• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Nov 2, 2017
it seems more cinematic and less adventurous if that makes sense. Im not playing it though. My impressions are from watching pc playthroughs on youtube. Has there been any discussions on added content coming down the line? I feel this game will be in constant update status.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Without spoilers, could someone please let me know if I can complete side quests after finishing the main story? Or is it kinda like The Witcher 3 where certain side quests must be done at a certain time?

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
This cyberpsycho sidejob was pretty fun I would say. This was like my 8th try? The dude can straight up one or two shot you so you have to dodge a lot..
However dodging in this game is so jank because you end up crouching a lot it should be a seperate button.

I decided to give your boss fight the Dark Souls touch, I hope you don't mind

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Got the patch downloading on Xbox. Hope this fixes the crashing at least. I actually just went to look at my map before checking for the update and it crashed lol.

RalliArtEvo

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Got my copy yesterday that I forgot I ordered back when Amazon still had the preorder discounts. Hadn't planned on picking it up until the PS5 patch, so it'll sit on my shelf until then. Not terribly impressed with what i've seen so far, but eager to eventually give it a go.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
City centre performance is just so bad.
I know that deep down the combat is very well made with so many options but it's just sick a clusterfuck of FPS drops, bugs and constant hiccups that ruin the flow.
The rare time it works, it's fantastic.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
The game looks much better with the new patch on PS5. It still crashes though, less often than it used to but still.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I hope (but know otherwise) that one of the things that comes out of this is people rallying around Kallie Plagge and her review. Twitch has probably ruined that kind of criticism though and most would probably attribute their knowledge of the bugs and the games overall poor performance to their favorite influencer

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk feels like the next Bioshock Infinite or Skyward Sword where people will look at the reviews in a few years and wonder what the critics were thinking.

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
It's definitely the convoluted settings. It can look fantastic once you actually nail it down. As a general tip, look up your TVs peak brightness in HDR and select that as the first level. For tone mapping, basically think of it as balancing your blacks and whites. I found 1.0 to be the correct mapping on my TV. The UI peak is personal preference, I left it at 100.

There are a lot of peak values? Which one should I use?

Here is the linkhttps://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/5-series-s535-2020-qled

I would appreciate your help

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I wonder if the next gen Patch will only be graphical updates for next gen consoles or if they will "expand" the game by adding some stuff to the open world or even improve AI.
I mean the game is their baby I guess and I dont think they let it be as it is.
You can say about them what you want but they always tried to improve their games.

My guess is they're all hands on deck trying to fix bugs and performance issues, then whenever they get around to "next gen" it'll just be moving the game more towards the current high end PC experience. I don't think theres really anything the new consoles let CDPR do that current high end PCs can't.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk feels like the next Bioshock Infinite or Skyward Sword where people will look at the reviews in a few years and wonder what the critics were thinking.
We're already at that point lol

Neither Infinite nor Skyward Sword were riddled with glitches like this, yet all the usual outlets gave it a pass and stamped a 9 on it anyway.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Can you check your play time on PS5? I went to my profile and it said 4 hours but it said that yesterday too.

Went into my saved data storage and saw 05:36 next to my latest save which seems more accurate..

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
Are there significant story differences and ways to play? Wondering if I should do a run now and then again once it's fully next gen.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Tried it again after the new patch on PS4, no crashes yet but still looks bad and buggy. Started the hotel mission and here things begin to look interesting, but I got a glitch during the mission where an NPC is invisible and I need to interact with them to continue so I guess I'll restart a load.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I tried that but disabling RTX tanks my GPU usage even more.

Just really frustrating to already be bottlenecked with a 3700X which is just a year old and everyone telling you it will work great with a 3080...

I think like there is a need for explanationbof how this works.

Basically:

Your CPU sends processed data of a frame to the GPU which then renders it to a visible picture on screen.
That means that most data has to be processed by the CPU at first. That means that if your CPU is too weak, the GPU doesnt get as much data as it can actually process/render which leads to low GPU usage.

So by disabling RTX you reduce stress on the GPU (most graphics settings have an impact on the GPU and almost non on the CPU) which means that it has to work even less. Because the CPU can only provide so many frames, the GPU has ressources left.
On the plus side you can go all out with the settings until you hit 99-100% GPU usage before you see any impact on the framerate.

I guess CP is either bugged or there is so much data processed in the background (like NPCs or game features/systems) that most CPUs are being maxed out.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
eILtALQ.jpg

Maybe it's time for AAA games to embrace the term 'Early Access'.

Last edited:

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if the next gen Patch will only be graphical updates for next gen consoles or if they will "expand" the game by adding some stuff to the open world or even improve AI.
I mean the game is their baby I guess and I dont think they let it be as it is.
You can say about them what you want but they always tried to improve their games.
I really don't mind graphics at this point, just patch in a proper KI and more life in this city.

The future of this game will be interesting to follow.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
My guess is they're all hands on deck trying to fix bugs and performance issues, then whenever they get around to "next gen" it'll just be moving the game more towards the current high end PC experience. I don't think theres really anything the new consoles let CDPR do that current high end PCs can't.

