• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
ady4lasgl9661.jpg

romey

Mar 2, 2020
You know what. There's some good things about this game. Can't wait to jump back in while on xmas break.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
lmao this is probably the first time ive seen DF clickbait like this. That rt off pic is hilariously misrepresenting reality.

Did you watch the video? He clearly replicates that - are you saying it doesn't actually look like that? It's not just a single screen cap in an odd state that looks like that, he explains the how and why the scene looks like that throughout the car ride.

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
I find this surprising, the video basically confirmed everything for me. Switching the PS5 to SDR got rid of the ever present haze for me and drastically improved contrast to the point where SDR actually looks like it's HDR, not the other way around.

With CA off, Motion Blur off, Film Grain off, SDR in game and on PS5, Gamma at 1.10 it looks like a new game to me. Reflections, colors and contrast are way better, making it even look like it got a significant resolution and texture bump.

The HDR solution in this game has always been clearly broken, this solution completely removed any visual muddiness and colors pop way more for me on a calibrated x900h. Now it looks not far off ray-traced interiors in Miles Morales.
I honestly think it all depend on the tv. Really hard to compare with different tv & settings. I also had amazing results with my setting. I only turned off CA though. Gotta test with film grain and motion blur.

For exemple this is one screenshot I took

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I honestly think it all depend on the tv. Really hard to compare with different tv & settings. I also had amazing results with my setting. I only turned off CA though. Gotta test with film grain and motion blur.

For exemple this is one screenshot I took

Screenshot mode has always looked good for me, regardless of settings, with that said even those neon signs in that shot look washed out and overexposed but that could be a result of the photo editor. In motion though it was ugly as hell compared to games with good HDR implementations. The lifted blacks completely destroyed any contrast and sharpness of the overall image, then many things were also overexposed, it reminded me of trying to watch a movie on the cheapest HDR set you could find 5 years ago. An issue that wasn't present on any other content on my TV.

I'm not sure if the lifted blacks were an aesthetic choice now, it appears to be far more a technical limitation given the way it performs with some settings turned off, ones that should have the opposite impact. You'd expected lifted blacks and less dynamic range in SDR, not HDR.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
The HDR solution in this game has always been clearly broken, this solution completely removed any visual muddiness and colors pop way more for me on a calibrated x900h. Now it looks not far off ray-traced interiors in Miles Morales.

I guess I'm the only one playing with HDR on. The highlights and neon lights definitely look nicer and brighter on my OLED, and there is also the option to dim the UI which is good because most of it is red (and red gets burned-in the easiest, and even though I'm not worried about burn-in, it's still good for a peace of mind).

The darks are a bit more gray but overall I like the look. Then again, I always like HDR even when people here are trying to convince me it's wrong - like in Destiny 2. If I listen to Era, every HDR is broken for some reason :) And while I definitely see that HDR in CP has issues, I still prefer the look of the game with it turned on.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Is that the religious prisoner guy? I think I screwed that questline then as I ignored the next mission call from Rachel as I didn't really like that quest. but to be fair I thought you could do it later.
yeah, it sucks.

you're hired to kill the guy, and you chase him in a car with the client. once you catch up, a cop gets out and shoots the client, and you just forget about the client and go with him? it's so abrupt and poorly written. I went with him because I was so confused but after like one line of dialogue I hated the guy and wanted to kill him, but I can't now because the game doesn't want me to any more.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I guess I'm the only one playing with HDR on. The highlights and neon lights definitely look nicer and brighter on my OLED, and there is also the option to dim the UI which is good because most of it is red (and red gets burned-in the easiest, and even though I'm not worried about burn-in, it's still good for a peace of mind).

The darks are a bit more gray but overall I like the look. Then again, I always like HDR even when people here are trying to convince me it's wrong - like in Destiny 2. If I listen to Era, every HDR is broken for some reason :) And while I definitely see that HDR in CP has issues, I still prefer the look of the game with it turned on.
Have you tried turning it off on the console itself and not just in game? There is a drastic difference between the two.

