• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I made a topic earlier that was deleted due to the excess amount of CP2077 topics, so I figured I'd bring that topic here to have the question answered.

It seems that much of the criticism of the game is warranted, but there are still some who claim that despite the bugs, the game is still an innovative and impressive game to go through.

What does Cyberpunk innovate or excel at?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I made a topic earlier that was deleted due to the excess amount of CP2077 topics, so I figured I'd bring that topic here to have the question answered.

It seems that much of the criticism of the game is warranted, but there are still some who claim that despite the bugs, the game is still an innovative and impressive game to go through.

It doesn't innovate in anything. It excels in crafting interesting characters, music, character/weapon/vehicle modelling, world aesthetics, first person animations and the main missions/side jobs are incredibly engaging.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Bruh. Game patches on my PS5, I notice it resets all my settings (I'm already used to noticing when it happens right off the intro screen which is sad). I fix my settings, can't leave the menu. Just great.

Oh so I have to restart my game, and then once I'm in the setting are reset to default because they are corrupted. And then I'm stuck in the menu again. Great. JUST GREAT.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
It doesn't innovate in anything. It excels in crafting interesting characters, music, character/weapon/vehicle modelling, world aesthetics, first person animations and the main missions/side jobs are incredibly engaging.
I would say bringing all that together is no easy task and is innovation in itself.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Bruh. Game patches on my PS5, I notice it resets all my settings (I'm already used to noticing when it happens right off the intro screen which is sad). I fix my settings, can't leave the menu. Just great.
I had the same exact glitch, when I restarted the game it told me my settings save file was corrupted so it probably is an issue with handshaking from the file between versions.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I would say bringing all that together is no easy task and is innovation in itself.

By that token you could argue that trying to bring all those things together is the reason why there's so many other aspects of the game that are dire too. It's not really innovative to me either way because something like RDR 2 did the sam thing minus character models and with about a quarter of the bugs.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Jumped into the chemical plant that you're not supposed to get inside

6D26b78.png

Cyberpunk 64

They really need to gate it off better lol
I am weird, waiting for textures to load is one off the most offense bugs a game can have. Like razors to the eyes

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Is it just me, or does Performance mode have the same image quality as Quality mode on XSX after the patch? I took two screenshots back-to-back in different modes, and I can't tell the difference. Before, Performance mode was WAY too muddy for me. But now, seems like there's really no reason to run Quality mode.
How is the crowd density on Performance now on Series X? I can't check myself. In quality mode the density is as high as the highest mode on PC. It is really night and day difference between Quality and Performance prior to this patch.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017

It doesn't really innovate. It's literally set in a famous table top RPG universe and uses some of its mechanics as well as the mechanics of basically every other game in the genre. I don't think it excels at anything either, but it's the first to attempt a full open world city like this. I gotta give them that, though I'm a bit biased cause I love the setting and stories that can come from it.

I hope they release full mod tools so we can make this the game we truly want.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017

I just started Act II, so I'm not insanely far into the game. But here's my impressions:

I don't think there's very much innovative or revolutionary about it at all. But, when Cyberpunk is firing on cylinders, it's really quite good. I know some people here don't care for the edgy and occasionally juvenile dialogue, but I think it fits the world well, and I've found the dialogue scenes to be some of the best parts of the game. All of the later missions in Act 1 had me riveted. There are nowhere near as many meaningful choices as I would have liked, but they feel really good when they do show up. I was able to skip a boss entirely thanks to a skill check, and it felt great. It also has one of the best world designs I've ever seen. I could just drive around Night City looking at stuff all day.

Where the game starts to tear at the seams (outside of the technical bugs) is in the open world and systems surrounding the missions and quests. The loot system is absolutely awful. I'm convinced there's no reason for it to be there other than some suit saw Borderlands and Destiny and Fortnite and the recent Assassins Creed games and decided that the kids liked loot systems nowadays, so it needed to be in there for mass appeal. And it hurts the combat because it makes a lot of enemies feel like bullet sponges if you haven't kept your gear up to date. Not only is this a pet peeve of mine personally, but it also goes against the source material. In the TTRPG, combat is highly lethal to just about any character. Perks for upgrading are boring, "do ten percent more damage" type stuff. Most of the open world activities are filler so far (though I've been told side jobs can get quite good). And you can't really blow it all off because you need to build up "Street Cred" in order to unlock more content.

