• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I mean gaming websites need to join the euro gamer or polygon format but most won't because they rely on clicks from people who only scroll down to see the number and they realize that which is why so many are poorly written fluff pieces. Just really is an unfortunate situation I can't see changing any time soon.

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say I've never experienced a quest like Sinnerman before. Some of these side quests that open up in Act 2 are pretty fantastic.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Without any spoilers, does the game dump you back into the world to finish side quests after the story? Or do / should I plow through the side stuff earlier (I'm in act 2).

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Decided to push through and wrap up the story about 50 hours in, still had like 1/3rd of the side gigs left but honestly I get burnt out on open world games quickly but the fact I was able to push 50 hours into playing this in 5 days should probably say something to the games credit. I played on a really high end PC though so my experience was probably the best possible minus swapping out my 3080 for a 3090 to get like a 10% performance boost at double the price of the GPU.

For bugs, I didn't run into anything game breaking. A bunch of visual stuff but rarely anything that impacted gameplay outside of the side gig Stadium Love. All in all my experience was significantly cleaner than games like Fallout 4 and Skyrim. A few times I had to save and reload but that always cleared up the weird issues I was having (that again were pretty infrequent). For games like these though I always save frequently and keep a rotating list of about 10 saves so if anything explodes horribly I have a safe point to go back to and not lose much. Never had to do that for this game.

There's a lot of really good side gigs out there and I might come back to finish them up once DLC drops if its interesting. There are some busts but a lot of the better moments in the game happen in side content. Almost all my favorite moments in the game are just small character moments in between the action. Unfortunately I didn't feel very attached to the main story, and honestly found it kind of annoying and getting in the way of my enjoyment of the game. Johnny is obnoxious and I just wanted a free and open slate to interact with the world instead of getting tied down to one specific narrative. There was pretty much no way for the plot to resolve in a way I felt satisfying.

The game lacks significant role playing elements, V is a pretty realized character. I'm not a huge fan of this but I never get what I want from AAA games anymore so I didn't really expect anything different. Its Mass Effect-light and you're playing Shepard-light. It sucked in Fallout 4 and it sucks here, but at least Cyberpunk 2077 is not a legacy series that I had any expectations attached to. I also ignore pretty much all pre-release info on video games these days so I didn't really set myself up to be disappointed. It is what it is and thats just the kind of games CDPR makes, you play a specific character in their worlds, I at least liked playing as V significantly more than I like Geralt (or Adam Jensen if you wanna compare to modern Deus Ex).

The best thing about the game for me was the world, and the fact I was playing on a 3080 significantly helps that out. I don't really care about talking to NPCs or breaking down traffic AI, I just liked traveling around the city and seeing the sites. The environment is gorgeous and full of visual details and every part of the city brings something different to the table. The vertical aspect to Night City just blew me away, I pushed 50 hours in 5 days and I still feel like I have no idea how to really traverse the city. It was so overwhelming and I loved it. Driving was a mixed bag, I definitely ran over a few NPCs trying to power slide my car around corners but riding motorcycles felt great. Every once in awhile I enjoyed flipping a sports car over a few times speeding through the city.

Combat and character progression felt really solid to me. I went hacking/crafting/sneak, and got a ton of mileage out of silenced revolvers picking people off at medium range and mixing in various quickhacks. The legendary sniper rifle I made through crafting was the most ridiculous weapon I've ever seen in a game and I was laughing while using it for the first few hours. I wish there was more to crafting than just making a a couple of weapons and clothes though. The entire loop felt great though and kept me looking forward to leveling up the entire game. Never felt like I could get enough experience and I think thats a great thing honestly. Progression never plateaued and I always had something to look forward to.

The console experience seems like a total disaster but the game was well worth playing through on my PC, and its one of the best games I've played all year. Probably sitting at an 85/100 for me right now. Won't be replaying it but I might come back to my V at some point down the road. Panam being straight is gonna haunt me to the end of my days though.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I'll get to rejoin the city tonight again.

And again decide between main line or exploring and side stuff.

But exploring and side stuff seems against the mainline and its urgency.

its probably the most jarring example of it yet. Yes, probably even more so than Mass Effect 3.
It just feels wrong to not do the main quest. But, there's a lot of amazing side quests and character quests, so..

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
A game doesn't need to be revolutionary to be a 9

Yeah that's always my problem with some reviews that think because a game doesn't do anything new or "revolutionary" then it's treated as if that is a negative.

