• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's an RPG but you spend 90% of the time in the menus. I don't know what to keep, what to sell or which perks I should upgrade. Also I have a cyber thing mod and don't know how to equip it.

Sell your junk. Unless you're strapped for money I'd just break down the weapons I ain't using for scrap.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really surprised at how well this plays on Stadia. 7 hours playtime and only a few model and button glitches, nothing gamebreaking.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I read through some of the Reddit comments. This one got me, and if it is true (seems it is), it's so disappointing.

• No NPC Day/Night cycle. NPCs spawn and despawn outside of the player's view.
  • If an NPC is doing an action, they will do that action forever until the player moves.
  • NPCs that are not story/side quest related have one dialog reply.
  • If one NPC is assaulted, every other NPC in a large circle around the player will crouch to the floor in the same animation, even if they did not see the original assault.
  • NPCs in a car will follow a specific route. If the route is even slightly interupted, for example by your car, they will cease to move forever until you remove the obstruction.
  • NPCs in a car will not attempt to move or exit their vehicle if you assault them with bullets/another vehicle.
  • NPCs will not acknowledge the player if they run the player over with their car.
  • NPCs will not attempt to steal their vehicle back if you steal it from them.
  • NPCs will not attack you or defend themselves in any way or form, even if engaged upon with just fists.
  • Police spawn around the player's vision when the player is wanted, forever, until they attempt to hide or drive away.
  • Police to not attempt to question, warn, or arrest the player for even the smallest crime commited, for example if you bump into them or accidently enter a private area.
  • Police are incapable of driving cars and chasing the player if they drive away.
  • Police will not attack hostile targets like Gangs if they are not already doing so in an activity.
  • Police will know if the player has attacked an NPC in the middle of the badlands and spawn next to the player, without vehicles.
  • NPCs will rarely thank or acknowledge the player if they are helped by the player.
  • Scripted NPCs that have dialog will say their dialog then proceed to stand there forever. They will also repeat the same dialog if the player leaves the area and visits again later.
No interactivity with pretty much anything as well. Can't sit down to have a bite to eat from street vendors. Can't go into most doors, can't play arcades. No mini games, no unique events (not quests) or interesting NPC AI. I guess this is more Metro Exodus with some Deus Ex mixed in vs what a lot of folks were hoping.

I am going to still keep my Best Buy physical copy since it came with a steelbook and wound up being about $40 for me, but with a 1080Ti I am going to wait for a few more optimization patches. Although I am kind of tempted to return it (haven't opened it).

Despite the marketing I never expected GTA: 2077. I was expecting Deus Ex with a bit more freedom, I can forgive most of these "issues." But, the actual concept that they were selling that doesn't work is what kills me.

-Why can't I sit down at bars? We already have an animation that allows it for story bits, why can't I sit whenever I want?
-Why do NPCs have nothing interesting to say?
-Why are my dialog options so limited? I thought I was role-playing.
-Why is stealth so fundamentally broken? Why does the story often fail to react to my non-lethal methods?
-Why are there no true non-lethal weapons but instead just a mod that pretends the people I'm shooting aren't actually dead?
-Why doesn't my scanner actually tell me the status of an enemy, ie incapacitated, dead, sleeping, etc.?
-Why the fuck would you map dodge to double tapping a keyboard?
-Why is hacking so boring?
-Why is there no incentive to return to V's apartment beyond our stash?
-Why is leveling up so complicated and so grindy?

I could go on. All I can say is that Deus Ex: Mankind Divided easily has the better gameplay than 2077.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Despite the marketing I never expected GTA: 2077. I was expecting Deus Ex with a bit more freedom, I can forgive most of these "issues." But, the actual concept that they were selling that doesn't work is what kills me.

-Why can't I sit down at bars? We already have an animation that allows it for story bits, why can't I sit whenever I want?
-Why do NPCs have nothing interesting to say?
-Why are my dialog options so limited? I thought I was role-playing.
-Why is stealth so fundamentally broken? Why does the story often fail to react to my non-lethal methods?
-Why are there no true non-lethal weapons but instead just a mod that pretends the people I'm shooting aren't actually dead?
-Why doesn't my scanner actually tell me the status of an enemy, ie incapacitated, dead, sleeping, etc.?
-Why the fuck would you map dodge to double tapping a keyboard?
-Why is hacking so boring?
-Why is there no incentive to return to V's apartment beyond our stash?
-Why is leveling up so complicated and so grindy?

I could go on. All I can say is that Deus Ex: Mankind Divided easily has the better gameplay than 2077.

