• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Patch 1.22 up

Patch notes short enough to post :

Hotfix 1.22 for Cyberpunk 2077 is live on PC, consoles and Stadia.

This update addresses the most frequently reported issues since the last patch and introduces further improvements to stability and performance of the game. Here is the list of changes:

Quests & Open World
  • The Metro: Memorial Park dataterm should now properly count towards the Frequent Flyer achievement.
  • Fixed glitches in Johnny's appearance occurring after buying the Nomad car from Lana.
  • Fixed an issue in Gig: Until Death Do Us Part where it was not possible to use the elevator.
  • Fixed an issue in Epistrophy where the player could get trapped in the garage if they didn't follow the drone and ran into the control room instead.
  • Added a retrofix for the issue we fixed in 1.21, where Takemura could get stuck in Japantown Docks in Down on the Street - for players who already experienced it before update 1.21 and continued playing until 1.22, Takemura will now teleport to Wakako's parlor.
  • Fixed an issue preventing the player from opening the phone in the apartment at the beginning of New Dawn Fades.
  • Fixed an issue where the player could become unable to use weapons and consumables after interacting with a maintenance panel in Riders on the Storm.
Visual
  • Fixed various issues related to clipping in NPCs' clothes.
UI
  • Fixed an issue where subtitles were not properly aligned in the Arabic language version.
Stability and performance
  • Various memory management improvements (reducing the number of crashes), and other optimizations.
  • Improved GPU performance of skinning and cloth rendering.
Console-specific
  • GPU and ESRAM optimizations and improvements on Xbox One.
  • Memory management improvements on PlayStation 5.
Stadia-specific
  • It's no longer possible to get soft locked in the key bindings menu if a keyboard is not available

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Interisting the ps5 part. Wonder what it mean during gameplay

Memory management usually means better optimisation and usage of asset loading/unloading in the game world. This can often affect-

- Objects per scene
- Level of detail management
- Actor/object management per scene
- World chunks (Areas that are loaded/unloaded as the player moves through the world)
- Texture streaming

The better the memory management, the better parts of the world will run when it comes to fetching/unfetching necessary assets.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
Ooooh, we're getting PS5-specific updates? Was gonna hold off on playing this until the actual PS5 release, but am really tempted to dive back in.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw credits. Fucking awesome game. No gamebreaking bugs or a single crash on PC during my 43 hours.

Easy 10/10 for me. Personally, i think it was just as good as witcher 3, which i consider a masterpiece.

I'll be back for another playthrough when the PS5 update comes out.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Got a Samsung SSD 870 Evo on my base PS4, started a new game with patch 1.22 and the game runs totally fine now. I would say the performance and bugs are on par with The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Assassin's Creed Odyssey and other big open world games of the generation.

I'm happy.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I played an hour or so with 1.22 on One X and it still feels stuttery in the one place I need it to not feel stuttery: gun fights.

It's sad I wish they brought this into parity with the PS4 Pro's streaming memory management changes.

The game just doesn't feel good to play if you're going for shooty shooty bang bang...and I don't know why but it's felt to me it's gotten worse from patch to patch in this aspect while improving in other areas.

Driving for instance is much better now.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Just saw credits. Fucking awesome game. No gamebreaking bugs or a single crash on PC during my 43 hours.

Easy 10/10 for me. Personally, i think it was just as good as witcher 3, which i consider a masterpiece.

I finished my first play through the other day at 95 hours (didn't even finish all side jobs or gigs yet either). Agreed it was fucking great and 0 issues on PC as well. Cant wait for the dlc and expansions.

Oct 25, 2017

I finished my first play through the other day at 95 hours (didn't even finish all side jobs or gigs yet either). Agreed it was fucking great and 0 issues on PC as well. Cant wait for the dlc and expansions.

