• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent thread, and a great example of what this game does really well. The first person perspective is absolutely vital to the game, I'm really put off by people clamouring for it to be third person.
Yeah, I'm also weirded out by people claiming third-person cutscenes were obviously planned for the game, but didn't make it in in time, just like so many other things. I really have to question if they have actually played the game. A lot of the cutscenes work so well because they are first person.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017

Baobab

Feb 4, 2021
I really loved the game.I know that there is so much to fix and balance and possibly expand….. But It is my GOTY for 2020 and with some margin.

One of the best feelings is racing through Night city with your bike in first person view and just stopping here and there taking assignments as they come and being distracted by landscape, architecture, people in need of help, gangwars, tarots, crime situations.. Then suddenly in this "chaos " of possibilities there comes a narrative twist that pulls you in, and your adventure becomes more focused and concentrated on that peculiar mission until you dissolve that linear narrative thread.Fantastic.

I liked the stealth possibilities: you can be a Hacker stealth character, creating short circuits, distractions, obfuscating vision etc, or you can be a james bond like stealth character with your silenced pistol(or with your throwing knives) and taking care in hiding the resulting bodies.

I found the levelling system really inspired with almost a Venn diagram mix of attributes/perks/tech implants that makes it possible to try different things out, especially in the beginning, and then the necessity to focus your build, to reach that 20 attributes points, and maximize your build in a certain aspect.

Crafting legendary iconic weapons is bonkers and generally the upgrading system for weapons and armour really works so well that you need to raise the difficulty of the game to one of the last two levels or it becomes too easy.This became only possible when i reached lvl 18 in this attribute and understood the upgrading possibilities and the iconic weapons( do not sell them!!)

Characters are interesting, multi faceted, they have their own ambitions and their own dreams and delusions, you are there to ride along them. The city is engrossing, complicated and full of bits of lore that provide ulterior context and meaning.

This is now in the Olympus of the open world games for me together with Zelda BOTW, Red dead 2, Witcher 3 and skyrim.
In my personal view this positions cyberpunk in a level other games in this genre have to strive to reach although this game is still not complete and it is partially broken.
Fuck...CD Projekt really fucked it up here.They have a long and hard road in front of theme and a trust to repair that maybe never reached again.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
This piece of crap for some reason isn't even launching for me anymore on PC. My system is powerful enough to run it with RT and I have not had anything like this issue with any other game. It was crashing frequently before that and now it straight up doesn't launch from GOG, even after I deleted and reinstalled it. Anyone else had this issue? I was enjoying the main missions, weapons and especially the city design and graphics, but the issues overall means this game is a disaster. W3 was one of my favourite games last gen, but with this and other issues with the devs my opinion of CD Projekt has plummeted.

Oct 27, 2017
I was really enjoying the Dream on quest line in cyberpunk but then it just ends no matter what you choose. No finding the bigger powers at play or anything etc. I still think so far the serial killer stuff with River is one of the most interesting arcs

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
So that big February patch is still coming... right? I apologize if there's been news on that that I missed. I got the game on launch day on PC, and it ran mostly fine, but I did run into a handful of annoying bugs, so I set it aside until it was patched up. Hoping the next big patch is a good point to jump back in, and I'm starting to get the itch to play it, but haven't heard anything on it.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
So that big February patch is still coming... right? I apologize if there's been news on that that I missed. I got the game on launch day on PC, and it ran mostly fine, but I did run into a handful of annoying bugs, so I set it aside until it was patched up. Hoping the next big patch is a good point to jump back in, and I'm starting to get the itch to play it, but haven't heard anything on it.

Apparently and I did the same thing but I'm on XSX. Their social media has been really quiet so I assume they've been working hard on it but the leak a few weeks back is making me think it might be a bit late.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017

Expect a delay into March to avoid disappointment.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I was really enjoying the Dream on quest line in cyberpunk but then it just ends no matter what you choose. No finding the bigger powers at play or anything etc. I still think so far the serial killer stuff with River is one of the most interesting arcs
I'm 99% sure this questline will continue in a future expansion. It's too big and too interesting to be left as is.

SPCTRE

Oct 25, 2017
So finally finished the game (PC version) after 99 hours, 50 minutes.

I gotta say, the
Arasaka/Corpo -> then transfer your soul into Mikoshi
ending is really unsatisfying. I was playing a corporat-V, so it felt fitting, but boy, was it a letdown in many ways.

