• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Unplayable for me, I gave it a solid 5-6h. I think I'm gonna wait for a while before jumping in again. Like minor visual bugs I can tolerate. Game breaking ones like being stuck in the scanning screens, constantly falling through terrain not so much.

Duck-Zilla

Feb 21, 2018
Got the game refunded on my XSX this morning after playing about 7 hours on it. Took about 20 secs to fill the reasons why and 30 minutes later my refund was accepted.

I did like what I played though... However could already see the shortcomings so decided to refund it and ill wait for next-gen patch and see if CDPR update and fix most of the issues the game has.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I am really liking this game because of its ambition, a game like this in a setting like this is a dream come true. That said the game will be much better to play once it's properly patched. There's a lot of things that needs fixing from bugs, movement, to unintended design effects (like how the auto dismantling perk, which is a necessarily in game where you pick up so much junk, ends up dismantling valuable items as well).

Once those things are fixed, more powerful hardware comes out, and more dlc is out the game Is go back to the game again in a year or two's time.

This cyberpsycho sidejob was pretty fun I would say. This was like my 8th try? The dude can straight up one or two shot you so you have to dodge a lot..
However dodging in this game is so jank because you end up crouching a lot it should be a seperate button.

Dodging is jank on KB/m as well, often it's register one long press of a key as two press. Completely fucks up stealth when you are trying to sneak and V does a dash right in front of a guard.

The collision engine is pretty bad too, which causes issues in movement and time there's an elevation change it's a dice roll on whether V will glitch out or not. I've had V stand up automatically while sneaking and bumping into objects, I've had V fall through objects, and I've had V literally explode just from falling half a metre..like the example below which has happens to me 2-3 times

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
I can confirm that compiler fix gave me about 10% on my 3700x. I took a save and drove around section of the city and gained about 6-10fps and now I rarely drop under 60 with everything maxed with pyscho settings on the 2 that allow with DLSS on quality. 1440p.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Man it's getting infuriating.

I've been using the same green Tech Shotgun for now over 35h (upgrade and recraft it regularily).
Are there NO OTHER tech shotguns in the game?!

And I already have 20 Technical Ability, but have yet to find even a blue crafting spec for it. Let alone epic or legendary.
What gives? Anyone know the location of either of them? I think I've visited almost all gun stores in the game - no luck.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This cyberpsycho sidejob was pretty fun I would say. This was like my 8th try? The dude can straight up one or two shot you so you have to dodge a lot..
However dodging in this game is so jank because you end up crouching a lot it should be a seperate button.

DOOM Eternal essentially ruined how a bunch of FPS games should handle. Dodging in that game 🔥

TraderPoe

Oct 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
I turned off RT in favor of 4K ultra + Dlss quality on my 3080 and I'm happier. The game looked inexplicably blurry at 1440p and even dlss performance. I much prefer image quality above the rest

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018
I am really liking this game because of its ambition, a game like this in a setting like this is a dream come true. That said the game will be much better to play once it's properly patched. There's a lot of things that needs fixing from bugs, movement, to unintended design effects (like how the auto dismantling perk, which is a necessarily in game where you pick up so much junk, ends up dismantling valuable items as well).

Once those things are fixed, more powerful hardware comes out, and more dlc is out the game Is go back to the game again in a year or two's time.

Dodging is jank on KB/m as well, often it's register one long press of a key as two press. Completely fucks up stealth when you are trying to sneak and V does a dash right in front of a guard.

The collision engine is pretty bad too, which causes issues in movement and time there's an elevation change it's a dice roll on whether V will glitch out or not. I've had V stand up automatically while sneaking and bumping into objects, I've had V fall through objects, and I've had V literally explode just from falling half a metre..like the example below which has happens to me 2-3 times

What GPU are you using?

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Nvidia just came out with some recommended settings for RTX cards depending on the resolution you're using.

I decided to try the recommended 4k settings for my RTX 3070 and damn, the game runs at 50 FPS with 4k/DLSS performance. Even smoother with Gsync enabled. The picture quality of 4k with DLSS performance mode blows away any of the 1440p settings.

