• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a known bug with receiving the free upgrade from the
Ripperdoc, Casius?

I click on him and there is no convo option to receive anything and everything in his inventory has a price?

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
I think I am goint to enjoy the game for a looong time. This is maybe the first open world game where besides going from A to B on car/horse, I also want to just... walk.

These "hubs" of life around the neighborhoods are so full of detail, First person view was definitely the way to go, that and the lighting makes the experience atmospheric as fuck.

Quests are ok, Rockstar level on my opinon, better than Ubisoft open worlds.

Shooting feels good, the Katana is not great, and driving is also not amazing.

I am playing this at 60 fps on PC, I have tried 30 FPS with RT ON but it's just not worth it, playing on consoles before the current gen patch is also a diservices to the world they have created, but blame on them for launch on PC+Old gen.

Oct 28, 2019
Delamain quest ending spoilers (when he calls you back later after doing the initial hunts):

I had to put him down because I didn't have the hacking skills to merge them and I couldn't justify wiping out seven unique personalities. I am a monster. On the plus side one of the cabs sent me a picture from Mexico, so at least they're getting to see the world.

Lmao. This quest is fantastic.

ravn0s

Oct 29, 2017
It's a RPG in the sense that you can spec your character differently and approach combat encounters in various ways.

But in regards to your narrative choices and their impacts, nothing really matters, so it's more like a linear action adventure game.

Not sure about the main story but I failed a side job because I lied. I felt bad about what happened.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Nah, you are correct. This is very much like TW3, just that the world in TW3 worked better with this kind of design. W3's open world content (and AI) was just as barren as it is on CP, but it was not as noticeable due to the world being mostly open land with a few cities sprinkled throughout. CP2077 "feels" like it should be more of a very reactive/immersive sim style of open world but it isn't.
I agree. The game is designed exactly like TW3 in many ways, but that kind of world design is very flawed when applied to a huge city: it reveals its weaknesses and lack of interactivity. A game like this should have been a sandbox with at least a competent AI to feel immersive, but CDPR has never been good at creating those, so this game has just revealed their weaknesses as a developer.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Refunded. Felt somewhat misled after the really thin Nomad start and then after few hours exploring the city concluded it's just a really shallow open world game that isn't doing anything new - and actually a step back in some respects.

I'll play through the story at a later (and cheaper) date. Female V has a great voice and the cutscenes / quest line animation work all seems solid so I'm sure that stuff is fine.

Just not what I was expecting and didn't click for me after the intro / time jump threw me right out of it... and that's discounting technical issues / peformance.

Coming: When Shareholders Are Ready.

Deleted member 34169

User requested account closure
Nov 23, 2017
Ripperdoc, Casius?

I click on him and there is no convo option to receive anything and everything in his inventory has a price?
I've seen that there is a bug with that quest but not sure what the big is. I can tell you from my playthrough that it was hard for me to figure out what the upgrades were and I finally realized that the hand and eye slots were highlighted. That's where they were.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Refunded. Felt somewhat misled after the really thin Nomad start and then after few hours exploring the city concluded it's just a really shallow open world game that isn't doing anything new - and actually a step back in some respects.

I'll play through the story at a later (and cheaper) date. Female V has a great voice and the cutscenes / quest line animation work all seems solid so I'm sure that stuff is fine.

Just not what I was expecting and didn't click for me after the intro / time jump threw me right out of it... and that's discounting technical issues / peformance.

Sounds like a game which might only be worth playing a full year after release, when CDPR iron out all the bugs.

Designer_Fake

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Germany banned pretty much everything that had a lot of violence in it - games were censored all the time ~15 years ago. Nowadays there isn't even an issue with stuff like The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinner where you literally chop people in VR with rusty cleavers ...The UK had a strange problem with "Ninja"-weapons and banned a lot of that stuff. I think even the Turtles were censored at one point, lol.

I think overall the situation has much improved. I obviously can't speak for every country in the world, but at least around here, we don't have a problem with most violent videogames anymore. Something like The Last of Us 2 would have never released in Germany 15 years ago.