I think if CDPR had cut a lot of the filler content and the loot system, focused on populating Night City with a smaller amount of more meaningful quest lines, and really fleshed out the choices you had in those quest lines, this game would have completely lived up to the hype. Because when it's doing those things, it's really, really good. That's where it excels. It also probably would have made the project more focused and maybe they wouldn't have had such development woes.

Just my thoughts so far!

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
How is the crowd density on Performance now on Series X? I can't check myself. In quality mode the density is as high as the highest mode on PC. It is really night and day difference between Quality and Performance prior to this patch.
Hmm, hadn't checked the crowd density. I'll do that. But here's the pics.

They look REALLY really close in IQ to my eyes. Looks like one has ambient occlusion while the other does not. And maybe one has slightly better anti-aliasing.

Anyhow, they're close enough for me that I don't need to suffer at 30fps any more.

Aug 4, 2020
Progressed through Act 2 some.
Finished the Voodoo boys mission and got Johnny's backstory (or what he thinks it is according to Alt). The boss fight in the mall was too easy with the sword.

Also Evelyn's storyline is just depressing. Guess we'll go on a revenge quest with Judy now.

Paid off Viktor and now I can see all the cool shit he has for sale. Can't afford much though. What jobs give the most money because I don't want to resort to the money glitch?

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
By that token you could argue that trying to bring all those things together is the reason why there's so many other aspects of the game that are dire too. It's not really innovative to me either way because something like RDR 2 did the sam thing minus character models and with about a quarter of the bugs.

RDR2 is a masterpiece, but it's not the same thing. It's actually far more impressive to me than Cyberpunk since it's got so many systems it's gotta keep track of. A city like Night City with RDR2's level of AI, mechanics and physics is my dream. I'm sure we won't see something like that for years.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I think if CDPR had cut a lot of the filler content and the loot system, focused on populating Night City with a smaller amount of more meaningful quest lines, and really fleshed out the choices you had in those quest lines, this game would have completely lived up to the hype. Because when it's doing those things, it's really, really good. That's where it excels. It also probably would have made the project more focused and maybe they wouldn't have had such development woes.

Just my thoughts so far!
This excerpt of your post really speaks to me! Fuck.

Why do game devs feel the need to make their game the biggest fucking thing of all time? What happened to focused experiences?

It doesn't even have to be THAT focused, it can still be appealing as a big game without having to be fucking GTA. And it doesn't have to be like Last of Us either in its linearity.

Advertise your damn game as a the one RPG willing to go small because you care about the quality of your world and storytelling above being an open world game, idk. CDPR seem to have thought about many good ideas with this game, but did not know how to marry them.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I can't think of an area where the game innovates, unfortunately. This certainly isn't The Witcher 3, which I believe is still the gold standard of WRPGs.

At the same time though, I think the game excels at building great characters with a really stunning world. I wish there was more to actually do in said world, but boy, it's a pleasure to take it all in. I keep coming back to it for these reasons; beneath all of these bugs and performance issues lies a pretty great game IMO.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
RDR2 is a masterpiece, but it's not the same thing. It's actually far more impressive to me than Cyberpunk since it's got so many systems it's gotta keep track of. A city like Night City with RDR2's level of AI, mechanics and physics is my dream. I'm sure we won't see something like that for years.

That's pretty much my point, RDR 2 already did most of the stuff I'm praising Cyberpunk for whilst having much better AI, a far livelier open world and drastically more polish.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017

I wouldn't say it is innovative, but it is certainly very difficult to do and quite impressive. For all of the games shortcomings, CDPR still managed to do some pretty amazing work with this title. Similar to Red Dead Redemption 2 bring a lot of all of that same stuff together but still controlling like absolute shit.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
That's pretty much my point, RDR 2 already did most of the stuff I'm praising Cyberpunk for whilst having much better AI, a far livelier open world and drastically more polish.

