• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also have not played Yakuza 3-6, but the story in 7 seems to basically be wholly self-contained. And if you like Yakuza 0 as much as I do, you're going to love 7

Oh, another game that's much better than Cyberpunk

I mean I disagree just on the fact that both deus ex and prey never hooked me.

Both games I've tried to get into several times and the most I get in is a couple hours. They're both just kind of boring.

I'm 25 hours into cyberpunk.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The problem with the AI, and why it is critiqued, is in how the sketchy implementation breaks immersion for some people....

100%. Your post and this Reddit post perfectly highlight what is wrong with this game
gmzp5xya33561.png

Especially the part about the story and the personal background. I said it here multiple times, but they must've cut lots of content from the story cause otherwise it doesn't make sense. We are supposed to care for characters we just met, characters interact with us as if we already did a couple of quests together, but actually we just met. I don't know

And yet it is still mostly fun, which only highlights how much wasted potential lies in this game. If it is fun in it's current state, imagine how incredible this game could've been if they didn't fuck up so bad.

obeast

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I was very hyped for this game, since the original reveal trailer all those years ago, but it is very hard to accurately gauge how good it ended up being without delving into spoilers. This might be too much to ask, but beyond the obvious bugs, and performance issues on last gen, did it fulfill the hype? Pleaaaase no spoilers if possible. I just want to know if this was actually a huge disappointment as a game or if its bugs and performance that overshadow any positives.

I seem to be in the minority here, but playing on PC, and experiencing very few bugs, I have been dazzled. I have not kept up at all with the hype over the years, so I have no clue whether the finished product can compare, but as a city-based open-world RPG with Deus Ex-style mechanics, it's something of a marvel to me. Remarkable setting, some great quests. Starts a little slow, though. And if you're going to play on console it sounds like you might be better off waiting a while (and for a next-gen system/version).

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I do appreciate how the appreciation for Mankind Divided has grown over time. The initial reaction to that game wasn't particularly kind. That GAF OT wasn't the most fun thread to be in as a big fan of the game.
Yeah people have really come around on it. It got so much undeserved hate early on (I vividly remember people in that OT complaining that "choices don't even really matter!" even while it was becoming clear that people were having completely different encounters based on their choices)

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I'm 33 hours in and while I really like the core gameplay loops certain major aspects of this game have ruined my experience. I really feel like CD fucked up trying to act as if this a RPG when in reality it's probably less of an RPG than Witcher 3 which was also barely an RPG. In someways I can see why everything turned out as it did because from what I remember Witcher 3 had a similar reception at release cause CD hyped the living shit out of the game difference is that this the biggest game of the year and 2015 had lots of big come out.

It feels like this game lacked a proper vision until the very end and that's probably why everything is so inconsistent. Keanu is laughable when he's trying to be serious lol so that doesn't help how inconsistent as fuck the game feels in terms of quality.

I really only have my self to blame for being so excited tbh cause at this point I should know better. At this junction this game probably feels like a 7/10 for me when it's bug free on PC. I don't think the old console versions will ever be up to scratch due to how the game streams assets so please do yourself and steer clear of them.

Also CD needs to put the online version on hold indefinitely cause RED engine can barely handle a car bumping into another car.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
How can you, after playing dragon age, fallout, skyrim, mass effect, and AC, not see the storytelling mechanics of this RPG, the animations across the face and the scenes of conversation and not notice that they shot for the sky. Each gun for hire mission has like 5 paragraphs of info via the text. The tech, worldbuilding, animation, lore, storytelling mechanics, music, marketing, they're all intermingled. And they all exceed anything else that's ever been put out in terms of effort/vision. Whether they hit that vision or not? I mean obviously just read reviews. I just can't stand how people will play something like fallout new Vegas, where every character is literally as stiff as a tpose every time you talk to them (like in nearly every AAA RPG since) and not see the vision here, where characters are moving around or in cars or whatever.

the only thing they didnt nail was AI and technical capability. Iron out the bugs and improve the AI and you have something special here.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Taking crafting seriously on this second run through and pretty easy to see why crafting itself gives you sfa experience. It's the disassembly perks + amount of junk you find in the overworld. Plus the experience is to be made in the upgrades.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Trying out double jump legs and idk what you use now. They both seem pretty great additions but double jump seems easier to use.

