• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone that's played through it already started a second playthrough after these latest patches like I have? I'm still fairly early on in Act 2 in my second run but it's been WAY more stable this time around.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
It's wild to me that the game still has so many fans who're completely ignoring Cyberpunk's numerous design flaws and shallow/non-existent systems but to claim it would've been a GOTY contender if it'd been more polished? Lmao.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
It's wild to me that the game still has so many fans who're completely ignoring Cyberpunk's numerous design flaws and shallow/non-existent systems but to claim it would've been a GOTY contender if it'd been more polished? Lmao.

Personally, I happily agree that there's massive flaws in the game, bugs that are awful to have in a shipped product, and shallow/non-existent systems in the game. Fixing all of those would take far more than polish for sure.

That said, what's good in the game is well worth it, it's some of the best experiences I've ever had in gaming. Characters, writing, quest lines, the feel of driving around the city on my Kusanagi bike? Fantastic. It's the most 10/10 and 3/10 game I've ever played, it's both at the same time.

Anyway, I hope it comes back to PSN store soon. It's clear the reason it got taken down was people kept asking for refunds, and Sony would sooner shutter Naughty Dog than offer customers basic rights. Which should really be more of an issue than it is.

Alxjn

Nov 17, 2017

How is it at all surprising to you? There are numerous highly rated games that have significant design flaws and or poorly implemented systems that people ignore because the game is better than the sum of its parts or they just don't place as much value on those underwhelming aspects of the game.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
The story is good in a vacuum, but it's actually very bad for an open-world game. The structure of it is terrible, because it makes literally no sense to do any side missions and explore the city when you're told that you have only a few weeks to live. This game would have been better off as a linear, tighter game without any open world. CDPR clearly has no clue how to create an immersive sandbox or how to write a story for it.

I think that's really a common issue for big, open world RPGs. You want to make the main story big and important but not so much that it should be your character's only goal. Look at something like Fallout 4, where your child was kidnapped. Pretty much any parent should make that a top priority but I'm sure tons of players messed around with other stuff first.
While its certainly not impossible to write a really good main quest that doesn't feel like it should always be your #1 priority it's tough enough I usually give it a pass when not done perfectly.

Jun 13, 2020
It been 2 months since it absolutely destroyed TLOU part II in The Game Awards as well... well, at least thats what people were saying after tlou 2 launch.

its really not man. They somehow fucked up even the things they were good at with witcher 3.

I enjoyed the story (it was just something above mediocre) and everything else was just mediocre as well. Gunplay, dialogues and characters were great, everything else... meh.

I wonder if its shame that the technical state was totally catastrophic. Would reviewers actually reviewed this game and calling out all the mediocre stuff in it if they could play it without bugs? I am still in disbelief over the PC metacritic scores and reviewers just generally ignoring all the problems with this game's design.
That's the thing, when people praise this game they always talk about the story and the graphics (and occasionally the gunplay), but this wasn't sold as a first person, narrative driven shooter. This was sold as a RPG, one that would be revolutionary.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've really been enjoying it on Series X. It plays pretty well on next gen consoles. I feel bad for last gen users though. They should have made this next gen only.

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020

Because a game is the whole of the product and some people are fixated on the defects and not looking at the game as a whole. What matters at the end is I had fun with it, got my money's worth without feeling pressure to hate it just because LMAO the AI sucks doode.

73 above 75 reviews and 15 reviews between 60-70 and one review scoring it 40. Most games would kill for these kinds of scores.

And please no one starts with CDPR payed them off, like why would they pay off Stevivor (don't know who that is) and not Gamespot and PC Gamer.....

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even sure if they fix the bugs that I'll try the game. After seeing endless videos that show the glaring issues in design I'm not sure I can pretend to ignore those.

Like the police spawning in alone seems like such a let down. That's not a bug, that is bad design.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I am on a PC and have had pretty decent performance (1080Ti, i9 10850K, so not top of the line but good system), but the world just feels empty. NPC AI or rather complete lack thereof. Empty world from arcade machines to street vendors to cops which basically don't do jack.

The city is quite pretty. Major NPCs have amazing facial animation. Some of the quests are quite good. Some of the combat stuff like crazy jumps, hacking, etc... can be fun, but overall this game didn't live up to the hype, that's for sure. And this ignoring CDPR's very questionable behavior toward trans folks and terrible last gen console performance.