Watching all the videos is actually making me want to play Deus Ex again.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Curious of DF does some Geforce now and Stadia vid for this game. Almost feel like this is the first time it really is something to talk about.
Dictator any plans for that? :)

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well damn. Was hoping my pc could do at least 1440 60fps but no nice. Might as well play on PS5. My gut wants to wait for upgrade but it's too hard to wait. :(

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
3080 folks, what settings are you using that can hold 60 fps at 1440p? Game looks great maxed out but it drops to 45 in the open city and is quite annoying.

Considering just dropping all the RTX stuff and going without it...

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
The game makes me motion sick within 10 minutes on PS4 Pro. I think its a record since with HL2 I at least lasted for half an hour before feeling squeamish. Gonna ask for refund citing medical issue.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
I think I'm gonna need a degree in Excel to figure out this hacking minigame! LOL!

It's quite easy. You are looking to mimic the pattern they ask for. When you pick a code (BD, 55, 1C, etc), you can then only pick another code in that same row horizontally. When you pick the next code, you can now only pick a code in that row vertically. So if the code is 1C, 7A, 55. Look for a 1C in the first column. Know that once you pick it, you will only be able to pick codes from the next ROW (horizontal)... so you want to make sure there is a 7A in the row that your 1C is in. Once you pick the 7A, again you can only pick vertically, in the column. Look for a 55. Call it a day.

The trick comes from trying to do multiple codes within the buffer (amount of codes you can pick). The more you can solve in one attempt, the better).

This game is Deus Ex with a gigantic world, it's really impressive in that sense and a dream to me. It is disappointing the npcs and open world don't react as well as GTA or other open world games but this game has way better gameplay and missions than those other open world games for sure. None of those games have as good action or options in gameplay with all of these perks, hacking can be really effective. Shooting feels amazing for a Deus Ex style game. The character interactions are awesome without cutting to fancy camera angles/taking control away or locking faces to the screen. Those other open world games don't attempt to do a lot of what this game does so I'm happy with what's been delivered personally. Even if sandbox gameplay could've possibly been improved with more time.

I think it was shady from their marketing department in a lot of ways for hyping it up as a GTA like experience and never showing the base console versions accurately. They deserve the shame for that. Lots of BS there.

But I've been loving it on PC! I can't wait to do more playthroughs in the future when I get a graphics card upgrade and more patches and hopefully mods are out for it.

As a fan of Deus Ex, I'm enjoying what I'm playing. Tons of visual bugs on PC but nothing stopped me from playing about 10 hours yesterday (minus my cat).

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Overall I am enjoying the game for the main story missions, but for fuck's sake could it do without all the stereotypical open world bullshit. The incessant phone calls are so fucking annoying. Car purchases, car races, shooting ranges, fight clubs, tracking down random criminals, jesus shut the fuck up! Most of this bullshit also isn't going into a separate bullshit sidequest category which is annoying. They should have spent more time on meaningful characters and quests in the world.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna need a degree in Excel to figure out this hacking minigame! LOL!

It isn't too bad. It's a grid minigame where you choose which reward (on the right) you'd rather have. It's possible to get more than one reward if you pick the correct numbers. Start off on the x axis and find the first number, then it locks you to the y axis to find the second number correspondent in the sequence, select said number then it locks you on an x axis again to continue cracking. Rinse and repeat.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe a dumb question but... is it normal that the gear you wear, even the long-sleeved gear, always has the sleeves short, or is that a bug?

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Like everybody comparing the two, I don't think I've dealt with graphical issues this bad in a R* game since GTAV on Xbox 360. RDR2 looked amazing when the game came out, and it still looks amazing even after the launch of next gen. I know, two different open worlds and Cyberpunk is pursuing a "denser" scope but it's an eyesore. It's all I can think about every time I'm playing this game lol.
They've only made the two games since 2013. And gta was more ambitious for the hardware it was targeting imho

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I can't lie, that this is focused more on the critical path and playing the story instead of an immersive open world makes it more interesting for me. I think I'm seriously burned out on open worlds atm.

Which has nothing to do with the fact that they seemingly advertised a completely different game. Made it sound like the interactivity of Deus Ex but with the size of an open world. Welp.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
It's quite easy. You are looking to mimic the pattern they ask for. When you pick a code (BD, 55, 1C, etc), you can then only pick another code in that same row horizontally. When you pick the next code, you can now only pick a code in that row vertically. So if the code is 1C, 7A, 55. Look for a 1C in the first column. Know that once you pick it, you will only be able to pick codes from the next ROW (horizontal)... so you want to make sure there is a 7A in the row that your 1C is in. Once you pick the 7A, again you can only pick vertically, in the column. Look for a 55. Call it a day.

