• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Had a weird side job with a militech cyberpsycho woman in a flooded square — reminded me of GitS — and she starts phasing around to dodge bullets. There's a small indoor staircase to her left though so just went in there and she followed and couldn't dodge left/right anywhere so cue 40s of me holding down the trigger, healing and looking at a blinding mess of blood splatter and blur from her "dodges" and then.. kaput lol.

🧀

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
Enjoying it so far. Performance on Series X is good but holy hell is the resolution low. I haven't played a game this blurry since The New Colossus on base Xbox One.

I think I'm gonna wai for next year's patch before continuing. Just doesn't feel right to play it looking like this.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
I am still in the first area/district of the city doing mostly side missions and quests.

I notice the icons on the map have a teal blue "open world" event and then you also have "side jobs" in yellow and I believe gigs?

As with everything in this game, things are not expanded or explained very well.

I assume in term's of content the main missions are obviously, the main game. Side jobs are bigger missions that should be played as well but optional.......what are gigs and are they random/endless? and same with the open world blue icons? do they constantly spawn or populate once you beat them?

any clarification on mission types and importance would be helpful.
I'm no longer certain what the main story mission is.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
Despite the marketing I never expected GTA: 2077. I was expecting Deus Ex with a bit more freedom, I can forgive most of these "issues." But, the actual concept that they were selling that doesn't work is what kills me.

-Why can't I sit down at bars? We already have an animation that allows it for story bits, why can't I sit whenever I want?
-Why do NPCs have nothing interesting to say?
-Why are my dialog options so limited? I thought I was role-playing.
-Why is stealth so fundamentally broken? Why does the story often fail to react to my non-lethal methods?
-Why are there no true non-lethal weapons but instead just a mod that pretends the people I'm shooting aren't actually dead?
-Why doesn't my scanner actually tell me the status of an enemy, ie incapacitated, dead, sleeping, etc.?
-Why the fuck would you map dodge to double tapping a keyboard?
-Why is hacking so boring?
-Why is there no incentive to return to V's apartment beyond our stash?
-Why is leveling up so complicated and so grindy?

I could go on. All I can say is that Deus Ex: Mankind Divided easily has the better gameplay than 2077.
The problem is they keep saying that this game is the true next gen open world experience

Had a weird side job with a cyber psycho woman in a flooded square — reminded me of GitS — and she gets phasing to dodge bullets. There's a small indoor staircase to her left though so just went in there and she followed and couldn't dodge left/right anywhere so cue 40s of me holding down the trigger, healing and looking at a blinding mess of blood splatter and blur from her "dodges" and then.. kaput lol.

🧀
The ritual? She murdered me too many times. I will try this

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Had a weird side job with a cyber psycho woman in a flooded square — reminded me of GitS — and she gets phasing to dodge bullets. There's a small indoor staircase to her left though so just went in there and she followed and couldn't dodge left/right anywhere so cue 40s of me holding down the trigger, healing and looking at a blinding mess of blood splatter and blur from her "dodges" and then.. kaput lol.

🧀

Just did something similar with a psycho in a mech. Hid in a garage and cheesed a pillar with a sniper rifle. Headshot everytime as he stared at me in horror because he couldn't figure out how to step up onto a two foot ledge.

Great AI.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa

HOLY SHIT the vehicle crash at 1:47:47 takes a full 12 seconds before the game registers the impact on the vehicle, including the impact sound and debris popping off the curb. This entire video seems to be the best demonstration I've seen so far of what a stunning mess this game is.

And outlets were scoring this 9s and 10s. What the ever loving fuck.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Just did something similar with a psycho in a mech. Hid in a garage and cheesed a pillar with a sniper rifle. Headshot everytime as he stared at me in horror because he couldn't figure out how to step up onto a two foot ledge.

Great AI.
Barely a notch up from the cars tbh 😂

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad I decided to wait for the next-gen patch on this one. Should be much more polished overall at that point as well.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The ritual? She murdered me too many times. I will try this
This was one "Lt. Mower". Honestly just picked the closest ( ! ) icon to me but I assume it'll work on any others that have that same dodging ability. Just find somewhere narrow and they'll just stick to your face while you dump rounds into them for half a minute.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
My friend is complaining to me that the main story is too short and doesn't utilize the map properly. Which sucks to hear, I'm defintiely the kind of person to do a lot of side content but I hate it when zones are underused

Cosmic

Jan 7, 2018
Enjoying it so far. Performance on Series X is good but holy hell is the resolution low. I haven't played a game this blurry since The New Colossus on base Xbox One.

I think I'm gonna wai for next year's patch before continuing. Just doesn't feel right to play it looking like this.

