• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm working hard to avoid spoilers, so I apologize if this has been talked about already. Can someone please summarize for me the difference between the Series X and PS5 versions? Which one is recommended?

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Trying again
Ok, so I'm more or less at the start of Act 2. I've completed a couple of sidequests, but now I can't do shit because it seems like everyone can one-shot me it and my guns deal pitiful damage. Is this a bug or is the game balanced this way?

Aug 4, 2020
Just finished the heist and got to Act 2. Tried stealth a bit then just grabbed a shotgun and blasted my way through the level.

RIP Jackie and T Bug. Already lost your crew. I guess it makes sense cause Keanu is taking over now.

Digging the characters so far but the pacing isn't that great.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
Mine is 46 street cred. I've just been dealing with the initial cyber deck for the 40 hours I've been playing. But having so many options now has made combat so much more versatile.

Best Deck I've found so far was sold the ripperdoc next to the pumping station
Netwatch Netdriver MK.5, 30% Damage, Uploads to 3 people that are clustered together, and the spread helps with a legendary ping in just sneak hack killing everyone. If you can get your crit rate up you can just sneak hack an entire encounter without moving once.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else encounter a glitch where V's voice audio is extremely low compared to all the normal volume of other characters and sounds?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm working hard to avoid spoilers, so I apologize if this has been talked about already. Can someone please summarize for me the difference between the Series X and PS5 versions? Which one is recommended?
Series X seems to be the best choice right now since it has the option to choose between quality mode @30fps or performance @ 60fps. PS5 version only has performance mode. Check the DF video explaining the differences.

EDIT: Oops, sorry for the ping :|

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I hope for is some interactivity with the world and NPCs like being able to rob them. (as an example)

This just doesn't make sense to me with how CDPR does their player characters. V is a little more blank slate than Geralt does but at the end of the day they still come off as fundamentally good. To the point where it already seems kind of wrong to me that the player can just jack people out of cars. Having a robbing mechanic or similar just seems antithetical to this character. Maybe it's just me though.

Does the gunplay and general combat system seem like the sort of thing which can be dialed in via patches over time, or does that strike folks as beyond the reach of the engine?

I think the gunplay and combat is actually pretty good once you get better weapons or cybermods. Once I got access to Tech and Smart weapons I've been having a blast with the combat. The combat AI definitely needs to be improved and that's probably reasonably feasible to patch compared to, say, the open world reactive AI.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
It's odd that the interlude chapter let you do post kill gibs but in the rest of the game enemies are immune to further dismemberment after you kill them.

Not sure if that's a console optimization tho

*goes on a watch list*

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
This just doesn't make sense to me with how CDPR does their player characters. V is a little more blank slate than Geralt does but at the end of the day they still come off as fundamentally good. To the point where it already seems kind of wrong to me that the player can just jack people out of cars. Having a robbing mechanic or similar just seems antithetical to this character. Maybe it's just me though.
It isn't just you I was exactly the same way with the carjacking. I've only done it once and I never run over pedestrians.

Hexcalibur

Jun 24, 2020
It is kinda funny, I did come into this expecting V to be more of a uh, edgy dickhead or some such. Pleasant surprise tbh, well at least the way I play em.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
I'm nearly done clearing all the big side storylines and will soon get into the endgame.

I wanted to wait to finish to game to post my thoughts.

So until then, I'd like to make one thing perfectly clear:

PANAM >>>>>>>>>>>>> Judy

Panam is basically a spoiled brat compared to Judy. She had it easy with the nomads, she complains about Saul so much it's like she is an obsessive rebel without a cause.

I mean I DO LIKE her, but don't you throw my Judy under a bus.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Okay seriously the driving physics in this game suck. The fact there is a whole side-gig for racing in this game is crazy considering how bad it is. However, Claire is such a good character and man.... that was hard to pick the ending for that gig... I feel bad for both sides of it...

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the heist and got to Act 2. Tried stealth a bit then just grabbed a shotgun and blasted my way through the level.

RIP Jackie and T Bug. Already lost your crew. I guess it makes sense cause Keanu is taking over now.

Digging the characters so far but the pacing isn't that great.

Just got to act two myself. Really feels like the montage at the beginning was supposed to be playable. Would have made sense for the pacing.
T-Bug died? I thought she just got disconnected.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Best Deck I've found so far was sold the ripperdoc next to the pumping station
Netwatch Netdriver MK.5, 30% Damage, Uploads to 3 people that are clustered together, and the spread helps with a legendary ping in just sneak hack killing everyone. If you can get your crit rate up you can just sneak hack an entire encounter without moving once.

