• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
So i decided to take a break from the story missions today and just dick around and explore the city I can't believe how many different levels there are to the roads and buildings. It's really insane how much went into the design. The interactivity may be shallow but the city's layout is worth it just to explore the sights

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit the implications of the "Dream On"-side quests are HUGE. O_o
Now that's some fucked up Cyberpunk shit.

Sidequests are top-tier content and should probably considered main quests. (only lack of choices is really bumming me about them).

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Checking in again to see if anyone found a faster way to level up Athletics. I'm a jumping, climbing, punching, sprinting fool... and I'm at 5.5 out of 11 (my current max in Body). All my other stats are maxed to their respective stat level. I'm like 60 hours in... it goes so slooooooooooow.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Really proud of the 3rd picture on the first tweet. I love taking pictures on this game.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Having a blast with the game. 10 hours in. Enjoying more and more and loving how it looks. There's jank and minor bugs, it did BSOD my PC once but I am thinking I was OCing my 3080 too aggressively. Turned it down a bit and haven't had issues.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Criticisms and gripes aside, I'm 40 hours in and have been enjoying Act 2 a lot more than the opening. NPCs are great. I am really interested in River Ward's arc. Side quests have been top notch. More engaging than V's own story in the main quest.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's such a damn shame they released the console versions on the state that they're in. Because there actually is a lot to like with this game, even if NPC AI isn't one of those things. The world itself is superb. My points of comparison from modern open world games would be GTA5, Mafia 3, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Phantom Pain, The Division, and Ghost Recon: WL. this is by far my favorite open world to explore.Cyberpunk's world is well designed for exploration and for alternative routes in missions, including all the shit you can hack and use to do other shenanigans with. Most notably it's beautiful to look at, there's so much so see. From little details to huge towering buildings. And that same detail continues to the character designs, their animations are also clearly above average compared to other open world games.

And while CP77 isn't the first or only open world game with first person perspective, I don't think any other of those games utilize it so well. I think the first person view is also one factor why there is this rather nice natural flow to the conversations. We still so often only have these talking heads, but here the dialogue scenes are visually interesting too. Partly because you're usually not completely locked into them either. But you can look or even walk around, change who to talk to mid conversation, take a sip of courage before making a move towards your love interest and so on.

I can easily find many things from the game where it excels at compared to it's peers. Still the fact remains, that the game shouldn't have been released at this state. But like mentioned in the thread, the corpos didn't want to lose their biggest sales window. My own experience on Stadia has been near flawless though, minus some non game breaking bugs and visual glitches obviously.

I pretty much agree with all of this. There is really a mind numbing amount of unique content in the game. The amount of unique set dressing and effort that went into even a single room in a Gig is tremendous. I'm a huge fan of games that tell a story just looking at a room and it's decoration and they just did a standout job here. Every location has the same level of attention to detail as the main quest. The side gigs are incredibly varied and never feel like a cookie cutter bandit camp generator in something like a recent AC game (and I"m a huge fan of AC).

If you like scripted content versus emergent world and are lucky enough to have a good PC then it can be a really incredible experience. But that doesn't excuse the very justified disappointment regarding representation in the game, the shoddy console release, or those just looking for an emergent GTA-style sandbox.

Though on the last point Cyberpunk does a far, far better job at letting you use different play styles in the main missions compared to the recent GTAs and RDR 2. Cyberpunk's missions are actually less scripted than Rockstar's output in that respect.

I'll get to rejoin the city tonight again.

And again decide between main line or exploring and side stuff.

But exploring and side stuff seems against the mainline and its urgency.

FWIW the story does stop once or twice to make you earn money to progress. I've used that as a natural, in-game justification to do some gigs to make some cash.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I just want to throw something out there in regards to why CP2077 is an open world game and not a more linear/focused narrative.

This is merely speculative, but I'm pretty sure CDPR wanted to make this game the next GTAV online. There are so many buildings/apartments places to go that can be filled out with other sidequests/new character trees/new lives that I believe they made this game as a "base" to build upon. It makes sense considering they mentioned expansion packs as big as W3s and multiplayer. I wouldn't be surprised if they had corporation/land wars, co-op heists, gangs and other stuff added on to make it bigger than what is here. Call me crazy, but it has been in the back of my mind since about 20 hours in.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
A version of the game purposefully hidden from view and review until the game was out. And obvious lies and assurances of its performance on PS4/XBO. For a game announced before PS4 was even officially announced.
If the game was meant only for 2-3k+ PCs, what do you think their sales outlook for this game would be?

