone bothers to read the text messages and updates she sends, she does in fact take them to therapy and tries to get them in a better state of mind. Some of the missions even go into what sparked their rage or problems. Such as the TV actor who was fitted with implants intentionally to set her off and make her attack her sister for a reality TV show, the man who was recluse and went mad because his own defence systems killed his family who came to check up on him, the lab rat and the ex-merc who had his insurance taken off him and his meds to suppress his psychosis removed. These are only from the top of my head and yet I remember the conversations and events and Regina was the only cop in town willing to give them a chance and help them. In many of the conversations that come back she mentions that they're being helped. Yes, you get money for it, but it was money that was passed down for helping, not killing. Last I checked if you do kill Regina gets upset.

The subjective context of this is that there are people out there willing to give them a chance, and yet this does not get mentioned, their stories don't get mentioned, it's just binary "Game bad, beep boop I'll hide the truth to mould my own even though the game literally spells it out". Typical fucking YouTube lies to cater to the crowd.

Last I checked there were games like GTA and Red-Dead that also say little about bounties. I can't recall a time where John Marston, Arthur Morgan or Franklin Clinton were sat down to discuss the ramifications of their actions when they went bounty hunting and assassinating. No mention of family issues or other dealings, nope just straight up "Kill this dude because bad" with no option to deviate from this. RDR 2 has you capturing bounties, but not diving in past "Here's the bounty Sherrif" and in one instance I remember they just flat out slaughter a man who gets loose. Trying to find the option to take them in alive for Frankstons Assassination missions OH WAIT THERE IS NONE AND NO ONE MADE A VIDEO ABOUT IT.

But no one makes a fucking video about that. No no no. Just like DICE with BFV, people suddenly have all these magical standards and ideals in which they want to enforce in how things should be done according to them, while simultaneously ignoring other popular and well known cases. CyberPunk and CDPR are the newest "Standards" gamer punching bag where something wrong happened, and now everything is wrong and needs to be picked, chewed and torn apart, because that's topical and hip now.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, but should it? This isn't a downplaying statement. The game sets out that on more than one point, the cyberpsychos literally slaughter dozens of people and are incapacitated unfortunately in a way that they can be brought down. Some of them are wearing armour or tank vests and basically gunning people down. Watch any police siege video, or watch 90% of other games out there and what do you know? Violence is unfortunately met with violence, but where is the mention of the tasers and other ways that it can be done? Oh wait, that doesn't cater to the narrative, so let's just show the shooty parts because editing is the tool of the fool to show the blind what they want to see. Even though the game does give less-than-lethal options. Regina, your contact in Cyberpunk to deal with these cases, tasks you to take them down without killing, but she was signed up by the police to take them down reguardless of the cost. She believes that they can all be treated, and if anyone bothers to read the text messages and updates she sends, she does in fact take them to therapy and tries to get them in a better state of mind. Some of the missions even go into what sparked their rage or problems. Such as the TV actor who was fitted with implants intentionally to set her off and make her attack her sister for a reality TV show, the man who was recluse and went mad because his own defence systems killed his family who came to check up on him, the lab rat and the ex-merc who had his insurance taken off him and his meds to suppress his psychosis removed. These are only from the top of my head and yet I remember the conversations and events and Regina was the only cop in town willing to give them a chance and help them. In many of the conversations that come back she mentions that they're being helped. Yes, you get money for it, but it was money that was passed down for helping, not killing. Last I checked if you do kill Regina gets upset.

The subjective context of this is that there are people out there willing to give them a chance, and yet this does not get mentioned, their stories don't get mentioned, it's just binary "Game bad, beep boop I'll hide the truth to mould my own even though the game literally spells it out". Typical fucking YouTube lies to cater to the crowd.