I'm really torn about the game as a whole, I really, really liked just being in that world + the Deus Ex-y core gameplay. But this ending, it just really had a deflating feeling to it. I might replay the game, but I don't think I'll finish it again.

Edit: BTW, I think the game really doesn't get enough credit for the (character) writing. There is really good, emotionally resonant stuff in there with some of the characters, and they did a good job with the romances (for a video game).

Last edited:

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: BTW, I think the game really doesn't get enough credit for the (character) writing. There is really good, emotionally resonant stuff in there with some of the characters, and they did a good job with the romances (for a video game).
I agree, the characters, the set pieces in their questlines, the facial animations, everything's so smooth and compelling and I truly cared about the fate of many characters. It's a shame that the romances were designed within a linear framework and then added to an open world without any pacing consideration apparently. I mean
after finishing Panam's questline, there's an awkward silence until close to the end of the game which is disappointing after that rollercoaster of a questline... when she was calling like every 6 hours... and they're supposed to be a couple now, should have had a little random activities like invite her to a restaurant or just to shoot at some random gangs together, thing that San Andreas did like 20 years ago... And it's even worse with Judy who isn't even a part of saving her girlfriend I was like WTF? She's a tech girl, she creates some cutting edge shit and yet the developers didn't think she could have helped in the end missions. A lot of missed opportunities, such as Panam and Judy becoming friends and doing quests together to help their dying friend/love partner.
So in my opinion these relationships have very high highs and yet in the bigger picture they feel so half-baked eventually, like many parts of the game. I hope the devs can improve these things with expansions, here's hope we're going to
Arizona :)

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Expect a delay into March to avoid disappointment.

I'm expecting a delay into March and inevitable disappointment.

The Jan patch was supposed to fix the insane PS5 crashing and didn't. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I expect nothing at this point other than even more gutting of the visuals in the vain attempt to hit an even moderately shitty framerate on PS4.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
a-delayed-game-is-eventually-good-but-a-rushed-game-is-forever-bad.jpg

*looks at C2077's million delays*

I jest.

But whatever. at this point, just take your time CDPR. The game is what it is. The sh*t has already hit the fan, people have been hackin' and slashin', source code has been cyber'd.

What they gotta do now is just try to make it better, and if they do, they do. If not, well, on to the next projekt. :P

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I started the game 2 weeks ago (I've been taking my time) and I was anticipating the patch. But to be honest, I think it's playable right now and the stuff that bothers me the most is not something that I expect to see fixed by this patch

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
I called it. The attack was definitely going to affect the patch schedule. Just not a very good year for CDPR.
Very surprised, why would it affect the patch though? Hack and Patch are completely unrelated, unless the entire company went on a panic mode and everyone's roles were shifted to become a cybersecurity expert. Honestly is the best policy; they are now a boy who cried wolf. I don't trust their delays anymore.

Also, I don't like the thread about the delay being closed. Rarely anyone visits OT for news.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with any delay regardless of the reason. I mean we're in this spot because they didn't delay the base game enough lol

And yeah, closing legit news threads is pretty silly.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with it though I'm thinking of uninstalling it for now until the patch comes out. I can focus on slowly getting through other games while it comes out.

Either that or beat it since I'm sure I can just run through the campaign since I'm already max level and barely did anything main story wise

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Since I already beat the game I'm just waiting for the next expansion by then the game (hopefully) received multiple patches plus the smaller free updates. I also want a RTX card before I play it again and 3000 series aren't easy to come by.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Very surprised, why would it affect the patch though? Hack and Patch are completely unrelated, unless the entire company went on a panic mode and everyone's roles were shifted to become a cybersecurity expert. Honestly is the best policy; they are now a boy who cried wolf. I don't trust their delays anymore.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mmmmmm so I'm playing this on a base PS4 after the first small patches and even though I expected worse due to the internet exaggerating everything the game does run like shit. The worse to me are the menus though, I'm very picky with unresponsive UI and this game's menus are garbage and run like garbage.

The textures not loading remind me of UE games on PS3 lol

The thing is, the game itself is fun, the main missions are great but it does seem incredibly rushed. Outside of the main missions the game feels like an afterthought. The side content has been just plain bad up until this point. And the city is dead. The driving sucks too.