I need to start looking at the actual details rather than just the color of the item. I'll keep an eye out for this one.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
This is the AI behavior on PC that I experience

I really, really hope CDPR can bring the low end versions at least a little closer in line to what PC players get.

ornery

Nov 15, 2017
Since I can't get a refund, I think I'll shelve this until we get a proper update. At that point, I'll probably just restart entirely

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It is kinda funny, I did come into this expecting V to be more of a uh, edgy dickhead or some such. Pleasant surprise tbh, well at least the way I play em.
You can be a hardass but you always have a heart. I like it. Went Nomad so that fit with my head canon of her seeing herself in outcasts and underdogs, even more so with her current situation

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That pedestrian stuff is funny but like.... just don't do that lol. People shooting in the air and doing 360s then going to twitter like

tenor.gif

its kinda annoying people acting like they the first to discover some of this stuff. Like, everyone has been playing this game and everyone knows already and cdpr surely knows. Show me something new.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
I got a bug that perma fucked my audio, i cant hear any major voices outside of V.

Cant even hear my own car noises.

Restarting my XSX and redownloading the game didnt fix it, this game went from a 7 to 6.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Just a heads up in case anyone have the same problem. During the mission "The Sacados" you can (i don't know if it happens to everyone) get a softlock black screen if you are using the AMD fix, so have a backup of the original exe.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I fell asleep and didn't get to play.
Except I just did a quick job.

Manual save, and it's in 24 time dating is 18:20 on 12/15?

It's 12:43a on 12/16.

Uh?

I'm so confused because I don't think I played 18 hours.

But then that doesn't explain why it still says 12/15 and 4:54p when it's still the next day.

I think it might have gone wrong during the day because there's a 4:14 save when I wasn't playing.

I quit and reloaded and all my times are fixed. Maybe quick resume messed things up. I still don't feel like 18 hours is right. I'm at the beginning of act 2 and haven't done much.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

I guess it was just seeing footage out of context pre-release but I definitely went into the game with the impression that the cast was made up of a bunch of edgelord assholes. Instead I was shocked that I took a liking to pretty much everyone almost instantly in the context of the game (except for those you clearly aren't supposed to like): Jackie, T-Bug, Victor, Misty, Judy, Claire, etc.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it was just seeing footage out of context pre-release but I definitely went into the game with the impression that the cast was made up of a bunch of edgelord assholes. Instead I was shocked that I took a liking to pretty much everyone almost instantly in the context of the game (except for those you clearly aren't supposed to like): Jackie, T-Bug, Victor, Misty, Judy, Claire, etc.
Really enjoying the main side characters/allies. The character animation and voice acting are so good; Judy's my favorite so far, the friendship that develops between her and V feels the most natural out of everyone else

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
The romance stuff is whack. All "romancable" characters have very flirty dialogue even if they end up not being sexually/romantically compatible with your character. They literally throw themselves as at you, only to turn you down at the very last minute.

Honestly, I assume that, given the other massive corners that were cut, the NPC's (at least sometimes) have 'stock' dialogue during all their quests (which includes flirting), until you go out of your way to hit the 'rejection' dialogue, like female V with Panam - I imagine it's the exact same flirty dialogue as male V in the desert/sandstorm house, right up until the 'touch thigh' or 'one bed?' option comes up and she shoots you down.

That being said, I do think I remember hearing that Judy has some 'hell no'-esque dialogue if you're playing male V, but I'm not sure if that actually 'interrupts/replaces' the otherwise flirty dialogue, or is the 'rejection' equivalent that would replace her responding more positively to female V.

V is rough because of the world they are in but in reality... V is a good person pushed to do things all for the name of glory and STREET CRED

Yeah, I mostly agree - you can be an asshole, but rarely, if ever, 'evil'.

Which then makes the 'corpo' path even weirder - at least with street kid and nomad you have more feasibility of being a 'good person' forced into the solo/merc life.

With corpo you were a giant part of the evil cog in the machine (to the point where you insinuate that you've killed people as part of missions for Arasaka), but I don't think I've had one corpo lifepath dialgoue that really 'allows' for V to express regret - there's regret at being kicked out, but it only toes the line of actually regretting what happened, at least so far.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying the main side characters/allies. The character animation and voice acting are so good; Judy's my favorite so far, the friendship that develops between her and V feels the most natural out of everyone else

In the end I shouldn't be surprised because CDPR nailed this aspect in all three Witcher games but the pre-release stuff just did not give a good impression to me. Even the voice acting seemed off to me out of context but totally works in game.