Whoops. I forgot to say that RDR2 didn't have to render a whole Cyberpunk city though. But still, RDR2 runs like butter and the image quality is breathtaking even on my dated PC.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017

Oh so I have to restart my game, and then once I'm in the setting are reset to default because they are corrupted. And then I'm stuck in the menu again. Great. JUST GREAT.

Makes me want to hold off on the new patch then.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, please tell me there's an outfit in this that looks like K's jacket from Blade Runner. Please, I need it

t8rnq2M.jpg

Deleted member 31140

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I don't really know what attributes to level up. Which one do you guys recommended that I go for? Right now I have 4 in everything except technical ability, which is 6.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know what attributes to level up. Which one do you guys recommended that I go for? Right now I have 4 in everything except technical ability, which is 6.

I'm in the same position. Thinking of just dumping all my points to Reflex so I can get a legendary mod that can slow down time for 16s

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has been one of those rare RPGs where I'm kinda just putting points into everything. Maybe some others disagree, but I don't see a ton of value in min-maxing.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
This excerpt of your post really speaks to me! Fuck.

Why do game devs feel the need to make their game the biggest fucking thing of all time? What happened to focused experiences?

It doesn't even have to be THAT focused, it can still be appealing as a big game without having to be fucking GTA. And it doesn't have to be like Last of Us either in its linearity.

Advertise your damn game as a the one RPG willing to go small because you care about the quality of your world and storytelling above being an open world game, idk. CDPR seem to have thought about many good ideas with this game, but did not know how to marry them.
It doesn't even need to be small. An open world populated with a fair amount of impactful quests isn't a small undertaking.

I feel like the game just can't decide whether it wasn't to be a Ubisoft-esque open world action game, or a crafted RPG.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017

nothing but thats okay too. They promised the world and didn't deliver on that aspect HOWEVA as a person who generally could jive with the fantasy or post apoc worlds of the fallout or skyrims of the worlds. This is right up my alley in terms of settings and world. I am having fun just being V the Merc and just roaming around the world for now....which sans the crashes the "issues" have not ruined it for me.

I liken it to the recent Pokemon games of all things. Sword and Sheild are stupid flawed; GF makes too much money to be that far behind; yadda yaada yadda....all valid complaints and worth bringing up BUT at the end of the day, I can still go on a Pokemon adventure; build a team and beat the gym leaders....and even after all this time...that is still compelling enough for me each time.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't fix things for others but to me personally life is too short to spend as much time as many do being mad over a videogame not being up to your standards. The Avengers is one of the worst games I have paid for in a looong time IMO. It made being the Hulk feel weak FFS...but I'm not going to spend more effort being upset about it online either. Thats time I'd rather spend enjoying other shit IMO.

So like Pokemon; I just realize that others would rather spend that effort trying to reach the devs via criticism and thats ho9w the discourse will live for a while....which is also very much valid and I hope that CDPR learns big time from this games failures and uses this to make a better game and not fuck up like this again. Just like I hope SE can turn around the avengers...

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
This has been one of those rare RPGs where I'm kinda just putting points into everything. Maybe some others disagree, but I don't see a ton of value in min-maxing.
Well... putting a bunch into tech let's you open doors which is a pretty big deal. That's the only one I can see someone focusing on like crazy even though it's still kinda dumb

Mediking

Hey, I LOVE this game. The first person immersion is insane and combat is fun to me. I love how things get super tense but then a heart warming moment happens. The dialogue choices are cool. I have complaints but I love the game really.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Works in any medium that innovate are rare. That should never be the bar for a game. Not being "innovative" shouldn't be held up as a negative either. Something a game/movie/book/etc. just makes a slick-as-hell wheel. (Cyberpunk doesn't do either though)

The one place where I think Cyberpunk doesn't innovate but rather improves upon exceptionally well is its presentation of conversation. The liveliness of NPCs in dialogue, while integrating you into the conversation, letting you crosstalk between multiple people, etc. is the new benchmark for that style in WRPGs IMO.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm having serious storage issues and I have no idea what is taking up so much space.

