• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Keanu shows up in quite a few side quests even if for a bit which is nice, was worried he'd be relegated to the main plot.

Way shotguns send people flying still hasn't gotten old. Ability that makes dismemberment way more likely being so high level is very odd tho

Mar 3, 2019
Just hit the title card at around 7 hours in, I'm really enjoying this. I've only hit 3 crashes in my first hour, after that it's been pretty stable. Game is gorgeous and I'm really digging the story/writing. There are moments that are as good as a tv show in terms of quality, much better than most games that try this sort of thing. The combat also feels really nice, I'm a hacker/pistol guy and it's fun tackling a level by puzzling it out

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this has been touched on, but I feel like there's a big disconnect between what CDPR intended Night City to be, and what it actually is.

In the pre-release marketing material, Night City was billed as this crime infested metropolis, where danger looms around every corner, yet, even when traversing during the night, I have never felt like I was in danger. The only threat I've experienced were from gang members which can be seen a mile away and can usually just be ignored.

There's also some issues with how law enforcement works in this game. As soon as you commit a crime (murdering a civilian for example) cops suddenly pop up around you. And I don't mean arriving in cars or vans, they literally spawn behind you even when you're in an empty room, and there are a lot of them. For a city overflowing with crime, they sure have a lot of cops that are quick to get to the crime scene.

Just felt like it all leads to poor world building from CDPR.

imapioneer

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to start a new game and I've noticed since the latest patch they must've tweaked some parameters. The chromatic aberration radius is reduced and the game just seems cleaner now on series x quality mode. Maybe they adjusted their taa or the game got a res boost?

c5bb28cb-277a-47af-bd1ej75.png

8a32cec3-4af3-4b05-9793k69.png

f65f204c-e7ee-4bfe-899sk8r.png

987c61ca-aef1-44d8-b89lji3.png

I can't believe a game of this scale can look this good.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Great detail I noticed from the first Brain Dance:

If you find the shop that was robbed and speak to the owner, you can ask why the place smells of chlorine, he states he had to "clean up" recently.

Errr... spoilers broken or what?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Is Athletics simply broken in terms of leveling it up? I have been running, jumping and sliding everywhere in the game, and I'm still stuck at 12% progression towards level two. Googled how to raise this shit and it said all you need to do is expend stamina by running, jumping, punching air and even climbing ladders. And yet...

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
Is Athletics simply broken in terms of leveling it up? I have been running, jumping and sliding everywhere in the game, and I'm still stuck at 12% progression towards level two. Googled how to raise this shit and it said all you need to do is expend stamina by running, jumping, punching air and even climbing ladders. And yet...

I think I got a big boost to athletics just from that fist fighting match with the twins up on the roof. Maybe that's the one that gets the most XP progression. I wonder if you only get XP progression when you do all the things you said in a combat situation...

Oct 25, 2017
I just feel like everything about this game except for the visuals is super dated. I'm trying to find some sort of spark and it's just not there.

I don't know. I'll keep playing for now.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I have been running into some pretty annoying glitches on PC. Seems like some weird collision stuff. Being damage by objects for no reason, being randomly teleported around.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that this isn't an RPG at all, so comparisons to RDR and GTA are absolutely valid. It's an action adventure game with a slightly branching narrative. The story is pretty linear and you're strong-armed into making choices that might completely contradict what you want V to be. None of your choices really matter. Your V isn't your character. Unlike RPGs, you don't learn and build your character--the game decides it for you.

This Steam review pretty much expresses my thoughts on this:

"My biggest issue is that there's no sense of natural progression. Think of how any great RPG starts: you begin as a prisoner in a jail cell; you take your first blind steps out of the vault; your crew abandons you and you're forced to strike out on your own. In other words, you start with nothing and you're forced to (re)build your life. You build connections with people and places slowly. You begin to understand the world and you put the pieces together.

Cyberpunk couldn't be more disappointing in this regard. I chose the Nomad start because I wanted to approach the city from the outside. I hope this isn't a spoiler -- it's something I would want to know before buying this game -- but there's a montage about 25 minutes into the game that just flat-out shows V developing a relationship with another key character. This montage transports you from the desert to the heart of the city. It sets you up with a place to live and a core group of people to interact with. It establishes you. Why? That's why I'm playing the game -- I want to do all that stuff myself!

Also, after you finish Act 1 and the Interlude, side quests just fly at you from out of nowhere. I couldn't understand why all these random cops, corpos, and gang leaders trust me and are trying to give me jobs when my Streetcred is so low. You are constantly bombarded with text messages and phone calls from people who should want nothing to do with you. Again, there's no sense of progression. The game fast-forwards you through the most meaningful part of an RPG and then makes SO MUCH available to you without having to earn it through gameplay and character development.