Does the gunplay and general combat system seem like the sort of thing which can be dialed in via patches over time, or does that strike folks as beyond the reach of the engine?

I'm playing Nomad and it seems to fit like a glove with the personality options given during dialogue. I can see it also working as Street Kid.

But Corpo? It's just hard for me to come up with a mental conception of V where that fits what we see after the prologue.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I am talking about them disappearing

They need to fundamentally look at how NPCs behave in totality, whether they're combatants or just filler NPCs walking around. Both of them are buggy and I doubt it has anything to do with a power situation, as it's clear they just scaled back the number of NPCs on the old consoles to mitigate the horribad CPUs. Yeah the PC is a better experience because on the high end more power will make the culling less noticeable but it's still not good enough to refrain from being immersion breaking.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
This is what I was talking about with CDPR and their talent from "directing" conversations. They find a way to make them look captivating, and draw you in, even in first person. It was something that always impressed me about The Witcher 3. This is out of context but I guess can be considered a spoiler. It is just a pic of a conversation with a one off character and Johnny standing in the background.

131890374_5395487677131882_8481149819335097830_n.png

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Series X seems to be the best choice right now since it has the option to choose between quality mode @30fps or performance @ 60fps. PS5 version only has performance mode. Check the DF video explaining the differences.

EDIT: Oops, sorry for the ping :|
Series S and Series X seem like the definitive console versions. PS5 is seems like it doesn't have the high crowds from pc which Xbox does.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely go with the Series X version.

DF says: "Lighting LOD also appears to be pushed back" on Series X - is that a good thing?

Wow, these quotes make Series X the clear choice for me over PS5:

"Crowd density and vehicle counts are significantly higher on Xbox consoles when compared to PlayStation 5"

"Meanwhile, if you're happy with 30 frames per second, the premium Xbox offers the best visual quality by quite some margin [inserted from article: 1512p to 1728p range compared to 972p to 1188p range on PS5] along with additional graphical effects [such as ambient occlusion] and vehicle/NPC density."

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I was talking about with CDPR and their talent from "directing" conversations. They find a way to make them look captivating, and draw you in, even in first person. It was something that always impressed me about The Witcher 3. This is out of context but I guess can be considered a spoiler. It is just a pic of a conversation with a one off character and Johnny standing in the background.

131890374_5395487677131882_8481149819335097830_n.png
It's honestly the best and most polished aspect of the game. The way conversations organically move through a space, from standing to sitting, integrating actions like drinking or cross-talk with multiple characters, having people doing actions and walking around a room while talking with you. I can't think of any open-world/hub RPG that inject liveliness into conversations with such detail and nuance.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
In the end I shouldn't be surprised because CDPR nailed this aspect in all three Witcher games but the pre-release stuff just did not give a good impression to me. Even the voice acting seemed off to me out of context but totally works in game.

I'm playing Nomad and it seems to fit like a glove with the personality options given during dialogue. I can see it also working as Street Kid.

But Corpo? It's just hard for me to come up with a mental conception of V where that fits what we see after the prologue.

I can see Corpo V as the "hitman" on the way he was presented like Taka.. my issue with Corpo V is how he talks. I'm trying so hard to make him sound "professional" but his dialogue options, language, and vocabulary makes him to be more in line with Street Kid or Nomad.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly the best polished part of the game. The way conversations organically move through a space, from standing to sitting, integrating actions like drinking or cross-talk with multiple characters, having people doing actions and walking around a room while talking with you. I can't think of any open-world/hub RPG that inject liveliness into conversations with such detail and nuance.

Makes me wish there was some sort of equivalent of Deus Ex's Conversation Boss Battles or even something like LA Noire's interviews. These are good enough that it feels like you could make good character judgments based on facial expression, body language, etc.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I can see Corpo V as the "hitman" on the way he was presented like Taka.. my issue with Corpo V is how he talks. I'm trying so hard to make him sound "professional" but his dialogue options, language, and vocabulary makes him to be more in line with Street Kid or Nomad.
I'm curious, does Corpo V get extra dialogue choices when entering the Plaza in the Heist mission?

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Do you need a lot of points for intelligence and cool to unlock certain dialogue options or just a few points here and there?