All in all I'm disappointed but I expected worse lol

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I finished this game last week (Panam ending) and I just can't remember another game that has disappointed me as much as cyberpunk. There are some real talented devs at CDPR but management really just bungled this game hard. Fixing Bug while game breaking won't solve the issue of actually content that just isn't good enough

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
I finished this game last week (Panam ending) and I just can't remember another game that has disappointed me as much as cyberpunk. There are some real talented devs at CDPR but management really just bungled this game hard. Fixing Bug while game breaking won't solve the issue of actually content that just isn't good enough

Sometimes I wonder if I played the same game. Some of the quest were really cool. You have to dig for some of them but after doing all the side quests. Really had a good time. Everyone entitled to an opinion though. Gonna run this again after they patch it up. Really enjoyed running this on PC. They have much to improve in certain areas.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I have not yet finished the game, but I've been putting a ton of time into Cyberpunk2077 and I need to say; whoever wrote that game actually does an exceptional job with their character work. Like I can't defend any of their front facing publicity or culture of crunch from CDProjektred at large, but they've done an incredible job on delivering sincere and nuanced characters. My experiences with Judy, Taro, and Johnny Silverhand have been stellar in a year where I've played tons of narrative videogames. Keanu does an excellent job in his performance, and I usually find him a bit wooden.

edit: I want to add, I was getting ok performance at about 50 fps with pretty modest settings, but I switched over to using GeForce Now to stream the game on max ray-traced settings at 60 fps, and it's been a revelation.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Think I have a bug.
Decided to finally put perk in virtuoso for 100% hacks. And none drop. Garbage
It's not 100% hack drop rate, it's a +100%/doubled chance. Not sure what the base rate is, though. I would never have the actual notification for them pop up saying they were added to my my inventory, but I'd check every once in a while and have a decent grab bag of them that weren't there before.

Apparently there might a bug with hacks you got from quests conflicting - the Ping freebie from that early quest in particular - so maybe selling all your Pings will help.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
It's not 100% hack drop rate, it's a +100%/doubled chance. Not sure what the base rate is, though. I would never have the actual notification for them pop up saying they were added to my my inventory, but I'd check every once in a while and have a decent grab bag of them that weren't there before.

Apparently there might a bug with hacks you got from quests conflicting - the Ping freebie from that early quest in particular - so maybe selling all your Pings will help.

I w that report. My ping and a bunch of items are bugged.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

Nice, Judy and Fem-V's voice actresses got a BAFTA nod.

I wish the dub VAs got some recognition as well, such great acting in the spain's spanish dub from all the characters that have a speaking role...

But I get that the BAFTAs will recognize english VAs, just wish that maybe other orgs recognized the dub work.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Cyberpunk after 50 hours. Solid 7.9. Liked the characters a lot and the world is great if not totally utilized. Much smaller in scope than what the originally promised but liked it still. Not many bugs on my X and the frame rate was a very solid 60. I'd be back once the MP is announced

I was really impressed with the acting. Jackie, takemura, panam judy the peralezes all great. Keanu sucked unfortunately

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
This isn't my favorite RPG but man the graphics and world just look awesome.

I wish more devs were focusing on building stuff that looks this good instead of how to make the most addictive battle royale game...

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, this game is so much fun but the small things can get really annoying.

I played so many hours just to find out that I equipped a Kiroshi mod for non lethal bullets 😐
So I bought new optics and used them for only a bit until I had to do a cyberpsycho for which I equipped the mod again, without knowing that you can't unequip it yourself but when you switch the cyberware back and forth at a ripper doc it gets unequipped automatically 😦

So after all, I probably only had kills by blade or stealth kills so far. This is not so bad but then I noticed that you don't really get street cred and reward money for just going non lethal at enemies because if you hack them to pieces afterwards with a sword, you gain some.

So I have probably played like 30 hours without earning any extra money or street cred 😫

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
The next big patch is being aimed at fixed bugs and performance still, right? Nothing on like content and the like yet?

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The next big patch is being aimed at fixed bugs and performance still, right? Nothing on like content and the like yet?
When they announced the delay of the patch they mentioned QoL updates along with fixes

Our goal for Patch 1.2 goes beyond any of our previous updates. We've been working on numerous overall quality improvements and fixes, and we still have work to do to make sure that's what you get. With that in mind, we're now aiming for release in the second half of March.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I stashed some iconic weapons over at the Aldecaldo camp and noticed yesterday that the stash is not synced with the one from the apartment.
Only noticed this because I went back to a former mission and got 2 iconic weapons.

After some googling, I even read that you can lose the stash at the Aldecaldos. What a huge fuck up that would have been.

Incredible how something like this is in the game.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I love the world and storylines, but the game... just isn't fun to play. Ugh, I want to find out what happens in so many of these stories but its just kind of tedious and finding combat to just be so repetitive