• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Judy is becoming my favourite side character of all time the more I play. One of the most believable characters I've ever seen in a game.

That's the deal with this game. Jackie, Judy, panam, even keanu (johnny) even though it's kind of dumb I care about them. That's rare as hell honestly in the entire medium.

I was kind of starting to feel pretty tight with eivor in AC (the player character) but honestly I don't remember a single other character name from the game right now other than eivor and I just played it like 3 days ago and have 30hrs into it lol.

Cdpr does know what the hell they are doing in terms of character design as I still remember yennifer, ciri, and triss and those arent like some normal ass names and I haven't touched W3 in months.

Rdr2 all I remember is fucking arthur. Seriously.

Last edited:

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
So I don't understand quick comparing stats on the ground.

I'm wearing underwear that have 17.6 armor. The pants on the ground that say 19.8 have a red down arrow.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the quick compare (at least outside the inventory screen) is broken. I'll see an item with a green arrow, pick it up, go into my inventory and find out it's way worse than what I'm wearing. And in the inventory screen it will properly show the red down arrow.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone let me know, without large spoilers if possible, what future options not to pick to stay in Panam's favor?

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the quick compare (at least outside the inventory screen) is broken. I'll see an item with a green arrow, pick it up, go into my inventory and find out it's way worse than what I'm wearing. And in the inventory screen it will properly show the red down arrow.

Agreed, I think it's backwards maybe. The inventory screen has been correct.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
a e s t e t i c

Hri4oAg.png

nLdQk0N.png

Also duning around in the desert. I wish they made it bigger and made it so you could do races in the canyon - would remind me of Motorstorm and Mad Max.

I love the vehicles in this game. Excuse my awful shop on the image - the game renders little to no dust in the game and photomode

lD9nJzo.png

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I am the dumbest person on the planet. How did I not realise this after 70 hours of game time.

xeh81emz0s561.jpg

It's a Ghost in a Shell

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone let me know, without large spoilers if possible, what future options not to pick to stay in Panam's favor?

Always pick her side vs saul and always be as forward as possible basically. They make it pretty obvious tbh.

Also don't tell saul jack shit of that makes sense. Hopefully that isn't spoilerly. It shouldn't be imo.

Basically keep it tight with panam you wanna chill with panam.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's admittedly bit weird to see Cyberpunk grilled so hard for not being enough like New Vegas and in the other hand for not being enough like GTA/RDR in the same thread. Of course people have their own personal wishes and expectations what they want from a game, that is obvious. I guess it's mostly the tone and attitude that bothers me a bit in the discussion. It's how things like not having enough mini-games, not enough branching story paths are presented as something completely unacceptable. It's like it should excel as an open world action game and (proper) CRPG at the same time (being like horizon zero dawn doesn't cut it), almost as if it needs to do better in all areas than the milestone games of their respective genres.

Though I also expected much more of roleplaying possibilities than the Witcher 3, because of the source material and not having an established character as the player avatar. In some aspects there are, but overall I was still expecting bit more. Especially from the lifepaths, as even corpo V comes of as a street kid. Also by the voice perfomances and direction. It has considerably lessened my excitement for a second run. But this doesn't mean I can't appreciate the things the game does have and also do it well. I'd like a haircut too, but it doesn't really make any difference to the quality of the game. Getting in-game haircuts isn't some must have feature like subtitles and remappable controls are.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
So I don't understand quick comparing stats on the ground.

I'm wearing underwear that have 17.6 armor. The pants on the ground that say 19.8 have a red down arrow.

My stats once said -1783 DPS in the Character Stats window and it confused the fuck out of me.

Sometimes when I check my stash all the stats on weapons say 0 also. So weird.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's admittedly bit weird to see Cyberpunk grilled so hard for not being enough like New Vegas and in the other hand for not being enough like GTA/RDR in the same thread. Of course people have their own personal wishes and expectations what they want from a game, that is obvious. I guess it's mostly the tone and attitude that bothers me a bit in the discussion. It's how things like not having enough mini-games, not enough branching story paths are presented as something completely unacceptable. It's like it should excel as an open world action game and (proper) CRPG at the same time (being like horizon zero dawn doesn't cut it), almost as if it needs to do better in all areas than the milestone games of their respective genres.

Though I also expected much more of roleplaying possibilities than the Witcher 3, because of the source material and not having an established character as the player avatar. In some aspects there are, but overall I was still expecting bit more. Especially from the lifepaths, as even corpo V comes of as a street kid. Also by the voice perfomances and direction. It has considerably lessened my excitement for a second run. But this doesn't mean I can't appreciate the things the game does have and also do it well. I'd like a haircut too, but it doesn't really make any difference to the quality of the game. Getting in-game haircuts isn't some must have feature like subtitles and remappable controls are.

