• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

elseanio

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I have had the same issue several times where it wont allow me to scroll up and down through dialog options (PS5).

Anyone had this? Is it something I'm doing to cause it?

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely have an even bigger appreciation for Rockstar games after playing this, they're levels above what's on display here. I mean Night City is pretty at times I guess, but even then only at times. It looks weirdly flat during the say and the illusion collapses if you so much as push it an inch. The main story is keeping me playing but i've yet to find a side quest worth mentioning, i am early in Act 2 though.

Has anyone got the car from the trailers yet? How do you get it? I've just got a motorbike and its ass.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You're very defensive of the game in your posts. It doesn't have to be everything to be enjoyable, you know that, right?

The differences are miniscule. There are multiple endings, that's true, but the overall narrative is pretty much the same, whether you sweet talk, bribe or beat a character to make them help you, for example.

lmaaao this guy straight up says something ENTIRELY untrue and then says I'm the one being defensive. Have you even played the game mate? Or did you read this on reddit?

There is a main quest early on with 5 different variations. There is a gig I just did that has 3 different endings. Your previous post was absolutely rediculous, and you know it.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
Yup, every time it crashes. Luckily I only turn auto aim and chromatic aberration/film grain off so doesn't take long to fix but given I've had 10 plus crashes pretty annoying. Keeps the difficulty setting at least.

And yeah I thought gigs were generic but then I had 3 or 4 that were as meaty as side jobs and had multiple endings 🤷‍♂️ Game needs more subclasses for side quests because there's tons of really great ones in the game.

How many jobs is Regina going to give me? I'm addicted and have completed 15 or so of her gigs. They seem really meaty to me. Taking out cyberpsychos, rescuing people from gang hideouts, destroying drug labs, etc. I've also got like 55k cash. I'm only up to the "meet Jackie at Afterlife" main mission, lol.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Playing on hard I'm really struggling with some enemies (I'm about 10 hours in) - they kill me in a couple of shots. Might have to drop down to normal or buy some armour etc

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
lmaaao this guy straight up says something ENTIRELY untrue and then says I'm the one being defensive. Have you even played the game mate? Or did you read this on reddit?

There is a main quest early on with 5 different variations. There is a gig I just did that has 3 different endings. Your previous post was absolutely rediculous, and you know it.

"Ridiculous".
But anyway, I guess you're referring to the Maelstrom quest, right? That's a case in point - it doesn't matter what you do, you'll walk away with the Flathead and nothing changes. Not your relationship with major characters, not the story, not the repercussions. It's window dressing.

And yes, I'm 30 hours in the game.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
The further I get in on PS5 the more framerate has become an issue for me, more enemies and NPCs and bigger environments, coupled with increased mobility really makes it noticeable, I wish there was an option to turn off screen shaking while running, I know it's supposed to be immersive, but coupled with the frame drops it's a bit jarring.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad that MS kindly refunded me the game. Godspeed to all you who are choosing to persevere with what it currently
Is.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
I thought that chosing Corpo's path would be different, TBH, like a lot of political things going on, maybe less action and more subtle tactics and different missions, but 5 hours in, I just feel like, actually, a street kid? Even the way my V talks does not sound like a Corpo would sound at all, I don't know...

Maybe further in the game this will change.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
"Ridiculous".
But anyway, I guess you're referring to the Maelstrom quest, right? That's a case in point - it doesn't matter what you do, you'll walk away with the Flathead and nothing changes. Not your relationship with major characters, not the story, not the repercussions. It's window dressing.

You said: "But in regards to your narrative choices and their impacts, nothing really matters, so it's more like a linear action adventure game."

This is not a linear action adventure game. That is the ridiculous statement which is a lie. You can do quests in any order (not the main quest ofc) and there are multiple outcomes to them. Unfortunately we do not live in the actual 2077 where games have AI NPCs that spawn 100 different possibilities. Cyberpunk's type of quest storytelling and design is really the best we can get right now in the AAA space. If you have any examples of something better then I'd really love to play them, because they do not exist. It is your fault for expecting this to be reality.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
pm7d6224eu461.jpg
😂😂

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
There's a ridiculous bug for all AMD CPUs where it only uses half of the available cores, hence extreme FPS variance on AMD systems (some areas will tank you to half your usual framerate). There's a fix for this available on the Nexus, which will finally allow your CPU utilization to rise above the 40-50% cap you usually see in this game.

