• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
They are releasing patches so fast many employees won't even have time to celebrate Christmas.

Ooh, I didn't even think about that. I hope CDPR at least gives them some time off to spend the holidays with their families. I'm not so selfish that I can't wait on patches. But with their noted history of crunch, I'm not hopeful.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Can definitely confirm NPC net runners will hack you through cameras, just shot out a camera while it was happening and it stopped the hack completely.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
I was under the impression that

The whole chase after Takemura picked you up told Takemura everything he needed to know. Takemura was originally Saburo's bodyguard, finding you somewhat conscious was too much of a risk in Yorinobu's eyes so he sent some killers to off you both, or at least off Takemura and pick you up.
I took it as Takemura called and said he found the killer and his boss flipped because if V says anything, some may believe V so they dispatched assassin's just to cover all bases.

Takemura was probably suspicious and was going to bring V in to question and/or torture them
Okay, I'll leave it at that...
Just a bit jarring for that character to mention a conversation with V that we never see...
Also, was I supposed to know these were specifically Asakura assassin's? In the cutscene, V just says he heard about these assassin group, but gets cut off before he can say from where.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm playing on Stadia. I thought there was a problem with my streaming at first, but it's the Anti-Aliasing. It's too strong and makes the world seem a bit fuzzy.

I'm using a controller on PC. What are the best settings for looking/turning?

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Fuck me, this is pretty (PC). No raytracing either, just Ultra.

dSdsyDE.png

Just a bit jarring for that character to mention a conversation with V that we never see...
Also, was I supposed to know these were specifically Asakura assassin's? In the cutscene, V just says he heard about these assassin group, but gets cut off before he can say from where.
Not gonna lie, I just went with a logic leap based on movie tropes.

EDIT:
He called his boss saying he had us then assassin's showed up? Yeah it Arasaka

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing on Stadia. I thought there was a problem with my streaming at first, but it's the Anti-Aliasing. It's too strong and makes the world seem a bit fuzzy.

I'm using a controller on PC. What are the best settings for looking/turning?

Enable the advanced options and take the turning bonuses to 0. Should feel pretty good after that.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
Think he meant the group is specifically that corps and how they have a reputation

Absinthe

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from cascade shadow distance, avoid turning ray tracing on as it has a large CPU impact. Population density is a big one. Your description of issues when turning quickly or driving might be related to asset streaming. If the game isn't on an SSD, maybe try to toggle on slow HDD mode next to the population density setting.

Thanks.. I did try the population density and am on a new SSD.. HD usage is low and CPU hovers around 80-90% so it's in use; just not very efficiently it would seem. I'm still getting 45-75 at 3440x1440 so it's not a big deal though I was hoping for a solid 60 from the 3070

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Just had two people I haven't met in the game yet call me during a story mission while I was having an emotional conversation with an important character. Literally just talked over the story conversation. A few minutes later Keanu was smoking two cigarettes at once while one was floating in front of his face.

This game has its moments but it feels about 5 years old.

This is mostly caused by leveling your street cred, unlocking new vehicle offers and fixer missions. Wish they would just text you to call them or the game being smarter about spacing out calls or dropping them during traversal. But then you also get situational calls during traversal so maybe that's not a good idea either.

I would honestly love to hear a lead designer explaining what the reasoning here was... after GTA IV was memed to death for this problem twelve years ago.

Animal

Oct 25, 2017
I can play on PS5 for at most 30 minutes approximately before it crashes. No particular pattern to report. This game almost certainly suffers from a memory leak in my opinion.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a strange black dot/wavy line effect going on with textures. Running a Ryzen 3, 2060, and I can't figure out what setting is causing it. It's making the game look very blurry. Anyone else got this issue?

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

dSdsyDE.png

Stunning.

Just goes to show how CDPR really dropped a ball with console versions, looking at some of those PC screenshots people share all over the internet, it's clear the game could've been really special if they simply took more time.

Guess getting that both-gen sales was so important they were ready to burn whatever goodwill they had left with people. I really hope they go the "No Man's Sky" way when it comes to fixing this mess.

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Are the danger levels in the journal relative to your level? I'm early on but most of the ones I have are very high danger and yeah they're pretty hard.

LeProvo

Apr 24, 2020
Turkey
I got 9 crashes so far on ps5 and this is where I will stop playing. Such a shame cause I was really starting to enjoy the game with end of prologue. Also after the 1.04 hotfix I think game looks better but still buggy. Also anyone here playing on ps5 +15 hours without crashing?