I've recently started a little 360/PS3 collection, and the sheer number of games that were censored back then is staggering. Like, I was definitely aware of it, but I guess I never really understood the scope of it until I started buying a lot of games at once. Kind of makes collecting them a bit of a hassle, because a lot of what people sell on German eBay is pretty much useless if you care about owning the unaltered version. Good thing times have changed.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017

I have a question, what are non shallow open world games?

Honest question, I have st least tried probably 90% of AAA open world games, I am not sure which one would put as an example of a depth open world experience.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

Not really a "big yikes". LOD optimisation in open world games often results in assets transitioning to either supremely crude 3D models or 2D billboards. Every single tree and bush in The Witcher 3 (and every open world game for that matter) becomes a cardboard cut out at a distance. Red Dead Redemption 2 and GTA5 use similar LOD scaling to optimise asset rendering over distance.

The trick is in hiding the LOD scaling and switching to billboards in such a way that the illusion remains convincing. It's not great here but also not a problem.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
What do ya all think it will look like on Xmas day with regards to bugs glitches etc
Xmas day is always boring and I'm gonna need something to play Ihaha I think I may just bite the bullet would be playing ps5 version

Oct 25, 2017
pm7d6224eu461.jpg

YSL

Sep 11, 2020
I have zoom in/out button prompts stuck on the right corner of the screen on ps5 now reloading/restarting game doesn't work

Deleted member 34169

User requested account closure
Nov 23, 2017
I hope they patch the loot and inventory system in the future. It feels like every enemy is a pinata. The stat upgrades are some minimal and often not worth it. I feel that switching guns so often kills the immersion. The game can benefit from less loot and more rare drops. The loot system needs a Breakpoint level immersion mode to fix the loot system. The inventory is godawful, not sure which is worse Nioh or CP.
Yea the loot system is annoying. I know that items are marked with icons but sometimes it's too hard to distinguish them from other things. Is there a witcher sense like upgrade or does V already have it and I missed it?

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
When it works, it's fucking great!
Got a sick tech sniper rifle, one shot headshot and looks great. First police assistance location I tested it I found an even more amazing legendary revolver, even with a silencer it 1 taps with great stats to boot.
Decided to play sniper with silenced revolver now/ hacker, less frame drops in battle and feels epic to pull off haha.

Driving around in my van just taking care of enemies. Even had an NPC civilian say thank you after I saved them!

On base ps4 but playing in the industrial area is pretty great, looks stunning but a lot less frame drops and bugs.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York

Honest question, I have st least tried probably 90% of AAA open world games, I am not sure which one would put as an example of a depth open world experience.
Honestly the last open world game that wowed me as far as having a lot to do and interacting with the world in ways that altered your character was San Andreas. You can get fat from eating too much, skinny from running around, strong, play mini games, own numerous properties etc. For some reason I had the impression this game would have a lot of that sort of stuff, since they built up the open world role playing aspect. Menanwhile you can't even change your hair or anything else aside from clothes. Really the game is closer to Mafia, the open world is the backdrop for just seeing through the main and some side stories. I enjoy the game enough, and there's some stuff especially the visuals at the right moments I love. But it falls short of a lot of games in its class, from a rpg and open world perspective, aside from visuals at times the game looks amazing.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I've recently started a little 360/PS3 collection, and the sheer number of games that were censored back then is staggering. Like, I was definitely aware of it, but I guess I never really understood the scope of it until I started buying a lot of games at once. Kind of makes collecting them a bit of a hassle, because a lot of what people sell on German eBay is pretty much useless if you care about owning the unaltered version. Good thing times have changed.
Yeah, it changed mid-PS3-gen. I think God of War 3 was the first big ultra-violent game that wasn't censored. The first Gears of War didn't even release in Germany. But I guess they just accepted that censoring games accomplish nothing in times where you can just buy digitally and physically from international stores.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Struggling a bit to get a sense of how questing is supposed to work here. Am I correct in thinking that Gigs are meant to be small, copypasta busywork, and the Side Jobs are meant to be the more meaty, substantial quests in the same vein as the side quests in Witcher 3? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for good ones that they have encountered so far? I've done a few and while some have been fun (the Delamain one) some have been quite short / uninteresting.

