• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
With people finding the RAM/VRAM allocation config file, and seeing that it's set to 1.5GB RAM and 3GB VRAM by default across all SKUs, I wonder how much this is hindering both PCs and the current gen consoles. (By current gen I mean PS5/Series X)
The consensus is that that file doesn't do anything, because you can put anything you want in it or even delete it and the game works just fine, and we couldn't find any evidence that the game ever even opens the file to read it at any point on Windows. The values it shows for the console SKUs are probably also meaningless I would assume.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
What I originally did was set the game to RTX Ultra and turned down RTX Lighting down to Medium and change DLSS from Auto to QUALITY. In population dense areas in the city like the area outside V's Apartment I was hovering between 65 to 70.

My system -
i9 9900K, 32GB, RTX 3080, and the game is installed on a Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe drive.

After the Digital Foundry Optimization video, as they suggest I turned down Ambient Occlusion to Low, Volumetric Fog Resolution to High, and Volumetric Cloud Quality to Medium. I didn't change any of my other settings and my performance raised to 75 to 80 FPS in the same populated location.

Mind you I'm running the game at 1440P and not the 4K presets that Digital Foundry recommends. I don't think performance loss at 4K is worth it to be honest. When the RTX 4000 series, it might suffice.

1440P@75FPS+ at almost maxed out settings minus few which have no negligible impact on visual quality but have significant performance uplift of 10FPS from my previous minimum of 65 is worth it. I probably just lock it to 60FPS despite being able to run it at 75 to 80 and just for the sake of consistency.

I'm getting similar performance with my 3080/10850k setup.

The only way i can get consistent 4k@60 is if I only turn on rt reflections and turn off the other rt features with dlss auto.

but 1440p is pretty good already if you use the nvidia sharpening feature, so I'm running at 1440p.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I just done a story mission and had controls on the screen for it, now they are stuck there permanently even though the mission is over and I've completed another mission. I tried restarting the game and it's still there. Anyone else seen this happen?

also wondered can you do all the side stuff after the story or does finishing the story out a hard end on the game?

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I love the mod that makes my guns non-lethal. Love short-circuiting too.

I'm a kind merc.
I've been using an arm upgrade that allows you to shoot tranquillisers and it's a 1 shot "kill" on anything so far. Got it for the cyberpsychos as needed to incapacitate them but then just ended up using it for everything as it's so OP.

I just done a story mission and had controls on the screen for it, now they are stuck there permanently even though the mission is over and I've completed another mission. I tried restarting the game and it's still there. Anyone else seen this happen?

also wondered can you do all the side stuff after the story or does finishing the story out a hard end on the game?

Yes I currently have turret controls for the car stuck to my screen, been that way for the last 4-5 hours and can't get rid of them. Previously I had some speech from Johnny also glued to my screen that would never go away for 2 days but then eventually it went and all was good until I got these turret controls stuck on the screen now.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The consensus is that that file doesn't do anything, because you can put anything you want in it or even delete it and the game works just fine, and we couldn't find any evidence that the game ever even opens the file to read it at any point on Windows. The values it shows for the console SKUs are probably also meaningless I would assume.
Weren't there many reports of improvements? I know one specifically was in the loading department after letting it access some more resources, or was that all just placebo... I also remember users needing to set their .exe to run as admin to force the changes, but I honestly don't know beyond that.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
You can always tell which one was the fun parent of the two

k1JLTyU.png

ylqNQVj.png

C2kU68Y.png

tez8Iwg.png

Those are super nice! One of the best screenshots I have seen, charming.

Oct 27, 2017
Weren't there many reports of improvements? I know one specifically was in the loading department after letting it access some more resources, or was that all just placebo... I also remember users needing to set their .exe to run as admin to force the changes, but I honestly don't know beyond that.
There were, but it seems to be placebo. If I recall correctly somebody here has checked for the game accessing that file and it never does implying the file just isn't used or accessed by the game.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
There were, but they seem like they have to be unrelated (I mean if the OS is never logging any open handles on the file, that's pretty much case closed – it's just not being opened by the process so there's no real way it could be impacting anything. Plus VRAM and RAM allocations never really matched the contents of the file to begin with).

My best guess is that the people who think they see a big jump from the change are probably just experiencing this "leak" issue or whatever it is that's causing the game to slow down the longer it runs on some PCs. They start the game fresh after changing the file and get fresh game performance as opposed to degraded performance, and conclude the file did something.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using an arm upgrade that allows you to shoot tranquillisers and it's a 1 shot "kill" on anything so far. Got it for the cyberpsychos as needed to incapacitate them but then just ended up using it for everything as it's so OP.

Yes I currently have turret controls for the car stuck to my screen, been that way for the last 4-5 hours and can't get rid of them. Previously I had some speech from Johnny also glued to my screen that would never go away for 2 days but then eventually it went and all was good until I got these turret controls stuck on the screen now.
Yep that's exactly it haha, damn every time I start having a good time and getting into either something like this happens or it crashes!