What's actually interesting based on other folks impressions is I think nomad gels the most with the overall game. Like the nomad dialog options and all the panam stuff which is honestly a huge segment of the game, your relationship with everyone as kind of an outsider but building your rep, then once you have the rep people kind of know you as a badass. The whole intro section makes sense with Jakie and your relationship with Jackie. Like I have zero issues with the intro section, it's actually great, and then mainly the panam segments it really opens up a lot if you're a nomad, just the conversations with folks. I kinda think that was meant to be the main opening. Everything makes sense.

Like it just all clicks.

Just my 2 cents.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Always pick her side vs saul and always be as forward as possible basically. They make it pretty obvious tbh.

Also don't tell saul jack shit of that makes sense. Hopefully that isn't spoilerly. It shouldn't be imo.

Basically keep it tight with panam you wanna chill with panam.
Not too spoilerly at all. Thanks! I really appreciate your write-up.

Aug 4, 2020
I regret triggering that car recovery side mission. I'm just trying to ride around do other stuff and dude keeps calling me about his cars locations. Not like already have a dozen other phones calls, msgs and pop ups. Just gets annoying.

Also blades are fun but OP as fuck. Just slicing my way through entire shootouts.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I regret triggering that car recovery side mission. I'm just trying to ride around do other stuff and dude keeps calling me about his cars locations. Not like already have a dozen other phones calls, msgs and pop ups. Just gets annoying.

Also blades are fun but OP as fuck. Just slicing my way through entire shootouts.
Hah yeah, it was annoying. Though I'm happy that I fully did the mission even while bothered by the constant calls, really liked the story around it. Has super funny easter egg too.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta give this game credit. Mixing up styles throughout the playthrough has been addicting. I started out as a katana /stealth user, then I changed to hand to hand w/ grenade launcher, now I'm going tech weapon / aggressive hacking.

Tech revolvers are OP. Haha. I stay outside the building and pick off everybody inside.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm - I'm not sure if anyone else has seen this, but there's a config in the game files that says "Multiplayer"

3f888b0f9100135b4d4ef2aac6ca483d.png

A little while ago CDPR confirmed there was a multiplayer component being built that would launch separately. It dates all the way back to when the game was first announced and CDPR were hiring for multiplayer designers.

I dunno. Half thinking it'll all get scrapped.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there no way to just have no current mission? If I wanna drive around and do stuff it's annoying to have mission info and map info up

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not too spoilerly at all. Thanks! I really appreciate your write-up.

Same time I think there is some balance with her clan. When I say back her vs saul I dont mean tell her to stay away from her clan. Like it'll be more mission specific when you are backing her vs saul vs like texts and such of that helps.
Edit see this is where this game actually is kinda tricky as I think to get panams clan backing you do sort of have to do certain things to get the "good ending" like to get panam AND her clan to be cool with you I think there's a pretty specific path

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A little while ago CDPR confirmed there was a multiplayer component being built that would launch separately. It dates all the way back to when the game was first announced and CDPR were hiring for multiplayer designers.

Ah, I see. I didn't know about that. I did a blackout on this game until buying it.

Knowing how buggy and feature-less offline is, I couldn't imagine an online version.. kind of crazy they even considered making a multiplayer.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

I think it gets scrapped too. I'm sure they were hoping to spin off something like GTA online but I think that ship has sailed. I expect they will support Cyberpunk 2077 for another 18 month's ish to smooth things over as much as possible but it's going to be all hands on deck for The Witcher 4 ASAP.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017

Neat I can get random strangers to roleplay a car chase with me since I can't get one in this next gen game.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Am I the only one that would prefer a Cyberpunk sequel to a Witcher 4?

I need more V.
Geralt > V. Though I absolutely want to see what they cook up for the CP77 expansions, having high expectations on those. After that I'm ready for more Witcher and will happily revisit Night City too at later date. Or maybe some other location in the Cyberpunk universe.

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018

I think a lot of the backlash has to do with them giving people false expectations going in.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Rockstar has unlimited crunch too and they took 7 years on RDR 2 and they have about 4x as many devs working on it with a seemingly endless budget coming off of GTA V. Yes, Cyberpunk does not have the AI interactions of even GTA 3, that is clear. The game is also doing things that Rockstar does not, it has more gameplay freedom within missions, it's an RPG, better writing, combat is much better. Rockstar was already becoming boring to me by the time Red Dead Redemption came around even though that did have some strengths to it and it's only gotten worse following that. Also, a lot of the places that Rockstar creates are modeled off of real places, at least with Night City this is a place that doesn't exist, the world design is remarkable and better than anything Rockstar has ever done, it's just the AI that lags way behind along with a really buggy launch.

no one asked CDPR to make a game of the scale and scope that they were clearly way out of their depth to do so. It was their own decision, and then they started marketing it. People expected way more based on said marketing, because they promised way more. It's simple as that. Actual half decent AI is just one thing.