I'm playing on Series X performance and looks really good. It looked a little low res to begin with when but watching my brother play it now looks really sharp. It could definitely be better though. Utterly shocked that it's apparently 1080p as I've played a lot of 1080p games on my 4K tv and this looks nothing like 1080p. Bumping up the maximum HDR luminance improved the image quality massively for me also as opposed to leaving it at 500 as some recommend.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are people enjoying this game?
Genuinely hard to tell.
I'm enjoying it, but I went in with expectations that it wasn't going to be some amazing game that's making strides in the genre and redefining what it means to be a video game, like some people did apparently.

Pros:
I like the main storyline
Side missions are pretty substantial and good too
Characters are pretty well developed
The game looks great (on PC wih a good GPU)
Art design is awesome
Gameplay is fun, even if it's not revolutionary
Multiple approaches to deal with missions

Cons:
Edginess of the world (particularly when it comes to gender/sexuality issues)
For as amazing as the world looks, it's mostly window-dressing
Lack of agency story-wise, feels like most things play out the same way no matter how you do it

If you treat the game like a narrative focused game with one real path to go down and the world as just a big 'hub world' to get to mission from mission, it's an enjoyable and good experience. Both CDPR and people waiting for this game hyped it up to be way more than any video game could really be. It's not some transcendent experience, it's a fun video game. It suffers because it tries to do so much so it doesn't fully hit 10/10 marks in any particular aspect.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
These damn glitches. I did those dumb Delamian car side missions and as part of that mission one of the AI's has a glitchy video phone feed. Now, all my phone calls has this effect along with Delamin showing in their background.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the game and the glitch is still present. Fuck.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I was initially going to wait for patches before jumping in but all the YouTube videos I've watched pushed me over the edge.

Other than some minor issues the game has absolutely blown me away. CDPR really knocked it out of the park here and the most notable thing is the sense of place you have in that city. I love how grounded it all feels.

The graphics are amazing too. Playing on a 2070 with mostly ultra settings and DLSS enabled and other than some minor hiccups the game runs flawlessly. I'm really impressed (and relieved lol) after hearing all the horror stories.

As someone who wasn't the biggest Witcher 3 fan, Cyberpunk might have won my over. I'm still far from what you'd call a CDPR fanboy but they've clearly reached elite status with their past two titles. I'm excited for the future of Cyberpunk because you just know their post launch support with be incredible if Witcher 3 is anything to go by.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The Witcher 3's world is immersing because you spend a lot of time travelling between towns, villages, and cities and not a lot of time spent in each of these. The game emphasises negative space and adventuring into the unknown, drawing distinctions between civilisation and wilderness. This helps embodying the role of Geralt as a nomadic wanderer and the game's pacing as you move from location to location taking on new adventures and stories as you discover them. A stretch of play in The Witcher 3 could involve riding into several small towns, meeting the locals, and getting caught up in a short but interesting quest, while also riding off the beaten path on your own adventures in between to uncover old ruins or spooky mysteries that also have their own stories. And even though the NPCs were crudely limited in what they did, the limited time you spent in towns meant they seemed to fill the roles allocated to them just long enough for it to be interesting and make the towns feel like actual places. It also helps that each of these locations and the roles NPCs would engage in were contextual to their place in the landscape; foresting towns, bricklayers, bee hives, etc.

Night City, by comparison, is a big slab of concrete that doesn't really have any distinction of location or zone. NPCs are varied in their outfits and look, and I think their density on PC is good enough, but there's no sense of being a part of the city or the city itself feeling like an organic place with its own identity that V must exist in. It's a very nice looking city, but there's an unusual sterility to how it expresses its implied tone. Like this chaotic, dangerous, edge-of-trends world they keep talking about doesn't actually exist in front of you. Streets look the same, concrete alleys blend together, there's a million samey looking shopfronts around every corner, and the NPCs never do anything or exist in the place that make it feel the city is a place that could exist without your presence.

This is in striking contrast to The Witcher 3 where Geralt largely feels like a nobody in a big world that would exist without his presence. You instead explore and get caught up in the lives of other people and their adventures. There's the sense of a war going that exists without you, conflicts without you, drama without you, and so on. Old grudges, old mysterious, ancient horrors, etc.

V, on the other hand, doesn't feel like a nobody trying to make it big in a city that is apathetic to their existence. Which is...the point of the game. That's the tone they're trying to set. That this big city chews up and spits out people because it's survival for the fittest in the worst place on Earth that can also be the best place on Earth if you play your cards right. But where The Witcher 3 does mostly manage to conjure a sense of place and presence to even the little towns you stumble across and ride into, that Geralt is a guest in someone else's home, V seems distinctly the only interesting point of reference when walking around the city since everything else is so unemotive and flat.

