• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
What's the current state of the game on PC? I just built a new machine and I'm considering jumping in soon. Are there still lots of bugs? Are there potentially more big patches coming that would be worth waiting for?
The bugs that were there are still mostly there, but it was never as bad on PC as it was on consoles. It's definitely really buggy, but on next gen consoles/PCs, that meant more like a bethesda style jank fest than the literally unplayable it was on last gen consoles

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I definitely noticed some gigs changing to livable areas after completion.

One thing I recently noticed is how differently two areas treat their audience when it comes to branding products. Take for example NiiCola. In the more lower class areas, the targeted advertising is more brash, sexualised and "in your face" about how it is being sold, whereas in the Corporate/Rich areas the NiiCola ads are toned down to be more civilised.

It goes to show the underlying classism that is on display in the game, corporations are specific about targeting a certain demographic, basically using near condescending manipulation towards the lower class treating them as easily excited and sexed up imbeciles while they strut around in lavish sophistication and yet they're the same product.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Call me cynical, but I I think the only reason it's back on PSN is because Sony feel enough time has passed that no one gives a shit about the game.

The game was removed on the 17th (18th?) of December. I don't think it's a coincidence that it has been almost exactly 6 months to the day since then.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Call me cynical, but I I think the only reason it's back on PSN is because Sony feel enough time has passed that no one gives a shit about the game.

The game was removed on the 17th (18th?) of December. I don't think it's a coincidence that it has been almost exactly 6 months to the day since then.
Seems like it, they even say in that tweet it isn't fixed on base PS4.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Seems like it, they even say in that tweet it isn't fixed on base PS4.
It basically confirmed for me that it wasn't really about the performance issues (considering the performance on base consoles is still very much bad, and probably always will be) but more mostly Sony being annoyed at CDPR for the refunds thing. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it, but if it was really was the performance - chalk another point up to corporations with zero shits following through on their apparent convictions.

A giant corporation that made hundreds of millions off the back of a game with transphobic elements and marketing, matching up to £10,000 in a donation stream that highlights said game? No, not really lol.
Agreed, super underwhelmed - it's honestly kind of insulting how much of a pittance of what was made off the back of a deeply problematic game is going back into doing some good. I almost laughed when I read it and did the currency conversion, but I was mostly just sad.
I hope they're going to donate a bigger chunk separately, and it's not just the matching - not like that would be a magical sin eraser, but it would be something, rather than this pile of whelm.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Not sure if I should wait even more or just buy it once I'm done with Ratchet. Kinda tempted to finally play it.

Dont bother imo ..... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the game is still running an "upscaled" ps4 pro version ..... I'd hold out until the proper next gen version hits so at least that way you'll get the best experience possible on stronger hardware than whatever bandaid they applied just to get the ps5 version upto sony's standard so it could come back to the store.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope some of y'all aren't waiting for it to be "fixed" on the original ps4, it's never going to happen.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I put about 14 hours into the game on ps5 when it came out and decided to wait until fixes were done. Had it crash quite a bit and a lot of smaller bugs that became quite annoying.

At this point, I'm probably gonna just wait until the next gen patches come out before going back and starting again. It's clear the game will never become what it was promised to be but if the fixes can be done and the visuals are more in line with the pc release that will be enough to go back.

Oct 30, 2017
Physical copies are super cheap at the moment. It won't reach the same heights as something like No Man's Sky in terms of fixes, but I imagine once the next-gen patch hits later in the year, copies will increase again. I'd snag it and shelve it honestly.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Base last gen consoles appear to almost completely get rid of pedestrians and vehicles to hit the 30 fps, making it a ghost town. I guess at least it's stable...

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Base last gen consoles appear to almost completely get rid of pedestrians and vehicles to hit the 30 fps, making it a ghost town. I guess at least it's stable...

Oh no... lmao! This fucking game.

You know what they could have done instead? Just push a patch that deletes the game from the console. There, super stable and that crash graph is down to zero. Success! :p

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

"Most of the cars and pedestrians are gone, even on new gen systems"

giphy.gif

Agreed, super underwhelmed - it's honestly kind of insulting how much of a pittance of what was made off the back of a deeply problematic game is going back into doing some good. I almost laughed when I read it and did the currency conversion, but I was mostly just sad.
I hope they're going to donate a bigger chunk separately, and it's not just the matching - not like that would be a magical sin eraser, but it would be something, rather than this pile of whelm.
Pretty much lol.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020

Night City already felt like a ghost town on base consoles. On Xbox One you barely saw any cars or npcs on the street and it still chugged between 20-23fps, dropping to like 15fps during combat.

