• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
E4FkN0B.gif

Tech* rifles giving me flashbacks to Perfect Dark's Farsight

Last edited:

mueske

Apr 11, 2019
The romance stuff is whack. All "romancable" characters have very flirty dialogue even if they end up not being sexually/romantically compatible with your character. They literally throw themselves as at you, only to turn you down at the very last minute.

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
Beat it. As someone who has consumed a ton of the cyberpunk genre throughout my life, the story wasn't anything out of the ordinary, but still cool nonetheless. I will come back and do the side stuff and just roam the city when they get things in better shape.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Uh turns out a friend of mine still wanted my copy for PS4 Pro despite the shitty state of it so at least I got rid of this turd without too much of a loss.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Anyone know how to get rid of crafted Johnny gear? I made a blue and a purple... then made a gold. Can't drop or disassemble or sell the other stuff. =O

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Is there an attachment that lets you shoot through walls? His can. Multiple layers too. Or can you wallbang with any gun?

I'll test that out for you and get back to you on what I find. I'm only using revolvers/pistols.

Update : Tech weapons seem to go through walls if you charge them, revolvers go through thin stuff, but not walls.

Last edited:

billiam

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if this has been asked, I've checked several pages here and there in the thread. I just got to Lizzie's in the main quest.

There's a lot of locked doors. I have had some opportunities to either use a technical or hack skill to open. But still a lot are locked without any prompt offered.

Should I expect the ability to lockpick at some point, or are skill unlocks more abundant later? Or are all these locked doors going to remain locked?

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
So there are some tech weapons whose ability is to penetrate walls AND curve around corners? Cool. Guess I'll keep my eye out for tech weapons cause I wanna do a rail gun build.
I think there's 3 variations of gun -- power, smart, and tech. Power richochets, smart autoaims (will have a UI rectangle pop up instead of a sight when aiming), and tech can charge up and go through walls. Although the tech revolver, the Burya, seems to be bugged and doesn't charge from what I can tell.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's 3 variations of gun -- power, smart, and tech. Power richochets, smart autoaims (will have a UI rectangle pop up instead of a sight when aiming), and tech can charge up and go through walls. Although the tech revolver, the Burya, seems to be bugged and doesn't charge from what I can tell.

Ahhh. Okay I confused smart and tech with each other. Thanks for the clarification.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so I'm more or less at the start of Act 2. I've completed a couple of sidequests, but now I can't do shit because it seems like everyone can one-shot me it and my guns deal pitiful damage. Is this a bug or is the game balanced this way?

Last edited:

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
So there are some tech weapons whose ability is to penetrate walls AND curve around corners? Cool. Guess I'll keep my eye out for tech weapons cause I wanna do a rail gun build.

There are three main ranged types: Power, which allows you to ricochet shots, Tech, which will pierce light cover, and Smart, which will lock onto targets and go around obstacles. Cyberware and Mods, as well as Perks, improve those abilities (and are required to unlock some of them, like the hand slot cyberware Smart Link is required to use Smart firearms lock on ability).

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
This game has issues? Yes... but you can't deny that CDPR continues with their excellence in quests and side quests.

The story arc with

Panam

is one of my favorite things in video games ever. So well done!

I miss Judy in the game, after she left. It's like losing a friend IRL. It's so weird lol
A lot of the characters are fantastic.

The game can often be really bleak given the setting, but there's a surprising amount of heart in V's interactions with other characters (well, some of them at least lol).

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Not sure if this has been asked, I've checked several pages here and there in the thread. I just got to Lizzie's in the main quest.

There's a lot of locked doors. I have had some opportunities to either use a technical or hack skill to open. But still a lot are locked without any prompt offered.

Should I expect the ability to lockpick at some point, or are skill unlocks more abundant later? Or are all these locked doors going to remain locked?

They're fake doors. You can tell because the mini map shows the layout of everything and those doors usually don't have any layout visible on the mini map

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the characters are fantastic.

