• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
It doesn't like undervolted cards either. It's even more sensitive than Control in that regard, and that game was considered to be very sensitive to undervolting.
Really? What types of issues are you experiencing?

I have my 3080 undervolted and have not experienced anything out of the ordinary except a few FPS less. Haven't had a single crash either.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
based on this thread alone, there are plenty of people that this game didn't piss off.

It feels like there are a lot of people on internet wanting to see this game flop, but that wont be the case.

I'm personally enjoying it more than I thought I would but I am also in the probably rather small pool of people who
- have a ps5
- were not hyped for the game
- are not in the mood for an actually massive and immersive open world experience
- got the game gifted so I can at least say to myself I did not personally fork over money for CDPRs bullshit (and I still want to donate to a local LGBTQ+ org, jeut not sure which one yet)

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
1091500_20201214182043_1.png

The hardest choice yet!

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any mainstream release since the Rise of Skywalker managed to piss all sides off so Thoroughly...

- actual progressive/socially aware people: see OP
- people who care about the state of the industry: crunch and everything surrounding CDPRs work environment
- CDPR white knights: tricking (console) consumers on purpose
- hardcore right-leaning chuds: acknowledging trans people at all
- normal person who simply plays the biggest releases on their ps4/xone: "it runs, surprisingly. Well...."
- hardcore gaming community: not evolving open world and AI design at all, even going a few Stepan ack from the established standard

You can't fuck up this bad on purpose

You forgot the people not surprised by any of this because they've been calling for CDPR to cancel the PS4/XB1 versions since 2018. Those versions were never going to work and only stood to hamstring the game's potential.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I started having a lot more fun when I stopped trying to play this game like GTA and started to play it more like the L.A. Noire/Mass Effect hybrid game that it seems to be. It sure looks like a system-based sandbox game, but it really isn't - it could be, with a multitude of patches, DLC, and updates. But right now it seems to be more of a linear cinematic narrative RPG with multiple storylines and hand-crafted side missions that happens to take place in an open-world city as its back-drop. At a glance it looks absolutely stunning; the city is ridiculously dense, layered, populated, and believable, but at closer inspection the illusion begins to fall apart. Minimal AI, rudimentary traffic and wanted systems, etc. I think that is OK. Regardless of what they were selling this game as in the marketing, don't expect to hop into Night City purely with the intent to mess around and cause havoc with GTA or Saint's Row-style gameplay loops any more than you would in the open-worlds of say L.A. Noire, Dragon Age Inquisition, or The Witcher 3 for example. Not yet, anyway.

I'm playing on a beefy PC, so I haven't experienced much issues in the way of performance. Bugs have been minimal during my 20ish hours so far.

As for the console experience, I've watched some videos and seen the memes. My take is this is clearly a game built for high-end PCs in mind - a showcase game world designed with bleeding-edge graphical techniques, and not so much bleeding-edge gameplay experiences. Marketing straight up bullshot and bullshitted making people think this was for last-gen, which was muddied by the fact the next-gen patch wasn't ready for launch. They made a game for high-end PCs, had trouble downporting and optimizing for last-gen consoles, and then failed to launch with further optimizations for next-gen consoles.

All in all, I'm having a very enjoyable time. It took until Act 2 for it to click for me. And of course, a platform/rig that can actually run the thing at an acceptable level. I'm enjoying the main quest story and missions so far more than anything in GTA V or Red Dead 2, and I find Night City way more interesting than anything in any other open world city, at least aesthetically. I have cringed a few times.

My issues with it are mostly related to things I dislike about other open world RPGs. I dislike icon-fever on the map. Icons need to be used sparingly. If there's too many, I just ignore them all and avoid using the map altogether. Breath of the Wild did this properly. Side-quest fever is an issue as well. The game shouldn't inundate me this much with other stuff to do, it's hard to decide what's important and it becomes stressful to progress the main quest when I have many other missions that might become way too easy or whatever unless I do them as I get em. I prefer to just have a Main Quest or 2, with a small handful of medium and minor quests. Right now I have like 50 and the anxiety starts to kick in and I'm only in Act 2.

I do hope they support the game with free DLC patches like they did with The Witcher. There's a lot of potential to polish up and densify Night City further with interesting systems gameplay loops, VR support, co-op, etc. Right now there's no reason to really explore Night City at your leisure other than to just gawk at it, and while I don't think having a bunch of GTA-style systems is fundamental to having an enjoyable video game set in an open-world, it would certainly make the place more inviting and fun to just hang out in and mess around if you want to take a break from "questing".

For now, I'll continue playing through what's there and hopefully continue to enjoy it as much as I am. I am not sure I'll stick around once I'm done, though, unless they have big things planned or it turns out I love it so much I just have to play it a second or third time through for the alternate storylines.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If you're in an area without tall buildings so you can see the skyline, you can call one car then immediately another, and sometimes the you'll see the first car hurtling through the sky as your second drives to you, then past you, then off into the sunset.