It's like CDPR are trying to make Bethesda look better, with all the "let the modders fix the game" memes. They're taking that to some extreme measures with Cyberpunk =P

107-1607849951-175543836.jpeg
So, thanks to your post I'm having far less issues with performance. Kinda insane the game released with this bug, especially given the recent relative popularity of AMD CPUs.

Actually played for a decent amount of time and was able to just enjoy the game instead of fiddling with settings every 10 minutes.

Specs if interested:
1080ti
Ryzen 5 3600
16gb RAM

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I thought that chosing Corpo's path would be different, TBH, like a lot of political things going on, maybe less action and more subtle tactics and different missions, but 5 hours in, I just feel like, actually, a street kid? Even the way my V talks does not sound like a Corpo would sound at all, I don't know...

I think I'm near the end as a corpo and I dont think its spoiling to say shit barely mattered.

Zularti

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I agree. My old Shadowrun char is ex-corpo but he was a salaryman computer guy who got burned by his company. That's what I was hoping for here. I felt more like I was just some corporate thug though not just like a worker bee.

The extra dialogue options you get for being corpo out in the world and on quests are pretty cool. Huge let down for the start for me though.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's a RPG in the sense that you can spec your character differently and approach combat encounters in various ways.

But in regards to your narrative choices and their impacts, nothing really matters, so it's more like a linear action adventure game.
You're very defensive of the game in your posts. It doesn't have to be everything to be enjoyable, you know that, right?

The differences are miniscule. There are multiple endings, that's true, but the overall narrative is pretty much the same, whether you sweet talk, bribe or beat a character to make them help you, for example.
This is straight up just not true at all. There have been multiple quests with multiple outcomes and differences that I have discussed with my friends. Why are you lying?

"Ridiculous".

I've been enjoying this exchange
tenor.gif

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I mean pretty much every rpg keeps real repercussions to side quests or factions and then has multiple late game decisions that affect the endings and don't really take your previous actions into account. Planescape, Fallout New Vegas,
Trash Effect
or hell most recently Disco Elysium which is literally window dressing the game despite being great.

Hard to take thousands of permutations into account outside of slideshows but alas.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
You said: "But in regards to your narrative choices and their impacts, nothing really matters, so it's more like a linear action adventure game."

This is not a linear action adventure game. That is the ridiculous statement which is a lie. You can do quests in any order (not the main quest ofc) and there are multiple outcomes to them. Unfortunately we do not live in the actual 2077 where games have AI NPCs that spawn 100 different possibilities. Cyberpunk's type of quest storytelling and design is really the best we can get right now in the AAA space. If you have any examples of something better then I'd really love to play them, because they do not exist. It is your fault for expecting this to be reality.

Eh, Fallout 4 does nonlinear RPG miles better than Cyberpunk, and I'm not even that fond of Fallout.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

The backgrounds seem to only add the extra dialogue option occasionally (which to be fair does actually make them "sound" like a corpo/street kid, etc). Basically exactly like how Mass Effect handled it.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah the lack of player agency in the story is a bit of a so what situation I think. I only wish they had more curated content and unique ways to deal with missions based on your background and specialties. That aspect of the game feels too limited.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty sure you always have the same apartment etc too. At least from watching someone else pick a different start. Just love picking the rich person class and still ending up in the same dump either way.

Wow, so disappointing. I was really hoping the paths would provide bigger differences, but it seems to be another surface-level feature.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Wow so the game is kinda wack huh? Think I'll hold out copping til next year on sale or something
For all my complaints the game isn't whack. Just sort of a solid 7 for me when for as hyped as it was I was hoping for a 9. Is there some hyperbole to get across the letdowns? Probably but I think there is some hyperbole about what the game does well, since I as I said be it the rpg or open world aspects there's games in its class that outclass it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I've been enjoying this exchange
tenor.gif
Should read the one prior where they dismiss all the criticism as outrage and get increasingly belligerent when the point isn't taken seriously. I swear the more ardent CDPR fans should have a form of the narcissists prayer.

That's not true.
If it is, it's not that bad.
If it was, that's not a big deal.
If it is, it's not CDPR's fault.
If it was, they didn't mean it.
If they did, it's your fault for expecting too much.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the police have ever arrived to try and stop me breaking stuff and please don't judge me...murdering people. I might have done that once or tw..hundreds of times and never had the police come for me. I didn't even realise the police "could" arrive until I read it in here, I assumed there might have been a small fine or a mild rebuke for killing lots of people. That or the game was broken.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Life path stuff seems worthless. Most dialogue check options seem to be worthless too. I did the gun range challenge and I failed the first time cause I ran out of ammo and didn't notice all the boxes of ammo on the ground until too late. But, I sent through all the end of mission dialogue with Wilson after losing. Then I reloaded my quick save, won the competition and after getting the prize I had dialogue options with Wilson. One was a reflex 11 check, I picked that, and it was the exact same dialogue he gives you with no check if you lose the challenge.