Apparently most of the settings recommended turning volumetric clouds completely off, it most be one of the heavier settings that could be sacrificed.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Seeing all these successful refund requests on Xbox I am also going to try. It might be a decent game eventually, but it definitely isn't now. If I get my money back I might give it another shot once the Series X version is out. Will definitely not pay full price though.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Got the game refunded on my XSX this morning after playing about 7 hours on it. Took about 20 secs to fill the reasons why and 30 minutes later my refund was accepted.

I did like what I played though... However could already see the shortcomings so decided to refund it and ill wait for next-gen patch and see if CDPR update and fix most of the issues the game has.

I also just got my refund..after exactly 12 minutes lmao

I've been playing God of War 2018 to remind me that gaming can be good

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia just came out with some recommended settings for RTX cards depending on the resolution you're using.

I decided to try the recommended 4k settings for my RTX 3070 and damn, the game runs at 50 FPS with 4k/DLSS performance. Even smoother with Gsync enabled. The picture quality of 4k with DLSS performance mode blows away any of the 1440p settings.

Apparently most of the settings recommended turning volumetric clouds completely off, it most be one of the heavier settings that could be sacrificed.
You know what? It didn't even register in my brain that I could turn some of those settings off. I was primarily fiddling around with RT settings, DLSS settings to look for differences and performance hits. But I'm fairly certain some of the raster settings have huge performance hits for little gain in visuals.

That said it's my CPU that's the problem here, it's old. i7 6700K just can't keep up in city and is bottlenecking my 3080 big time.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really enjoying my time. After the First few missions the game opened up nicely.

A little bit rough, but still very very good. Can't understand the hate outside the issues with representation and technical aspects.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
What's this 16 gig update all about? I wish there was patch notes to read while waiting to download. If you play any games while waiting for the update to finish your download speeds tank

Oct 29, 2017
PS4 Pro here.

Welp, I encountered many stupid glitches, but nothing game-breaking yet. 17 hours in and around 4-5 crashes. Performance is shit, the game sometimes looks good, but very meh overall and borderline hideous in other times. Most of the annoying gameplay implications are performance related, but 1.04 fixed some heavy traffic related stuff for me. Overall I'm over the bugs and performance, it is more than playable. Somewhat better than Skyrim was on the PS3.

But without excusing them, bugs will most likely be fixed. What we are left with is a pretty average RPG with many problems.

- The hacking system is a mess. It's clearly wants to emulate Deus Ex HR and MD, has the systems in place for it but not the encounter design. The whole subnet system is a mess and makes no sense, the cameras are a convoluted mess. It works in a sense, you can help yourself with hacking cameras and breaching, but because the game itself does not resemble any logic that can be observed by the player it is impossible to do what you could in Deus Ex. Actual planning and well executed hacking. It's all about breaking into everything and hope for the best. What a missed opportunity.
- The lack of adventure. It took some time to realise what was wrong with side quests. In The Witcher 3 you started off in the countryside, doing the main quest you met with characters that gave you multi-objective sidequests with a short story and objectives that were related to the situation/location. You had to slay mythical monsters in the countrysides, solve mysterious legends in Skellige and do heists and political fuckery in Novigrad. You felt like you were truly on an adventure, doing completely different things depending on the location and people you were interacting. In Cyberpunk Night City offers the same short, uninteresting side quests everywhere, no matter the district. There are no unique class/location-based problem for the people living in Pacifica or in the City Centre. Fixer calls you, tells you do do X and you do it. The end. Much, much worse than The Witcher 3, which I did not expect.
- You wear what you pick up. It is not possible to put much more thought into crafting or buying nice stuff from vendors because it is seemingly all random, especially the crafting specs. I wish there was some set or style I could build towards.
- The atmosphere is fantastic. The city looks distinct enough and absolutely amazing. I just wish they filled it with content that matches this.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Funny. I go to the photo mode, choose to hide the ui to take a screenshot but the blue cursor stays on the screen... is that a bug or something?