Unfortunately there are some folks out there especially from journalistic point of view that do game reviews will dock points or criticize a game because it did not bring anything new to the table.

Because a new mechanic or a game tries something entirely new / revolution, there is absolutely no guarantee that the new idea would be a good one or pulled off well anyways.

There is nothing wrong with sticking to what works or something try and true proven. In the inverse new ideas have their merits but a new idea isn't a reason to score a game higher. If the mechanic works well and is implemented in a fashion that improves and makes the experience better, then it's worth being praised.

-----------------------------

On a side note. I don't understand folks still push the narrative of no game deserves a 10 because 10 means perfect. There is no such thing as the perfect game, 10 means it's just exceeds in a lot of factors or is outstanding in many regards that overcomes the flaws that do exist. Something that is overwhelmingly positive despite issues. I wouldn't say Cyberpunk fits this category...yet. I have not gotten far enough to make that determination.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
So for players later into the game, how much money is a good amount?

I have been doing this to earn money:
www.thegamer.com

Cyberpunk 2077 Space Oddity - How To Do The Painting Glitch For Fast Eddies

Make a lot of money fast with this glitch in the Space Oddity mission in Cyberpunk 2077.

And kind of think this is the only way to really get to try all the different builds etc as I know many of the items are quite expensive.

Question is, what would people say is the average cost of fun items to use? How much money would people want to getin order to open up the sandbox?

Do the rewards scale up? I.e. will I be earning so much money later on that I am being silly and wasting time doing this now?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Great list, The Last of Us, God of War and MGS3 is all in my top 5 all time.

Those are really, REALLY solid games. Good examples of games where the response at launch was "how was this game even possible?!" and MGS3: S in particular still holds up years later and it's a PS2 game. Just endless depth to that.

Don't sleep on those other two games though.

FFXII is *still* in the upper, upper tier for best written dialogue in a game by a fair margin, if not the best all time. Plot is somewhat subjective but the quality of the writing absolutely isn't. The lore for that game is so massively deep one can dive into the bestiary alone for a couple of hours learning about the flora, fauna, gods, and history of the game and still not learn everything- it does everything Dark Souls did years later with subtle worldbuilding to a far greater degree. On top of that the AI implemented for the gambit system was so ridiculously ahead of its time no JRPG even on PS4 is even close to it. It stomps all over persona 5: Royal and Dragon Quest XI in that department and it is not close. At release the game got criticized for "playing itself" and here we are 14 years later and pretty much every JRPG is using some variant of automated AI scripting for party members- just nowhere near as good. The international version (which can be found on the PS4 version of FFXII:TZA) fixes the one real complaint of FFXII, in that in the original release the ability to have everyone do everything made the game very easy by the endgame. The job system fixes all that and makes it a much more interesting game.

Rockband 1 on the other hand took the formula established by Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II after the Harmonix/RedOctane split and blew minds with how advanced it was. Not only did it ditch the cover bands for all original recordings, it added a true "bass" guitar to the game, drums, vocals via microphones and a weekly DLC program that added a stupidly high amount of songs to the game. Guitar Hero had 47 songs, Guitar Hero II had 64- both mostly covers or super obscure songs by independent bands. Rockband ended up with somewhere around 2000 master recordings from major artists. It was so far past Guitar Hero III in its ambition that the two games aren't even in the same discussion despite releasing the same year. I'd say it's a shame that the "guitar game" genre died out as quickly as it did, but to be completely honest Harmonix did everything you possibly COULD do with that kind of game with Rockband 3- there was nowhere else to go.

Last edited:

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
its probably the most jarring example of it yet. Yes, probably even more so than Mass Effect 3.
It just feels wrong to not do the main quest. But, there's a lot of amazing side quests and character quests, so..

Omg Mass Effect 3 was my comparison.

There was a time limit to save the galaxy from the impending Reaper arrival. Every waking second should have be spent on that accomplishment, instead..

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Not necessarily a bug. Game gave me a 300dps pistol really early that was really OP for a long time on hard but isn't anymore. Eventually that 900dps won't be op.
i've finished the game and 99 percent of the side quests and no range weapon is even close to 900 dps. second highest dps weapon is a shotgun at 600 dps. it's def a bug

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The narrative feels super disjointed sometimes.
Johnny tries to kill V to take over her mind, she's super angry at him, then I get into my car, a Del cab spawns in front of me, hits my car like it's nothing, and V talks to Johnny like he's her best friend.

