• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
This is the AI comparison I watched:

Lol this is the funniest video I have seen today. That pedestrian made of rubber(?) in cyberpunk who keeps getting up and running away after being literally stomped by the car is just goofiest shit ever.

But yeah I am kinda convinced this game's glitches may get fixed by the end of the year but it's never gonna be an immersive sci-fi experience it was advertised.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
PC players: I sometimes get a huge hit to fps when I talk to (story-related) NPCs or an event starts playing. Like from 60-72 fps to around 30. Anyone else seeing that?

Earlier today, I adjusted my settings based on the Digital Foundry video and it boosted my fps while on the streets (both driving and running) but I entered a small restaurant to meet with a NPC for a story mission and once again, the FPS dropped to 30-40 and eventually rose to around 55 for most of the scene.

LoadRunner

Sep 19, 2020
The lack of vehicles density on the roads is just KILLING immersion; especially when the 2D sprite traffic looks jam packed only 100 feet in front of you... and then you go 5 minutes without seeing a single car come out of it

Missions where you get driven around (Like Lightning Breaks), and not having a SINGLE other car on the road the ENTIRE mission... wtf. I thought my game was bugged until I watched other videos and ya, same thing, zero cars

I'm on PS5 and can't agree more. The streets feel really empty in certain parts, like pretty much everywhere.

Im skeptical the next gen update will be able to make this game look anywhere close to PC.

Will Cyberpunk max out the next gen consoles? It's crazy to think that technically a last gen game will do this!

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PC players: I sometimes get a huge hit to fps when I talk to (story-related) NPCs or an event starts playing. Like from 60-72 fps to around 30. Anyone else seeing that?

Earlier today, I adjusted my settings based on the Digital Foundry video and it boosted my fps while on the streets (both driving and running) but I entered a small restaurant to meet with a NPC for a story mission and once again, the FPS dropped to 30-40 and eventually rose to around 55 for most of the scene.
I think it has to do with individual NPC details when enclosed spaces. I could obviously be wrong, but I experienced similar.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I watched one of those RDR2 NPC comparison videos and was like now show what happens when you step 2 feet away from where the game wants you to be in a mission. The games just have different design goals. That isn't to excuse the abysmal AI in Cyberpunk. They certainly could have done better and that kind of stuff really sucks for people who enjoy going on rampages in these open world games. However, the open world in this game is just the same as the one in The Witcher 3. It is incredibly atmospheric but not very interactive. It lives as a space for CDPR to funnel you to quests and points of interest that they have curated as opposed to implementing systems for the player to mess around with. This is actually similar to some of the discussion that happened during TW3's release, but it was just compared to the systems driven Bethesda games instead of Rockstar ones for obvious reasons.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Do you guys think that the total lack of AI is a placeholder or it's really meant to be this way?

It's not an exageration, the game literally doesn't have any AI systems. The police spawns right next to you, and they're literally not capable of chasing you by car. Random cars in the world follow a set path and are not capable of going around you should you block their path, they just stop until they can proceed through their set route. Absolutely ZERO AI of any kind other than basic "walk to player and die" pathfinding in enclosed spaces. It's really bizarre. It seems like stuff that would be present in an E3 demo so you can show off the game, not the kind of thing that should be present in a commercial product.

The PS2-era GTA games literally have better AI. Well, they have AI at all.
And it's just not that, AI is also embarassing during combat, especially if you play stealth. Whenever a corpse get spotted they just go in this alert mode standing there like complete idiots

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Come on, we should expect bare minimums from companies as time goes on and every developer around move that bare minimum line forward. This isn't 2000, we should want something as basic as traffic ai or police not just spawning around you