The game can often be really bleak given the setting, but there's a surprising amount of heart in V's interactions with other characters (well, some of them at least lol).

Barry the neighbor's quest did a lot to endear me to my V early on. And I just finished the Ballad of Buck Ravers, which was fantastic.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
No one talks about the writing enough. It's so by the book, you can tell what a character is going to say and how they will say it from the start of the conversation. No one tried to elevate the material even a little

I'm very early still. Only in act 2 by a little bit but I don't fully agree. Some of it, sure, but definitely not all of it.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
The romance stuff is whack. All "romancable" characters have very flirty dialogue even if they end up not being sexually/romantically compatible with your character. They literally throw themselves as at you, only to turn you down at the very last minute.

Yes. I feel the same. Most characters take a liking to you way too fast considering how rough and cuthroat Night City is portrayed to be.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Huge tweet thread from a dev about the certification process, that I thought some might be interested given recent shenanigans around this game.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
Has anyone else finished the street racing quest chain with Claire from the Afterlife? I'm 99% sure they dropped a line about how she had transitioned but I accidentally skipped it so I wasn't sure.

Also what the actual hell with the "They won't go when I go" quest chain. I am legit shocked they actually made this. I cannot process what just actually happened.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone else finished the street racing quest chain with Claire from the Afterlife? I'm 99% sure they dropped a line about how she had transitioned but I accidentally skipped it so I wasn't sure.

Also what the actual hell with the "They won't go when I go" quest chain. I am legit shocked they actually made this. I cannot process what just actually happened.
First off, spoiler, secondly, no, they didn't cut it.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Upgraded my cyber deck from the vanilla one to the golden one got like...7 new slots for quick hacking. Let's go. Lol.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Upgraded my cyber deck from the vanilla one to the golden one got like...7 new slots for quick hacking. Let's go. Lol.

I'm not sure what your street cred is, but I think that determines which decks the ripperdocs sell. I went from the basic one you start with to a 25k Epic one (I think it unlocked at 25 Street Cred) and the gameplay opened up considerably just because of the added ram/slots.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what your street cred is, but I think that determines which decks the ripperdocs sell. I went from the basic one you start with to a 25k Epic one (I think it unlocked at 25 Street Cred) and the gameplay opened up considerably just because of the added ram/slots.

Mine is 46 street cred. I've just been dealing with the initial cyber deck for the 40 hours I've been playing. But having so many options now has made combat so much more versatile.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
It's more likely that they didn't have enough time/capacity to implement what they wanted and the current solution(s) are last minute bandaids to have something for launch.

I still wonder if they will add some of the missing promised/scrapped features.

Customization for cars and apartment, buying new apartments, flying drones outside of missions, subway and so on and so on.

Reddit actually made a list with promised features that were scrapped or are missong from the game.
Alot of them could be added with DLC.
Even hanging on the wall with mantis blades or wallrunning. Since they would introduce new missions it is not like they would need to restructure all the current missions. They would know if a new ability would break any of the current missions I guess.

The one thing I hope for is some interactivity with the world and NPCs like being able to rob them. (as an example)
I remember True Crime where you could go for every pedestrian and check them for drugs or weapons and then arrest them. Even if it would be repetitive it still gives the world some interactivity.
I know this isnt a GTA-style game but also Saints Row had somehing like this. If you entered a car with a passenger you could start a hostage situation and scare them to raise the ransom.
Or you could just jump on a moving car and start car surfing which worked basically like grinding in the Tony Hawk games.
Not that these things would work in the CP setting but what I am trying to tell is that these things made the world alot more interessting and interactive because NPCs actually were involved in gameplay mechanics and not just some random AI that is very limited in its actions like it is the case atm.

And a mini-game. How can the company tha made a complete game within a game with Gwent not have at least a small scaled mini-game in CP?!

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Does the gunplay and general combat system seem like the sort of thing which can be dialed in via patches over time, or does that strike folks as beyond the reach of the engine?