• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

I enjoyed and appreciated this video on the game, dissecting what worked well and what didn't work at all. Very good way to spend an hour and twenty minutes IMO.

Patchy

Oct 29, 2017

I enjoyed and appreciated this video on the game, dissecting what worked well and what didn't work at all. Very good way to spend an hour and twenty minutes IMO.

Thanks - I am looking forward to this.

Despite all the valid criticism I can't stop playing this game - it has grabbed me in a way no game really has since Last of Us 1.

Last edited:

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017

Great video, feels like a nice 'afterward' to the game. One thing though, It kills me how he's right about many of CP02077 scenarios presenting a cool idea and completely fumbling conclusions. I'm never against flash for the sake of flash but you've got to have a complete idea for it to be cool, and it's like the writers didn't bother to get that far with much of the side content. Still thought the game was an fun ride, memorable characters and often good dialogue.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Well March is half way done... so that means patch any day now right? Right?

oh God it's never coming is it?
😭

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Well March is half way done... so that means patch any day now right? Right?

oh God it's never coming is it?
😭

I'm not expecting anything until the very, very end of March at the earliest. The main thing, regardless of whether it's March or April, is that this patch needs to bring tangible benefit- especially for console players. Releasing another patch-in-name-only this far in would be pretty devastating, IMO.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not expecting anything until the very, very end of March at the earliest. The main thing, regardless of whether it's March or April, is that this patch needs to bring tangible benefit- especially for console players. Releasing another patch-in-name-only this far in would be pretty devastating, IMO.
Yep. This patch has to fix a looot of issues. I think on base consoles they really just need to get much more aggressive with lowering asset quality and density. Think early Switch ports like Doom levels of cutbacks.
This game really needed another half year in development. What an insane mess.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Yep. This patch has to fix a looot of issues. I think on base consoles they really just need to get much more aggressive with lowering asset quality and density. Think early Switch ports like Doom levels of cutbacks.

I love it on PC but it needs more than half a year, and they never should have bothered with the PS4 and XB1 versions to begin with. Now they have to spend all that time fixing absolutely atrocious versions of the game, which will never be in an acceptable state, while PC players sit around and wait months for content updates. They could at least support the modding scene more so that modders can add some of the content/features that were inexplicably missing while CDPR cleans up their mess.

Oct 26, 2017
I love it on PC but it needs more than half a year, and they never should have bothered with the PS4 and XB1 versions to begin with. Now they have to spend all that time fixing absolutely atrocious versions of the game, which will never be in an acceptable state, while PC players sit around and wait months for content updates. They could at least support the modding scene more so that modders can add some of the content/features that were inexplicably missing while CDPR cleans up their mess.
I mean, CDPR did release the mod tools, so that's pretty much as good as it's going to get in terms of mod support.
The lack of content updates doesn't phase me much to be honest, I am still on my second playthrough and still have a ton to do. However after this playthrough I will shelve the game until the first content update releases... Whenever that's going to be.

Still, they promised the console versions, and fucked them up royally, so they have to do good by those customers first. It's appaling that they still haven't delivered a passable version for base old gen owners. What a fucking mess.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021

I'd like to see them add a quality/framerate option so that PS5 users don't get fucked over again with a patch that make it another downgrade, with the 'quality' option reverting it to before the last patch. The option could be there for the PS4 version to get around the BC issues the PS5 has compared to Series X, but default to 'framerate' mode for convenience for PS4 players.

I don't know how feasible this would be, but if the next patch is another downgrade I might be out for good. I've been waiting since Jan where the crashing got too much for me, but the idea of either waiting for a next gen version whenever the fuck that ends up being or diving back into the PS5 BC version with a defacto worse experience than I had months ago with an already barren shitty looking world isn't really appealing tbh.

One thing they HAVE to do though is fix the damn crashing finally.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to see them add a quality/framerate option so that PS5 users don't get fucked over again with a patch that make it another downgrade, with the 'quality' option reverting it to before the last patch. The option could be there for the PS4 version to get around the BC issues the PS5 has compared to Series X, but default to 'framerate' mode for convenience for PS4 players.

I don't know how feasible this would be, but if the next patch is another downgrade I might be out for good. I've been waiting since Jan where the crashing got too much for me, but the idea of either waiting for a next gen version whenever the fuck that ends up being or diving back into the PS5 BC version with a defacto worse experience than I had months ago with an already barren shitty looking world isn't really appealing tbh.

The console versions are an absolute Desaster. In over 100 hours I had a single crash on PC (countless bugs though) I hope that console players can finally get the game in a stable form. But even though I had a great time with it, my trust in CDPR salvaging this game is absolute sub zero. Especially with their deafening silence on progress.

I can't imagine what the leads at CDPR thought when making the call to release on console... Hell to release at all. Getting whiplash from shaking my head in disbelief.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
It blows my mind that they didn't can the last gen versions and focus instead on next gen. We could be playing the next gen versions right now.

Instead we have the dumb vicious cycle of 'fix thing that can't be fixed, surprise its not fixed, delay next gen to fix version that can't be fixed, surprise its not fixed, delay next gen to fix version that can't be fixed... etc'.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
It blows my mind that they didn't can the last gen versions and focus instead on next gen. We could be playing the next gen versions right now.

Instead we have the dumb vicious cycle of 'fix thing that can't be fixed, surprise its not fixed, delay next gen to fix version that can't be fixed, surprise its not fixed, delay next gen to fix version that can't be fixed... etc'.