The trick comes from trying to do multiple codes within the buffer (amount of codes you can pick). The more you can solve in one attempt, the better).
Thanks! The first one I did worked but I did not select exactly the required sequence. The correct combination was included in the numbers I selected, so that must have been it. Very odd!!

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I've been getting good results from my 3060 Ti, but it seems my aging CPU (i7 5820k six-core @ 4.4 GHz) is the bottleneck when driving or moving in some areas. I'm guessing this game has a shit-ton of draw calls, because all 12 threads were 100% maxed out in areas where I get less than 60 FPS. But the weird thing is I'll go through the same area later and have no problems. Gonna have to wait and see what the most CPU-heavy settings are and adjust from there, or if they optimize further, but it seems my best hope is to get a display with VRR. I have no plans to replace that i7 anytime soon as it's still a great CPU.

Deleted member 34169

User requested account closure
Nov 23, 2017
The Witcher 3's world is immersing because you spend a lot of time travelling between towns, villages, and cities and not a lot of time spent in each of these. The game emphasises negative space and adventuring into the unknown, drawing distinctions between civilisation and wilderness. This helps embodying the role of Geralt as a nomadic wanderer and the game's pacing as you move from location to location taking on new adventures and stories as you discover them. A stretch of play in The Witcher 3 could involve riding into several small towns, meeting the locals, and getting caught up in a short but interesting quest, while also riding off the beaten path on your own adventures in between to uncover old ruins or spooky mysteries that also have their own stories. And even though the NPCs were crudely limited in what they did, the limited time you spent in towns meant they seemed to fill the roles allocated to them just long enough for it to be interesting and make the towns feel like actual places. It also helps that each of these locations and the roles NPCs would engage in were contextual to their place in the landscape; foresting towns, bricklayers, bee hives, etc.

Night City, by comparison, is a big slab of concrete that doesn't really have any distinction of location or zone. NPCs are varied in their outfits and look, and I think their density on PC is good enough, but there's no sense of being a part of the city or the city itself feeling like an organic place with its own identity that V must exist in. It's a very nice looking city, but there's an unusual sterility to how it expresses its implied tone. Like this chaotic, dangerous, edge-of-trends world they keep talking about doesn't actually exist in front of you. Streets look the same, concrete alleys blend together, there's a million samey looking shopfronts around every corner, and the NPCs never do anything or exist in the place that make it feel the city is a place that could exist without your presence.

This is in striking contrast to The Witcher 3 where Geralt largely feels like a nobody in a big world that would exist without his presence. You instead explore and get caught up in the lives of other people and their adventures. There's the sense of a war going that exists without you, conflicts without you, drama without you, and so on. Old grudges, old mysterious, ancient horrors, etc.

V, on the other hand, doesn't feel like a nobody trying to make it big in a city that is apathetic to their existence. Which is...the point of the game. That's the tone they're trying to set. That this big city chews up and spits out people because it's survival for the fittest in the worst place on Earth that can also be the best place on Earth if you play your cards right. But where The Witcher 3 does mostly manage to conjure a sense of place and presence to even the little towns you stumble across and ride into, that Geralt is a guest in someone else's home, V seems distinctly the only interesting point of reference when walking around the city since everything else is so unemotive and flat.

The difference is felt all the more when you enter the more scripted sequences in bars and clubs and whatnot, where I feel the tone begins to shine. Characters come into their own and you start to feel that other people exist in this city with their own agendas, lives, and dramas. But outside of these big beat story moments Night City is a very pretty place with a lot of people walking around and dense geometry and a great sense of visual scale yet somehow seems like the most boring city on Earth.
Couldn't have said it better myself. You pretty much summed up all my thoughts a lot more eloquently than I did lol.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Anyone else find items absolutely useless in this game? They have some bonus stat boosts but you really don't need them at all. Even stuff you can buy at stores are pretty useless
I just sell it all so yeah items - like SO MANY things in this game - what ever is the point.

As I have played CP more, my impression has steadily been declining. Once I got over the OMG NEON!! world and exploring, the faults and cut corners are everywhere.

Witcher 3 felt like a big, varied, lived in world. Night City feels like a district, copied and changed 50 times to create a gigantic world. Similar loot, enemy encounters, lifeless NPCs with ZERO emergent behavior ( this is a glaring flaw).

There are for sure moments that have wowed me. But in between those is a whole lot of "WTF were they thinking".