Last I checked there were games like GTA and Red-Dead that also say little about bounties. I can't recall a time where John Marston, Arthur Morgan or Franklin Clinton were sat down to discuss the ramifications of their actions when they went bounty hunting and assassinating. No mention of family issues or other dealings, nope just straight up "Kill this dude because bad" with no option to deviate from this. RDR 2 has you capturing bounties, but not diving in past "Here's the bounty Sherrif" and in one instance I remember they just flat out slaughter a man who gets loose. Trying to find the option to take them in alive for Frankstons Assassination missions OH WAIT THERE IS NONE AND NO ONE MADE A VIDEO ABOUT IT.

But no one makes a fucking video about that. No no no. Just like DICE with BFV, people suddenly have all these magical standards and ideals in which they want to enforce in how things should be done according to them, while simultaneously ignoring other popular and well known cases. CyberPunk and CDPR are the newest "Standards" gamer punching bag where something wrong happened, and now everything is wrong and needs to be picked, chewed and torn apart, because that's topical and hip now.
Jesus Christ how long you been waiting to let this loose.

It definitely seems like you have it out for people who criticise this game so I'm not gonna engage with you further on this topic.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Jesus Christ how long you been waiting to let this loose.

It definitely seems like you have it out for people who criticise this game so I'm not gonna engage with you further on this topic.

No, this isn't the case. It's about double standards, expectations and ideals. I don't have it in for people who criticise the game, I have it in for people who have to lie and falsify information to push an agenda. I got out of the game industry for this very reason. Nothing but people telling others how games need to be made, how they don't live up to individual expectations and no one making comparisons to what has already been made. It's always always always ignore one thing for another.

I don't care that you don't respond. I care about people not being bullshit artists and agenda pushers There was an absolute failure to
- Discuss Regina's role in stopping the police from outright killing Cyberpsychos and how she hired V to make sure they were not killed with force
- Discussing that Cyberpsychosis is not curable at this point, but potentially treatable and Regina needs patients to be able to test this. At the end of the mission when everything is wrapped up she explicitly states that they all survived and are getting the necessary help
- You can't stop a tank with a tranq gun, you can't stop someone with synthetic lungs with gas and you can't just say that the only option was shooting/guns/killing
- No in depth discussion about the individual cases and their problems which drove them to cyberpsychosis. Like the ones that were suicidal.
- Equating Cyberpsychosis to general psychosis, a very binary and simplified connection to real world issues in a fictional game with no proper ties, references or equative articles that can match the fictional game to the real world.
- Failure to make the same connections to other games that don't handle this at all, in the same way or in any real way.
- Discuss that YouTubers are out to rile people up, get them to move on and agree with their opinion to get people talking, talking people means money and profits. Even if they have to lie to make a point, or skip over details expecting people to not bother looking them up
- Discuss how 1 dimensional the persons views are and how little they know about the CyberPunk genre as a whole or how they've had decades to discuss the intracacies of the genre and particularly MP's version of CP, which last I checked was his own and no one elses and the ideals people enforce onto them with little to no discussion about how they came to that vision and version of this genre.

Everyone has an agenda and everyone wants to be right, even at the expense of reality.

Last edited:

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
Well, well, well. Some actual good news. These are the lead developers of WolvenKit, the Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk mod tools that everyone uses.

From the Cyberpunk modding Discord:

Traderain — Today at 3:33 AM
Hey @everyone ,
we are extremely pleased to announce that @Blumster, @Nightmarea, @rfuzzo and I will be joining CDPR under my and @Nightmarea's company (https://yigsoft.dev/). We will be working on various projects related to the Cyberpunk 2077 backend and the game's modding support.

We are really excited for this and we really hope we can help to bring Cyberpunk 2077 to the next level!

Currently modding Cyberpunk is still quite difficult. As an example, up until very recently it wasn't possible to change the length of any audio in the game (radio, dialogue) so you could either swap dialog lines with other existing dialog, or decode and reencode the audio files, but they clip had to be exactly the same length in game. I'm not even sure you can edit the content in a subtitle right now... if you can it probably requires a lot of tweaks.