At this point they'll have to get rid of entire fucking buildings to hit "30fps" lol.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Removing most of the cars and pedestrians from PS5 and Xbox Series consoles is super odd lol.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Well new gens are simply running the games in BC mode so without the next gen patches they will essentially be working like better PS4 Pros/XBSX.
Ahh, yeh, that is true. I know the next gen versions are on the timeline but it's kind of crazy how people picking this up on current gen systems are having such drastic reductions applied to them ~ makes you question whether it should have been put on them when they're being hit so heavily as a consequence. Doesn't this mean anyone who has been playing on XSS/XSX will suddenly have their Night City updated to a dead city in comparison, after installing the latest patch?

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ahh, yeh, that is true. I know the next gen versions are on the timeline but it's kind of crazy how people picking this up on current gen systems are having such drastic reductions applied to them ~ makes you question whether it should have been put on them when they're being hit so heavily as a consequence. Doesn't this mean anyone who has been playing on XSS/XSX will suddenly have their Night City updated to a dead city in comparison, after installing the latest patch?
Considering the Xbox one version of the game is apparently the worst version, I would assume xss/xsx would also be hit by any changes that were made to the Xbox version to allow it to perform better on one.

It's clear though that the game should have been pc/ps5/xsx only, or the game should have been scaled back heavily because the performance on base last gen consoles was seemingly terrible and will be very limited in comparison, or even caused limitations for next gen versions.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I'm still in awe just how great the background NPCs look in this game.. yeah, there are some clones but I rather take this take to make unique NPCs by hand that randon generated monstrosities

sDGlR4m.png

ERjaB1M.png
tie5D3B.png

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the Xbox one version of the game is apparently the worst version, I would assume xss/xsx would also be hit by any changes that were made to the Xbox version to allow it to perform better on one.

That might affect the Series S, but I seem to remember Digital Foundry saying that the Series X actually has code that allows it to have much higher crowd density than any of the other consoles, including the PS5.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That might affect the Series S, but I seem to remember Digital Foundry saying that the Series X actually has code that allows it to have much higher crowd density than any of the other consoles, including the PS5.
I didn't realise that, interesting.

Will all depend I suppose on how the reduction was implemented and if that workaround for series X will make a difference.

I just wonder how the next gen versions will be at this point. I expect visual upgrades to make it more in line with the PC version but how will other things like crowd density etc be affected too.

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I ended up having to redownload my whole game on ps5 to get the recent patch to download properly. I spent a couple hours tonight doing campaign and some side missions. I encountered many issues. I lost the ability to select dialog options until i reloaded. The cursor icon keeps disappearing when I load up the stats menu. The game wouldnt project pathways on the mini-map when selecting destinations. And like others have said. The map is a ghost town when it comes to traffic but the game still has trouble streaming in textures and chunks of the environment.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still in awe just how great the background NPCs look in this game.. yeah, there are some clones but I rather take this take to make unique NPCs by hand that randon generated monstrosities

sDGlR4m.png

ERjaB1M.png
tie5D3B.png

there is actually a lot of repeats, just with different clothing and haircuts. It's safe to say that a lot of is indeed randomly generated.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
there is actually a lot of repeats, just with different clothing and haircuts. It's safe to say that a lot of is indeed randomly generated.

I have a ton of screenshots of the background NPCs and apart from the clones, so far I haven't seen any NPCs that have the same face and overall model with just different clothes, hair or implants.. and every patch introduce some new unique models too

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Digital Foundry CyberPunk 2077 1.23 Patch video and analysis: Return to PS store edition

-Base PS4 better but not great, still streaming issues, object pop in, but overall more stable
-Framerates improved 3-6 frames in some areas
- Still small hitches due to data streaming
- PS4 Pro sees Minot framerate improvements
- Lighting in first mission returned
- PS5 version mostly unchanged, patch mainly helps older versions
- Framerate alley still causes heavy dips

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Digital Foundry CyberPunk 2077 1.23 Patch video and analysis: Return to PS store edition

-Base PS4 better but not great, still streaming issues, object pop in, but overall more stable
-Framerates improved 3-6 frames in some areas
- Still small hitches due to data streaming
- PS4 Pro sees Minot framerate improvements
- Lighting in first mission returned
- PS5 version mostly unchanged, patch mainly helps older versions
- Framerate alley still causes heavy dips

Just watched this. The PS4 version is absolutely hideous even in the rare occasion where everything's working properly, and the visual glitches are unbelievable. I guess Sony only allowed this to be sold because it wasn't crashing every 30 minutes anymore.