And damn this upgrade is nice. I can parkour to rooftops easy now

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only 5 hours in and what exactly is amazing about the campaign?
My issue isn't even the bugs or wonkiness its that the gameplay loop isn't fun. The AI is the most braindead AI I've ever seen I mean I guess some people like hitting a tennis ball back at themselves but I would like to feel in the moment with these missions and they are even worse than Read Dead which I didn't think had a lower bar. There is so much more wrong with this game outside of the bugs. I don't get people scaling down the expectations so drastically in order to enjoy it. Well if you don't talk to NPC's and imagine the AI is just target practice dummys and that cars don't drive all that well and the city instead of being a city is like the Ride its a Small World made with gorgeous detail then yeah its a 10/10

I guess I have to beat the game but I honestly can't understand how you can feel this way. It plays to me like a title that only tried to shoot for the moon through the visuals. Everything else feels like a generation behind.

Yeah, it is not just the bugs. Bugs are horrible in this game, but man the underlying game, the mechanics, nothing of is is "next gen". It's not even last gen, it's shit we've seen so many times before by other devs. This is why a 9/10 or 10/10 scores are baffling

Seriously, Cyberpunk subreddit is right now the funniest page on the internet!

Revolutionary btw. Pure next gen

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
V: "You could have told me the "package" was a man."
Dennis: "If it was a box of bananas I would have used the Post Office."

LOL I almost spit water all over my monitor...

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
CD definitely cut a shit ton of content cause from I remember that was the case all three Witcher games and that why they always felt so all over the place.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a better game than this in the exact same genre and Square Enix made that in 2016.
My issue with the recent Deus Ex games is that I wanted something larger in scope. A more explorable world. The atmosphere and aesthetic is top-notch, but I wanted a much bigger game. Cyberpunk delivers on that front, even if the game is something of a technical mess at the moment. And I don't dislike the 80's translation of the cyberpunk genre.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when we made fun of Final Fantasy XIII getting good after 10 hours? Now more and more games are holding their beer and stepping up to the mantle.

I think the opening is pretty good. The stuff after the prologue though really opens up things literally with more quests and the map opening up. Plus you get more of the story which is really gets intriguing towards the end of the first act

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
CD definitely cut a shit ton of content cause from I remember that was the case all three Witcher games and that why they always felt so all over the place.

At this point I am kind of envious of the people who will be playing the GOTY edition with the DLC and fixes. I am 100% sure they are going to add the flathead skill tree back in in one of the expansions.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
The more I play of this, the more I'm really enjoying the story, music, setting and overall gameplay. Luckily I haven't encountered many bugs so far, aside from occasionally not being able to sprint and sometimes in cutscenes items like phones or cigarettes stay floating in the air. The thing that's most disappointing is how it looks on Series X. I know it's essentially an Xbox One game, but the washed out HDR is a real shame.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
The problem with the AI, and why it is critiqued, is in how the sketchy implementation breaks immersion for some people. The game doesn't necessarily need to be a full blown simulation or complex sandbox GTA-like, but the current AI procedural system for both pedestrians and traffics is so rudimentary that the technical deficiencies compared to almost every other game on the market become apparent. In short, the AI procedurally spawns both NPCs and traffic within local proximity of the player with aggressive culling once said spawns are outside of the player's viewpoint. This leads to both traffic and pedestrian inconsistency and pop-in as it seems to only exist right on top of the player and whatever they're looking at. In addition to this the depth to AI reactivity is extremely shallow, both for NPCs and traffic. Again, it doesn't need to be on the scope of a Rockstar game, but the current depth to the response system is so shallow that basic functions like traffic moving around a parked car don't exist. The traffic AI is so shallow, for example, that it will procedurally spawn in six wheel trucks that are too long to turn down certain streets, but try to get them to turn anyway.

Video game immersion is all about upholding the illusion of interactivity. It's all smoke and mirrors in all games, but knowing where to pull punches and push hard is part of any design pipeline. Everything is "fake", but doing whatever you can to uphold the illusion of something being as close to real as possible, both in presentation and reactivity in a way that convinces us the world is a believable place, is generally the objective of design.