I finished my first playthrough a couple weeks ago at 115 hours. Playing on PC too and had no issues. definitely one of my favorite games of last gen. I finished all the side jobs and crimes before finishing the story, so my only complaint is i just wish there was more to do after beating it. I don't want to do another playthrough, so I guess it's just waiting for DLC.

I wish they didn't have to spend so much time fixing a version that shouldn't of even been released so we could get content sooner.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I finished my first playthrough a couple weeks ago at 115 hours. Playing on PC too and had no issues. definitely one of my favorite games of last gen. I finished all the side jobs and crimes before finishing the story, so my only complaint is i just wish there was more to do after beating it. I don't want to do another playthrough, so I guess it's just waiting for DLC.

I wish they didn't have to spend so much time fixing a version that shouldn't of even been released so we could get content sooner.
Ironically I literally spent more time beating this than I did W3. There was so much FUD about the game having no content I wasn't expecting it. I feel like a decent amount of the side jobs could have been integrated into the main story...maybe this would have led to less complaining? Even the gigs I felt were cool, I somehow though they would all be procedurally made random world quests but was surprised to see all of them were hand made and took advantage of unique areas on the map and many of them having neat and interesting contexts (and the random stuff is actually still there as the random gang stuff)

Also, the Judy romance mission and stuff is probably the best I've seen in any game ever.

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Finished it recently. Liked it enough but it's very predictable and much more limited and staged then I expected. To much inconsequential filler and open-world slog, without any real Cyberpunk style critiques in it's writing. It's rather toothless with maybe one side-quest that stands out (the one with the prisoner)

Started Deus Ex 1 right after just to check if i'm out of touch with what Cyberpunk RPG's where/could be. Although old, it's night and day in the 'reactivity' and writing department. (Even though it's dated 'game-feel' and especially voice acting)

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I went back to this after the recent patch. There's still a fair bit of jank here and there, the same over-aggressive writing at times, and the already well-observed issues. But I also very much enjoy it. There are so many good missions, and some nicely done smaller moments between characters.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Despite generally enjoying the game on PC (over 100h already) I have made the difficult decision to shelve this game until later in the year when more patches/dlc are available. I don't want to replay the entire thing.. so it makes sense to just wait for it to improve then play it fresh again. See you in 6 months CP2077.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
How are people having no crashes on PC? I have a 2070super and the game runs well enough with RT, but it just constantly crashes randomly, or flatlines. It has been buggy trash for me. The worst game bug wise I have probably ever played. So very surprising to me that there are people out there who have apparently had no issues. Doesn't happen in any other game, just this one.

Just uninstalled it, tired of its bullshit.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I am properly into this now. I paid very little attention to it pre-launch (and so I had no real expectations about missing features etc), read about the transphobia and related issues, but decided to buy it as I became more curious about the game as a whole, and I've long been OK with engaging with stories and worlds that feature questionable ethical issues - I consider it, on a selfish level, a useful thing to do, for my own reflection and development. There are limits, of course, but Cyberpunk did not reach those for me - even as those issues, and the often OTT scripting are both completely needless, quite apart from being passive aggressively depicted (at best).

As a game, it definitely fits into comfortable shoes in many respects. I'm not sure the skill tree is as exciting as I originally thought, and I've rarely been that challenged by anything. There are a lot of icons on the map, all the usual open world stuff. The random chatter on the streets is often cool, but often contextually totally out of place.

But, at its heart there's a scuffed but pretty incredible achievement, in many respects. I'm playing on One X, so it's hardly in the best shape, but it's better than at launch. There are many noticeable little quirks and issues, but at the same time the city is incredibly designed. I've never played a game where it's so tricky to spot re-used assets (i.e. it's literally possible to spot them, but they are deployed in ways that negate their familiarity), or where there is such a neat interplay between 'cut-scene' and normal play. For every 'go here, get a call, do a gig' mission (and these are often fun, with their own areas and little bits of story) there are more 'organic' missions that appear simply by proximity, or narrative development. The interplay between V and the main characters is often well-done (though early-doors I definitely felt the 'try hard juvenile' aspect a bit, it seems to have lessened), with some really nice touches and some great animation, acting, etc. Yes, cracks show often, and sometimes flat-out bizarre things occur, but most of the time I am immersed and engaged and enjoying myself a lot. That doesn't often happen for me with SP games.