Oct 26, 2017
I guess if you ignore the entire context in the brief and debrief. Hell the game goes out of its way to give nuance to each person's circumstances.
It even calls the term psychos into question by examining each persons background and history.
It is made clear that these people can be helped, but it's not lucrative to do so. The Motoko case in particular highlights how she was written off as sunken cost by Militech and her own company sent in to kill her.
You are given a choice to help them before they're being killed by Maxtac or one of the corpos. And you're being reminded each time that bringing them in alive is the better option.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I guess if you ignore the entire context in the brief and debrief. Hell the game goes out of its way to give nuance to each person's circumstances.
It even calls the term psychos into question by examining each persons background and history.
It is made clear that these people can be helped, but it's not lucrative to do so. The Motoko case in particular highlights how she was written off as sunken cost by Militech and her own company sent in to kill her.
You are given a choice to help them before they're being killed by Maxtac or one of the corpos. And you're being reminded each time that bringing them in alive is the better option.

I'm glad there are other people here that actually read things and understand the contexts of the game. Like I said before, there is more to the cases than "V is bad for bringing them in and profiting off mentally unstable people" which is the knee-jerk reaction to the situation. I often wonder if people actually played the game or are just repeating catch points without context.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone has an agenda and everyone wants to be right, even at the expense of reality.

I mean you said it.

You're acting like that video was a hit piece instead of an incredibly well-reasoned, thoughtful response to the game as a whole. Describing that Curio video like this: "YouTubers are out to rile people up, get them to move on and agree with their opinion to get people talking, talking people means money and profits. Even if they have to lie to make a point, or skip over details expecting people to not bother looking them up" tells me all I need to know about where you're coming from.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I mean you said it.

You're acting like that video was a hit piece instead of an incredibly well-reasoned, thoughtful response to the game as a whole. Describing that Curio video like this: "YouTubers are out to rile people up, get them to move on and agree with their opinion to get people talking, talking people means money and profits. Even if they have to lie to make a point, or skip over details expecting people to not bother looking them up" tells me all I need to know about where you're coming from.

Sure, and your inability to back up anything that you are talking about, skipping over and regurgitating talking points that are outright untrue, poorly researched and are used in a way that comes off as intellectually dishonest shows me the same about your stance. You're only willing to talk about set points and not the underlying information that is presented that myself and others understood. Even Boris called you out on it. You're failing to show you understand the context, and willfully ignorant of the facts just like Curio for the sake of knee-jerk association and social arguments that are muddy at best.

Now what?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, and your inability to back up anything that you are talking about, skipping over and regurgitating talking points that are outright untrue, poorly researched and are used in a way that comes off as intellectually dishonest shows me the same about your stance. You're only willing to talk about set points and not the underlying information that is presented that myself and others understood. Even Boris called you out on it. You're failing to show you understand the context, and willfully ignorant of the facts just like Curio for the sake of knee-jerk association and social arguments that are muddy at best.

Now what?

"Now what?" what are you, twelve? Why the fuck would I want to waste my energy discussing this with you when you conduct yourself like this?

All I did in the first instance was state my opinion, which happens to be in common with the one eloquently stated in the video we're talking about. You're the one who's been ranting like a child paragraph after paragraph like a YouTuber ran over your dog or something.

I'm not about to jump back into debating this game all these months later by looking into these boring side activities (not even worthy of being called side quests) in order to better explain where I'm coming from, especially when you're ending your posts with shit like "now what?"

If you think these 100% filler missions handled their subject matter perfectly then good for you, I disagree and I'm afraid you're just gonna have to live with that.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
"Now what?" what are you, twelve? Why the fuck would I want to waste my energy discussing this with you when you conduct yourself like this?

All I did in the first instance was state my opinion, which happens to be in common with the one eloquently stated in the video we're talking about. You're the one who's been ranting like a child paragraph after paragraph like a YouTuber ran over your dog or something.