I'm not trying to 'defend' it. CDPR screwed up by overpromising; and people went for the hype. I have always been skeptical towards the game given its "ambitions", especially if you know how TW3 played at launch. And to be honest, if I play the game as a 'feature-less but very pretty openworld-Deus Ex-ish more lineair game' it's not that bad. But it's far from what was promised, thats for sure.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
The problem with the AI, and why it is critiqued, is in how the sketchy implementation breaks immersion for some people. The game doesn't necessarily need to be a full blown simulation or complex sandbox GTA-like, but the current AI procedural system for both pedestrians and traffics is so rudimentary that the technical deficiencies compared to almost every other game on the market become apparent. In short, the AI procedurally spawns both NPCs and traffic within local proximity of the player with aggressive culling once said spawns are outside of the player's viewpoint. This leads to both traffic and pedestrian inconsistency and pop-in as it seems to only exist right on top of the player and whatever they're looking at. In addition to this the depth to AI reactivity is extremely shallow, both for NPCs and traffic. Again, it doesn't need to be on the scope of a Rockstar game, but the current depth to the response system is so shallow that basic functions like traffic moving around a parked car don't exist. The traffic AI is so shallow, for example, that it will procedurally spawn in six wheel trucks that are too long to turn down certain streets, but try to get them to turn anyway.

Video game immersion is all about upholding the illusion of interactivity. It's all smoke and mirrors in all games, but knowing where to pull punches and push hard is part of any design pipeline. Everything is "fake", but doing whatever you can to uphold the illusion of something being as close to real as possible, both in presentation and reactivity in a way that convinces us the world is a believable place, is generally the objective of design.

Cyberpunk's fundamental problem with the AI and procedural NPC/traffic generation is that it's so basic, so simple, so fundamentally shallow and limited in both functionality and rendering that the illusion for a lot of players is easily broken. It's not about the density (I actually think the traffic and NPC density is mostly very fine), nor even the variety of assets (as said, NPC clothing/body/face/hair variety is extremely impressive all things considered), but how this world renders and responds in the presence of the player. It all falls apart very quickly, the technical backend all the more obvious, as are the procedural generation limitations, breaking the illusion and resulting in a gorgeous city that feels oddly sterile and a population that is artificial in its functions.

And while we can point fingers at other games that do it much better and claim that Cyberpunk doesn't try to be those games, ergo comparing is unfair, within its own context the execution is still small. The entire Deus Ex series has significantly, drastically smaller play spaces and zones, but the police/NPC presence and AI feels overwhelmingly more hand tailored and genuinely reactive. Almost every single sandbox game on the market for the last 10 years and beyond has more believably reactive and organic delivery of procedurally generated traffic and NPCs, from the entire GTA series to Watch Dogs to Sleeping Dogs to everything else. Even The Witcher 3, a game that shares direct commonality with how NPCs and AI are generated and handled, is more successful at upholding the illusion through context of its direction and design. Geralt cannot attack civilians, and there's no value in attacking guards, so we're content with them just walking around doing their thing. Areas are on average significantly less populated and we spend less time in a single town/village/city, balanced by the game's adventures into negative space, meaning we're more appreciative and less critical of the rudimentary AI behavioural tasks.

Cyberpunk's problem is that by virtue and context of its setting and how regularly the player is swarmed with traffic and NPCs the players subconscious attention to the illusion's nuances are greater, and thus more prone to breaking apart. When you also provide the player with a greater scope of agency in how they interact with the world, like the ability to hijack cars and shoot anyone whenever and wherever, again the illusion breaks down when the technical competency cannot hold up. It's why you get people citing the police system as a great example of just textbook bad open world environment design and weak procedural AI; because it's legitimately worse than how borderline every sandbox and RPG game has handled it for the last decade or more.

Building immersive games is about finding that delicate balance between technology and presentation, upholding the illusion of believability in a world that is fundamentally totally fake. And it's hard. Fucking hard. I want to make it clear I'm not in any way pretending that this is some easy achievement. It's super difficult for everyone on the team; the technology powering the design, and the design in of itself. But with Cyberpunk CDPR absolutely fumbled the illusion of a believably immersive world when we look at how the NPC and traffic procedural generation is handled. It looks incredible. But it's so obviously fake and effortlessly breakable.

Well said as usual. The urban design of Night City impresses me more than any city I have played in a game. But in terms of interactivity, it lags behind GTA games. I actually don't like GTA games though, I find the overall experience rather boring and superficial despite all the style and incidental things you can do. I don't really play games to do incidental stuff. On the other hand, I think the lack of decent AI systems in this game, does a disservice to the quality of the built world they have created.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It is pretty jarring for me to park my motorcycle at the side of the road and then come back 30 minutes later to a traffic jam behind it because none of them could go around it.