I know it was announced 8 years ago, but I heavily believe actual dev time was no more than 2-3 years. Overall I'm quite disappointed. How often might we get a Cyberpunk world?? This one has basically squandered its potential with a ton of half baked "stuff" thrown into it, and a gigantic, beautiful world that feels absolutely lifeless.

Not gonna refund but I'm not in any hurry to play more. Honestly I've had WAY more fun with Yakuza 7, Valhalla, and Immortals...

jungomitis

Apr 8, 2020
Going back to the reviews, it's obvious every reviewer that gave this more than a 8 played this game as a linear story game. The game is totally fine that way, it's a good single player linear cyberpunk story. But I would put 3 Deus Ex games at higher rating than this in that regard, the two last ones in particular were really well crafted RPGs with a variety of well done mechanics, that are much better than what this game offers.

in their defense, the early reviews are from PC copies,1 code per publication (so the guy would the best PC probably played it), and the code was sent less than a week (I think a few days) before embargo. So they probably just straightshot to credits

or they knew about the metacritic insensitive for the developers and wanted to be nice

or they are paid shills ;)

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
I know HDR is borked but I swear the graphics look better with it on.
this is factual. if you get it calibrated just right, the game looks pretty damn good on ps5

45-AA7-D8-A-C811-4-A72-8461-AD997-B8-F407-D.jpg

franknbeans

Oct 11, 2020
The AI is really killing the immersion for me. Multiple times I've unloaded on enemies and they dont fight back. I jumped in to help the police fight a gang, and the last gang member standing was standing next to the police day dreaming. I spend like 30 seconds trying to find him before I realized he was next to the police. The pedestrians and vehicles have no purpose other than to look busy. They are going no where in particular and doing nothing but moving. And I keep hearing the same conversations over and over again.

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
Night City is so disappointing. Compared to a game like Watch Dogs 2 where I wound spend hours interacting with the NPCs in San Francisco, Cyberpunk's world is devoid of life. NPCs are glued to their same spots repeating the same lines walking the same paths.

There's nothing next-gen about its world; this is a game stuck in the past.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Going back to the reviews, it's obvious every reviewer that gave this more than a 8 played this game as a linear story game. The game is totally fine that way, it's a good single player linear cyberpunk story. But I would put 3 Deus Ex games at higher rating than this in that regard, the two last ones in particular were really well crafted RPGs with a variety of well done mechanics, that are much better than what this game offers.

As an open world game, even Ubisoft games already do many things better than this game. You would have to go back to old open world games to get to a comparable set of features.

It really sad when you encounter what you think is a special NPC in this game, then they're gone or are useless after the one story beat is done. Some one else said it's like set dressing, and it's correct.

As an cinematic rpg, the world the presentation here and performance, when it isn't wonky, is a good deal above the recent Deus Ex games. Certainly I am much more impressed with this overall than Human Revolution, but then it is more my thing. HR had a very gamey feel, the environments were great from the perspective of gameplay mechanics, but the scale limitations of the environments were very obvious.

I suppose it doesn't hurt to me that I don't care much about interacting with NPCs, emergent gameplay on the other hand is cool, and RDR2 was impressive for that. Basic interaction with NPCs wasn't that interesting, but I don't think it is necessary in anyway that you can have a meaningful interaction with most minor characters. I mean you tend to interact with a fairly small subset in real life...no need to expand it too much in a game.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even with gorilla arms im still losing in this boxing match. Seriously how fucking high does my melee need to be? I'm not gonna waste my perks on it when it's not even my build lol

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Can you imagine slaving away on this game everyday for years and releasing this? Man that would be depressing
I'm sure they know the game and they're at peace with it, when you work on a software you know well in advance how the project is going. At the end of the day hopefully they get their wages and possibly a better job in the future. Software developers know well who to blame when the product sucks (hint: the ones who manage the deadlines and scope).

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I am still in the first area/district of the city doing mostly side missions and quests.

I notice the icons on the map have a teal blue "open world" event and then you also have "side jobs" in yellow and I believe gigs?

As with everything in this game, things are not expanded or explained very well.

I assume in term's of content the main missions are obviously, the main game. Side jobs are bigger missions that should be played as well but optional.......what are gigs and are they random/endless? and same with the open world blue icons? do they constantly spawn or populate once you beat them?

any clarification on mission types and importance would be helpful.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a fucking minute...

I was taking a quick gander at the IGN walkthrough. It says that I am now on the last set of story missions? What the fuck? That can't be right can it?

Type422

Nov 28, 2017
I also really have to say, that the more I play this game, the more I'd love to have a big AAA Shadowrun game. Make it happen! xD