I'm not about to jump back into debating this game all these months later by looking into these boring side activities (not even worthy of being called side quests) in order to better explain where I'm coming from, especially when you're ending your posts with shit like "now what?"

If you think these 100% filler missions handled their subject matter perfectly then good for you, I disagree and I'm afraid you're just gonna have to live with that.

It's everything but the facts isn't it? You seem to hyper focus on everything else but what I was talking about. Telling me I have a vendetta against a YouTuber who "ran over my dog" to try and make a key jiggling emotional response. The video they made is poor, doesn't give real factual statements, skips information and fails to make real connections. Eloquent like a brick.

You said you weren't going to talk to me, but you're still here. Which is why I am being blunt now. You failed to back up anything you said with factual statements and instead of elaborating, you go off on a tangent about something else other than the facts. It's not my fault you did not read some briefs, listen to conversations or look at actual information presented. I don't like WWE, DragonBall Z and lots of other things but I don't hang around their forums saying stuff like "It's just grown men grunting at each other, it's stupid".

Which part are you going to pick out next instead of backing up your statements and the original context?

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
not being as interactive or reactive is one of the reasons i really liked the game

i dreaded the game when hearing what the PR was saying,

because i know myself and i could get lost for hours and hours, and days and days.

so when the game came out and it is not actually that massive open world with a living city they have saying for years, i was actually relieved.

i still invested like 80 hours in the game nonetheless.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to come from unbiased perspective here, but at no point during my Cyber Psycho missions I felt I was just punching down on people with mental issues. Cyber Psychos are not akin to homeless people or something like that. Like I said, it's people becoming greedy for cyber implants and trying to become cyborgs pretty much. The closest I could come up with are the Splicers from BioShock.

Splicers are inhabitants of Rapture which have overused Plasmids and essentially have become rabid, delusional and/or homicidal. They come in many different varieties, each of which has a different style of attack, and different abilities.

Those are essentially Cyber Psychos, just replace Plasmids with cyber implants. I dont seem to recall controversy over Splicers in BioShock.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to come from unbiased perspective here, but at no point during my Cyber Psycho missions I felt I was just punching down on people with mental issues. Cyber Psychos are not akin to homeless people or something like that. Like I said, it's people becoming greedy for cyber implants and trying to become cyborgs pretty much. The closest I could come up with are the Splicers from BioShock.

Splicers are inhabitants of Rapture which have overused Plasmids and essentially have become rabid, delusional and/or homicidal. They come in many different varieties, each of which has a different style of attack, and different abilities.

Those are essentially Cyber Psychos, just replace Plasmids with cyber implants. I dont seem to recall controversy over Splicers in BioShock.

There's no controversy here, critiquing particular elements of a game doesn't equate to controversy.

A couple of things on the Bioshock comparison, firstly it came out thirteen years ago, the conversations around games and the depiction of drug addiction (and fictional parallels of drug addiction) have come a long way since then. Secondly, I'm sure people did write (or have since written) about how slaughtering endless waves of splicers is problematic. Even if they hadn't, just because an issue wasn't discussed in 2007 doesn't mean it's off the table forever.

There seems to be some confusion about what exactly the issue is here. It's not so much that the CP2077 does nothing to humanise these Cyber Psychos, but that what is there isn't deep enough and the purpose these activities serve within the game isn't important enough to justify the bad vibes.

It's not "this is abhorrent and should never have graced a video game and the game should be deleted forever" and more "this wasn't handled perfectly and could've been a lot more nuanced and held more importance to the central narrative of the story".