Also, in terms of the Act 2 structure - and I am going to spoiler this just in case people don't want to see how the main quest is structured, although no specifics here at all:

Is it the case that I will have to chase down all three "leads" in order to progress the main story? All three Main Job quests feel like large, substantial side quests and I am presuming that this is similar to how in Witcher 3 you were asked to go and look for Ciri in three locations, and then doing some large quests in that general area to progress the story. These have all been fantastic so far imo and definitely the best part of the game so far.

The last thing I just wanted to check is, does anyone know what triggers mini map icons popping up with side quests etc.? I have certain portions of the city that are brimming with icons of stuff but then I have sectors which are completely barren, even though looking at other people's maps online they are supposed to have stuff there. I've driven through those areas and the icons didn't pop up - is this a bug maybe or do I just have to progress the story?

Oct 27, 2017
On PS5 this looks like playing Ps3/x360 game with backwards compatibility only with added blur and low resolution textures. I'm done. Fix your shit CDPR.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Not really a "big yikes". LOD optimisation in open world games often results in assets transitioning to either supremely crude 3D models or 2D billboards. Every single tree and bush in The Witcher 3 (and every open world game for that matter) becomes a cardboard cut out at a distance. Red Dead Redemption 2 and GTA5 use similar LOD scaling to optimise asset rendering over distance.

The trick is in hiding the LOD scaling and switching to billboards in such a way that the illusion remains convincing. It's not great here but also not a problem.
It's the first time I've noticed this in a videogame

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018

Depends on what you mean by "not shallow."

Rockstar and Bethesda are usually good at creating immersive sandboxes with pretty deep level of interactivity (though they both have different strengths).

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
So after downloading all day yesterday and overnight, I got a nasty surprise when I finally put the disc in after the 43GB, download another download this time 15GB!
This is why I stopped buying physical games, I see no point in them anymore.
(Don't like reselling anyway)

The quest design in this game is God tier by the way the best I ever seen in a game.. CDPR & Rockstar developers need to have a baby!!
Very exciting to hear. Waiting for the PS5 version next year, but also love The Witcher 3, and the quests definitely play a big part here.

It always feels like the developers went the extra mile for so many things in general, characters, cinematography, sound design, the attention to detail is often staggering. You don't see many developers doing it in such a masterful way.
Really excited for Cyberpunk, the game looks fantastic from what I have seen.

Last edited:

Disker

Sep 17, 2020
PS5 problem here. Does anyone else have this?

Every time I load up the game all my settings have been set to default, like sound, gfx, controls etc.

It is really frustrating, another one to add to the list of bugs...

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Struggling a bit to get a sense of how questing is supposed to work here. Am I correct in thinking that Gigs are meant to be small, copypasta busywork, and the Side Jobs are meant to be the more meaty, substantial quests in the same vein as the side quests in Witcher 3? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for good ones that they have encountered so far? I've done a few and while some have been fun (the Delamain one) some have been quite short / uninteresting.

I've done a few of what I thought were gigs and they were pretty cool and interesting quests. There was one where you had to infiltrate a news station and talk a guy down from shooting himself. There were about 3 different endings to that one that I found. I don't think gigs are copypaste shit. Unless I haven't done enough of them.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
So 14 hrs in and I just found out you can parkour and you actually find stuff around. I am now one of the odd ones, find myself having a really good time with the game.

Bad side is that this game broke my pro, have to use headphones cos the fan noise is unbearable.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
I hope they patch the loot and inventory system in the future. It feels like every enemy is a pinata. The stat upgrades are some minimal and often not worth it. I feel that switching guns so often kills the immersion. The game can benefit from less loot and more rare drops. The loot system needs a Breakpoint level immersion mode to fix the loot system. The inventory is godawful, not sure which is worse Nioh or CP.