"why didn't they just cancel the versions of the game that they've spent millions working on for 4 years and issue millions of dollars in refunds for pre-orders?"

oh and they would've wasted tons of money on marketing too, especially for e3 2018 & 2019

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Do we know for sure how long they were working on the last gen versions?

Also, I didn't mean cancel them way into dev, but when it became clear it couldn't be done. Years ago. How much of that potential lost money went instead into refunds? It was a bad decision in hindsight and a suck cost fallacy.

Apr 25, 2020

100% agreed. Right now they're sitting there staring at these nearly decade old consoles wondering how the fuck they are going to make this work.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017

Me too. I have been playing this game since it came out, I'm on my 4th playthrough and the fact that it looks shitty in some ways because of the PS4 irritates me greatly. For example, I hate how the cars turn into an endless line of 2d sprites when you are out in the sticks looking from a distance at a place that is more densely populated.

deliquate

Teyvat Traveler
Feb 25, 2021

I watched it yesterday. His videos are always good & this one was particularly satisfying because I agreed with almost every word.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

The game was suppose to come out at the end of 2019 originally before it was internally delayed deeper and deeper into 2020 3x times after that. They where never going to give up that install base, and considering they sold 13 million copies in a month, it was the right fiscal move even if it backfired PR wise.

What should blow people's mind, is that they barely even worked on the console version at all before the second half of 2018 because the game was in such design limbo for so long. That's fucking crazy considering they expected it to make up more than half their sales

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
So, after 95 hours and 11 minutes, I've fully completed the game. All I can say is, what a ride. Couldn't stop playing it as soon as I picked it up. The game set some benchmarks for me, with city immersion being at the top of the list. It felt very full and alive. The game isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a VERY good game with memorable characters and a great feel.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017

New patch details. Look to be improving the police, driving and dodging.

Releasing when though?

Also if you read the story, it talks about fixing driving responsiveness issues at 20FPS through 60FPS...

So I guess all any hopes that they could get frame rate on consoles to a reasonable level is gone.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
While we dearly wanted to deliver Patch 1.2 for Cyberpunk 2077 in the timespan we detailed previously, the recent cyber attack on the studio's IT infrastructure and extensive scope of the update mean this unfortunately will not happen — we'll need some additional time.

Our goal for Patch 1.2 goes beyond any of our previous updates. We've been working on numerous overall quality improvements and fixes, and we still have work to do to make sure that's what you get. With that in mind, we're now aiming for release in the second half of March.

If that is the extent of the "extensive scope" 1.2 patch after all this time then this is hilarious. No wonder it took them so long to get the game out, sheesh.

Last edited:

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Presumably there are bugfixes as well and these are simply the topline quality of life improvements, but "police take slightly longer to spawn in right behind you" isn't reassuring as a "look how much we're fixing" type of update.

What I'm really looking for is a proper roadmap, something that indicates they're committed to giving the game the year+ of further work it needs.

Last edited:

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
Releasing when though?

Also if you read the story, it talks about fixing driving responsiveness issues at 20FPS through 60FPS...

So I guess all any hopes that they could get frame rate on consoles to a reasonable level is gone.

To give them the benefit of the doubt (despite it not being earned), the PS4 and One versions of the game are never going to run at a locked 30fps so fixing driving responsiveness from 20 up makes sense. Hopefully that's all it is and not a tacit admission that last-gen is forever going to be running like garbo. 😬

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I know this probably isn't high priority since it's not really a "fix" but I'm holding out hope for a transmog sytem.

So many cool looking items went to waste in my playthrough because of lesser stats or a lack of mod slots.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Still no fix for the hourly crashes on ps5 what a joke

How do you know that? We don't know which fixes are going to be in the next patch - they only highlighted some which they could show off in videos - but there definitely going to be a lot more bug fixes and improvements, just like it's the case with every their games

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I can't wait to dive back into this world but I shouldn't expect any DLC until they fix the console versions.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm actually itching for a full replay already and these updates are encouraging, but I think I'll just hold out for the next-gen patch. By then there will hopefully be a whole suite of QoL improvements.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
That's a whole lot of words and trying to be cute about 4 changes to the game. 2 of which concern a slight control problem.
If that's all or if that's the best few changes out of the patch...
My thoughts exactly.

I know things have been less than ideal but with the hack but this PR release elluding to possible changes is definitely not the way to do it lol.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My thoughts exactly.

I know things have been less than ideal but with the hack but this PR release elluding to possible changes is definitely not the way to do it lol.

The potential of the game still makes it hard to let go and not get irrationally aggravated at the game and especially the company that build it.
The studio heads have made no attempt to redeem themselves so I'm not going back to the game anyways but stuff like this still gets me.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
How do you know that? We don't know which fixes are going to be in the next patch - they only highlighted some which they could show off in videos - but there definitely going to be a lot more bug fixes and improvements, just like it's the case with every their games
The crashing on PlayStation is so bad since the last patch that my friends all just stopped playing it. You'd think that they would make a big deal about it if the 1.2 patch makes the game playable again.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
The crashing on PlayStation is so bad since the last patch that my friends all just stopped playing it. You'd think that they would make a big deal about it if the 1.2 patch makes the game playable again.

They were only showing off improvements that they could show in videos - how do you show in a video that "yeah, the game is stable now on PS" ? The patch is going to have a lot of bug fixes and other improvements, as it is the case all the time