The difference is felt all the more when you enter the more scripted sequences in bars and clubs and whatnot, where I feel the tone begins to shine. Characters come into their own and you start to feel that other people exist in this city with their own agendas, lives, and dramas. But outside of these big beat story moments Night City is a very pretty place with a lot of people walking around and dense geometry and a great sense of visual scale yet somehow seems like the most boring city on Earth.
Bravo, I couldn't have said better.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely hard to tell.

The more I play it, the more I enjoy it. Just exploring the city alone is extremely cool. It seems like the game is sort of a slow burn at first but it starts getting interesting once you get with Dex and start getting into the heist missions.

I'm playing on PC as well though.

Still have yet to run into Johnny Silverhand and I'm over 4 hours in.

Zularti

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else love that freaking japanese song on Body Heat. I finally found it Ponpon Shit ha.
It's also hard to find a good "I'm a wage slave" car for my corpo guy.

Speaking broadly of reviews though I disagree saying it should be a worse score. On PC, PS5, and XSX it runs really well. I've been having a ton of fun on my PS5 and think its well worth the cost. The story has been enjoyable the characters are good once you get to know them. Now do I think they are missing the mark on some cyberpunk material of course. There are a lot of themes I wish they'd address but they don't.

I also don't think its fair to say that have to. Not everything has to reinvent the wheel. Sometimes you just want a cool cyberpunk game with a good story and to have some fun and thats totally OK. I have books and movies about cyberpunk that provide me with stories I appreciate more from the genre. Stories can be good but also not address core problems in a setting and it doesn't make them bad.

The only huge bad part is the ps4 and xbox one. That is completely insane and those version should be canceled they deserve all the low scores they get for those systems. The fact that they even released the base console versions is basically a scam in my book. They completely mislead people and refused to show footage of it for reviews. Doesn't change the fact that the game is fun on next gen and PC. Base console is just crazy though and should be a huge quality mark against them for the rest of their days.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Genuinely hard to tell.

I am. I would probably be having a worse time if I were playing it on a console or a lower-spec PC though.

Stealthing my way through encounters feels great, almost like this is a bigger budget Deus Ex - and I love it in that context. Obviously, the game needs a little more work around the edges but the sheer scale and scope of the city is incredible. I often just stop and take it all in.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Very disappointed with the game. I already did not expect much from the gunplay/mechanics, but even then, its extremely lacking. The story and world building that supposedly would be the major point also didn't grab me. All this with a unstable performance, obnoxious UI, lack of basic QOL options .... It simply is not pleasing to play. Back to Destiny, I guess...

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
The dialog choices are pretty lame to be fair even though I'm enjoying the game and the story. It's a really fun ride but I really don't feel like there's any meaningful choices so far or impact through dialog.
If this was Bethesda people would be shitting on them for making a dumbed down RPG dialog like Fallout 4. I like the gameplay in Cyberpunk and definitely all the setpieces and the general storytelling in this more than Fallout but still dialog choices are definitely a negative for this game.

The Witcher 3 was even better too and that was their last game. Definitely disappointing.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Genuinely hard to tell.
Still in the epilogue and exploring the city map markers and completing gigs. Go in, clear out doods, and get loot. It's a fine enough loop right now as I also ran across one of those fist fight mission location. If what's being said about the main story picking up and act 2 i'm eager to get there at some point this weekend.

There's a lot more skill trees that i thought there would be, hopefully they feel meaningful on the high tier ones.

LoadRunner

Sep 19, 2020
I'm loving this game on PS5. Amazing character creation choice, tons of perks to make your build unique, and a great story so far bolstered by fantastic voice acting.

I have experienced a couple bugs and one crash, didn't lose any progress though and it was just a software crash, not a full system resetting crash (looking at you COD) so nothing too bad yet.

My problem is I'm at the start of Act 2 and I just feel now like the training wheels are off. I tried to explore early on, but was turned back towards the city (I'm a street kid) so I'm just lost in the city and plowed through the story until now. I feel like the 8-10 hour Act 1 is the tutorial and I've barely scratched the surface so far. This is the problem with feedback with this game atm, it's so far an easy 8/10 for me but I haven't seen enough to say for sure. Exploring the city freely and how much fun this is will be the true test for me.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
Genuinely hard to tell.
I've played it for almost 15h and haven't touched the main story since the beginning where I didn't have a choice. I just keep doing side missions and upgrading / acquiring currency. So yeah, I am enjoying it quite a bit. (e: and I generally hate open world games with repetitive mission design, aka. Ubisoft games). And since the story is universally well received the best is yet to come, apparently.
On a good gaming rig the jank is no more than in a Bethesda game.

Oct 27, 2017
I may be getting this game for free. That's why I asked. Thanks for the responses. Frankly, that was the only way I would play it, because I'm not paying money to support CDPR. It is pleasing to hear that the game does have some humanity. I actually prefer a linear game coming of Valhalla.

Saw a couple variations of basically "Kallie Plagge was right" on reddit today.

Good.