Cyberpunk's fundamental problem with the AI and procedural NPC/traffic generation is that it's so basic, so simple, so fundamentally shallow and limited in both functionality and rendering that the illusion for a lot of players is easily broken. It's not about the density (I actually think the traffic and NPC density is mostly very fine), nor even the variety of assets (as said, NPC clothing/body/face/hair variety is extremely impressive all things considered), but how this world renders and responds in the presence of the player. It all falls apart very quickly, the technical backend all the more obvious, as are the procedural generation limitations, breaking the illusion and resulting in a gorgeous city that feels oddly sterile and a population that is artificial in its functions.

And while we can point fingers at other games that do it much better and claim that Cyberpunk doesn't try to be those games, ergo comparing is unfair, within its own context the execution is still small. The entire Deus Ex series has significantly, drastically smaller play spaces and zones, but the police/NPC presence and AI feels overwhelmingly more hand tailored and genuinely reactive. Almost every single sandbox game on the market for the last 10 years and beyond has more believably reactive and organic delivery of procedurally generated traffic and NPCs, from the entire GTA series to Watch Dogs to Sleeping Dogs to everything else. Even The Witcher 3, a game that shares direct commonality with how NPCs and AI are generated and handled, is more successful at upholding the illusion through context of its direction and design. Geralt cannot attack civilians, and there's no value in attacking guards, so we're content with them just walking around doing their thing. Areas are on average significantly less populated and we spend less time in a single town/village/city, balanced by the game's adventures into negative space, meaning we're more appreciative and less critical of the rudimentary AI behavioural tasks.

Cyberpunk's problem is that by virtue and context of its setting and how regularly the player is swarmed with traffic and NPCs the players subconscious attention to the illusion's nuances are greater, and thus more prone to breaking apart. When you also provide the player with a greater scope of agency in how they interact with the world, like the ability to hijack cars and shoot anyone whenever and wherever, again the illusion breaks down when the technical competency cannot hold up. It's why you get people citing the police system as a great example of just textbook bad open world environment design and weak procedural AI; because it's legitimately worse than how borderline every sandbox and RPG game has handled it for the last decade or more.

Building immersive games is about finding that delicate balance between technology and presentation, upholding the illusion of believability in a world that is fundamentally totally fake. And it's hard. Fucking hard. I want to make it clear I'm not in any way pretending that this is some easy achievement. It's super difficult for everyone on the team; the technology powering the design, and the design in of itself. But with Cyberpunk CDPR absolutely fumbled the illusion of a believably immersive world when we look at how the NPC and traffic procedural generation is handled. It looks incredible. But it's so obviously fake and effortlessly breakable.

100%, well said , The aesthetics of the world are spot on but the way some people feel like they are "immersed" in it when everything you said is 100% accurate. I don't know how they can be
Well said as usual. The urban design of Night City impresses me more than any city I have played in a game. But in terms of interactivity, it lags behind GTA games. I actually don't like GTA games though, I find the overall experience rather boring and superficial despite all the style and incidental things you can do. I don't really play games to do incidental stuff. On the other hand, I think the lack of decent AI systems in this game, does a disservice to the quality of the built world they have created.
Spot on
Yeah people have really come around on it. It got so much undeserved hate early on (I vividly remember people in that OT complaining that "choices don't even really matter!" even while it was becoming clear that people were having completely different encounters based on their choices)

I played and loved Human Revolution but never Mankind Divided. It is $4.50 on the PS store right now until December 22 so I'm definitely picking it up

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
It picks up alot right before the title card then just takes off....

the way you talk, it doesn't sound like you're talking about main campaign elements but instead talking about the open world elements. As an open world game, its dog shit and more than a generation behind. I can't say that about the main campaign tho. Also, what version are you playing? that can make a big difference too.