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
User Banned (3 days): Antagonizing members over a multiple posts.
Nothing worse than imperfect people asking others for perfection.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Not sure what is happening in here, but everyone needs to chill. Thanks, and don't make me come back here plz

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody playing on a 3080 and 1440p? What are your optimized settings?
Use Digital Foundry's optimized settings

"Standard Optimised Settings

Contact Shadows: On
Improved Facial Lighting Geometry: On
Local Shadow Mesh Quality: High
Local Shadow Quality High
Cascaded Shadows Range: High
Cascaded Shadows Resolution: Medium
Distant Shadows Resolution: High
Volumetric Fog Resolution: 1080p Ultra, 1440p High, 4K Medium
Volumetric Cloud Quality: Medium
Max Dynamic Decals: Ultra
Screen Space Reflections Quality: Low but High if you find the amount of grain distracting.
Subsurface Scattering Quality: High
Ambient Occlusion: Low (there is barely a difference)
Colour Precision: Medium
Mirror Quality: 1080p High. 1440p High, 4K Medium
Level of Detail: High

Recommended Ray Tracing Settings

Ray Traced Reflections: On
Ray Traced Shadows: Off
Ray Traced Lighting: Medium
If that is not enough for you, Turn off reflections - the RT lighting is more important, on balance.

Image Quality Recommendations: 1080p DLSS Quality, 1440p, DLSS Balanced, 4K, DLSS Performance"

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
www.videogameschronicle.com

Cyberpunk’s developer can’t guarantee next-gen versions will make it out this year | VGC

CD Projekt points to “lessons learned during the past year” when asked about release timing…

As with Cyberpunk 2077, our goal is to release that game still in late 2021. However, similarly, the development process is ongoing, and we cannot be absolutely dead certain that the release schedule will not change. But for the time being, we definitely are aiming with both titles for late 2021 and I don't want to be more specific at this moment in time.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say after tabling this game for a year and lowering my expectations to thinking this was nothing more than a trash heap I am sort of floored by how much I'm enjoying it so far.

Finally got a new rig with a 3 series card and can enjoy this game with RT and appropriate settings and I just find the city, the atmosphere, the characters, the art, the music, and the chaos of it all to be super compelling. The story is engaging and the dialogue and associated animations during interactions are all so well done. It feels like a completely different experience than playing it on the PS5 when it released (which felt like a ghost town and lacking in terms of immersion). Maybe the patches have helped smooth things out for someone who didn't play for more than a couple hours at launch.

I'm not someone who gets enjoyment out of micro-interactions with the open world, or someone who attempts to "break" or even play with the open world systems in a way that pushes the AI or various processes to a limit or what have you, so maybe my playstyle where I focus mostly on quests is helping me avoid the underbelly of where I guess this game "falls apart"?

Not sure, all I can say is I'm sort of blown away by how much fun I'm having with it. Meeting Placide and being introduced to Pacifica was awesome.

Maybe I'm crazy and just blinded by RT and being able to experience the visuals with all the bells and whistles.

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for those DF specs. Is there any must have graphical improvement mods out for this game?
There's a mod that automatically changes the graphical settings when switching to Photomode. You'll need the Cyber engine tweak mod for that though.
Other than that it's all just performance destroying stuff like increasing LOD distance and stuff like that.

Wasn't worth the performance hit for me.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not someone who gets enjoyment out of micro-interactions with the open world, or someone who attempts to "break" or even play with the open world systems in a way that pushes the AI or various processes to a limit or what have you, so maybe my playstyle where I focus mostly on quests is helping me avoid the underbelly of where I guess this game "falls apart"?
A huge portion of the disdain for the game comes from clickfarming with police and traffic AI that isn't relevant for 99.5% of the game experience. Yeah, the police system is broken, but you can easily play through the entire thing without touching it once, even if you aren't deliberately avoiding it. There are videos with millions of views complaining about how if you follow an NPC around for 45 minutes they just walk in a circle... ...but who actually gives a shit? It doesn't matter who 'actually gave a shit', it hit critical meme mass. Car doors opening simultaneously on the freeway overrode any actual discussion.