Game is a 7/10 to me, basically a prettier Deus Ex, but with its soul missing as others have said. I really don't get how they went from Witcher 3 (especially post patches/DLC) to Cyberpunk. Maybe as stated before, Witcher 3 gave a good framework on how everything works with 7+ books to draw from. Although Cyberpunk creator was on board for this one too, so just don't know.

Still, IMO, its worth a play-through, on sale, on PC, for folks who enjoy sci-fi/cyberpunk/near future genres. Nothing is out there quite like it since Deus Ex is dead :(.

AFAIK alot of the devs on The Witcher series were different from devs on Cyberpunk 2077(?) At least that's what I remember hearing. They took ages to staff up for Cyberpunk 2077 and hired from all over the world so it was a new team really.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I think for the most part, if you can sidestep past the technical issues (game is good on pc, and I have had perfectly fine experience on Xbox Series X on performance mode), its a 9/10 game. (Again, I'm in no way NOT acknowledging the fact the game is a dumpster fire on last gen consoles and PS5, which is really bad, the shitstorm they gotten for that)
What's with all the XSX owners assuming it's a dumpster fire on PS5 in this thread? I watched all the DF videos on it and as far as I'm aware, it runs pretty similar on both current gen systems.

Personally, I happily agree that there's massive flaws in the game, bugs that are awful to have in a shipped product, and shallow/non-existent systems in the game. Fixing all of those would take far more than polish for sure.

That said, what's good in the game is well worth it, it's some of the best experiences I've ever had in gaming. Characters, writing, quest lines, the feel of driving around the city on my Kusanagi bike? Fantastic. It's the most 10/10 and 3/10 game I've ever played, it's both at the same time.

Anyway, I hope it comes back to PSN store soon. It's clear the reason it got taken down was people kept asking for refunds, and Sony would sooner shutter Naughty Dog than offer customers basic rights. Which should really be more of an issue than it is.
I can understand that, I enjoyed a lot of the characters as well, but as a whole, it's an incredibly mediocre game. The world, level design, tech tree, filler scattered all over the map, dogshit AI, police "system", etc. There's way too many fundamental problems for them to ever fix, let alone claim it could've been a GOTY contender if they'd just polished it up more. May as well give GOTY to fucking Watch Dogs Legion at that point.

Because a game is the whole of the product and some people are fixated on the defects and not looking at the game as a whole. What matters at the end is I had fun with it, got my money's worth without feeling pressure to hate it just because LMAO the AI sucks doode.

73 above 75 reviews and 15 reviews between 60-70 and one review scoring it 40. Most games would kill for these kinds of scores.

And please no one starts with CDPR payed them off, like why would they pay off Stevivor (don't know who that is) and not Gamespot and PC Gamer.....
Nice double reply there.

I'm already looking at the game as a whole and that game is a 7/10. No-one's saying you can't have fun with it, I sometimes have fun with Dynasty Warriors but I'm not gonna go around claiming Dynasty Warriors could've been GOTY.

Paid off? No. Caught up in the hype and assuming all the bugs they ran into would be fixed by the day one patch because CDPR assured them they would? Sure.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
you can acknowledge the flaws and still enjoy it. I loved every minute in my 100hour playthrough and even in it's current state enjoyed it more than witcher 3, which was my favorite game of the generation

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I can understand that, I enjoyed a lot of the characters as well, but as a whole, it's an incredibly mediocre game. The world, level design, tech tree, filler scattered all over the map, dogshit AI, police "system", etc. There's way too many fundamental problems for them to ever fix, let alone claim it could've been a GOTY contender if they'd just polished it up more. May as well give GOTY to fucking Watch Dogs Legion at that point.

Just as I can understand your opinion. There is so much that just doesn't work that needs far more than 'polish', it needs years more in development. That is absolutely a mark against the game, and it's entirely understandable why many wouldn't like it at all, and with very good reason! It's not on my own GOTY list for that reason, even though I played it for over 100 hours and finished everything in the game. I'm certainly not ignoring the flaws, and I don't think many are here. Many are saying what they loved about it however.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely an enjoyable game even though there are some annoying bugs. U randomly zoom in too much after triggering a cutscene and u have to restart the game to zoom back out again lol. Although I prefer the Deus Ex storylines and lore way more, the graphics and city they've build is so beautiful to look at.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
What's with all the XSX owners assuming it's a dumpster fire on PS5 in this thread? I watched all the DF videos on it and as far as I'm aware, it runs pretty similar on both current gen systems.