Yeah, its kinda pointles to put any mods on armor or guns since you get a better one from almost every encounter, although ive been using a orange revolver i got for the past 5hrs since there hasnt been a better one on offer, so it seems the more rare items are atleast good to use for awhile

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
Haven't enjoyed a game so much for a while. Really enjoying the main story but also compelled to play through the great side missions.

I understand the criticism regarding the open world but I think some people were expecting something it isn't. The world isn't super interactive and not very interesting to explore but that's fine to me. The world is there as the foundation of excellent quests. And it's very good at it. At no point have I felt I did quests out of line like I do with some open world games. Characters seem aware of what's going on in the world and when we last met. It just feels right.

I'm also very lucky to have experienced minimal bugs.

Olrac

Oct 26, 2017
California
There's a ridiculous bug for all AMD CPUs where it only uses half of the available cores, hence extreme FPS variance on AMD systems (some areas will tank you to half your usual framerate). There's a fix for this available on the Nexus, which will finally allow your CPU utilization to rise above the 40-50% cap you usually see in this game.

It's like CDPR are trying to make Bethesda look better, with all the "let the modders fix the game" memes. They're taking that to some extreme measures with Cyberpunk =P

107-1607849951-175543836.jpeg
What are you using to display your cpu usage like that?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
It's the first time I've noticed this in a videogame

It happens a lot. Basically the way most assets are coded is that they'll have rendering distance parameters (how far they'll be rendered until they're culled entirely from existence), in addition to LOD (level of detail) parameters, that reduce the asset complexity in texture and geometric detail based on distance steps. Ergo why we get pop-in for some games, and why details on characters, objects, textures, etc reduce the further we are away.

Games with extremely long draw distances, like open world games, will usually reserve the lowest step of the LOD transitions for a 2D billboard. And it's literally just a 2D cut out of an asset (hence the name; billboard). Sometimes it's used for static assets like buildings or trees, sometimes it's used for moving assets like vehicles.

The objective with most game presentation in open world games is to do the best the art and programming team can to reduce pop in, hide the LOD transitions, and reduce the obviousness on billboards. Sometimes they pull it off, sometimes they dont. But yeah. If you're ever playing an open world games trees are probably the biggest giveaway. The further away you get in 99% of cases there will be a trigger point where the tree shifts into a 2D billboard. The most hand crafted games will often apply shaders and other tricks to the billboard to maintain the illusion (eg: The Witcher 3's tree billboards still animate with the wind).

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
PS5 problem here. Does anyone else have this?

Every time I load up the game all my settings have been set to default, like sound, gfx, controls etc.

It is really frustrating, another one to add to the list of bugs...
Yup, every time it crashes. Luckily I only turn auto aim and chromatic aberration/film grain off so doesn't take long to fix but given I've had 10 plus crashes pretty annoying. Keeps the difficulty setting at least.

And yeah I thought gigs were generic but then I had 3 or 4 that were as meaty as side jobs and had multiple endings 🤷‍♂️ Game needs more subclasses for side quests because there's tons of really great ones in the game.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This is straight up just not true at all. There have been multiple quests with multiple outcomes and differences that I have discussed with my friends. Why are you lying?

You're very defensive of the game in your posts. It doesn't have to be everything to be enjoyable, you know that, right?

The differences are miniscule. There are multiple endings, that's true, but the overall narrative is pretty much the same, whether you sweet talk, bribe or beat a character to make them help you, for example.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
The game tried its damndest to glitch out on me during the heist. The final enemy with the keycard kept teleporting and glitching between the spawn 800M below and the floor I was on. I was able to kill him finally, and that anchored him to my floor, but it was tough going. This thing is held together with spit and a prayer.

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
Ripperdoc, Casius?

Go in his inventory, there is some tiger claws in hands I think that are for free. That is what you are meant to get