On top of all of this the main quest is SO URGENT. If I'm actually trying to roleplay as V then the only quests I would complete are the main quests. This is an issue that plagues many RPGs, but Cyberpunk might be the worst case of it.

I'm not one of the ultra-hyped and ultra-disappointed people who are devastated by the state of this game. I'm certainly dissappointed, but mostly I just want RPG lovers to know that this game is so far off the mark. Play it as a scripted Action/Adventure game and you might enjoy it."

Except when you try to play it like Action/Adventure game, the game falls flat because of the terribly shallow world and AI compared to games like GTA and RDR2. Honestly, this game should have much better if it were a linear, non-open world game. CDPR has no clue how to create a believable sandbox a setting like this needed.

Yeah its probably my biggest disappointment of the game, it's pretty clear it's not really an RPG and I won't have any control over the story or quest outcomes. Very disappointing although I find the rest of the game fun enough for now.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to start a new game and I've noticed since the latest patch they must've tweaked some parameters. The chromatic aberration radius is reduced and the game just seems cleaner now on series x quality mode. Maybe they adjusted their taa or the game got a res boost?

c5bb28cb-277a-47af-bd1ej75.png

8a32cec3-4af3-4b05-9793k69.png

f65f204c-e7ee-4bfe-899sk8r.png

987c61ca-aef1-44d8-b89lji3.png

I can't believe a game of this scale can look this good.
Your character reminds me of new Jill from re3remake.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
So, inside of a story mission the game feels pretty great. I did just now have about it fun escaping a situation, and dealing with the dialogue and the heavy moment.

Outside of those beats is where the shine fade away.

And reloading is such a gamble. Something happened and I reloaded about 5+ times and every time a different "glitch" would present.

Oh, dialogue and trying to crouch out dodge is a fail. You start skipping narrative. That was frustrating.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that this isn't an RPG at all, so comparisons to RDR and GTA are absolutely valid. It's an action adventure game with a slightly branching narrative. The story is pretty linear and you're strong-armed into making choices that might completely contradict what you want V to be. None of your choices really matter. Your V isn't your character. Unlike RPGs, you don't learn and build your character--the game decides it for you.

This Steam review pretty much expresses my thoughts on this:

"My biggest issue is that there's no sense of natural progression. Think of how any great RPG starts: you begin as a prisoner in a jail cell; you take your first blind steps out of the vault; your crew abandons you and you're forced to strike out on your own. In other words, you start with nothing and you're forced to (re)build your life. You build connections with people and places slowly. You begin to understand the world and you put the pieces together.

Cyberpunk couldn't be more disappointing in this regard. I chose the Nomad start because I wanted to approach the city from the outside. I hope this isn't a spoiler -- it's something I would want to know before buying this game -- but there's a montage about 25 minutes into the game that just flat-out shows V developing a relationship with another key character. This montage transports you from the desert to the heart of the city. It sets you up with a place to live and a core group of people to interact with. It establishes you. Why? That's why I'm playing the game -- I want to do all that stuff myself!

Also, after you finish Act 1 and the Interlude, side quests just fly at you from out of nowhere. I couldn't understand why all these random cops, corpos, and gang leaders trust me and are trying to give me jobs when my Streetcred is so low. You are constantly bombarded with text messages and phone calls from people who should want nothing to do with you. Again, there's no sense of progression. The game fast-forwards you through the most meaningful part of an RPG and then makes SO MUCH available to you without having to earn it through gameplay and character development.

On top of all of this the main quest is SO URGENT. If I'm actually trying to roleplay as V then the only quests I would complete are the main quests. This is an issue that plagues many RPGs, but Cyberpunk might be the worst case of it.

I'm not one of the ultra-hyped and ultra-disappointed people who are devastated by the state of this game. I'm certainly dissappointed, but mostly I just want RPG lovers to know that this game is so far off the mark. Play it as a scripted Action/Adventure game and you might enjoy it."

Except when you try to play it like Action/Adventure game, the game falls flat because of the terribly shallow world and AI compared to games like GTA and RDR2. Honestly, this game should have much better if it were a linear, non-open world game. CDPR has no clue how to create a believable sandbox a setting like this needed.
That's actually one of the most accurate and well put reviews I've seen. Better than what these so-called "journalists" put out.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Side missions remain the highlight. Cab AI is mah boi. Viktor is my favorite still. Paid in full with hot new cyber arms and legs. The cover/aiming when you're aggressive and sticking to walls looking for heads hots actually feels good. Upgrades feel good. Looks fucking cherry on my ps5 and runs like buttah...