they're probably referring to the fact that at launch before 1.10, the PS5 version crashed far more often than the XSX version.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
this just straight up isn't launching on my PC anymore since the most recent hotfix. Before it would randomly crash in game, seemingly randomly but pretty darn frequently. Now it isn't loading from GOG at all. Anyone had this issue? Any idea of any fixes? /

This is the buggiest game I have ever played. What a disaster. The city itself is amazing, and pretty much the main reason I keep playing, and some of the missions are pretty engrossing. But everything else is unfinished.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Still early on, but I wish enemies weren't such bullet sponges. Does this change later in the game? It bothers me playing stealthy, the only way to kill them is to get up behind them, because headshots do nothing. And once you go guns blazing it highlights the average gunplay, which is very good for an immersive sim but falls short when there's so much shooting involved.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Still early on, but I wish enemies weren't such bullet sponges. Does this change later in the game? It bothers me playing stealthy, the only way to kill them is to get up behind them, because headshots do nothing. And once you go guns blazing it highlights the average gunplay, which is very good for an immersive sim but falls short when there's so much shooting involved.

Yes.
If you stick to spending your skill points into one thing, be it guns or hacking or whatever, you will become insanely overpowered in that thing and enemies will fall with relative ease.
Actually, if you don't specialize and you branch out, you can STILL take out enemies fairly easily.

For example, I went with a mix of hand guns and hacking, so a lot of times I'll start a gun fight doing a short circuit to an enemy for most of their health and then finish them off the rest of the way with a few bullets while they're flailing about with electricity, before rinsing and repeating on the other enemies.

There's other combos that essentially make you God mode midway through the game (especially if you do something like max out INT and Cool and slot Legendary short circuit into your cyberdeck because that makes your bullets apply the short circuit hack on critical hit [which should be close to 100% of the time max Cool].)

I'm 50ish hours into the game and honestly, I feel bad for the enemies that get in my way sometimes.

Last edited:

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes.
If you stick to spending your skill points into one thing, be it guns or hacking or whatever, you will become insanely overpowered in that thing and enemies will fall with relative ease.
Actually, if you don't specialize and you branch out, you can STILL take out enemies fairly easily.

For example, I went with a mix of hand guns and hacking, so a lot of times I'll start a gun fight doing a short circuit to an enemy for most of their health and then finish them off the rest of the way with a few bullets while they're flailing about with electricity, before rinsing and repeating on the other enemies.

There's other combos that essentially make you God mode midway through the game (especially if you do something like max out INT and Cool and slot Legendary short circuit into your cyberdeck because that makes your bullets apply the short circuit hack on critical hit [which should be close to 100% of the time max Cool].)

I'm 50ish hours into the game and honestly, I feel bad for the enemies that get in my way sometimes.

Good to know, thanks! I'm spending more points on intelligence and cool, not so much on guns or melee.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Did CDPR ever say anything about how Afterlife was supposed to be utilized? I get the sense it was intended as a sort of hub area for gigs and that the system in the final game -- where fixers just call you at the quest location, was a huge compromise.

Oct 25, 2017
The world, level design, skills, and tech trees are all among my favorites in gaming... No wait, I can't possibly feel that way, liquidsolid says so.

The bugs and glitches are absolutely the only things holding it back from being among my tops of all time. Other actual design faults such as pedestrian and car AI are certainly poorly done, but have little negative effect on the overall experience. Other things like balance are out of whack, but it was just super fun making broken builds so I don't care.

My biggest issues besides bugs are really just controls and UI, those actually detract from the experience

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got to the ending of this stupid fucking game and the final decision was so completely broken that it immediately pretty much ruined the entire story for me.

I chose to take the pill and complete the arasaka raid as johnny - not the secret ending. When I get to the very last sequence, I'm playing as Johnny and am told to cross the bridge and enter cyberspace forever, or enter the well to return to V's body.

In my conversations with V, the subtitles log as being from Johnny. When I walk to the bridge, because I want to give V her body back, I keep getting attacked and beat up by her, calling me a traitor and ruining the deal.

Okay... did I screw up somehow? Time to find the well I guess?