I agree that it's things like the AI and general lack of... life... in the world that is the biggest disappointment here.

I have always been skeptical towards the game given its "ambitions", especially if you know how TW3 played at launch.

Only marginally different than it plays now?

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
I don't understand how smart weapons work, aren't they supposed to auto aim for you? Doesn't seem to work on my end. Here's a quick clip (intentionally not aiming correctly to see if the smart weapon works):

I obviously bought the mod that lets me use smart weapons and equipped it.

What am I doing wrong?

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Lol this is the funniest video I have seen today. That pedestrian made of rubber(?) in cyberpunk who keeps getting up and running away after being literally stomped by the car is just goofiest shit ever.

But yeah I am kinda convinced this game's glitches may get fixed by the end of the year but it's never gonna be an immersive sci-fi experience it was advertised.

Ai can also be fixed with some hefty patches, but the damage is done, most they can hope for is a No mans sky redemption arc

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If CDPR didn't want to be compared to Rockstar games, they shouldn't have spent the last few years hyping up their world to a ridiculous degree.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
And it's just not that, AI is also embarassing during combat, especially if you play stealth. Whenever a corpse get spotted they just go in this alert mode standing there like complete idiots

This is the primary issue with the AI. Most of the time it isn't like this for me, they will at least default to kind of a basic patrol state, but every now and then I get this where they just kind of stand there.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah stealth is pretty much completely broken in this game, at least with the systems they give you to attempt stealth.

Basically silenced guns are useless as there are not one hit headshots.

Also your companion npcs keep telling you to use stealth after your cover is blown.

As soon as any cover is blown it's blown for the entire rest of the mission.

It's pretty bad.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The more I play this the more I think the interface is bad enough to harm the experience of the game. So many little things that should have been obvious. Why doesn't it say what mods apply to specifically? If I pick up a new scope or silencer, or if I'm buying one from a vendor, I have to guess of it will actually fit the weapon I want?

I got a cyberware mod, but not even the faintest idea what cyberware it could possibly go to. It just says incendiary rounds(or it might have been explosive?). Why is that a cyberware mod anyway, it doesn't even make sense. An actual weapon mod would have made more sense. And again I don't know what cyberware I would have to purchase and install to attach the mod to.

I also got a pop up saying tech weapons can shoot through walls, why doesn't their description say that as power weapons say they ricochet? And did they mix up the power and tech weapon icons, because tech weapon icon looks like a bullet ricocheting and the power weapon icons looks like a bullet penetrating.

And why does the inventory "reset" and jump up when I'm trying to dismantle or sell stuff. Trying to sell my weaker weapons and it jumps back near the top and I have to keep going back down.

Also sometimes quick hacks cost a lot more to use on some enemies but I can't find anything explaining why. Are they a higher level? Do they have some sort of hack defense?

And then there's little things like it doesn't do any sort of noise or affirmation when you craft something. Not a huge deal but seems odd to have no feedback.
Yeah I meant to say something but the onboarding and ui are terrible. A lot of noise but not doing anything

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how smart weapons work, aren't they supposed to auto aim for you? Doesn't seem to work on my end. Here's a quick clip (intentionally not aiming correctly to see if the smart weapon works):

I obviously bought the mod that lets me use smart weapons and equipped it.

What am I doing wrong?

I think some enemies have something equipped that deflects smart bullets so you can't rely on smart weapons all the time

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There might need to be a new medical diagnosis for terminal embarrassment after that Twitter post lol. They're really trying to say "oh whoops we forgot to show it running at 15 fps? Daaamn my bad y'all"

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
This is the AI comparison I watched:

And no, I don't mean to say Cyberpunk has to be GTA in every aspect but it clearly borrows many elements and then proceeds to perform them very poorly compared to the original counterpart. That's what I have an issue with and couldn't unsee which is why I wanted to remind myself with a video on YouTube to see if I'm nuts or what.

Revolutionary gameplay, nothing else like it, 10/10

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine a lot of this stuff was caught in QA testing but cdpr mgmt literally just said fuck it ship it.