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
My Tech Ability is at 10, but my crafting is at 4 and moves at a snail's pace.

What has helped me (crafting level 12 atm), is getting the perk to auto disassemble. I know people have said to sell junk, but I've found that money is easily enough obtained, especially if you're comfortable with the "jacked in" data mining spots.

I then craft all my own health consumables and that's been helpful, and I upgrade my items and gear since I have an aesthetic and play style that I like. I also buy the crafting specs each time I visit a new vendor and play with those.

Your mileage may vary but I have very much enjoyed the crafting aspect of the game and spent some time with it and came out with positive results. At the end of the day it's not a specific thing you have to focus on but I enjoy it well enough.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
They need to acknowledge this stuff on their socials... it's a bit annoying as their latest IG post was an ad for for their collaboration with a clothing line... ummm guys hello your game is on fire now. Put it out.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
This is early but it's the Maelstrom quest and I want to talk about it. So spoilers I guess but odds are you are past this:

- You get the quest from Dex. He gives you a couple leads to pursue. One is optional.
- You call the Militech lady because why not. Optional never really means that.
- You have the encounter with her and she gives you a quest item to use on the quest. It is clear she also wants thing you are supposed to recover for Dex.
- You get the item in one fashion or another.
- Militech lady shows up at the end of the quest.
- She doesn't say or do anything.

That's it. Why doesn't she want the thing you were supposed to recover? And it's because you need it later for another quest. Why isn't it the case that that SECOND quest is dramatically modified by your involvement of Militech lady in the first quest? What is she getting out of this arrangement at all? I've been thinking about this all day. I must have missed something.

Olrac

Oct 26, 2017
California
Well, in terms of the game, my two brothers and I have been playing non-stop since release. Personally, I really like the game - I am lucky in that I built a rig specifically for this game and was able to procure a 3080. I'm averaging above 60fps in 1440p with most everything turned on (except elements I don't like - CA, Motion Blur, etc). As for the gameplay loop, I really like it. I'm doing all the side-missions (blue and yellow) and to my surprise, I am enjoying Katana wielding just as much, if not more, than my guns. I haven't had a single crash during gameplay, but every time I exit the game on Steam, it tells me that something went wrong.

This game feels unoptimized for sure looking at all the hacks/tips/mods in this thread. That being said, the game is a solid 9/10 for me with everything it has to do along with the story.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Should read the one prior where they dismiss all the criticism as outrage and get increasingly belligerent when the point isn't taken seriously. I swear the more ardent CDPR fans should have a form of the narcissists prayer.

That's not true.
If it is, it's not that bad.
If it was, it's not a big deal.
If it is, it's not CDPR's fault.
If it was, they didn't mean it.
If they did, it's your fault for expecting too much.

Love it dude! Keep it up! Really nailed this one, especially the part about dismissing all criticism as outrage! I definitely haven't accepted faults with the game multiple times in this thread. Oh hang on a second, you might not have seen those, because you haven't shown me any defendable opinions yourself. Once you get on that you might see things a bit differently. Update me when you've done that and I'll be happy to respond!

Eh, Fallout 4 does nonlinear RPG miles better than Cyberpunk, and I'm not even that fond of Fallout.

Well at this point I'm going to have to accept we just will just not agree. F4 is one of the worst WRPGs out there imo.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
1.04 definitely tightened up the visuals on the Xbox a lot as well.
Think the sweet spot for me is:
  • Quality mode
  • 1000 nits max. brightness
  • 1.10 tone mapping midpoint
  • Chromatic Aberration and Film Grain off
  • Depth of Field, Lens Flare and Motion Blur on

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
At this point I think it is safe to say that Regina Jones is the 2077 cousin Roman.

I just started act 2. It's so fucking weird how her and the other fixers in town text and call you out of the blue without you ever meeting them. Where they get my number, why the fuck are they calling and texting a dude non stop they've never met?

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
This is early but it's the Maelstrom quest and I

That's it. Why doesn't she want the thing you were supposed to recover? And it's because you need it later for another quest. Why isn't it the case that that SECOND quest is dramatically modified by your involvement of Militech lady in the first quest? What is she getting out of this arrangement at all? I've been thinking about this all day. I must have missed something.
She was killed how I played it and instead I talked to the man she'd kidnapped earlier who had recovered given she fucked up her hand.