When I get to the well, there's a message from Alt, who is standing right by the well, that says 'You will become a part of me as V's body and former life are restored."

Okay, that's backwards from what the UI is telling me, but after being literally attacked by V the other way, I guess this is the one I want?

Nope. Wake up as Johnny in the epilogue.

And this is after I completed literally every single thing in the game but somehow, some way, must have fucked up one single thing to not qualify for the secret ending.

Seriously one of the most disappointing sequences I've ever played through, all because of how badly bugged this game is. It felt like the ultimate betrayal of player trust in giving them a choice like they did, just for it to be so convoluted if intended, or completely broken if not.

Last edited:

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Finished Panam questline. Having a blast. Game was so slow getting out of the gate. Some things clearly are not done. Consider Witcher 2&3 some of my favorites. PC version is okay but still bugs in every session. City in spots has made jaw drop.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I finally got to the ending of this stupid fucking game and the final decision was so completely broken that it immediately pretty much ruined the entire story for me.

I chose to take the pill and complete the arasaka raid as johnny - not the secret ending. When I get to the very last sequence, I'm playing as Johnny and am told to cross the bridge and enter cyberspace forever, or enter the well to return to V's body.

In my conversations with V, the subtitles log as being from Johnny. When I walk to the bridge, because I want to give V her body back, I keep getting attacked and beat up by her, calling me a traitor and ruining the deal.

Okay... did I screw up somehow? Time to find the well I guess?

When I get to the well, there's a message from Alt, who is standing right by the well, that says 'You will become a part of me as V's body and former life are restored."

Okay, that's backwards from what the UI is telling me, but after being literally attacked by V the other way, I guess this is the one I want?

Nope. Wake up as Johnny in the epilogue.

And this is after I completed literally every single thing in the game but somehow, some way, must have fucked up one single thing to not qualify for the secret ending.

Seriously one of the most disappointing sequences I've ever played through, all because of how badly bugged this game is. It felt like the ultimate betrayal of player trust in giving them a choice like they did, just for it to be so convoluted if intended, or completely broken if not.
These disjointed Johnny narrative points are definitely the biggest downer for me in the entire game. I see hour long videos of people like, following an NPC around for 45 minutes straight and complaining that all they do is loop back to the same spot, or exposing the flaws in a wanted system that you almost never actually encounter throughout normal play, or screaming about traffic patterns, and I'm just like

what

...what??

Outside of the base last gen performance issues, there's nothing in the game that is remotely as damaging to my impressions of it as their consistent misalignment of Johnny dialogue in major story beats. "BEEP BEEP, MOTHERFUCKER!" is the tip of the iceberg. I don't want to spoil anything specific, but there are similar clusterfucks in the other endings, where you'll say something, and Johnny will say something, and its just totally wrong -- and these are multi-choice dialogues that I'm talking about, where it's different varieties of talking-with-a-chatbot-that-didn't-quite-understand-wrong no matter which way you go.

I could understand not being able to get Keanu back in to record some new lines as things changed during development, but the fact that they couldn't even rewrite some stuff for V to make things fit better is, for me, evidence Exhibit #1 that they just threw a tarp over the unfinished parts and pushed the game out the door.

It's not bugged, it was triage. I do hope they fix it some day, but I'm not counting on it.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
These disjointed Johnny narrative points are definitely the biggest downer for me in the entire game. I see hour long videos of people like, following an NPC around for 45 minutes straight and complaining that all they do is loop back to the same spot, or exposing the flaws in a wanted system that you almost never actually encounter throughout normal play, or screaming about traffic patterns, and I'm just like

what

...what??

Outside of the base last gen performance issues, there's nothing in the game that is remotely as damaging to my impressions of it as their consistent misalignment of Johnny dialogue in major story beats. "BEEP BEEP, MOTHERFUCKER!" is the tip of the iceberg. I don't want to spoil anything specific, but there are similar clusterfucks in the other endings, where you'll say something, and Johnny will say something, and its just totally wrong -- and these are multi-choice dialogues that I'm talking about, where it's different varieties of talking-with-a-chatbot-that-didn't-quite-understand-wrong no matter which way you go.

I could understand not being able to get Keanu back in to record some new lines as things changed during development, but the fact that they couldn't even rewrite some stuff for V to make things fit better is, for me, evidence Exhibit #1 that they just threw a tarp over the unfinished parts and pushed the game out the door.