The one month delay was like ok y'all get a month to fix what you can of this mess but that's it. Doesn't matter how much left there is too fix we're shipping it for Christmas.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017

I've had both happen. One they'd stand there, and another they'll patrol. I feel like it's a bug? I actually have no idea anymore lol but I still stealth through everything

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think that the total lack of AI is a placeholder or it's really meant to be this way?

It's not an exageration, the game literally doesn't have any AI systems. The police spawns right next to you, and they're literally not capable of chasing you by car. Random cars in the world follow a set path and are not capable of going around you should you block their path, they just stop until they can proceed through their set route. Absolutely ZERO AI of any kind other than basic "walk to player and die" pathfinding in enclosed spaces. It's really bizarre. It seems like stuff that would be present in an E3 demo so you can show off the game, not the kind of thing that should be present in a commercial product.

The PS2-era GTA games literally have better AI. Well, they have AI at all.

It's clearly meant to be this way. This game was never supposed to be GTA, that was a marketing lie. It's supposed to be Deus Ex with added cars. The Witcher 3 is also a good example, if you act up in cities then the guards will kill you. You can't defeat them because they are so OP that a single swipe will kill you. You not meant to act out in the cities because that breaks the "role-play" of the world and Geralt's role.

Similarly, you're not meant to act out in 2077. V can be an asshole but they aren't supposed to be someone that goes around shooting up markets for fun. The police are there to end you if you act out too much. The 1 star is there for when you just make a little mistake and allows you to quickly run away to get rid of it.

The rest of the NPCs are just set dressing because the real interactivity is supposed to come in missions not the overworld. However, where it drops the ball is by going so BIG they lack the handcrafted care of their world like a Deus Ex. In Mankind Divided, the last entry, the NPCs were all unqiue and had something to say beyond simply "fuck off." The random conversations they had with each other had meaning and the things they'd shout about in the street further reinforced the game's world. This is much easier to do when your "open-world" is much smaller and you can put care into these little details. However, CDPR can't know to script randomly spawned NPC on the sidewalk of some random street to say something relevant.

I think they should have done a mixed approach where key locations had more "interactive" NPCs, so places like your Apartment building, Ju-Ju Street, certain market squares, etc. Those key places should have more bespoked NPC interactions than just randos in the overworld. Now, this is kind of the case. You will notice that NPCs in these locations do and say a bit more, but it's not enough.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on PS5 and can't agree more. The streets feel really empty in certain parts, like pretty much everywhere.

Im skeptical the next gen update will be able to make this game look anywhere close to PC.

Will Cyberpunk max out the next gen consoles? It's crazy to think that technically a last gen game will do this!

It's going to interesting- normally they would have just saved a 60 fps mode for next gen and that would have felt like an instant upgrade. But with 60 fps already present in the BC versions it's going to make improvements a lot less noticeable for a high framerate mode. They can probably do a lot with a proper Quality 30 fps mode, including ray tracing, but it's going to feel like a downgrade for a lot of people to go 60 to 30.

Maybe AMD will come through on their DLSS equivalent in the meantime and they can use that. Because without a proper DLSS equivalent it's hard to see how they are going to get within even spitting distance of the PC versions right now.

Yeah stealth is pretty much completely broken in this game, at least with the systems they give you to attempt stealth.

Also your companion npcs keep telling you to use stealth after your cover is blown.

It's pretty bad.

Hmm, I've been able to re-stealth on quite a few of the large scale missions in the game. But I've also had the game bug out and put me in combat during an elevator ride when I entered it stealthed (in The Heist).

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017

It's pretty bad.

You can def do one shot headshots. I have been doing it for the entire game, basically. You have to look at the actual damage per shot, not DPS. Revolvers are generally the best for this paired with the Cool and Reflex perks. You can also restealth, but its kinda tough. It gets easier once you get the quickhack to remove someone from combat status.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the game would have been so much better with a hub like Prague in Mankind Divided.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
My apartment building is going through an electricity outage so I'm reading through the games guide book. It is so much more helpful than the in game tutorials. I snagged this book during a price glitch, but people should not have to buy and read through a guide book for basic information.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can def do one shot headshots. I have been doing it for the entire game, basically. You have to look at the actual damage per shot, not DPS. Revolvers are generally the best for this paired with the Cool and Reflex perks. You can also restealth, but its kinda tough. It gets easier once you get the quickhack to remove someone from combat status.