I always play with HDR on all games, except this one. This isn't just speculation it's backed by data provided by Vincent on calibrated equipment.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Did you watch the video? He clearly replicates that - are you saying it doesn't actually look like that? It's not just a single screen cap in an odd state that looks like that, he explains the how and why the scene looks like that throughout the car ride.

Yes, I watched. I stated it misrepresents reality, not that it's fake.
The difference in general is nowhere near that dramatic, even during the car ride, and the game without RT lighting isn't flat as a cardboard - the non RT lighting is actually top notch as well.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Have you tried turning it off on the console itself and not just in game? There is a drastic difference between the two.

I always play with HDR on all games, except this one. This isn't just speculation it's backed by data provided by Vincent on calibrated equipment.

Vincent provides data with calibrated equipment that basically tells the correct image is always a darker, more boring option because it preserves some minuscule detail in one highlight or another and it's closer to the vision of the director or something. Era's TV thread is all about "professional calibration" and asking "what the correct setting is" while I'm like - I choose what looks best to me. I don't remember a recent game that didn't have broken HDR according to Era, and I'm not even exaggerating (and I'm not saying it's not true, it's just - better that I don't know :)

I know Vincent is probably right, not debating that - but I definitely have more fun when I choose what looks nicer to my eyes rather then listening to his equipment. He even said in his PS5 video how Dynamic Tone Mapping provides a brighter more lively image that some people prefer.... but HGIG is the way to go because it's what it should look like. One would think having fun is not the goal of entertainment.

Anyway, respect Vincent, his knowledge and his videos (really I do), but I like what I like.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Vincent provides data with calibrated equipment that basically tells the correct image is always a darker, more boring option because it preserves some minuscule detail in one highlight or another and it's closer to the vision of the director or something. Era's TV thread is all about "professional calibration" and asking "what the correct setting is" while I'm like - I choose what looks best to me. I don't remember a recent game that didn't have broken HDR according to Era, and I'm not even exaggerating (and I'm not saying it's not true, it's just - better that I don't know :)

I know Vincent is probably right, not debating that - but I definitely have more fun when I choose what looks nicer to my eyes rather then listening to his equipment. He even said in his PS5 video how Dynamic Tone Mapping provides a brighter more lively image that some people prefer.... but HGIG is the way to go because it's what it should look like. One would think having fun is not the goal of entertainment.

Anyway, respect Vincent, his knowledge and his videos (really I do), but I like what I like.
I don't disagree with that. I'm just simply asking you if you tried turning it off directly in the PS5 settings and not the game. SDR and HDR settings in the game look quite similar to my eye, turning it off on the PS5 was a massive difference.

Ultimately everyone is going to have their own preferences but it actually makes it look like it gets a major resolution bump using this method IMO.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
I agree, the music in this game is totally on point and some of the best I've heard in a long time, really fits the universe well too.

My favorite song is probably this;

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
So now that the game has been out for a while and the dust has settled a bit, give it to me straight - is Cyberpunk worth playing on a PS5 or should I just get a refund and wait for the game to be fixed/upgraded? I have a physical copy still sealed, so getting my money back shouldn't be a problem, but part of me is undeniably still interested in playing the game. However, it's difficult to ignore the endless chatter regarding how much of an unfinished product it is on consoles at this point.

tldr: worth playing on a PS5?

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
So now that the game has been out for a while and the dust has settled a bit, give it to me straight - is Cyberpunk worth playing on a PS5 or should I just get a refund and wait for the game to be fixed/upgraded? I have a physical copy still sealed, so getting my money back shouldn't be a problem, but part of me is undeniably still interested in playing the game. However, it's difficult to ignore the endless chatter regarding how much of an unfinished product it is on consoles at this point.