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020

When you finish,you get the option to load back into the world before the last mission and you can continue doing side stuff. You can even redo the last mission to see different endings.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Does anyone know if there are crafting recipes for Blue and Purple healing consumables? My Tech Ability is 17, my Crafting is at 13, my Cred is 50, and my class is 35. I also have Grease Monkey (craft Epic items).

Djredline

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Just visited an arms dealer for the first time and he has a legendary pistol that I could really use and that fits my playing style. It's 40k and I have just that. Does it make sense to spend all of your money on a legendary pistol or will I be able to find and loot better ones?

I have a few pieces of legendary armour and I'm already getting random drops of loot with better stats (obviously missing the mod slots)

So unless you really want the item I would wait until your higher level before purchasing.

From what I know there is only 1 weapon so far that scales as you level up:

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Spotted by a camera that I shut off, love to see it.

Cameras are so damn buggy for me. If I use the daemon to shut them down the only way to "really" shut them off it to deactivate them and shut it off. Like wtf.

I cannot believe the state cdpr released this in.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
That xbox one digital foundry video is worth watching, I'd forgotten games could look like that my word. Really is just an entirely different game

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good discussion from Kinda Funny about the apology.

kidko

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if there are crafting recipes for Blue and Purple healing consumables? My Tech Ability is 17, my Crafting is at 13, my Cred is 50, and my class is 35. I also have Grease Monkey (craft Epic items).

I believe I found a blue one at a meds shop in the Pacifica hotel shopping area. Just going off memory from this weekend though.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Debating on getting the Series X version. I have the PS5 but I am curious about the Quality Mode. Can anyone speak to having played both versions?
I have it on both the Series X and the PS5. With the latest 1.04 update the resolution was bumped on both of the PS5 and Series X. Pedestrian level was also improved on both...this is outside of the Series X Quality mode. However since the 1.04 update I switched to playing more in the Series X performance mode. Both the PS5 and Series X versions are very good....but for me I think the Series X version is better as it runs at a higher resolution in Performance mode and even though they improved pedestrian density in both my side by side tests I have done the Series X still seems higher. Performance wise they seem very similar but I am playing on a VRR screen so any issues on Series X I am not seeing them due to that.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018

i tried it and it didn't do anything for me.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Im pretty sure there is a memory leak on console too. When i starting to notice frame drops, it usually crashes after a min. My game on PS5 crashing every 2 hour

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
That xbox one digital foundry video is worth watching, I'd forgotten games could look like that my word. Really is just an entirely different game

Yup, game is completely different on the base consoles compared to the next gen ones and then again compared to high end PCs. The Xbox One version looks worse than the ray traced reflections I'm seeing in puddles.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I am listening to it now...man they sound defeated. Granted the issues are bad and people being critical of them is justified...but just the tone in how they are talking they just sound defeated. But at the same time, they seem pretty committed to makes things right.

In my personal experience on both the PS5 and Series X I have have had no crashes and just some minor bugs. One bug i got hit with yesterday is that my character when looking in the mirror is nude. I then swapped out clothing and my character now has clothes, but it is just from the waste up....waste down he is nude.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
The problem with the AI, and why it is critiqued, is in how the sketchy implementation breaks immersion for some people. The game doesn't necessarily need to be a full blown simulation or complex sandbox GTA-like, but the current AI procedural system for both pedestrians and traffics is so rudimentary that the technical deficiencies compared to almost every other game on the market become apparent. In short, the AI procedurally spawns both NPCs and traffic within local proximity of the player with aggressive culling once said spawns are outside of the player's viewpoint. This leads to both traffic and pedestrian inconsistency and pop-in as it seems to only exist right on top of the player and whatever they're looking at. In addition to this the depth to AI reactivity is extremely shallow, both for NPCs and traffic. Again, it doesn't need to be on the scope of a Rockstar game, but the current depth to the response system is so shallow that basic functions like traffic moving around a parked car don't exist. The traffic AI is so shallow, for example, that it will procedurally spawn in six wheel trucks that are too long to turn down certain streets, but try to get them to turn anyway.

Video game immersion is all about upholding the illusion of interactivity. It's all smoke and mirrors in all games, but knowing where to pull punches and push hard is part of any design pipeline. Everything is "fake", but doing whatever you can to uphold the illusion of something being as close to real as possible, both in presentation and reactivity in a way that convinces us the world is a believable place, is generally the objective of design.

Cyberpunk's fundamental problem with the AI and procedural NPC/traffic generation is that it's so basic, so simple, so fundamentally shallow and limited in both functionality and rendering that the illusion for a lot of players is easily broken. It's not about the density (I actually think the traffic and NPC density is mostly very fine), nor even the variety of assets (as said, NPC clothing/body/face/hair variety is extremely impressive all things considered), but how this world renders and responds in the presence of the player. It all falls apart very quickly, the technical backend all the more obvious, as are the procedural generation limitations, breaking the illusion and resulting in a gorgeous city that feels oddly sterile and a population that is artificial in its functions.