These hotfixes can't come quickly enough xD

Also man how did they get driving this poorly in 2020, with all of the examples of driving in other games to go by? You can lose control of your $50k+ eddie car going ten miles an hour on a paved street just by tapping left or right. The braking system doesn't operate by the laws of even pretend physics. Like damn CDPR.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can def do one shot headshots. I have been doing it for the entire game, basically. You have to look at the actual damage per shot, not DPS. Revolvers are generally the best for this paired with the Cool and Reflex perks. You can also restealth, but its kinda tough. It gets easier once you get the quickhack to remove someone from combat status.

Yeah still no one shot headshots with my best silenced pistol and I'm 25hours into the game and have a lot of points in stealth and pistols...

Maybe I'll trying buying a nice revolver.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Also man how did they get driving this poorly in 2020, with all of the examples of driving in other games to go by? You can lose control of your $50k+ eddie car going ten miles an hour on a paved street just by tapping left or right. The braking system doesn't operate by the laws of even pretend physics. Like damn CDPR.

This is one of those areas where I wonder if it happens because they didn't/couldn't recruit anyone with experience coding car handling, driving physics, etc. The driving in this game feels like the work of people programming a driving system for the first time. I would assume it's standard practice in the industry to recruit devs with prior experience in these things if you are implementing vehicles for the first time.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah still no one shot headshots with my best silenced pistol and I'm 25hours into the game and have a lot of points in stealth and pistols...

don't look at the DPS of the weapon, but rather how much damage it does per shot.

(actually it might also be based on your game difficulty, I've been one shotting people from pretty early on in the game).

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
If you're in an area without tall buildings so you can see the skyline, you can call one car then immediately another, and sometimes the you'll see the first car hurtling through the sky as your second drives to you, then past you, then off into the sunset.

These hotfixes can't come quickly enough xD

PC? I feel like they designed driving for consoles/gamepads though it could use some more tweaking

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017

Yes. If you want 1s1k heads hots with pistols you need a revolver with a silencer. Regular pistols don't do enough raw damage to one shot kill.

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Hmmm it's good that CDPR released that statement. Maybe if people keep complaining, after fixing the bugs, they will actually rework some of the game itself, restore some content that was obviously cut, etc.. I still want a new Gwent...

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Is loot fully randomized? Or will someone loot the same item from the same location on different playthroughs?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

I think that there should be a skill where silenced headshots are auto-crits. For me if I crit on the shot then it's instant kill but no-crit and it usually doesn't take them out.

Speaking of- is there any way to see a target's health in terms of actual hit point numbers? I have no way of knowing if my silenced pistol even has the raw damage potential for a one shot kill even when factoring in head shot, stealth shot, etc.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I started having a lot more fun when I stopped trying to play this game like GTA and started to play it more like the L.A. Noire/Mass Effect hybrid game that it seems to be. It sure looks like a system-based sandbox game, but it really isn't - it could be, with a multitude of patches, DLC, and updates. But right now it seems to be more of a linear cinematic narrative RPG with multiple storylines and hand-crafted side missions that happens to take place in an open-world city as its back-drop.

Exactly. I have been playing this as an open world Deus Ex and it comes across as a massive upgrade from Mankind Divided. I don't want to interact, or fight with the police officers. In the TTRPG I would also avoid the police in the same way.

That said, CP2077 marketing did show CGI of car chase (with drones chasing) so I think CDPR can blame themselves if players were expecting GTA style police interactions.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Think I'm gonna need to turn down crowd density to Medium. Don't think in it's current state my 3700x can handle high right now.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
You can act up in the boundaries setup as a "mercenary." Outside of that and you will be punished.
Bruh if you want to "punish" people who shoot citizens from rooftops you can at least have a helicopter that arrives in 10 seconds and kills you in two shots if you act out TOO much. Or snipers. Or SOMETHING. Anything would be better than "police materialize two meters away from you"

The game simply has no AI built into it again, it's really not defensible.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Exactly. I have been playing this as an open world Deus Ex and it comes across as a massive upgrade from Mankind Divided. I don't want to interact, or fight with the police officers. In the TTRPG I would also avoid the police in the same way.

That said, CP2077 marketing did show CGI of car chase (with drones chasing) so I think CDPR can blame themselves if players were expecting GTA style police interactions.
I find mankind divided to be a massive upgrade of this

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I hate enemy spawning mechanics in every game, including the recent Ghost Recon games. Sadly most games do it, but some games do it more discreetly.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
This is one of those areas where I wonder if it happens because they didn't/couldn't recruit anyone with experience coding car handling, driving physics, etc. The driving in this game feels like the work of people programming a driving system for the first time. I would assume it's standard practice in the industry to recruit devs with prior experience in these things if you are implementing vehicles for the first time.

