• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Guess that all the reports of current gen hardware having problems and holding back the game were true then.
Saw a lot of people saying it was bullshit at the time. Will wait for the ps5 version, as long as it takes

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

I know this is all early game stuff, but here's our coverage on the game running on PC/PS4/Pro/PS5/XBO/XSS - Now I think I'm going to lie down, and go play it on PC for a bit as I'm actually enjoying the game.

WesleyShark

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Just over 50hrs logged into the game on the XSX, and I don't think I've hit Act 2 yet. Or at least, didn't notice that I have. There's so much to do, so many places to explore. Finding myself lost on foot or driving around, as one would do in a new city.

Absolutely loving this game, through and through.

Patchy

Oct 29, 2017
After Evelyn killed herself I got a text from Judy saying she was going to get drunk, but no new missions have popped up since. It's been 6 or so real hours of gameplay since then.

I've progressed all main questlnes except for the voodoo boys, have I done something to kill off her questline by accident?

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I'm about 15 hours in an enjoying it well enough. After finding your build the game starts to take a better shape (i.e training your hacking skills, stealth, demolitions etc). Stealth becomes WAY more viable after leveling up your breaching and quickhacking skills. I'm hoping I have that Witcher 3 moment where it opens up after Valen and you realize you've barely started the game after 30 hours.

The instant spawning cops are the disappointing though. If this is supposed to be taking after Deus Ex and VTMB, those games let you get away with a lot if you played it smartly. In the open world, they don't allow your actions to have much subtlety.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
First time heading into night city, like the actual city and not the outer boros areas is such a huge wow moment. It's gorgeous on the XSX. I keep switching between quality and performance on there but thinking I'm just going to settle on performance. Luckily unlike Miles Morales it doesn't make you reboot the whole load when you do that.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Fun fact: this game is supposed to be receiving expansions like The Witcher 3.

I wonder if these expansions will even release on PS4 / One lol

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
Keeping CDPR (and yes, indirectly DF) from promoting and profiting off this game is at least somewhat the point.

is it promoting though? People in the thread will have most likely already bought the game and just want to help other people or ask for help optimising and running the game. I dont really see how that is promoting the game imo.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
After Evelyn killed herself I got a text from Judy saying she was going to get drunk, but no new missions have popped up since. It's been 6 or so real hours of gameplay since then.

I've progressed all main questlnes except for the voodoo boys, have I done something to kill off her questline by accident?

This one took a good long while to get going for me again, I did a good chunk of main / side missions before she called me again for that quest line. I could be mistaken but I think it must track in-game days before giving you new missions? I would try skipping a couple of days using the in-game time skip to see if that would help.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
The Sinnerman side quest has to be the buggiest mess of a quest I've come across so far. The world lighting changes twice during the car chase, cars are spawning and despawning right infront of your eyes, the NYPD car coming to a hault infront of you seems to have animations and effects missing and once you shoot the target a giant police force spawns less than a meter behind you.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018

I wonder if they will actually do expansions since there is a multiplayer version coming with MTX that will make money for them like GTA Online and we all have seen that even Rockstar gave up on expansions when they can just release MTX after MTX.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I was wondering how much 'punk' there is at the end of it ended on just another Cyberpunk in just the aesthetics?
Even for it's shortcomings and questionable stuff, TW3 had some strong core values against xenophobia, racism, toxic masculinity, class issues, etc...it would be a shame if this game does not even attempt to reach something similar specially being Cyberpunk.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
I wonder if they will actually do expansions since there is a multiplayer version coming with MTX that will make money for them like GTA Online and we all have seen that even Rockstar gave up on expansions when they can just release MTX after MTX.
Seeing the state the game is right now I doubt multiplayer will ship next year. And if it does whether people will actually want to play it.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
That also begs the question: how the fuck is the multiplayer gonna run on base consoles lmao

plow

Oct 28, 2017

Looks like the game actually runs worse now on Series X? Dips in high 40. while driving. Also lol at that Xbox One version, 10-15 Fps is Skyrim PS3 level of bad. This game should have never passed certification.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
lol this game ain't finding the success of GTAO in its current state thats for sure.

In fact, they will need to overheaul entire game systems for it to have even the slightest chance. And rockstar put GTAO out 2 weeks after launch. This will be a year at least if not more.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
OM114aT.png

ECla7tK.jpg

AE5DC4A2141BE9A349E869BA4C907968E81D50CE

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is also comparable. overly long long dev time, delays, promised many things which weren´t in the game like driving cars, cut content, rushed story, riddled with bugs and glitches as well as shoddy systems to the point that only mods could fix the game.