If you don't mind bugs and need something to play at this moment, it's fine. Though waiting for the next gen update is probably the more prudent thing.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

Assuming it plays the same as it does on XSX you can play it and enjoy it. Haven't came across anything game breaking. There has been no weird like bodies just floating away or anything. I had one weird drift in the training course. Besides that it's more than playable (imo) on next gen systems.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I've been messing around with ReShade and it does make a huge difference to me
Off
1091500_2020122115130npj5o.png

On
1091500_202012211513076jl4.png

For anyone with NVidia cards, you can mess around with the GeForce experience filters (Alt + F3) to achieve similar results. You can also use ReShade filters directly within the panel as well.

Personally, I usually just use the sharpen and contrast filters to get my desired results.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This mission with Grimes' side quest was lame af. Surely that can't be the end? She looked so interesting.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
If Cyberpunk devs strike, resulting in delayed/canceled patches and additional game content, would you be upset?

The harsh reality of AAA development is that it practically requires crunch in this day and age. Given that Cyberpunk's issues are so prevalent in the media today, I think that the CDPR devs have legs to be able to strike, sending a message to the rest of the gaming industry.

How would yall feel about this?

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
For anyone with NVidia cards, you can mess around with the GeForce experience filters (Alt + F3) to achieve similar results. You can also use ReShade filters directly within the panel as well.

Personally, I usually just use the sharpen and contrast filters to get my desired results.
I find ReShade a lot simpler and easier to configure, but yes

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I am so bad at this game lol.

Enter room with a bunch of baddies, try to quick hack, ping, breach....etc Stealth kill 1 guy, someone sees me then massacre 50 other guys lol.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
It is so bizarre that the first time you go the Lizzie's, workers there give you a whole pitch about the hottest braindance. There are even 2 lines of dialogue for you to choose from as well. But you can't watch any bd in-game 😂 Considering vendors also sell you bd copies and they are all "incompatible with the hardware" I am going to assume watching these freak bds were planned but scrapped during development.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
If Cyberpunk devs strike, resulting in delayed/canceled patches and additional game content, would you be upset?

The harsh reality of AAA development is that it practically requires crunch in this day and age. Given that Cyberpunk's issues are so prevalent in the media today, I think that the CDPR devs have legs to be able to strike, sending a message to the rest of the gaming industry.

It would be good for gaming but personally I'd be sad to wait more for patches and the expansions and multiplayer of course. If it actually works and makes gaming a better place for devs it would be fantastic but I doubt it will actually work. Naughty Dog and Rockstar devs among others would have to do it with them, and maybe Ubisoft as well.

I can wait though. I already beat the game and am cleaning up the map. Are there any hints of a real strike though?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Personally I wouldn't be mad. The game should've been delayed even longer (not that this absolves CDPR's knack for broken promises and their PR team is awful). Whatever needs to be done to make this game better, then do it. I don't want to be a part of the fan base trying to put pressure on a workplace already experiencing crunch.

But if you're still playing this game, even with the controversy it's been getting and STILL haven't opted for a refund, I'm assuming you're willing to deal with this shitty performance. You may as well wait for optimized patches while you're at it.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I can wait though. I already beat the game and am cleaning up the map. Are there any hints of a real strike though?
Nope, I'm just thinking. I feel like this would be a good opportunity for gaming developers to be able to change the landscape a bit, considering the public outrage based on crunch.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Just had my first crash on PC today, after a dialogue scene bugged out on me. That's 40 hours in, though, so not too bad.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yes, I watched. I stated it misrepresents reality, not that it's fake.
The difference in general is nowhere near that dramatic, even during the car ride, and the game without RT lighting isn't flat as a cardboard - the non RT lighting is actually top notch as well.

How does it misrepresent it if that is actually what it looks like in that car ride?

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what. There's some good things about this game. Can't wait to jump back in while on xmas break.
I agree- it actually feels like Mass Effect Andromeda in a way. When you're in the moment-to-moment gameplay of the main story quests it's actually all right, but when you're doing open world stuff the whole fucking thing falls apart. IMO this game would have been better (for players and CDPR) were it linear.