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Is HDR just straight busted on consoles or are my settings messed up? The game looks awful, especially outside
It's definitely the convoluted settings. It can look fantastic once you actually nail it down. As a general tip, look up your TVs peak brightness in HDR and select that as the first level. For tone mapping, basically think of it as balancing your blacks and whites. I found 1.0 to be the correct mapping on my TV. The UI peak is personal preference, I left it at 100.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
There's 120k mostly positive reviews on Steam after a single day. Safe to say it's a hit and lots of people are enjoying it. You might want to look outside era to get a better idea on how people are feeling about it tbh.

What about ~50% of the playerbase which is playing on console?

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I had the biggest smile on my face when Glados showed up! Absolutely loving this quest line and this one was just a fantastic surprise!

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I tried that but disabling RTX tanks my GPU usage even more.

Just really frustrating to already be bottlenecked with a 3700X which is just a year old and everyone telling you it will work great with a 3080...

Hey, there is a solution for Ryzen performance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kbp0np/cyberpunk_2077_seems_to_ignore_smt_and_mostly/gfjf1vo/

Tried it myself and it improved my fps while driving and crowds by 15-20%, much more consistently above 60.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
It's definitely the convoluted settings. It can look fantastic once you actually nail it down. As a general tip, look up your TVs peak brightness in HDR and select that as the first level. For tone mapping, basically think of it as balancing your blacks and whites. I found 1.0 to be the correct mapping on my TV. The UI peak is personal preference, I left it at 100.

But in HDR the colors are much worse because of the broken HDR implementation. You can adjust the HDR how you want but the SDR image will always be better in this game

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I'm honestly shocked that this is true but i just tried and works:

Tutorial

It seems that the game use an Intel compiler and that makes the performance on AMD CPU way worst (i suppose this applies to console too?), so editing the .exe can bring you big fps gains if you are on an AMD CPU.

Screenshots of my own, before:
Cyberpunk2077-2020-12-12-20-00-48.png

After:
Cyberpunk2077-2020-12-12-20-03-19.png

As you see i get in this particularity scene a jump of 9fps, and the usage of the CPU goes from 53% to 88%. The game is way more stable now and drop way less. It's ridiculous and i can't understand why do they do this.

FFS, that's the issue Matlab had. Intel compiler fuckery strikes once again. It'll be interesting to see if this turns out to be true of the console versions too, and if there will be any repercussions if so.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017

You can disable the double tap in Cyberpunk 2077\r6\config

edit inputcontexts and under Multi-tap actions set the double tap count from 2 to 10 for the four directions (but not the base dodge bind).

You can still dodge by double tapping crouch button and direction I think

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
Sometimes my settings will reset when turn off the game. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm playing on PS5

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I wonder if the next gen Patch will only be graphical updates for next gen consoles or if they will "expand" the game by adding some stuff to the open world or even improve AI.
I mean the game is their baby I guess and I dont think they let it be as it is.
You can say about them what you want but they always tried to improve their games.

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Just saw a buddy of mine stream the Xbox 1 S version and wow. Just wow. Looks like Fallout 3. Shit frame rate, poor textures, and jerky animations. I'm in shock at how a game could be released in such poor shape.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't read them.

Playing on my Series X with the new patch. No more blurriness. Game looks totally different now
I'd love to see some before/after comparisons. Hopefully Digital Foundry is on it. I haven't purchased the game yet but if it looks/runs a ton better on Series X after this patch, I might have to pick it up.

Poshi

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
There's 120k mostly positive reviews on Steam after a single day. Safe to say it's a hit and lots of people are enjoying it. You might want to look outside era to get a better idea on how people are feeling about it tbh.

Totally. I was sceptical before i tried the game. Now i´m completely sold.

HDR is broken. You may be able to adjust the settings to make it not look like shit, but at a fundamental level it is broken and should be disabled.

Is HDR broken only on consoles only, or does that also apply the pc-version?