Like at this point i feel like bringing up numbers to justify that CDPR doesnt have the resources is just laughable given the game has been delisted off PSN by sony. They were the ones that decided to release it on those platforms, they weren't held at gunpoint. They knowingly put out versions of the game which were basically unplayable. A little more than "buggy" I would say.

www.gameinformer.com

Cyberpunk 2077 Aims To Be As Polished As Red Dead Redemption II At Launch

CD Projekt Red says that Red Dead Redemption II inspires the team to publish "extraordinary games."

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Am I the only one that would prefer a Cyberpunk sequel to a Witcher 4?

I need more V.
Absolutely, I much prefer the Cyberpunk setting over the medieval fantasy setting in Witcher. I am not really a fan of the medieval fantasy genre in general. The fact that I am even a fan of the Witcher franchise is honestly a testament to how great the game actually is.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Entering into other people's humble abode and stealing all their items makes me wish it had a system similar to Skyrim. Nobody bats an eye here.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
no one asked CDPR to make a game of the scale and scope that they were clearly way out of their depth to do so. It was their own decision, and then they started marketing it. People expected way more based on said marketing, because they promised way more. It's simple as that. Actual half decent AI is just one thing.

Like at this point i feel like bringing up numbers to justify that CDPR doesnt have the resources is just laughable given the game has been delisted off PSN by sony. They were the ones that decided to release it on those platforms, they weren't held at gunpoint. They knowingly put out versions of the game which were basically unplayable. A little more than "buggy" I would say.
I wouldn't say they were out of their depth. It's like you're completely forgetting that they made the Witcher games. The game was released too soon, which is compounded by the fact that they announced the game long before they should have. That said, the blame for this situation lies solely at the feet of management, and the executives / investors who pressured them to get this out in time for the holiday. They could (and should) have delayed this again.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Entering into other people's humble abode and stealing all their items makes me wish it had a system similar to Skyrim. Nobody bats an eye here.
On the other hand, so many people just have so many rolled up wads of dollar bills sitting out on public tables that they clearly don't seem to care that much about the security of their goods.

It's a really weird design standpoint overall. Especially when everyone transfers eurodollars digitally in game, so why are so many people just leaving physical money around?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like most of these characters, detective River is great. The Hunt might be a top tier side quest.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the other hand, so many people just have so many rolled up wads of dollar bills sitting out on public tables that they clearly don't seem to care that much about the security of their goods.

It's really weird design standpoint overall. Especially when everyone transfers eurodollars digitally in game, so why are so many people just leaving physical money around?

I think they really meant to implement a steal mechanic but ran out of time for launch.

Or, it was there, but broken, just like random stuff you can't pick up is broken. Might even be connected. Like they tried to delete the steal mechanic on everything but it didn't apply to everything thus it's just an item sitting there you can't pick up. Who knows.

W3 definitely has it inns/taverns/stores at least in terms of the owner seeing you or posted gaurds/hostiles who aren't necessarily hostile unless you start stealing shit and they see you.

But yeah iirc out in the woods it didn't matter, like a house out in the woods even if there was an npc there, which makes sense as what the fuck are they gonna do.

Last edited:

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think they really meant to implement a steal mechanic but ran out of time for launch.
Yeah, that would make sense. A lot of the placement wouldn't make sense otherwise, but it wouldn't explain a lot other placements outside of blatant "it's right there, just take it" temptations, though I suppose other games have done that as well.

But I bet you're right, that it was a part of a theft system that probably got cut. There's a lot of points in the game that have evidence of likely being cut content and features, even outside of things promised in Cyberpunk videos that never made fruition in the final release.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

www.gameinformer.com

Cyberpunk 2077 Aims To Be As Polished As Red Dead Redemption II At Launch

CD Projekt Red says that Red Dead Redemption II inspires the team to publish "extraordinary games."

I'm referring to the PC version not the broken base PS4 version besides that a lot of what you're writing here doesn't seem very applicable to my post. Clearly CDPR promised more than they could deliver with the AI.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or does this game a crazy workout for CPUs? My 5800x with a Dark Rock Pro 4 is at a pretty consistent 75~80c in this game. Only stress test make my CPU get that high.