I never had the pleasure of playing STALKER unmodded.
It's impossible to die since you swim in health boosts.
Ive ran through a few mines and died. Enemy ai is terrible though.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017

They promised it multiple times. Those promises can easily be broken of course but I think with all the negative press surrounding it they don't want more. But then again the talk about this game will move on over time of course so who knows.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Looting objects off the ground/tables is a gamble each time.

I see the icon, I walk up to it, I try to pick it up/use it and I can't lol...

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
is it promoting though? People in the thread will have most likely already bought the game and just want to help other people or ask for help optimising and running the game. I dont really see how that is promoting the game imo.

Yeah, I don't think it is necessarily effective, but it is the messy way to disrupt a product when the power imbalance is so severe. And while this negativity may not affect CD Project making a profit on this game, it will very likely affect their next product. Personally, I would be happy with a PC optimisation thread and think there should be one, since it really has nothing to do with advantaging CD PRoject, but I think since in general I don't think we as consumers are particularly good at mobilising our power as consumers, there is going to be inconsistency. I understand and support the treatment of CD Project on here, even as I admit that this issue is not the main issue that i campaign on, I am sympathetic to the demands and it has to be necessarily uncomfortable, otherwise it will be even less effective.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017

Windows Central Review said:
This is the most immersive open-world I have ever experienced. Cyberpunk 2077 is now the standard-bearer for marrying artistic license with cutting-edge technology.

From a design perspective, Night City is an open-world playground without equal.

Every corner of this simulation is designed to enhance the game world's believability, and it's all the more immersive for it.

We're not talking about bugs(nax) here, this is their answer to wanted levels or notoriety systems from other open world games.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Looting objects off the ground/tables is a gamble each time.

I see the icon, I walk up to it, I try to pick it up/use it and I can't lol...

Stop while there is still hope.

I'm addicted and it is a problem. It slows the game down to a crawl because I must loot everything :(

On topic- there are way too many pointless shard messages laying around. The people in charge of the loot system had zero oversight.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Just... how? How do you make a game like this?

How does nobody involved with this go: 'Uh, maybe we shouldn't make the police teleport right on top of you in a really obvious way?'

They must have had a much different wanted system right up until the very close to release date. I reckon they had some issues with it so very quickly patched in this "version" as a make shift replacement.

Stop while there is still hope.

I'm addicted and it is a problem. It slows the game down to a crawl because I must loot everything :(

On topic- there are way too many pointless shard messages laying around. The people in charge of the loot system had zero oversight.

They really need to look at how looting is done in the recent Assassins Creed games, it feels effortless. Switching between playing this and AC Valhalla this week and the looting in this feels like it was designed by somebody who had never played a modern video game before, clunky at best.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

I know this is all early game stuff, but here's our coverage on the game running on PC/PS4/Pro/PS5/XBO/XSS - Now I think I'm going to lie down, and go play it on PC for a bit as I'm actually enjoying the game.

Great videos - two suggestions of mine would be to include the name of the console we're currently looking at as an overlay somewhere, because i'm sure there's folks who just skim through the video. (unless that's an intentional choice to boost actual viewing metrics instead of having people just click some timecode and take a screencap)

edit: oh, that seems to be the case in the Playstation video, it's not in the Xbox video. My bad.

Also, the frame rate graph's Y axis constantly jumps, which kind of makes the base level console's performance look better than it is - because when it's hovering around 24fps the Y axis scales to 25 being the max, it looks like it's almost reaching proper (30fps) frame rate, when in fact it's only almost reaching 25.

QSJWbLy.png

like here, the graph looks like it's just struggling to reach a locked frame rate, when in actuality - as soon as you look at the axis labels - it's struggling to ... well ... reach Ocarina Of Time frame rates...

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
ha, play on Very Hard. I am a stealth build and can easily get 1-shot by enemies. Also, poison (corrosive?) grenades SUCK in Very Hard.

Anyone know if you can increase difficulty mid-game? Started on normal but I've felt overpowered since Act 1. Instakills from stealth and practically instakills with melee. At the same time I find it immersion breaking when enemies can take 10+ headshots so I don't want everyone to just be a sponge.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty glaringly obvious to me that they cut down a lot of game logic like pathing, NPC scheduling and spawning etc etc to get the game to a point where it's even performing on base consoles.