I have no guns, melee weapons, or clothes in my inventory other than what is equipped. I've sold all my junk. And yet my inventory is 286/390, meaning picking up just a few weapons and items easily puts me over the limit again.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
kotaku.com

Cyberpunk 2077 Third-Person Bug Reveals V Is A Shambling Monstrosity

Cyberpunk 2077 is a disaster that the executives at CD Projekt knew full well was going to crash and burn. That said, one of its numerous bugs has the benefit of giving players what they’ve asked for since the game’s long-ago 2012 reveal: a third-person mode.

Didn't know you were playing as a Silent Hill monster.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
On series X, 60+ hours with no crashes. Downloaded the patch and not only did I crash it shut the entire console off.

I've also put in about 60 hours on Series X. Haven't tried 1.05, but my one and only crash happened on 1.04 - and it fully shut off the system (which also resulted in my controller losing sync). It was terrifying.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well... putting a bunch into tech let's you open doors which is a pretty big deal. That's the only one I can see someone focusing on like crazy even though it's still kinda dumb
Great point, I would say tech is the best of the bunch if you had focus on one area. I think one of the cool pros of splitting points out evenly too are the extra dialogue options that become available.

Works in any medium that innovate are rare. That should never be the bar for a game. Not being "innovative" shouldn't be held up as a negative either. Something a game/movie/book/etc. just makes a slick-as-hell wheel. (Cyberpunk doesn't do either though)

The one place where I think Cyberpunk doesn't innovate but rather improves upon exceptionally well is its presentation of conversation. The liveliness of NPCs in dialogue, while integrating you into the conversation, letting you crosstalk between multiple people, etc. is the new benchmark for that style in WRPGs IMO.
Very well said. I tried describing this concept to my friends, but couldn't get the point across.

DigitalT

Oct 27, 2017
I put basically all of them into body cause I like to punch people.

But in all seriousness, you need to choose a playstyle and then allocate attribute points accordingly. Don't spend them willy-nilly, you can't respec later.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017

I brought this up earlier. CDPR has a talent for making conversations very engaging. It plays in everything about an interaction when you are talking to someone. The music choice, the space they decide to put you in, the pace of the dialogue. It is very hard to describe but it is very noticeable when you are playing. It was the same in The Witcher 3 and they managed to do it here even in an unbroken first person view.

Mediking

Facts. The first person conversation scenes are amazing and engrossing and so immersive to me
Great point, I would say tech is the best of the bunch if you had focus on one area. I think one of the cool pros of splitting points out evenly too are the extra dialogue options that become available.

Very well said. I tried describing this concept to my friends, but couldn't get the point across.
Mmmhm. And sometimes having that extra dialogue option can change everything.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Impressions of new patch on PS5. Besides the bug where you cannot exit the menu settings, everything else is good.

HDR looks much better now, not as washed out, and now I'm using it. Before I had it off. Much improved!

Performance is the city where you exit your appartment and meet up with Jackie the first time is now rock solid 60fps. As a matter of fact, I spent 15 minutes walking around that area and zero drops or hitches like before.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Wow they fixed the Jackie bug that almost killed my playthrough. At least they're working fast.

Facts. The first person conversation scenes are amazing and engrossing and so immersive to me
Yeah, going back to try and finish Valhalla and that game feels uglier and jankier after playing Cyberpunk. The presentation of the story missions is first party levels of polish in terms of animation.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
kotaku.com

Cyberpunk 2077 Third-Person Bug Reveals V Is A Shambling Monstrosity

Cyberpunk 2077 is a disaster that the executives at CD Projekt knew full well was going to crash and burn. That said, one of its numerous bugs has the benefit of giving players what they’ve asked for since the game’s long-ago 2012 reveal: a third-person mode.

Didn't know you were playing as a Silent Hill monster.
We're not. Not entirely.

And the animations can be swapped on the fly for other character animations according to the comments, so even what looks weird here can be remedied.