And the reason that I'm kind of bent out of shape about it is because the game has actual absolutely ludicrous insane problems that people didn't talk about because they were busy making comparisons between it and LEGO Licensed City Whatever Traffic AI. But like, there's an ENTIRE BOSS FIGHT just straight up cut out of the prologue. Not 'removed' in the sense that we typically understand with games and even movies, where content gets moved, reworked, and cut all the time (see: Infinity War trailers), but like, in the sense of, "We're keeping everything about this boss fight and around this boss fight in the game but instead of having a boss fight we're just gonna cut to black". And I don't want to get spoilery on you, but the deliberate-and-also-unintentional ambiguity that that creates has huge implications down the line not just narratively, but in terms of influencing your decisions as a player. And there's an extremely significant amount of stuff like that throughout the game, where you can tell they're spreading shit thin to where it doesn't actually belong but they kind of managed to make it fit in a pinch.

And people are out there talking about a pedestrian with a walking route that loops every 30 minutes destroying the game for them

Also, for the record, I'm 100% right on the line between really liking the game and loving it. It'd just be nice if the horseshit aspects of the conversation around it never existed.

Oct 26, 2017
A huge portion of the disdain for the game comes from clickfarming with police and traffic AI that isn't relevant for 99.5% of the game experience. Yeah, the police system is broken, but you can easily play through the entire thing without touching it once, even if you aren't deliberately avoiding it. There are videos with millions of views complaining about how if you follow an NPC around for 45 minutes they just walk in a circle... ...but who actually gives a shit? It doesn't matter who 'actually gave a shit', it hit critical meme mass. Car doors opening simultaneously on the freeway overrode any actual discussion.

And the reason that I'm kind of bent out of shape about it is because the game has actual absolutely ludicrous insane problems that people didn't talk about because they were busy making comparisons between it and LEGO Licensed City Whatever Traffic AI. But like, there's an ENTIRE BOSS FIGHT just straight up cut out of the prologue. Not 'removed' in the sense that we typically understand with games and even movies, where content gets moved, reworked, and cut all the time (see: Infinity War trailers), but like, in the sense of, "We're keeping everything about this boss fight and around this boss fight in the game but instead of having a boss fight we're just gonna cut to black". And I don't want to get spoilery on you, but the deliberate-and-also-unintentional ambiguity that that creates has huge implications down the line not just narratively, but in terms of influencing your decisions as a player. And there's an extremely significant amount of stuff like that throughout the game, where you can tell they're spreading shit thin to where it doesn't actually belong but they kind of managed to make it fit in a pinch.

And people are out there talking about a pedestrian with a walking route that loops every 30 minutes destroying the game for them

Also, for the record, I'm 100% right on the line between really liking the game and loving it. It'd just be nice if the horseshit aspects of the conversation around it never existed.
What Boss Fight are you alluding to?
Smasher? Dexter? Can't for the life of me figure out where in the prologue except for the Johnny Silverhand portions a Bossfight would be missing.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK

I tend to agree about the traffic/AI/Police systems being largely irrelevant, but they also kind of brought that criticism on themselves. If you're going to market the game as if it were GTA: 2077, people are probably going to be expecting GTA: 2077.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
What Boss Fight are you alluding to?
Smasher? Dexter? Can't for the life of me figure out where in the prologue except for the Johnny Silverhand portions a Bossfight would be missing.
Yeah, the
Smasher not-fight. He jumps down, you're lying flat on your back in front of him, it cuts to black, then you're suddenly on the roof trying to catch the helicopter.

This totally threw me because I figured that they had cut around some schiesty shit that happened, like in a heist movie or something. Maybe Johnny cut a deal to get out, or Rogue was playing both sides, or something like that. I was expecting Rogue to betray me the entire game, because I couldn't imagine that they would have such a weird, hard cut without it being some sort of reveal later on. And it even felt confirmed a few times throughout the game when they allude to the 'why' and the 'how' of Rogue still being alive and free and not hunted down by Arasaka all those years later. But no, it was just the weirdest, hardest cut in the history of videogames. They played it completely straight.