You couldn't at the beginning of the game when they give you a silencer.

I haven't bothered trying since but I do have some nicer pistols now so I'll give it a go again.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
This game does not like overclocked GPU's it seems.

I haven't had any issues with my OC with other graphically demanding games, but Cyberpunk would constantly crash. I had to dial back my OC a bit and now it seems to be more stable.

It doesn't like undervolted cards either. It's even more sensitive than Control in that regard, and that game was considered to be very sensitive to undervolting. This also might just be a coincidence, but it seems like it also doesn't like you skipping the launcher either. I was getting constant crashing when doing that, and I actually haven't had a single crash (with previously having around thirty so far) last night after restoring the launcher.

I can't recommend getting a motorcycle enough. So, so much better.

V's starter is a piece of shit and there are better cars out there, but I never came across anything that made me wanted to opt out of a bike.

For sure. I haven't purposefully driven my own car ever since getting a motorcycle. Way easier to maneuver in general, and can be ridden between traffic too.

Last edited:

SkekesisVR

Jan 2, 2018
Is anyone else having this issue??

I'd say in about half of the cutscenes my character immediate sticks both arms straight out at the start. If she was supposed to grab something, those things just kinda float in front of her.

It's even better in a car, because it seems to just keep pointing in the same initial direction that the arms started pointing in. So they spin around all crazy as I'm driving

https://stadia.google.com/capture/8d7a3015-c745-41f7-8a47-eabfe4a32ff3

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
This game has it's issues, however I want to share some love too...

The mission system tries something very different, and I really appreciate it: Instead of running up to an NPC with a "!" above their head, NPCs reach out to you when you're in their vicinity offering a job/gig. It creates a fluid job acquisition system (that can something be overwhelming too!), but I LOVE that they're doing something different. Picking up mission from NPC the traditional way has it's place for sure, but it's so nice to have something new.

Note: If someone reaches out to you with a job/gig, try to take it ASAP as it's probably 30 seconds away. :)

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I watched one of those RDR2 NPC comparison videos and was like now show what happens when you step 2 feet away from where the game wants you to be in a mission. The games just have different design goals. That isn't to excuse the abysmal AI in Cyberpunk. They certainly could have done better and that kind of stuff really sucks for people who enjoy going on rampages in these open world games. However, the open world in this game is just the same as the one in The Witcher 3. It is incredibly atmospheric but not very interactive. It lives as a space for CDPR to funnel you to quests and points of interest that they have curated as opposed to implementing systems for the player to mess around with. This is actually similar to some of the discussion that happened during TW3's release, but it was just compared to the systems driven Bethesda games instead of Rockstar ones for obvious reasons.

Yeah, the mission design in RDR2 on the other hand, is very restrictive. I prefer more variety of approach for actual missions, over lots of incidental activities in the open world that don't amount to all that much. Well, I would prefer both, but I don't really play games to piss about with mundane stuff, since I can do most of that stuff in my daily life. I am not arguing against the, but I do think there are a number of things that I prefer in Cyberpunk compared to RDR2, and mission design is one of them.

May 26, 2018
The problem with the AI, and why it is critiqued, is in how the sketchy implementation breaks immersion for some people. The game doesn't necessarily need to be a full blown simulation or complex sandbox GTA-like, but the current AI procedural system for both pedestrians and traffics is so rudimentary that the technical deficiencies compared to almost every other game on the market become apparent. In short, the AI procedurally spawns both NPCs and traffic within local proximity of the player with aggressive culling once said spawns are outside of the player's viewpoint. This leads to both traffic and pedestrian inconsistency and pop-in as it seems to only exist right on top of the player and whatever they're looking at. In addition to this the depth to AI reactivity is extremely shallow, both for NPCs and traffic. Again, it doesn't need to be on the scope of a Rockstar game, but the current depth to the response system is so shallow that basic functions like traffic moving around a parked car don't exist. The traffic AI is so shallow, for example, that it will procedurally spawn in six wheel trucks that are too long to turn down certain streets, but try to get them to turn anyway.