Also, there are plenty of games on these systems that are actually gorgeous and do not have these problems. You could argue all day that Night City is denser than those games, or whatever, but I'm just going to reply with 8.5 years.

Not going to defend anything related to the console version of this game. They deserve to be taken to task for releasing that shit. As far as other games doing more with AI, I can't call it. Night City is a big part of it I am sure.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Night City is just gorgeous.

1jwQr4F.jpg

auTO3p6.jpg

Gx5FbSn.jpg

It's the game's saving grace. It might be populated with GTA III-era NPCs and disappearing ghost cars, but I've never explored an open world as beautiful and vast in its interior spaces as its outer façade. The environmetal art team deserves all the praise. There are dozens of neighborhoods and unique locations I'd love to revisit in VR. If Ubisoft had eight years to make the next Watch Dogs city, it still wouldn't be as stunning and handcrafted as Night City. It's truly the Deus Ex playground I've always wanted.

I feel so conflicted about liking this game as much as I do given how horrible a company CDPR has proven to be, without even counting the hilariously evil move of knowingly releasing a broken game.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've upgraded my weapons more than 2-3 times since I've started playing. This sniper rifle from Panam has been carrying me the entire game.

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This game is so incredibly good... Have not been taken by a game like this in a very long time if ever.

My photo screenshot folder has just reached 1GB haha Spending so much time just taking in the sights and doing side missions now that in Act 2.

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
It's amazing. And as a huge Radiohead fan it was even better for me. Really glad that they addressed Judy's Pyramid Song tattoo in this small way.
Oh, so that's what she was humming huh. I'm not a big Radiohead fan so I had no idea haha 😅
Seems like every quest is named after a song?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
No one talks about the writing enough. It's so by the book, you can tell what a character is going to say and how they will say it from the start of the conversation. No one tried to elevate the material even a little

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Checking in again to see if anyone found a faster way to level up Athletics. I'm a jumping, climbing, punching, sprinting fool... and I'm at 5.5 out of 11 (my current max in Body). All my other stats are maxed to their respective stat level. I'm like 60 hours in... it goes so slooooooooooow.
Ripping out turrets and opening doors is my main thing to leveling Athletics. It's definitely bugged.

Dodging around and punching seems to go the fastest, but fuck that.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Interesting. How are you ripping them out? I've been jumping like a maniac for the last 20 hours (just running around town doing side quests). It's the slowest thing ever!

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Oh, so that's what she was humming huh. I'm not a big Radiohead fan so I had no idea haha 😅
Seems like every quest is named after a song?
The humming doesn't sound quite like the song, which I thought was weird considering her tattoo and the title of the quest, but maybe that was for legal reasons and such. But take a look at the official video for the song and the lyrics. Lots of similarities.

And yeah, a lot of quests are named after songs. I love it. Read it somewhere that they were supposed to be songs Johnny Silverhand himself enjoyed (which makes sense, considering the journal logs are written by him).

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
No one talks about the writing enough. It's so by the book, you can tell what a character is going to say and how they will say it from the start of the conversation. No one tried to elevate the material even a little

I've only played Act 1.

I disagree, I think that pretty much everything in the main missions has been very natural sounding and not cheesy at all.

I especially like the voice acting of T-Bug, DeShawn, Delamain, Saburo and female V.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
This game has issues? Yes... but you can't deny that CDPR continues with their excellence in quests and side quests.

The story arc with

Panam

is one of my favorite things in video games ever. So well done!

I miss Judy in the game, after she left. It's like losing a friend IRL. It's so weird lol

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Yeah crafting seems pretty broken. I explore a lot and I think I've found like one or 2 blueprints. The rest is stuff you already have just in case you accidentally dismantled something you want back. Upgrades are just entirely mat based...
Upgrades are not substantial enough and require way too much materials. Honestly you're better off selling everything you pick up and buying guns/clothing.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
It's quite hilarious to read the discourse going on about Cyberpunk 2077 in my Twitter feed right now.