PC

Its running surprisingly well:
Name NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU ASUS_MB_KBLX
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10940X CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3312 Mhz, 14 Core(s), 28 Logical Processor(s)
BaseBoard Product ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 63.7 GB
Available Physical Memory 48.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 73.2 GB
Available Virtual Memory 52.2 GB

senj

Nov 6, 2017
So I was very hyped for this game, since the original reveal trailer all those years ago, but it is very hard to accurately gauge how good it ended up being without delving into spoilers. This might be too much to ask, but beyond the obvious bugs, and performance issues on last gen, did it fulfill the hype? Pleaaaase no spoilers if possible. I just want to know if this was actually a huge disappointment as a game or if its bugs and performance that overshadow any positives.
I think it really depends on what exactly you were hyped for.

Were you hyped for a futuristic next-gen GTA style sandbox where you can make your own adventures, like some people seem to have been? Then no, it makes no effort to be that and you will be wildly disappointed.

Were you hyped for a Deus Ex style Immersive Sim + Witcher 3 all choices matter game where everything's as polished as the Witcher 3 was a year in instead of at launch? It's not really that either, although some quest lines do have shades of the Witcher's approach.

Were you hyped for "hey I grew up reading Gibson's Sprawl trilogy and Stephenson's Snow Crash and Pat Cadigan's Tea from an Empty Cup, and I want something that gives me the ability to really be in those novels and drink it in"? I'm really happy with it on that level.

In a lot of ways this game makes me think of LA Noire, an open world game that gets a lot of similar complaints; I love it because I love James Ellroy's novels and it's a wonderful James Ellroy's Novels Simulator. But all the people who wanted it to be Grand Theft Auto 1949 or some more reactive, sandboxy game rather than something that delivers a particular flavor of experience have very legitimate reasons for not liking it.

And what also seems clear at this point is that PC (and maybe Xbox Series X/S, idk?) are the only versions that aren't either near-completely unplayable (last gen) or crashing constantly (PS5).

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
100%. Your post and this Reddit post perfectly highlight what is wrong with this game
gmzp5xya33561.png

Especially the part about the story and the personal background. I said it here multiple times, but they must've cut lots of content from the story cause otherwise it doesn't make sense. We are supposed to care for characters we just met, characters interact with us as if we already did a couple of quests together, but actually we just met. I don't know

And yet it is still mostly fun, which only highlights how much wasted potential lies in this game. If it is fun in it's current state, imagine how incredible this game could've been if they didn't fuck up so bad.

Whoever gave this game insanely high scores............will be added to a list because how am I supposed to trust anyone who gave these scores high remarks without doing it for the clicks and revenue? You can say they had a limited amount of time and yada yada.........if they truly cared about doing their job accurately, they would have held off on posting the reviews until post launch. Even disregarding the graphical issues and crashes this game did absolutely nothing that garnered those scores. Outside of a beautiful open world that is literally skin deep.

There is a reason why I am so so so looking forward to ACG's video whenever it gets made because it won't be filled with the bullshit and it won't be held back for the fear of backlash.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I kept telling myself I wasn't gona play anymore until the patch comes out for PS5 because the bugs were driving me nuts. I keep turning it on because I cant help myself and now I'm hooked and really enjoying it.

I'm like 15 hours in and Haven't even left Watson yet.

I think I'm in the acceptance stage of my grief.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the AI, and why it is critiqued, is in how the sketchy implementation breaks immersion for some people. The game doesn't necessarily need to be a full blown simulation or complex sandbox GTA-like, but the current AI procedural system for both pedestrians and traffics is so rudimentary that the technical deficiencies compared to almost every other game on the market become apparent. In short, the AI procedurally spawns both NPCs and traffic within local proximity of the player with aggressive culling once said spawns are outside of the player's viewpoint. This leads to both traffic and pedestrian inconsistency and pop-in as it seems to only exist right on top of the player and whatever they're looking at. In addition to this the depth to AI reactivity is extremely shallow, both for NPCs and traffic. Again, it doesn't need to be on the scope of a Rockstar game, but the current depth to the response system is so shallow that basic functions like traffic moving around a parked car don't exist. The traffic AI is so shallow, for example, that it will procedurally spawn in six wheel trucks that are too long to turn down certain streets, but try to get them to turn anyway.