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020
It really feels like exploring the world is useless because you just know they didn't have time to add secrets anywhere. I've not once been rewarded for climbing up onto some obscure spot.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania

dSdsyDE.png

The console versions look like ass compared to the PC version sadly. I really hope that next gen upgrade patch will bring it more in line with high end PC. I wonder how realistic such expectations are. Consoles seem pretty powerful. Add in a lot of optimizing and such, could the next gen consoles pull off the visuals seen in the high end PC versions?

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The photo mode is pretty neat with the options available. Wound up using it to make a really simple banner with my V to replace the Steam library image, since the default 'white dude V' image wasn't doing much for me.

B5qdKsb.jpg

Jaime.GGG

Oct 27, 2017
What's the consensus on grain and CA? I normally don't disable stuff. Does it really make things look better, or just individual preferences.

Does the photo mode disable them automatically?
And do any settings help with perf?
Here is an article with image comparison between on and off, it looks a lot sharper on the edge of the screen with those effects off.

www.eurogamer.net/amp/2020-12-10-players-are-turning-off-cyberpunk-2077s-film-grain-to-improve-console-visuals

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't noticed issues with my performance, but would this provide a bump for those with a 5900X?

Hey some more information, there may be little to no improvement on CPUs with multiple CCXs (which the 5900X does). You can try it and simply paste a copy of the original exe back over if performance is worse. The hex editor makes a back up automatically with a .bak on the end of the file name.

cluk

May 22, 2018
Anyone else get a lot of dialogue from enemies calling them an ugly bastard? Lmao maybe it's my character model.

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020
I just started act 2 and finally left Watson. I'm getting one-shot just about everywhere...is this normal?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The console versions look like ass compared to the PC version sadly. I really hope that next gen upgrade patch will bring it more in line with high end PC. I wonder how realistic such expectations are. Consoles seem pretty powerful. Add in a lot of optimizing and such, could the next gen consoles pull off the visuals seen in the high end PC versions?

With a 30fps cap there's no reason the next gen consoles can't look look like 90% of the PC version.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Spoilery question (entering act 2):

Do you actually only have 14 in-game days or does the "countdown" progress by game logic, like it moves forward when you do main story stuff?

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Honestly, the game has many flaws and issues, but the map is crafted so beautifully, like damn it's so packed, dense ( buildings, detail, light sources and adverts) and the scale is mental when looking up, especially when in the centre. I totally can see them spending years to make it like this.

Also nice to have another game where you can control low and high beam for vehicles lol.

Like being in the small market where you get the vinyl is crazy dense and packed with detail, even if not interactive. So immersive to just walk around and take it in. FPS tanks but still so pretty haha.

Decided to play stealth and shotgun as using anything else is pointless due to the FPS drops and hiccups, as well as the weird and terrible aiming with any full auto gun, thought it was just crazy recoil but seems to be much worse than that, feel like it's my first time on a controller playing FPS with how the aiming looks and how I aim haha.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I had a gig to take someone out. Spent over 30 minutes trying to get to the target. I had to distract some guards to get into the back part of a club, then sneak around to the upstairs where he was located. After I finished, I realized that there was a balcony that I could have climbed up on and basically skipped the entire infiltration. It led right to the room he was in lol

Doodlebug

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this has been answered before, but is it worth doing all the map marker side stuff before leveing up further in the main quest? Because it seems like even rare drops are scaled closely to player level.

I've been just randomly selecting places to go on the map for fun.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The game definitely looks stunning on PC with RT, that's for sure. Wish the bugs and AI weren't in the way of the enjoyment of the game...

Just a couple of screenshots with photomode, #nofilter

y8QBL5s.png

H0fXhrN.png

PS: Ingame ads are terrible, the same ones over and over again and not very tasteful, but hey.

Dec 2, 2020

The PS5 version looks far from "ass" especially considering they're targeting 60fps. For a city based open World game going for 60 it's very visually impressive. The sheer object density and amount of lights is insane. No surprises it runs the way it does on last gen Jaguars.

I also have it on PC and I can't get a locked 60 at 1440p/high toggle using a 3700x/2070. I have to go to medium toggle and at that point it doesn't look much different to the PS5 version.

The fact digital foundry had to lock the framerate to 30fps using a state of the art $3000 PC says it all about how demanding the game can be when settings are pushed!