Honestly, there's nothing that is keeping me hooked so far.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
Well damn. I'm the same except playing digital. Maybe the digital version is the problem.
It has just started to get a lot more crashy for me. It may have related to how far I had progressed in the story, as I had been doing a lot of fucking around without progressing the main quest. After completing the big heist it has been crashing every couple of hours for me!

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Still have yet to upgrade my cyber deck.

GAME-CHANGER, my friend. I went from being able to equip 2 quick-hacks to 7, and it gives you so much more freedom in combat/stealth scenarios.

I'm sitting on 50K (after going broke this morning buying the double-jump) and want to hit up a ripperdoc, what's worth getting? I like to go in blasting, especially with my sniper rifle. I already have a free upgrade from Wakako's doc waiting for me, but I forget what it does.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
The narrative feels super disjointed sometimes.
Johnny tries to kill V to take over her mind, she's super angry at him, then I get into my car, a Del cab spawns in front of me, hits my car like it's nothing, and V talks to Johnny like he's her best friend.

Honestly, there's nothing that is keeping me hooked so far.
interactions with johnny is super awkward throughout the game. even when i chose dialogue options where i'm being friendly with johnny, two seconds later v will automatically say some awful shit to him because v's personality is straight trash

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I've mostly invested my XP and perk points into abilities and passives that improve gun damage and handling, as well as health and armor. I wanted to go for a hacker/stealth build but honestly I found both to be pretty boring in this game, so I'm just going guns blazing.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Kinda strange there are still zero mods to fix the UI stuff in this game, usually those are the first ones made.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Playing this on my Series X from a pre-order I got from Amazon months ago.

First issue was installing the damn thing. I had to swap discs three times, and only 14GB of the total install came from the drive.

Graphics on "fidelity" aren't awful. They're certainly not of the same caliber as the PC release, but they're doing the job. Hope the next gen patch is worth it as RDR2 still keeps the open world crown.

Anyways, played an hour and the nagging feeling of "this will get better" won over. Removed the disc, uninstalled the game, and will play again in the spring. Hopefully by then the next gen patch is available and us early adopters get thrown some additional freebies.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
GAME-CHANGER, my friend. I went from being able to equip 2 quick-hacks to 7, and it gives you so much more freedom in combat/stealth scenarios.

I'm sitting on 50K (after going broke this morning buying the double-jump) and want to hit up a ripperdoc, what's worth getting? I like to go in blasting, especially with my sniper rifle. I already have a free upgrade from Wakako's doc waiting for me, but I forget what it does.

It's next on my list. Ive been using my money on the other upgrades. If you like to go in blasting then the grenade luncher attachment seems to be OP. It's unlimited and there's no cooldown.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Dude the smart pistol that basically shoots 3 homing explosive bullets at a time is so much fun to use! I think it is easy to miss as well since its found in a mission.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Damnit. I was sold on Double Jump last night but reloaded my save and now I'm really digging Charge Jump. Arghhhhhhhh.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked this tag I found on the roof of a Miltech building in Charter Hill. I want way more environmental storytelling through graffiti and street art instead of thousands of stupid text logs I'll never bother to read.

cyberpunk2077_202012162ks1.png

...and there's a really fun mission for Rogue just down the street from it.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Did I miss something?
So get through the prologue thing, lose Jackie and get Johnny, I have thscene where V freaks out and gets into a power struggle with Johnny harassing you to get him a smoke. I decide to do some side quests where occasionally Johnny cones out and you guys are now on more friendly terms talking like the situation is normal... Ummm WTF?
It's jarring.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Did I miss something?
So get through the prologue thing, lose Jackie and get Johnny, I have thscene where V freaks out and gets into a power struggle with Johnny harassing you to get him a smoke. I decide to do some side quests where occasionally Johnny cones out and you guys are now on more friendly terms talking like the situation is normal... Ummm WTF?
It's jarring.

Your brain is basically being over written by his and you eventually adapt to your current circumstances. There is still plenty of conflict between the two throughout the story. Things are just a little weird because of how time is both sped up and slowed down due to the open world nature of the game. You're given both time to adapt to the situation but also do however much side content you want despite there being a time bomb in your head.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That pedestrian stuff is funny but like.... just don't do that lol. People shooting in the air and doing 360s then going to twitter like

tenor.gif

What even is this bootlicking?