I'm wondering if the "next gen" patch is more than just visuals and also adds these things back in to PC and current gen consoles as they won't have to worry about last gen CPU then, and then specifically optimise the current gen version to be its own thing. I suspect they thought it'd have been a bigger PR nightmare if the game world and logic were different between last gen and current gen/PC, as it was advertised as a current gen game, than it would if the game world and logic end up being different a few months to a year down. If not then maybe they'll do it in an enhanced edition as they've done in the past. It all depends on how much they want to salvage it, and how much good will they build up, which would require fixing the last gen version as well.

They need the goodwill though as it'd mean the game sells some more again when it's properly fixed with an "enhanced edition" and allow them to do a sequel rather than go back to Witcher (which is happening undoubtedly at some point).

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, game...

side quest is from the "street prophet" guy (Garry)

saw it comin'

Last edited:

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Great videos - two suggestions of mine would be to include the name of the console we're currently looking at as an overlay somewhere, because i'm sure there's folks who just skim through the video. (unless that's an intentional choice to boost actual viewing metrics instead of having people just click some timecode and take a screencap)

edit: oh, that seems to be the case in the Playstation video, it's not in the Xbox video. My bad.

Also, the frame rate graph's Y axis constantly jumps, which kind of makes the base level console's performance look better than it is - because when it's hovering around 24fps the Y axis scales to 25 being the max, it looks like it's almost reaching proper (30fps) frame rate, when in fact it's only almost reaching 25.

QSJWbLy.png

like here, the graph looks like it's just struggling to reach a locked frame rate, when in actuality - as soon as you look at the axis labels - it's struggling to ... well ... reach Ocarina Of Time frame rates...

The lack of console descriptions in the Xbox vid was entirely my fault, I was on a tight timeline to get it out, only realised after the upload and ran out of time :(

As for the frame rate graph - the software unfortunately has that limitation. I'm looking at ways round it, as I know it's not ideal. Hopefully going to get it figured out relatively soon...

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017

I wonder how many copies they sold on old consoles. This game should be a next gen only release. But what GTA5 did was not that much better on PS3 and 360 and still everyone played it.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
We need to talk about something. The options the game gives you to enter a building are exactly what they promised way back. Multiple entry points and YOU can choose how you reach your destination in the building. Attribute checks grant you additional options.

Just now I slaughtered half a casino silently when I realized that they had a guy standing at the entrance who would have allowed me to enter by paying a small amount of money, but I entered via some back entrance first.

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
The Sinnerman side quest has to be the buggiest mess of a quest I've come across so far. The world lighting changes twice during the car chase, cars are spawning and despawning right infront of your eyes, the NYPD car coming to a hault infront of you seems to have animations and effects missing and once you shoot the target a giant police force spawns less than a meter behind you.
I had to reload this one because I started shooting and an entire army spawned up my ass. Don't shoot! You can finish this quest without firing a shot.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
We need to talk about something. The options the game gives you to enter a building are exactly what they promised way back. Multiple entry points and YOU can choose how you reach your destination in the building. Attribute checks grant you additional options.

Just now I slaughtered half a casino silently when I realized that they had a guy standing at the entrance who would habe allowed me to enter by paying a small amount of money, but I entered via some back entrance first.

I had a gig to steal something, I could pay, fight my way through or look around and research and stealth my way to the item. It's a lot like Deus Ex in that way and I love it.

Just now I slaughtered half a casino silently when I realized that they had a guy standing at the entrance who would have allowed me to enter by paying a small amount of money, but I entered via some back entrance first.
sounds like the police station mission from deus ex human Revolution.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
It's the beginning of a side quest that I do recommend you play.
Right, I get that but I just got into the car and there was another car right in front of my parked car ready to hit me for absolutely no reason 😂

🤣

When intended quests are indistinguishable from jank.
Exactly.. on PS5 got into my parked car with no cars near it and suddenly a car spawned in front of me to wreck into me in the garage.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I play on hard and I have died often. Only now with more skills and perks I am becoming more durable.
Yeah, I play on hard too and I've died like... quite a bit lol.

Like you don't even get a chance to use a healing item.

Right, I get that but I just got into the car and there was another car right in front of my parked car ready to hit me for absolutely no reason 😂
Oh yeah... I liked that one.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
2020 is such a messed up year that even a decade long awaited game like CB2077 that was going to save the year last minute ended up being a shitty mess. Looks like this year is fucking with people in purpose lmao.

I wonder what the cherry on top will be on december 31st.