Yea, but I meant it more in a way like they will release it under "Enhanced Edition" again which will also be a free update for PC. Same as they did with Witcher 1 & 2 and GOTY Edition of Witcher 3.

However Im not sure if they have ever introduced major gameplay features in DLCs or.updates. Someone mentioned barber shops in TW3 but afaik they were already in at launch.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I read through some of the Reddit comments. This one got me, and if it is true (seems it is), it's so disappointing.

• No NPC Day/Night cycle. NPCs spawn and despawn outside of the player's view.
  • If an NPC is doing an action, they will do that action forever until the player moves.
  • NPCs that are not story/side quest related have one dialog reply.
  • If one NPC is assaulted, every other NPC in a large circle around the player will crouch to the floor in the same animation, even if they did not see the original assault.
  • NPCs in a car will follow a specific route. If the route is even slightly interupted, for example by your car, they will cease to move forever until you remove the obstruction.
  • NPCs in a car will not attempt to move or exit their vehicle if you assault them with bullets/another vehicle.
  • NPCs will not acknowledge the player if they run the player over with their car.
  • NPCs will not attempt to steal their vehicle back if you steal it from them.
  • NPCs will not attack you or defend themselves in any way or form, even if engaged upon with just fists.
  • Police spawn around the player's vision when the player is wanted, forever, until they attempt to hide or drive away.
  • Police to not attempt to question, warn, or arrest the player for even the smallest crime commited, for example if you bump into them or accidently enter a private area.
  • Police are incapable of driving cars and chasing the player if they drive away.
  • Police will not attack hostile targets like Gangs if they are not already doing so in an activity.
  • Police will know if the player has attacked an NPC in the middle of the badlands and spawn next to the player, without vehicles.
  • NPCs will rarely thank or acknowledge the player if they are helped by the player.
  • Scripted NPCs that have dialog will say their dialog then proceed to stand there forever. They will also repeat the same dialog if the player leaves the area and visits again later.
No interactivity with pretty much anything as well. Can't sit down to have a bite to eat from street vendors. Can't go into most doors, can't play arcades. No mini games, no unique events (not quests) or interesting NPC AI. I guess this is more Metro Exodus with some Deus Ex mixed in vs what a lot of folks were hoping.

I am going to still keep my Best Buy physical copy since it came with a steelbook and wound up being about $40 for me, but with a 1080Ti I am going to wait for a few more optimization patches. Although I am kind of tempted to return it (haven't opened it).

Here's some dude on youtube comparing Cyberpunk NPCs to GTA V NPCs.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a dumb question, but how do you trigger gorilla arms for checks?

I'm not leveling body, so figured I'd pick them instead of the monowire (which proved near useless, even with a high cool stat)...but do they only work on a certain 'subset' of body door opening checks?

I haven't seen any way to trigger them for any 'open garage doors' or even locked doors so far, and I've been looking around during gigs and a few main missions.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
The gorilla arms cybernetic says it allows you to force open locked doors but I've yet to find a locked door I can force open. They're as locked as ever.

Edit: seems the person right above me has the same issue ha

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Maybe they thought this would released on last gen. Then it past the point of no return and they didn't want to scrap their work and restart. So they just kept chugging along.

Its got such highs and lows.

Last edited:

RealEvil

Nov 6, 2017
Started today on 1.04 PS5 with film grain off etc.

Visuals not as bad I feared but way off "next gen" which is fair enough. Was "fine" and wouldn't stop me playing.

Only 90 mins in. Didn't crash but an on screen popup about my stash wouldn't disappear for a while too long. Very minor. I don't have a good handle on the game yet but I have had way better first 90 mins in many other games. Like the visuals it was "fine".

Is it maybe this year's Fallout 76? Everyone is waiting on the next magical patch to fix it all... And it won't.

Really, really wondering how all the 9/10 or 10/10 reviewers are feeling right now? I guess on a 3080 and 2019/2020 CPU it's great? But all that BS about only using CDPR video/images in reviews... In retrospect that should have been a massive red flag?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to determine how much this game will let me role-play and the lack of a certain dialog option when talking to a specific character is starting to annoy me.

When speaking with Takemura, why is there no option to tell him that your glad Arasaka is dead because he was corporate scum? I can't figure out if my character is just playing him or if this game is that restrictive in role-playing that I can't even bad mouth a corporate overlord.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Is it maybe this year's Fallout 76? Everyone is waiting on the next magical patch to fix it all... And it won't.

Really, really wondering how all the 9/10 or 10/10 reviewers are feeling right now? I guess on a 3080 and 2019/2020 CPU it's great? But all that BS about only using CDPR video/images in reviews... In retrospect that should have been a massive red flag?

Game quality is definitely platform specific. On PC its nowhere near 76, I've been having a blast and I think the game is beautiful. But I'm also running a 3600XT/3080 so my experience is not going to be the average. One X and PS4 Pro seem compromised but playable, but everyone on the base consoles is in for a rough trip.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Seriously considering refunding this and getting it in a year's time or something. Performance is so up and down, bugs, using a controller on PC feels like shit no matter what settings I try and I'm just not enjoying my time with it.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to give it more time but so far....eh? Like, ass far as first-person rpgs go, kinda enjoyed the last two deus ex games more