So, perhaps not what was promised. Certainly not free of ethical/representation issues (that, again, are so fucking needless apart from anything else). Certainly glitchy in places, still. But also phenomenally well-built in certain areas, very engaging and often, yes even on One X, very pretty, atmospheric, stylish, even amusing. Glad I tried it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Modders to CD Projekt Red:
tenor.gif

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
I had forgotten about this OT thing. Sorry about that.

There's been a lot of talk about the bugs of Cyberpunk but Curio goes deep on the failings of Cyberpunk 2077's as a cyberpunk story.

Also includes a bug montage that makes a really good point at the end of it.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I just finished this finally after buying it day one. Weird but decent end to its story?

Was it not supposed to continue with exploring the city after the ending of the main story. Thought it was completely set up for that with the characters calling during the credits and also that weird epilogue quest with the kid. But then teleported me back to the part just before starting the last quest. That was kinda crappy and immersion breaking
I would give the game about 7-8/10 was good in some ways and very advanced compared to competition in some ways as well. Then it was so jank compared to competition in some other ways. Looks amazing with all raytracing settings on. Then some textures and models stand out as being not good enough compared to all those effects.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't weird that CDPR hasn't posted any update to their roadmap going forward seeing as how the defined portion has been completed, leaving us with nothing but a vague undefined "continued fixes, free DLCs and next-gen versions" blurb coming at some point throughout the year?

You'd think they'd provide an updated plan with what they intend to fix, when they intend to have a PS4 version that can make its way back onto the PS Store, and so on?

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't weird that CDPR hasn't posted any update to their roadmap going forward seeing as how the defined portion has been completed, leaving us with nothing but a vague undefined "continued fixes, free DLCs and next-gen versions" blurb coming at some point throughout the year?

You'd think they'd provide an updated plan with what they intend to fix, when they intend to have a PS4 version that can make its way back onto the PS Store, and so on?
Theyre taking the No Man's Sky route, and probably for the better. There's no point in staying in the news when you don't have anything to deliver, or to risk missing release dates they had announced 6-8 months ahead of time. It'll be ready when it's ready.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Finished it. Really enjoyed a lot of it, even as so much could have been stronger or handled better. Really liked a lot of the characters and the engagement with the world. An expansion would be ace, as would their addressing their representational issues.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I had forgotten about this OT thing. Sorry about that.

There's been a lot of talk about the bugs of Cyberpunk but Curio goes deep on the failings of Cyberpunk 2077's as a cyberpunk story.

Also includes a bug montage that makes a really good point at the end of it.

Before I watch an hour long video, is this the video equivalent of that meme about cyberpunk games (in general) missing the point by having cyberpunk esthetics but no discussion of social issues?

Tryxx

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I haven't played it, haven't really watched many videos (of people playing the game) and it was one of my most hyped games. Unfortunately just seeing everyone's posts about the game and how terrible it is kind of killed every bit of excitement I had for it. I also was at the time going through a lot and didn't have much time to play anything. I just want some opinions now that I have some spare time do I pick up cyberpunk? Is it as terrible as everyone says, or is it just the bugs and glitches overshadowing the game itself?

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I had an overall good time with it but I actually think the writing (particularly side quest and misc quests which I considered one of Witcher 3's strengths) really hampered it. Outside of only a few stellar missions (particularly River's cop stuff) it never really drew me into the world as well I hoped it would.

Jun 17, 2018
I've not played it but bugs and glitches aside, the gameplay videos from streamers and such make the game look pretty bad.

I heard that there are upgrades that literally do nothing to and they removed a bunch of content.