You might be onto something here. Friend of mine is an expert in a specific field (mostly revolging around physics/compute); he had some talks with CDPR around 2 years ago but he pretty much laughed away their offer :P I can imagine CDPR having a hard time recruiting (external) talent.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
Is anyone doing stealth melee? Looking to see how viable it is. I play on very hard so not sure if it would be better than silenced ranged.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Man loot is weird in this game. A lot of the weapons are undeniably cool and fun to use, but the pace at which you acquire them is crazy.

And every single encounter is just an avalanche of loot in general. A routine fight in the open-world with 3-4 nameless gang members can all at once net you:

-multiple weapons, sometimes all upgrades
-multiple sets of armor
-weapon mods
-grenades
-healing items
-lore shards
-vendor junk

And again, all of that from a fight that took 20 seconds with no-name enemies. Feels like it's too much.

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
Even though I killed Woodman in the Automatic Love quest, somehow he came back to life in Ex-Factor a I got the option to kill him again. I've killed him twice now...

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I hate the phone in this game, jesus. I get non stop calls to buy cars and a bunch of texts that are pretty pointless. It's worse that it's from like random NPCs I haven't even met so there's a giant disconnect for me. It's basically spam and annoying

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got recommended settings for Controller? Default is so clunky

I personally found this pretty nice on my Xbox One controller (might want to up the inner dead zone a bit if on PS controller):

"Apex Legends-style"
Outer Dead Zone - 0.90
Inner Dead Zone - 0.01
Horizontal Sensitivity - 13
Vertical Sensitivity - 11
Zoom Sensitivity Reduction - 1
Response Curve - Recommended
Horizontal Turning Bonus - 0.80
Vertical Turning Bonus - 0.40
Turning Ramp-up time - 0
Turning Delay - 0
Horizontal Turning (ADS) - 0
Vertical Turning (ADS) - 0
Turning Ramp-up time (ADS) - 0
Turning Delay (ADS) - 0

There's also this one that my buddy likes:
"CoD-style"
Reset all to default values for all except Inner Dead Zone 0.01, and Horizontal + Vertical Turn Bonus set to 0.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
You might be onto something here. Friend of mine is an expert in a specific field (mostly revolging around physics/compute); he had some talks with CDPR around 2 years ago but he pretty much laughed away their offer :P I can imagine CDPR having a hard time recruiting (external) talent.

Yeah I'm not particularly familiar with the Polish dev scene to know how much experienced talent is there for open world AI and driving systems. The areas where CDPR is clearly iterating on what they did before all work fairly well and seem like natural evoltutions of their Witcher work but they are struggling in the areas that are all new to them.

Like I'm assuming when Hangar 13 was formed and started working on Mafia 3 they probably recruited heavily devs that already had experience in driving, open world AI, etc.

Is anyone doing stealth melee? Looking to see how viable it is. I play on very hard so not sure if it would be better than silenced ranged.

Yeah, it's super effective IMO compared to ranged. Provided that you have good intelligence it's very easy to distract, etc so that you can just sneak up and take them out from behind. That's my primary playstyle. I struggled at first, though, until I figured out how to properly use quickhacks.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Really? What types of issues are you experiencing?

Crashing, like I mentioned. With a 3080. Initially with it undervolted only slightly I'd get at least one crash an hour. It was so bad too that sometimes I couldn't even get past the start screen without it crashing until I reset my PC. Then, after changing it to the stock settings, the crashes went away. After that, I removed the launcher and the crashing started back up.

I've played about 45-50 hours with launcher skip and had 2 crashes. I'd chalk that up to "state of the game" before launcher skip, personally.

Like I said, it could be a coincidence, but if is, it's a funny one. I was getting constant crashes after doing that, and they completely went away after restoring it.

edit: One thing I haven't done though is update my drivers to the "Cyberpunk ready" one. Primarily because the last few drivers have been lowering the frame rate, and after waiting, watched some comparison videos with the newest ones. They lower the frame rate too anywhere from 2 - 12fps with the game they were supposedly optimized for.

Last edited:

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
Not saying the A.I. couldn't be better in spots, but CP77 was never, ever, going to be such that comparisons to friggin Rockstar - the company known for creating unrivaled interactive sandboxes for the last 20 years – were valid. IMO that's sign of over inflated expectations if not some confusion over just what type of experience this was meant to be, which is an RPG-ass-RPG.
That is true, but I think that CDPR brought those Rockstar comparisons on themselves, to some degree at least. With the talk about how alive the city and the npcs within it where going to be, it's not surprising that many were going into this expecting an immersive sim. You could argue that those expectations were silly given CD's track record, but if they had made it clearer that this was going to be a Witcher-style linear rpg from the jump, I think the blowback would've been a little less fierce.