Sidenote: it's impressive how the 60fps bump on PS5 cleans up the image, as this is the most ridden with temporal artifacts game I've probably ever seen. All reflective surfaces seem perpetually broken even on PS4 Pro.

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Okay controversial opinion. But the more I play the game the more I like it. All the main campaign and side mission stuff is great. There's tons of dialogue options and the animations are slick. I hate RPGs where two characters are just standing in front of each other and nothing happens. And here thecharacters get up, walk around, pour themselves drinks and lots of other tiny details.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Okay controversial opinion. But the more I play the game the more I like it. All the main campaign and side mission stuff is great. There's tons of dialogue options and the animations are slick. I hate RPGs where two characters are just standing in front of each other and nothing happens. And here thecharacters get up, walk around, pour themselves drinks and lots of other tiny details.
That's not controversial. The game got alot of things right and the tiny details they pulled off are seldom seen in first person RPGs.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017

I love the game. The bugs don't bother me but the transphobia stuff does.

Oct 26, 2017
So I just got the Sun Ending... I, I am devastated.
Losing Judy to become the Queen of the Afterlife destroyed me. Fuuuck this ending hits me in the feels.
Final assault on Arasaka was amazing fun but man this ending just made me equal measures happy and depressed. Last time I felt like this during a game was during the funeral for Vezemir in Witcher3

So first the nomad, now the Street Kid playthrough. Think I'm going to hold off on the Corpo Rat playthrough until they release the promised DLC or whatever content updates they are going to do.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Still waiting on the nextgen versions... Not expecting much from CDPR at this point tbh. Patch probably coming out in november or gets delayed until next year

Oct 26, 2017
Still waiting on the nextgen versions... Not expecting much from CDPR at this point tbh. Patch probably coming out in november or gets delayed until next year
Depends on what they are planning to do via patches. Like if they actually plan to get a working path finding and driver ai into the game, or implement dynamic events, that won't release this year.
If this is it for features, and the DLC is just going to add quests and extra items then the next gen patch will absolutely hit this year.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Finally watched Curio's excellent video essay on Cyberpunk 2077. It really seems more "neonliberal" than any punk. Really appreciated the depth they went into the orientalism of the genre, how other cyberpunk games don't need to play into the eastern hypercapitalist panic (Umurangi Generation, Observer, Cloudpunk, Ghostrunner), the shallow trans representation in the character creator that you can't do much of at all in the actual story or even talk in solidarity to the one trans character in the game, the confusing Matrix-inspired pills and Johnny gender dysphoria but the red pill makes you close to suicide while the film it was a metaphor for oestrogen and for waking up to the reality. Then there's outdated tropes of mentally ill people being baddies (cyber psychos), and prosthetics being seen as evil rather than disability aids like in Observer. Then the more neoliberal politics and edgy liberalism where it's easier to see the end of the world than the end of capitalism. Leftism or post-capitalism is seen as a joke and there is a lack of imagination to see any alternatives to capitalism. Then to continually reference Matrix or other better cyberpunk works which are much more aspirational, but Cyberpunk's version of the Matrix would be you took the red pill and nothing happened because it was just a pill and fuck you.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Any word on DLC of any kind? I'm dying to get back into the game! Will probably start my third V when the next DLC or next gen update drops.

No dates or any details, but according to the devs the game is now finally ready... So I guess that means they'll begin moving some resources from bug and crash management to something else.

kotaku.com

Dev: Cyberpunk 2077 Now Actually Ready Six Months After Release

After numerous updates, CD Projekt says the game has reached “a satisfying level” of performance

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Oct 26, 2017
Every time I quit the game from Steam it still runs in the background. I have to manually kill the Cyberpunk process. Anyone else run into this?
I have the GOG version but never had that happen. Will check in the evening if it happens. I noticed however that on my old PC the game "crashes" when you quit from the main menu and it prompts you to send a crash report each time. Could also just be my old PC barely even surviving a play session these days.

Edit: Nope, process closes as it should. What a weird behaviour. Do you have any mods loaded?

Last edited:

john385

Oct 26, 2017
So…reinstalled this after…well, launch day when I just gave up.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What can I expect after all these patches?
I'd like to be in the 50-60fps range for GSYNC to help me out.
@1440p btw on a Ryzen 1700x, 16GB RAM, 1070 Ti, SSD.
Possible?
Any recent performance guides/tips?
Thanks.