It's not bugged, it was triage. I do hope they fix it some day, but I'm not counting on it.

Seriously. It's so bad and so completely unacceptable.

I have not been this upset about a game's ending since the original Mass Effect 3 stuff. I feel completely stabbed in the back by this game's story. >_<

Oct 27, 2017

Don't worry about the "secret ending" it's the same that you got with the same choices, only the gameplay part is different: you're storming arasaka tower alone.

About Johnny's narrative issues, just before the end, in the elevator and on the roof, Johnny told me twice I could chose to go with Panam and the nomads, but I couldn't as I betrayed Panam during the game... and I didn't get the choice at the end, but he still said those lines.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone notice how the main Twitter account has been uncharacteristically quiet since the game's launch? They only ever tweet out patch notes and no longer respond to tweets or post any other kind of content.

As of this writing, their last tweet was on Feb 5th, announcing the hotfix patch notes.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone notice how the main Twitter account has been uncharacteristically quiet since the game's launch? They only ever tweet out patch notes and no longer answer respond to tweets or post any other kind of content.

As of this post, their last tweet was on Feb 5th, announcing the hotfix patch notes.
I think it's for the best. NMS style. Stop social media and PR, just work on the game and tweet when you have something the community wants to hear.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone notice how the main Twitter account has been uncharacteristically quiet since the game's launch? They only ever tweet out patch notes and no longer respond to tweets or post any other kind of content.

As of this writing, their last tweet was on Feb 5th, announcing the hotfix patch notes.

They had a photo contest in January, but I don't think I've seen results of who won.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it last night. Really enjoyed it, but really didn't need those stupid blue events around the city, they added nothing except a bit of a dull end game grind. I think the endings show just how much better the game would have been with 3rd person cut scenes like in the early trailers and the Witcher. Glad that the endings were all so varied though, really didn't expect them to put so much effort into them.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody else get the sense that examining multiple opposing political viewpoints is a running theme of some Eastern (Central) European games? Maybe I just haven't played enough of them but I've noticed that Cyberpunk, Witcher 1, Witcher 2, STALKER, and Metro all do this. I guess Disco Elysium counts since its makers are from Hungary (I think). Is it just a result of that part of the world having been bounced back and forth between Nazis and Soviets over the course of the 20th century?

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I finally finished one ending path of the game and honestly I'm just blown away by the story telling in the game. This quest to save yourself and the will to live is certainly very Human. I loved Witcher for sure, but I like this more grounded Universe where the monsters are all human with our near-level technology, unless you count A.I.

I managed to get the "secret" ending
where basically everyone of your allies lives, and boy did it feel incredible walking into Arasaka completely Solo with Johnny ready to roll with you for one last ride. It made me grin like an idiot and say, "Let's do this." I was already at max level at that point with Legendary weapons and hacking abilities, so it felt like grinding that far really paid off.
Up to that point in the game I had completed the game Non-Lethally and complete Stealth but decided to go crazy with the Katana, Guns, and Hacking (Legendary System Reboot, Cripple, Reboot Optics, Shock, Weapon Glitch).

I'm kind of bummed though because I feel like the conversation around this game is rather mum. I absolutely want there to be sequels to this new IP of theirs, the end of the game seems to be
open-ended on what happens to V and maybe its wish fulfillment but I want He or She's story to continue; to be a living legend within their century. The idea of perhaps even being reborn from spending time in the Net and inhabiting/being reborn into new bodies/shells seems entirely plausible in this universe, or they are least approaching that level very soon in the way Ghost in The Shell had figured out in that Universe. It would give them an excuse in the Sequel for the player to create whatever look like they want like ME2, but still sort of be "V" if "that" ending becomes canon.

I would certainly hope CDRed explore another Witcher too, but eventually they are going to reach a zenith with that Universe with nothing left to do. Cyberpunk on the other hand, as their new IP, is completely open to explore and improve upon. Literally the entire Globe, Multiple countries, and Space. This game had a rough landing, but I kind of expected that for their new IP, it kind of gives them the chance to improve the systems/gameplay for more possibilities down the road, and makes me hopeful that will be the case. Does anyone else feel this way? I really don't want this to be the last and only Cyberpunk, its the closest I have ever seen to an new advanced Deus Ex or GITS game of my dreams :(.