Video game immersion is all about upholding the illusion of interactivity. It's all smoke and mirrors in all games, but knowing where to pull punches and push hard is part of any design pipeline. Everything is "fake", but doing whatever you can to uphold the illusion of something being as close to real as possible, both in presentation and reactivity in a way that convinces us the world is a believable place, is generally the objective of design.

Cyberpunk's fundamental problem with the AI and procedural NPC/traffic generation is that it's so basic, so simple, so fundamentally shallow and limited in both functionality and rendering that the illusion for a lot of players is easily broken. It's not about the density (I actually think the traffic and NPC density is mostly very fine), nor even the variety of assets (as said, NPC clothing/body/face/hair variety is extremely impressive all things considered), but how this world renders and responds in the presence of the player. It all falls apart very quickly, the technical backend all the more obvious, as are the procedural generation limitations, breaking the illusion and resulting in a gorgeous city that feels oddly sterile and a population that is artificial in its functions.

You know what the AI feels like to me?

It feels like you've noclipped through a wall in a linear FPS and ended up somewhere you're not supposed to be. That's, like... the best way I can describe it. They can react to you from behind a window as background ambiance, but you're not supposed to get out to the street.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a setting to turn off the floating names above various NPCs' heads? I swear it wasn't there for the entire prologue and beyond but now it's there and I don't like it.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I don't think any mainstream release since the Rise of Skywalker managed to piss all sides off so Thoroughly...

- actual progressive/socially aware people: see OP
- people who care about the state of the industry: crunch and everything surrounding CDPRs work environment
- CDPR white knights: tricking (console) consumers on purpose
- hardcore right-leaning chuds: acknowledging trans people at all
- normal person who simply plays the biggest releases on their ps4/xone: "it runs, surprisingly. Well...."
- hardcore gaming community: not evolving open world and AI design at all, even going a few Stepan ack from the established standard

You can't fuck up this bad on purpose

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
After all the hype it was fair to expect SOME bars to be raised. But all we got was the bar clipping through someone's head.

Not saying the A.I. couldn't be better in spots, but CP77 was never, ever, going to be such that comparisons to friggin Rockstar - the company known for creating unrivaled interactive sandboxes for the last 20 years – were valid. IMO that's sign of over inflated expectations if not some confusion over just what type of experience this was meant to be, which is an RPG-ass-RPG.

Oct 27, 2017
I've hit multiple bugs so far that have required a restart of the game. I'm on series X and I hit one last night that required me to go back to a save hours back to fix. I'm playing as a net runner so I rarely need to pull out my gun. I did not realize my game was messed up until I screwed up a stealth kill and needed to pull out my weapon. The game made the noise of pulling out my gun but nothing showed on screen and I was not allowed to shoot. I also had the double jump skill that I could not use as well.

I had saved multiple times before and when loading those old files I found that the bug affected those saves as well. I traced it back to when I went to the ripper doc in the badlands. As long as I loaded a save before that point I had access to my guns and double jump again. I won't be going to that guy again until I hear about future patches.

I still love the game and it feels like an advanced version of the last few Deus Ex titles but I'm sad that this games is so buggy.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It doesn't like undervolted cards either. It's even more sensitive than Control in that regard, and that game was considered to be very sensitive to undervolting. This also might just be a coincidence, but it seems like it also doesn't like you skipping the launcher either. I was getting constant crashing when doing that, and I actually haven't had a single crash (with previously having around thirty so far) last night after restoring the launcher.

That's an intersting point about the launcher skip, thanks for mentioning it. I'll add it back and see if that helps.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any mainstream release since the Rise of Skywalker managed to piss all sides off so Thoroughly...

- actual progressive/socially aware people: see OP
- people who care about the state of the industry: crunch and everything surrounding CDPRs work environment
- CDPR white knights: tricking (console) consumers on purpose
- hardcore right-leaning chuds: acknowledging trans people at all
- normal person who simply plays the biggest releases on their ps4/xone: "it runs, surprisingly. Well...."
- hardcore gaming community: not evolving open world and AI design at all, even going a few Stepan ack from the established standard

You can't fuck up this bad on purpose
based on this thread alone, there are plenty of people that this game didn't piss off.

It feels like there are a lot of people on internet wanting to see this game flop, but that wont be the case.