It also crashes at least once a play session for me. Nightcity feels apt cause this place is fucking ASLEEP at the wheel if you stray from the mission paths. Why can't I grab people by the throat like crisis did... 10 fuckin years ago. Why can't we throw shit? Why didn't I get appreciably stronger when- at body 13 or 14 - I purchased gorilla arms and noticed only the uptick in dps. Didn't even change the attack animation.
Why is the ai such shit?
Wtf is the entire deal with cops? Crowds? Why can't I take my gun out anywhere?
Lots of little steps are skipped in mission explanations and the like. Also why didn't Viktor even blink when I bought robot arms? I didn't sit down or anything... that could be some gory check your humanity at the door shit butbits just like click boom your done boyo enjoy!

I'm havin fun and its got a very specific
....ldiocracy judge dread kinda vibe but like damn. This game is weird and half baked as fuck.
Its kind of weird playing this and realizing just how fucking class Rockstar and ND and SP are. Cyberpunk seems to really highlight some of the weaknesses from the Witcher I could never look past. Primarily the combat/gameplay beyond the systems and the world.

At least its qe know they will be dropping free fixes and dlc on this for a hot minute. The world deserves it.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if this has been touched on, but I feel like there's a big disconnect between what CDPR intended Night City to be, and what it actually is.

In the pre-release marketing material, Night City was billed as this crime infested metropolis, where danger looms around every corner, yet, even when traversing during the night, I have never felt like I was in danger. The only threat I've experienced were from gang members which can be seen a mile away and can usually just be ignored.

There's also some issues with how law enforcement works in this game. As soon as you commit a crime (murdering a civilian for example) cops suddenly pop up around you. And I don't mean arriving in cars or vans, they literally spawn behind you even when you're in an empty room, and there are a lot of them. For a city overflowing with crime, they sure have a lot of cops that are quick to get to the crime scene.

Just felt like it all leads to poor world building from CDPR.

The vibe from the city is a bit off tbh.

This is definitely not the dark and gritty future I was expecting.

Some neighborhood look like Tourist traps to be honest 😅 Everything is so beautiful and colorful.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Alright, gotta get something out there that really grinded my gears earlier:

So it's entirely okay that
LITERALLY FUCKING GLaDOS
is in the game, but
including either a short side mission or even a quick hidden event involving Ciri
would simply be going too far?..

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
This is so fucking spot on omg.

You mind telling me (in spoiler tags, ofc) what the main premise of the main quest is?
I keep reading it carries a huge amount of urgency, and such, doing side quests would feel super out of character for V.

I'm immediately thinking of some Johnny Mnemonic situation.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
You mind telling me (in spoiler tags, ofc) what the main premise of the main quest is?
I keep reading it carries a huge amount of urgency, and such, doing side quests would feel super out of character for V.

I'm immediately thinking of some Johnny Mnemonic situation.

You perform a heist for some relic that needs to be kept in cold storage. You end up putting it into your brain to preserve it, but it turns out that it contains the downloaded personality of Keanu, a dead guerilla fighter. It begins overwriting your character's neurons with his personality and you get access to his memories and thoughts. The two of you work together to avenge his death as you work to get the ticking time bomb of his code removed from your head.

That said, the cyberdoc tells you you have weeks, not hours, before this process is completed, so it's not really ridiculous that you might do side stuff.

Also, anyone else notice that there's a character called Lenny Nero (I think you see the name only if you scan him), who has a similar job as his namesake from Strange Days.

Hope Mace makes an appearance!

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I must smile a bit over "your V is not your character" or "this is no RPG, this is an action adventure"

this also applies to Witcher 3 :-)

This is a useless comparison and not a defense at all. For one thing, the Witcher games offer far more meaningful choices and story consequences than anything seen in Cyberpunk, even with a predetermined and fully-voiced character.

but more importantly, who cares? this game was pitched and marketed as a game where you got to create and define your character. The Witcher was not. Everyone going into the Witcher knows they're getting Geralt.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Damn this is Series X? This looks so much cleaner than my PS5, especially the mirror shot.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
So, inside of a story mission the game feels pretty great. I did just now have about it fun escaping a situation, and dealing with the dialogue and the heavy moment.

Outside of those beats is where the shine fade away.

And reloading is such a gamble. Something happened and I reloaded about 5+ times and every time a different "glitch" would present.

Oh, dialogue and trying to crouch out dodge is a fail. You start skipping narrative. That was frustrating.
There is an option to change dialogue skip from press to hold, life saver. Skip to hold or something in the options.