Just as a couple examples for gameplay, I would love it if a sequel made hacking even more GiTs like where you can hack somebody and control their body (and if they have a weapon, to use it how you see fit). And an actual ability to go into the Net/Cyberspace, instead of only seen in a quest line.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
The writing is still amazing

I agree, I get what LiquidSolid is saying though. The design flaws and bugs I saw (I played on PC), but what kept pulling me in to finish this game was mainly and purely the interactions with characters in the game and their quests. I know that's not a super great selling point, but if they were to get something right I'm glad it was those things. I also liked the hacking and gunplay.

From my previous post above this, I don't think Cyberpunk is out of this world Galaxy Level best ever, but I do think its a start to something they can build on. Witcher 1 wasn't the greatest at the time of its release, but it is sort of a 'gem' classic, and by the 3rd time around they hit their stride with that Universe because they were comfortable with it, along with the type of Gameplay Design they were going for. I think this new IP of theirs gives them a chance to build upon it and make that Cyberpunk 2, or 3 "goty" (hopefully within the decade).

I definitely don't want this to be the last Cyberpunk, because the potential is there.

Last edited:

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Very interesting analysis from the Senior Animator at Sony Santa Monica. Could never articulate to this degree what made the game's interactions feel unlike anything I've seen in a game. Its a long thread but worth reading through with examples.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
For the Cyberpunk "GOTY contender" discussion, are people aware that it has won multiple GOTY:s? Didn't do much worse than Ghost of Tsushima did. Many Japanese devs seemed to love it too. https://www.resetera.com/threads/4g...ey-were-impressed-by-the-most-in-2020.351865/
Quite clearly it was a contender, even in the condition it is and was released.
Does anybody else get the sense that examining multiple opposing political viewpoints is a running theme of some Eastern (Central) European games? Maybe I just haven't played enough of them but I've noticed that Cyberpunk, Witcher 1, Witcher 2, STALKER, and Metro all do this. I guess Disco Elysium counts since its makers are from Hungary (I think). Is it just a result of that part of the world having been bounced back and forth between Nazis and Soviets over the course of the 20th century?
Studio ZauM (Disco) are mainly Estonian. What might help with exploring multiple different political viewpoints, is not living a country with two party system. I think it probably gives more space for nuance and depth.
Very interesting analysis from the Senior Animator at Sony Santa Monica. Could never articulate to this degree what made the game's interactions feel unlike anything I've seen in a game. Its a long thread but worth reading through with examples.

Yup, this is the stuff I want other devs to take notes from. Thanks for sharing the Twitter thread, it's always interesting to read detailed takes like that from industry professionals.

Last edited:

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
The world, level design, skills, and tech trees are all among my favorites in gaming... No wait, I can't possibly feel that way, liquidsolid says so.

Some skills are good, but some literally do nothing - like the living shield one that is most likely a remnant of a mechanic that was cut. It seems like some of the perks do nothing or are intended for underused (or unused) mechanics. Those that do work are fun, though.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. Full thoughts on the game: https://noplatform.wordpress.com/20...problems-is-just-another-aaa-open-world-game/

Some of the characters and writing are really good and on PC the graphics look really dope sometimes, but honestly I didn't see a whole lot that put it over other open-world games, not like what I got in Witcher 3. A lot of it comes down to personal preference though really.

It doesn't have absolutely nothing to say about its themes, but the game's loyal to a certain era of cyberpunk does kinda hold it back compared to some more recent cyberpunk works.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Excellent thread, and a great example of what this game does really well. The first person perspective is absolutely vital to the game, I'm really put off by people clamouring for it to be third person.

Ok. Full thoughts on the game: https://noplatform.wordpress.com/20...problems-is-just-another-aaa-open-world-game/

Some of the characters and writing are really good and on PC the graphics look really dope sometimes, but honestly I didn't see a whole lot that put it over other open-world games, not like what I got in Witcher 3. A lot of it comes down to personal preference though really.

It doesn't have absolutely nothing to say about its themes, but the game's loyal to a certain era of cyberpunk does kinda hold it back compared to some more recent cyberpunk works.

Thanks for your thoughts! I probably enjoyed it a bit more than you (especially because I could build a Motoko Kusanagi character as you mentioned!), but I really appreciate that you noted it's loyalty to that original era of cyberpunk.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Also, Lego Judy. Saw it on reddit, u/Sidmich.

1mvnh0vt8ii61.jpg