I think its been acknowledged a billion times and quite understood that the open world AI and lack thereof is apparent. Its been stated numerous times not just by myself but others in this thread over and over.

its not even that cyberpunk is trying to do something else or be something different. Its fairly obvious they just ran out of time and said fuck the open world shit.

i dont think anyone is questioning or disagreeing with the World AI being non existant.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I do appreciate how the appreciation for Mankind Divided has grown over time. The initial reaction to that game wasn't particularly kind. That GAF OT wasn't the most fun thread to be in as a big fan of the game.

I picked it up months after release and was pleasantly surprised.

The main narrative is weak and ends abruptly, but the game itself is extremely solid.

If I had more time I would definitely do a LTTP for it.

Zularti

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever gave this game insanely high scores............will be added to a list because how am I supposed to trust anyone who gave these scores high remarks without doing it for the clicks and revenue? You can say they had a limited amount of time and yada yada.........if they truly cared about doing their job accurately, they would have held off on posting the reviews until post launch. Even disregarding the graphical issues and crashes this game did absolutely nothing that garnered those scores. Outside of a beautiful open world that is literally skin deep.

There is a reason why I am so so so looking forward to ACG's video whenever it gets made because it won't be filled with the bullshit and it won't be held back for the fear of backlash.

I think the problem is they were rushed, which I know you said doesn't matter ha. The point I'd make is if you literally ONLY do the main quest you are honestly in for a pretty good time. It feels fun the characters are cool to hang out with. It's got some very cyberpunk set pieces I mean it's great. Maybe not a super cyberpunk story but a fun story regardless. While its still no excuse if you just rushed the story you probably assumed that very high production quality applied to the rest of the world, which it doesn't.

The problem happens when you interact with the open world and realize it's the farthest from cyberpunk. I can't think of an open world game I've had less fun exploring ha. I just open my map and go to the next side job because there is nothing to do in the world. You can't even get in a car chase.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017

Surely you don't mean this ACG:
This the same Karak who was recently banned on here, and said that transphobia is something no serious journalist would bother discussing? That Karak?

Anyway, my guess is that both MS and Sony were worried about their competitor having the console version available whilst they were still getting their version through certification, so they had blind faith in CDPR putting out a day 1 patch to fix most things. I suspect they may not get the same leniency when the PS5/Series X versions release after this...

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
PSA Around saving your game often and using "Hard Saves". Do it. The game breaks in unusual ways and demands it.

Funny Bug Example: I quick-saved during a scene where a mission NPC and I were to move through a door that opened for us. When I loaded the save, the door didn't "open" and I was stuck; the NPC navigated fine through the blocker. Whatever, I loaded further back to try to "reset" whatever caused this. No luck, still blocked. Back further, getting nervous now, and I noticed that another "automated" door didn't open for me but an NPC moved through it fine.

I restarted the game and all doors in the other saves now work. So, crisis averted. I've learned from this (and other bugs I've noticed) that sometimes Cyberpunk just really needs to shut down and start fresh lol

---

Save. Often.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem is they were rushed, which I know you said doesn't matter ha. The point I'd make is if you literally ONLY do the main quest you are honestly in for a pretty good time. It feels fun the characters are cool to hang out with. It's got some very cyberpunk set pieces I mean it's great. Maybe not a super cyberpunk story but a fun story regardless. While its still no excuse if you just rushed the story you probably assumed that very high production quality applied to the rest of the world, which it doesn't.

The problem happens when you interact with the open world and realize it's the farthest from cyberpunk. I can't think of an open world game I've had less fun exploring ha. I just open my map and go to the next side job because there is nothing to do in the world. You can't even get in a car chase.

yea, thats the thing. If the reviewers rushed thru the campaign, they arent going to notice How bad the open world aspect of it is.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
For those who said that the police system is supposed to be like this because it's not a GTA clone or whatever (BossAttack )

gamerant.com

Cyberpunk 2077 Has A 'Wanted' System and Corrupt Police

CD Projekt RED reveals that Cyberpunk 2077 will have a 'wanted' system with corrupt police as well as 'powerful' NPCs who can come after the player character.

They straight up lied lol

Oh, I'm not arguing that they didn't lie. They did. All the marketing was that this would be similar to open worlds like GTA. I'm saying the truth is that those systems were never supposed to be like that and I doubt they ever will.