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
BTW, I have updated Special K with HDR overrides for this game, as well as in-game configuration for number of render threads.

Since it's unlikely that CDPR is going to patch their engine's render thread logic, it'd be better to use SK's plug-in to do it and not have to worry about repeatedly editing the game executable every time there is a patch.

discourse.differentk.fyi

Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

Since you guys were driving me absolutely insane with complaints that you can’t turn HDR off in Cyberpunk 2077 and turn SK’s HDR on… I went and fixed the Cyberpunk engine to allow changing the backbuffer format without crashing 😉 UPDATE: Made a Plug-In to control AMD CPU thread count...

Framerate limiter's also been tuned for this game.

a6e47b3e5660bd23ec7d9385f0868ab282da7ab0.jpeg

Oct 28, 2017
Anybody have a possible fix for the ghosting on PS5? I disable motion blur but then I see bad TAA ghosting with any motion in the game, like a poorer quality motion blur, like this example taken from the PC version:
EU7IjGOUUAcJTJJ

So no matter what option I choose, I always have some sort of motion blur, the smeary type or the ghosting type and it's giving me headaches to play, black frame insertion on my TV doesn't help either as the game renders it that way.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
HDR settings I think I finally love:

Max brightness: 900
Tone mapping: 0.8
Paperwhite: 170

This is on an LG B8. HDR is not perfect but I swear the game still looks better with it on than without. I think people saying turn it off are ignoring the bigger picture.

Anyway, since the 1.04 patch on PS5, and simply more time with the game, I've gone from being very underwhelmed to kinda loving this game.
I've got a £400 standard 4klg ( still HDR 10 I think ) and it does look much better with HDR on after playing around compared with off. World looks much more vibrant and just less grey/faded, but in a good way.
On is still best, even if not as good as other games.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Welp smart weapons are pretty damn amazing. Can't believe I am almost level 20 and had never used one before lol

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing for a few hours and man, Jackie is by far my favorite person in this game. Everyone else feels like they're trying so, soooo hard to be edgy. It's so off-putting. Thank God for Jackie. Dude is a breath of fresh air.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Out of all of the stuff that folks dont like about the game, my biggest annoyance is the lack of an "End conversation" option! Fuck, that annoys the shit out of me.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Is there a real list of all the possible Quickhacks anywhere? I'm really torn on this "Datamine Virtuoso" perk (Intel 12) where you can double your chance of pulling Quickhacks from Access Points...

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Just did an extended side job where I couldn't choose the 3rd, neat option because my stats weren't high enough. Side quests can definitely be more involved and I think cdpr will eventually separate them into more types on the map to make clear many aren't just base recoveries and exactly what you expect from the Witcher 3 devs.

Last edited:

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
HDR settings I think I finally love:

Max brightness: 900
Tone mapping: 0.8
Paperwhite: 170

This is on an LG B8. HDR is not perfect but I swear the game still looks better with it on than without. I think people saying turn it off are ignoring the bigger picture.

Anyway, since the 1.04 patch on PS5, and simply more time with the game, I've gone from being very underwhelmed to kinda loving this game.

Max nits on that tv is 680, so I think your max brightness setting should be that.

The issue with hdr with this is that it can't actually do black. It just all looks dark green, and the same shade of dark green.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/lg-b8-oled-oled55b8-oled65b8

Last edited:

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
Okay okay, idk if my game is super bugged, but I'm 12 hours in and I still haven't seen the title card...did my game just miss it?

I did the heist the guy killed his dad and is now the head of arasaka , Jakie is dead, dax got merked too

Cosmic

Jan 7, 2018
Try Quality mode. Seriously, it looks so much sharper/better.

The framerate drop will be a shock at first but you'll get used to it and it'll feel like every other 30fps game. Can't believe it took me so long to switch to it. Performance mode is 1080p and blurry as shit. Quality mode is above ~1500p and has added/better AO and higher pedestrian density.

NX Gamer measured performance mode at 1296p I believe.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
This game is oddly reminding me of Syndicate 2012.

I was really looking forward to that game, but it got banned here in Australia for some stupid reason. Looks like I finally got a good replacement after all these years, I mean outside of Deus Ex. Stragne thing is, this game seems more violent, more sexual, more adult than anything I saw in Syndicates previews.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay okay, idk if my game is super bugged, but I'm 12 hours in and I still haven't seen the title card...did my game just miss it?

I did the heist the guy killed his dad and is now the head of arosaka, Jakie is dead, dax got merked too
Yeah there's apparently a bug where the title card doesn't show up for some people. It's normally between
dex shooting you and Johnny's attack on arasaka