Console gamers: OMG this is a complete trash fire. Biggest disappointment ever.
PC gamers: OMG this is the best game ever. Can't believe it lived up to the hype.

Can't say console gamers are wrong given the performance (or lack thereof) on consoles. It's just crazy to see such a huge difference in reaction based on which platform they are playing on.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
What do I need to see the trajectory of ricochets of power weapons?
Or isnt it in the game anymore?

Also tried the Mantisblades and against melee enemies they work great. However against ranged enemies its really hard to use. Especially on higher difficulties.
There should have been a perk to let you block a few bullets so you have the option to close distance between the enemie without them draining half your health.

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
The humming doesn't sound quite like the song, which I thought was weird considering her tattoo and the title of the quest, but maybe that was for legal reasons and such. But take a look at the official video for the song and the lyrics. Lots of similarities.

And yeah, a lot of quests are named after songs. I love it. Read it somewhere that they were supposed to be songs Johnny Silverhand himself enjoyed (which makes sense, considering the journal logs are written by him).

Oh wow that video. That whole quest is a reference to the song, that's really cool
And yes, quests being named after songs because of Johnny makes sense. Speaking of, there's a cool hidden quest about Johnny and his band in the market near Westbrook's megabuilding. The game doesn't point you towards it but it's really nice.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Cyberbug 2020. Was just one shot killed after completing a side quest - is this a common occurrence? Nonetheless, the game is indeed good after the title screen. Lots of tech issues though - I doubt the devs would have ever addressed them all before launch.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Was this posted?

A good thread explaining that somethings that people have claimed are: "Bugs" aren't actually bugs. But just baffling design decisions.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
This game has issues? Yes... but you can't deny that CDPR continues with their excellence in quests and side quests.

The story arc with

Panam

is one of my favorite things in video games ever. So well done!

I miss Judy in the game, after she left. It's like losing a friend IRL. It's so weird lol
I agree and also like how the game doesn't force you into sexual relationships.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Was this posted?

A good thread explaining that somethings that people have claimed are: "Bugs" aren't actually bugs. But just baffling design decisions.

It's more likely that they didn't have enough time/capacity to implement what they wanted and the current solution(s) are last minute bandaids to have something for launch.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Nice. I guess I should have read my arms... which I've had attached for like... 20+ hours. LOL.
You don't need gorilla arms for it, just body.

I made it a statement to not alter my arms, since I have perfectly good healthy arms. Only took implants that "enhanced" me, not replace something.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Finished the main quest tonight with a bunch of unfinished side-jobs. Reloaded 2 times to get 2 other endings (I guess there are more because I am saving certain endgame approaches for subsequent playthroughs). Literally all of them so far have been impactful in some way.

I honestly cannot decide whether I like the 'Johnny survives' ending or the 'Aldecaldos' one better, for different reasons. The fact that Judy appeared in the Aldecaldos ending and joined my female MC made me super happy. Johnny's though... It's pure melancholy. And so good because of it.

What else is good? The credits calls. When you do the suicide ending, the reactions of the characters were fantastic. I felt like I needed a minute to absorb the impact that decision had.

And the fact that all of them feature your character from 3rd person as a cool reveal? *kisses fingers*

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Dammit

I was 1 intelligence short of being able to do the second option on this quest, was really wanting to pick it too :( oh well, will make sure next time!

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
The gunplay on this game feels sooo much better when you turn off controller dead zone settings and "turning delay" option under advanced settings. The game with all the default settings feels soo much sluggish.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God, I can't believe I forgot Porsche modeled a '77 911 into this game. Probably one of the highest detail models of this car in a game at the moment - It actually looks like a rendering at some moments, especially if I crank on RT.

xf02RE6.png

oqIwxNQ.png

FeyiV9b.png

sMgOgIb.png

3IXjeE7.png

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Anyone playing on an ultrawide monitor? I have an issue with photo mode. I cannot use my mouse to go outside what are likely the 1920 bounds, and makes me use arrow keys to use some of the options because of this, anyone have this as well/is there a fix?