And while we can point fingers at other games that do it much better and claim that Cyberpunk doesn't try to be those games, ergo comparing is unfair, within its own context the execution is still small. The entire Deus Ex series has significantly, drastically smaller play spaces and zones, but the police/NPC presence and AI feels overwhelmingly more hand tailored and genuinely reactive. Almost every single sandbox game on the market for the last 10 years and beyond has more believably reactive and organic delivery of procedurally generated traffic and NPCs, from the entire GTA series to Watch Dogs to Sleeping Dogs to everything else. Even The Witcher 3, a game that shares direct commonality with how NPCs and AI are generated and handled, is more successful at upholding the illusion through context of its direction and design. Geralt cannot attack civilians, and there's no value in attacking guards, so we're content with them just walking around doing their thing. Areas are on average significantly less populated and we spend less time in a single town/village/city, balanced by the game's adventures into negative space, meaning we're more appreciative and less critical of the rudimentary AI behavioural tasks.

Cyberpunk's problem is that by virtue and context of its setting and how regularly the player is swarmed with traffic and NPCs the players subconscious attention to the illusion's nuances are greater, and thus more prone to breaking apart. When you also provide the player with a greater scope of agency in how they interact with the world, like the ability to hijack cars and shoot anyone whenever and wherever, again the illusion breaks down when the technical competency cannot hold up. It's why you get people citing the police system as a great example of just textbook bad open world environment design and weak procedural AI; because it's legitimately worse than how borderline every sandbox and RPG game has handled it for the last decade or more.

Building immersive games is about finding that delicate balance between technology and presentation, upholding the illusion of believability in a world that is fundamentally totally fake. And it's hard. Fucking hard. I want to make it clear I'm not in any way pretending that this is some easy achievement. It's super difficult for everyone on the team; the technology powering the design, and the design in of itself. But with Cyberpunk CDPR absolutely fumbled the illusion of a believably immersive world when we look at how the NPC and traffic procedural generation is handled. It looks incredible. But it's so obviously fake and effortlessly breakable.

i'm of the opinion that cdpr has a better AI engine, but it wasn't ready for release so they replaced it with the current braindead engine and sometime next year, the real AI engine will be plugged into the game.

I mean, cpdr has been working on this game for 8 years. There's no way that the current in game AI engine is the end product after 8 years of development.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
I am listening to it now...man they sound defeated. Granted the issues are bad and people being critical of them is justified...but just the tone in how they are talking they just sound defeated. But at the same time, they seem pretty committed to makes things right.

In my personal experience on both the PS5 and Series X I have have had no crashes and just some minor bugs. One bug i got hit with yesterday is that my character when looking in the mirror is nude. I then swapped out clothing and my character now has clothes, but it is just from the waste up....waste down he is nude.
I keep going back and forth between xbox series x and pc. I am enjoying both versions but only issues I keep running into is shops not working I have to talk to them a couple of times because it kicks me out of the inventory. And if I get out of a car too fast it will push the fov closer and get stuck.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I'm guessing the idiots that were pissed at the GameSpot review are now eating crow.

Oct 27, 2017
i'm of the opinion that cdpr has a better AI engine, but it wasn't ready for release so they replaced with the current braindead engine and sometime next year, the real AI engine will be plugged into the game.
I'm not really sure what you'd even base this on. The braindead AI here is the same braindead AI in The Witcher, but The Witcher just managed to cover it up due to the setting which isn't as feasibly in a more 'modern' context (i.e. an urban environment with technology). It's pretty clear it was just beyond the scope of their capabilities and weren't able to develop modern AI systems or reactions. It is, literally, generations behind. There is no chance they had something more developed on the cutting floor.

EDIT:
I've listened to about 20 minutes and their defeat is justified. So long as they're wiping their tears with the money of the people they've deceived they should feel defeated. Not only are they outright hostile towards minorities but they've very happy to steal money from their fans; they should be defeated.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
This game has a huge fucking problem with registering completed objectives if you do them before or too quickly after they pop up.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
I'm not really sure what you'd even base this on. The braindead AI here is the same braindead AI in The Witcher, but The Witcher just managed to cover it up due to the setting which isn't as feasibly in a more 'modern' context (i.e. an urban environment with technology). It's pretty clear it was just beyond the scope of their capabilities and weren't able to develop modern AI systems or reactions. It is, literally, generations behind. There is no chance they had something more developed on the cutting floor.

then what exactly were they doing for 8 years?

The AI system that is currently in the game, feels like something that was done in 1 year or less or maybe just lifted directly from witcher 3.