Have you ever seen a game skip a scene like that? That'd be like... cutting around giving the Covenant their bomb back in Halo 2. They didn't even have you run from him. To me at least, it's clear that there's supposed to be a bossfight there.

You get to the prologue, and all the sudden you're doing crazy high damage numbers as Super Elite Badass Johnny Silverhand, twirling your revolver as you casually one-shot waves of guards. Then Adam Smasher shows up, and absolutely destroys you. And then as the final boss fight of the game, you're back to fighting Smasher, except this time it's an even stronger, more cybernetic (95% cybernetic instead of 60% cybernetic IIRC?) version of him. And you destroy him. It's a straight up power level step ladder.

Or it would've been -- but in the game it's just huge boss fight shaped hole.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the
Smasher not-fight. He jumps down, you're lying flat on your back in front of him, it cuts to black, then you're suddenly on the roof trying to catch the helicopter.

This totally threw me because I figured that they had cut around some schiesty shit that happened, like in a heist movie or something. Maybe Johnny cut a deal to get out, or Rogue was playing both sides, or something like that. I was expecting Rogue to betray me the entire game, because I couldn't imagine that they would have such a weird, hard cut without it being some sort of reveal later on. And it even felt confirmed a few times throughout the game when they allude to the 'why' and the 'how' of Rogue still being alive and free and not hunted down by Arasaka all those years later. But no, it was just the weirdest, hardest cut in the history of videogames. They played it completely straight.

Have you ever seen a game skip a scene like that? That'd be like... cutting around giving the Covenant their bomb back in Halo 2. They didn't even have you run from him. To me at least, it's clear that there's supposed to be a bossfight there.

You get to the prologue, and all the sudden you're doing crazy high damage numbers as Super Elite Badass Johnny Silverhand, twirling your revolver as you casually one-shot waves of guards. Then Adam Smasher shows up, and absolutely destroys you. And then as the final boss fight of the game, you're back to fighting Smasher, except this time it's an even stronger, more cybernetic (95% cybernetic instead of 60% cybernetic IIRC?) version of him. And you destroy him. It's a straight up power level step ladder.

Or it would've been -- but in the game it's just huge boss fight shaped hole.
Huh. Never viewed it that way to be honest. It was congruent with the style of that segment.
The Johnny Silverhand segments all cut at the weirdest places. I suspect it's done to portray the fragmented nature of the construct. Silverhand is dead after all, and what's left in Mikoshi and on the Shard is merely a digital retelling of his consciousness. It's functionally complete enough to form his personality but has holes and focuses on specific stuff. Kind of like Jackie's construct in Mikoshi which is just a sliver of his personality on loop.

Rogue feels genuinely guilty about leaving Johnny behind. At least that's how I read her behaviour.
Beaides Silverhand construct would've alluded to something not being right about this. If there was a cut boss fight I suspect it was down to time constraints just like most of the weird omissions in the game.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Cyberpunk Patch 1.31 out now

Please note that the issues listed below did not affect all players.

Gameplay

• Fixed an issue where after upgrading an item with a quest tag, the base version of said item wasn't removed from the inventory.
  • Fixed an issue where weapon reload speed perks slowed down reload time.
  • Corrected the height of the charged jump.
  • Adjusted enemies' stealth detection speed dependent on game difficulty.
  • V will no longer get stuck in falling animation when crashing a motorbike while also having "The Rock" perk.