Oct 25, 2017
This is early but it's the Maelstrom quest and I want to talk about it. So spoilers I guess but odds are you are past this:

- You get the quest from Dex. He gives you a couple leads to pursue. One is optional.
- You have the encounter with her and she gives you a quest item to use on the quest. It is clear she also wants thing you are supposed to recover for Dex.

Wait,
you got Stout? I'm pretty sure I got Gilchrist at the end of that mission, which actually confused me because I didn't even get who he is when he showed up first in the previous quest.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Ehhh I don't think far reaching consequences are always necessary for something to constitute as "role playing". The terminology and the expectations attached are supremely murky when we apply them to interactive works and invite discussion of what defines "role playing" and where good/bad role playing begins and ends.

Role playing doesn't always have to be about the end (although it should consider this), but also the journey and space filled in between. "Role playing" as your character isn't just dramatic changes, it's about finding a place within the space that is presented and having variables change based on the decisions you make. In the realm of video games the scope of divergence is inherently limited, both in what must be hand tailored by the production team and also the flexibility of the game systems. There's always walls and bottlenecks and smoke and mirrors.

CDPR's style of "role playing" dating back to the first Witcher is to construct general quest outlines that have the same major beats and moments but the means in which they play out and diverge can vary based on character choices. Who you end up fighting, or if there's a fight at all. Who sticks with you, who attacks. How dialogue exchanges play out. Character reactivity. And the end often resulting in different NPC interactions, life/death states, etc. Rather than full agency driven role playing like sandbox-like RPGs invite.

I'll use an example; the mission where you must retrieve the flathead from Maelstrom, which was a mission demoed in pre-launch footage.
In the prelaunch footage the player meets with Meredith who is paranoid about a mole and has a fellow corpo captive, obtains the infected credit chip, meets with Maelstrom, tries to use the chip, which infects Maelstrom and results in a massive firefight culminating in a battle against Royce in an armoured exoskeleton.
In my playthrough I negotiated with Meredith for a less aggressive conversation, took the credit chip, decrypted and scrubbed it of the virus, met with Maelstrom, told them everything included the virus on the chip, they took the chip and it was all fine, then Militech attacked under Meredith's orders and I fought my way out alongside Maelstrom, culminating in a battle against two Militech mechs.

In the original CDPR playthrough players exit the base to meet with Meredith, and have a conversation about her fucking them over.
In my playthrough I still met with a Militech corpo when I exited it, but it was the guy who Meredith had captured, who explains Meredith got twitchy and implies she's been killed.

There is a general outline to that mission arc. You'll meet the same group of people. You'll get in some sort of fight, most likely. And you'll have exit dialogue. But how these events play out exactly, your relationship to the parties involved, how you engage with them yourself, and who exactly wraps it up for you are different. It's not vastly different arcs based on emergent player interaction with the game world. It's still all very scripted and cinematic. But the wiggle room is there to "role play" within the scope that CDPR provide. Which, in my opinion, isn't vastly different from how they've made any of their games.

I understand the expectation for something a bit more agency driven though, given the source material.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Performing well for me now, a few bugs but mostly things like characters arms pointing funky, and one T pose. Nothing game breaking or anything like that.

Really liking the city. It has a certain verticality to it and it's actually pretty easy to parkour your way up and down. Quests and writing are okay. Nothing particularly ground breaking. I wish there were more voice options but that would be a ton more dialogue to record. Atleast some way to notify your voice like altering the pitch or making it less gruff or more roboting sounding (since you can have implants) would be nice. The default voice doesn't really fit the way my character looks IMO.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I just hit a moment in the story that was meant to be an emotional, gut punching cutscene that was absolutely ruined by bugs.

Act 1 spoilers:

The sequence where Jackie dies in the car after the penthouse heist. While he was saying his last words, his gun flew out of his hand and started floating around the screen and clipped through his head. Then it flew over and went into my head blocking my view. After he died it just stayed in the back of the car floating around.

Sheesh what a mess.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

My quest went a bit differently
At the end of the quest she didn't show up but the dude she held hostage at our meetup. Gilchrist was his name I guess. And he implied that the Militech Lady got dealt with and got what she deserved.
Also I received the money from the Militech Lady and wanted to buy the bot but I had to kill the Maelstrom dude and shoot my way out of the warehouse. Is it even possible to just buy the bot with the militech chip and get out there peacefully?