"If you turn your character around, you're out to get CDPR!"

Bonus points for using a homophobic trashbag in your gif. Very on brand

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Your brain is basically being over written by his and you eventually adapt to your current circumstances. There is still plenty of conflict between the two throughout the story. Things are just a little weird because of how time is both sped up and slowed down due to the open world nature of the game. You're given both time to adapt to the situation but also do however much side content you want despite there being a time bomb in your head.
If you follow the prompt to collect your car after waking it's super disjointed though as you go from having your head caved in by him and struggling to escape, to just saying "Hey Johnny" the next morning.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I think I stopped playing at like the 11 hour mark. Didn't really do a lot of main story stuff because of how often the game crashes on PS5 and other technical issues. I think I'm going to hold off until February? Hopefully the game is in a better state by then. From what I managed to play, this has been a downgrade from Witcher 3 for me. Probably the most disappointing release this year.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The pedestrian cars come in different colors. Even the same model of vehicle can have different color options but only for the pedestrian models.

Why is it for the Fixer cars we can purchase there is no option to go to an autoshop and change the color. Why isn't this a thing. Especially when one of the taglines for the game is "All style no substance" and yet you can't even apply your own "style" to any of the cars you can buy.

Hopefully in a future update, perhaps. I mean being able to change your clothing and have your own personal look is nice and all, but I'd also like to do the same for my ride.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
This post reminded me to finally go to a ripperdoc and upgrade my cyberdeck from the default one lmao

It was expensive, but the difference is massive. So many more options for stealth and hacking now, I love it.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it fairly easy to be honest. I've got overheat, contagion, and short circuit quick hacks that take people down quick if I can't get close. I also have something that slows down time when spotted, so I can just slip back into cover.

Yep as I've gotten further in the stealth has gotten easier and easier. It was just kind of jarring early game where companion npcs were urging stealth and it would blow really easily and then stealth wouldn't reengage and they were still urging stealth...

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This post reminded me to finally go to a ripperdoc and upgrade my cyberdeck from the default one lmao

It was expensive, but the difference is massive. So many more options for stealth and hacking now, I love it.

Yeah you have to upgrade your cyberdeck for effective hacking/stealth gameplay. Even 4 mods vs 2 makes a big difference.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Does anyone have any advice on cyberdeck upgrades?

I've been playing a stealth hacker type character, and even though I'm well into act 2 I'm still using the starter cyberdeck because everytime I have enough money to upgrade to the next one, I think, 'why spend all this money on the green/blue/purple one, when if I save up just a little bit more I can get the blue/purple/gold one?'

Because of this I've now got the money I need for a gold tier cyberdeck, but I forgot about needing the street cred too, so now I'm kinda stuck. I want to upgrade to something better as I continue to earn the cred I'll need for the gold tier, but I don't want to waste spending a lot of money on it since it's just to hold me over for a couple of levels.
I don't have the game open right now but the ripper on the eastern-most part of the map has a legendary cyberdeck that speeds the upload for quickhacks by 40% or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I hate that sometimes the game is so buggy that I don't know if things are a bug or not. So after completing the mission "
Transmission
" I couldn't call my bike or car, the button was just red lol. Reset the game, I can call my car again. Boy...

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
I'm totally down to grab this on my ps5 Xmas is gonna be boring AF the only thing holding me back is talk about the game crashing is it that bad ?

the bugs I can deal with ,next gen ray tracing ultra pc settings I don't mind not having it

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm totally down to grab this on my ps5 Xmas is gonna be boring AF the only thing holding me back is talk about the game crashing is it that bad ?

the bugs I can deal with ,next gen ray tracing ultra pc settings I don't mind not having it

From everything I've seen it kinda seems like pc or SX is the way to go right now otherwise hold off.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
I have the bug where Dum Dum has been following me all around the city, but he just now got caught in the middle of a gang shootout and was killed. I'm almost going to miss my creepy sidekick.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If you have a good pair of headphones and the Windows 10 creator update, the $15 Dolby Access app for Dolby Atmos sound is a quality upgrade. Sounds wild.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This game has the biggest cognitive gap between main quest urgency and fuck-around-and-do-side-quests that I've seen in a while. It's almost always a thing in games with side activities to an extent, but it's almost comedic given the scenario here.