Quests & Open World

Disasterpiece
  • Fixed an issue where Judy didn't spawn in her van on Jig-Jig Street.
These Boots Are Made for Walkin'
  • Fixed an issue where Thorton Galena "Rattler" didn't spawn in the quest area.
  • Thorton Galena "Rattler" will no longer become invulnerable after the quest is completed.
Beat on the Brat
  • Fixed an issue where the quest could reactivate with the objective "Go to the final fight" on saves made on game version 1.22.
With a Little Help from My Friends
  • Fixed an issue where the objective "Wait for the nomads" could persist on the screen long after player's arrival at the junction.
  • Fixed an issue where it wasn't possible to interact with the nomads to discuss the plan.
The Nomad
  • Fixed an issue where player's car could get stuck between a blockade and a guardrail, preventing them from returning to the car and blocking progress.

Visual

• Fixed an issue where roads after rain did not look wet, which was the result of ongoing work on the Wet Surfaces System. In 1.31 wet surfaces should look more detailed than they did even before the issue occurred.
  • Removed hair and/or eyebrows in cases where they were set to "off" in earlier game versions.
  • Fixed an issue where shooting with a Tech weapon caused a momentary blinding light.
  • With a Little Help from My Friends — fixed an issue where Carol was missing her tablet or sitting in the air during a scene.
UI

• Returned missing descriptions in Overheat and Short Circuit quickhack tooltips.
  • Returned missing descriptions for Backpacker, Resist!, Osmosis and Footloose clothing mods.
Miscellaneous

• Fixed an issue where players couldn't claim in-game Registration Rewards due to the error: "A network error has occurred. Please try again later".

Console-specific

• [PlayStation] GPU memory optimization.

Oct 26, 2017
.1 patches and hotfixes tend to be smaller and focused on immediate things that people have brought up when the previous patch was released or missed the patch release deadline.
True. I think I'm going to restart my Corpo Rat playthrough after a few more patches. The game already worked great for me all this time (lucked out) but since they're constantly shifting around stats and equipment levels I'd rather wait for a bit. Besides I am currently catching up on games I missed like Metro Exodus (another game that has a miryad of weird visual bugs and questionable colission detection. But man it has me hooked. Their full body awareness in First Person is similarly ambitious to Cyberpunk. I love games that go for a more grounded presence. I just wish Cyberpunk had opted to use a separate 3D Model for the shadows to avoid the goofy looking shadow when aiming.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017

To beat a dead horse, I'll admit I'll always be ticked off that CDPR is now forced to 'fix' a game that 'can't' be fixed because of their own silly hype cycle... >_<

The biggest problems with Cyberpunk are INGRAINED. Design, implementation. You know what'll fix those? A SECOND Cyberpunk. All this time spent on trying to fix this and all its multitude of glitches is like trying to remove New Vegas of all of its janky and game breaking glitches instead of giving us some of the best WRPG expansions of its era at the time. I got more crashes in Watch Dogs Legion for pete's sake.

I was [maybe still am] looking forward to what CDPR had next in store for Cyberpunk but the trainwreck that was their last gen launch completely muddled that conversation.

Cyberpunk has bigger problems than pop in textures. It's now 'playable' which is the most important thing. The thing is, it'll forever be immensely imperfect, it will never be in an adamantly 'acceptable' state in a reasonable time frame, and that won't go away with just a few months of patching. But because of the expectation they have set for their game, being a AAA GTA contending large-scale open world juggernaut, now everyone will not take anything lesser for an answer. They (the devs and their marketing push) kind of asked for it. So here we are.

All I want is more Cyberpunk. 😑

EDIT: Anyway samey monthly rant over. Carry on. :p

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I started dipping my feet into modding the game and I kind of feel like the wolvenkit is only.showing a fraction of the games files. (Wanted to try some music swaps) it definitely doesn't show all the archives, or I'm just too inexperienced to look for them haha.

Just went with the command line interface to try and bam... Now I can try and inject my own Soundfiles. Wish me luck.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Here it is, after nearly a year of stalling ('cause I forgot I was supposed to upload this), my

favorite moment in Cyberpunk..! ^^'

(First [and so far only] playthrough.)

**MID-GAME SPOILERS**

The soundtrack remains sublime!! *_*

Last edited: