• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how people with 30 series RTX cards are reporting shitty frame rates. I get close to a consistent 60fps with my 2070S on 1440p with DLSS set to Quality. Given, I have a mixture of High and Ultra settings with a few of the shadow settings set to low and no RT, but the game still looks gorgeous. Are you all cranking that shit up to Psycho or something?

The only time I get frame dips are in really dense crowds of pedestrians, in which it can drop to the mid to low 50's. Still perfectly fine though.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
"Starting to get a glimpse" - better hurry then, act 2 is the last act in the game. Yes, after 8 years of dev there are only 2 acts...
giphy.gif

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Hit Act 2, after a couple of game crashes.

I'll keep dunking on CDPR and their buggy-ass game, but I can't deny that it's been a fuckin' RIDE as soon as I entered Konpeki Plaza. Goddamn.

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly game is just pushing me closer towards playing yakuza 7 half the time, like let me go play in these arcades gdi. It's all set dressing

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Playing a version of the game for which almost the entire development time was marketed toward and is currently being sold for. I'm not sure why you're so quick to think a product sold on a device should have such glaring issues.
because the game is obviously struggling with the old CPU's of the old consoles. I could of told you 3 years ago that the base versions of the games would look horrible.

they had to cut a ton of corners to even get it running on those consoles. Visually, its understandable. In terms of game breaking bugs, I can agree with you.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If anyone has digital version of this game on console Microsoft and Sony are issuing refunds.
IMO, refund the game and wait out the next gen patches to see if things improve.

I don't understand how people are still defending this trash pile in its current state.
Hype is one hell of a drug.
combined with preorder or day 1 purchases..

Last edited:

Jocund

Mar 9, 2018
It's things like this (Series X) around every corner that make it hard to even be able to appreciate the general design of Night City. When combined with low poly models and IQ it's just bluegh.

epda3sgwmae7zksxrjvu.jpg

epda745weaak9b1v9kpa.jpg

This is like this for like two-thirds of the stuff on walls lol.
Patch 1.04 has addressed this. I'm on PS4 unprofessional and haven't come across any egregiously low resolution signage in a while.

Hope Xbox gets that patch soon!

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Guess we'll have to wait till someone like Paradox or Failbetter to make a cyberpunk game to get one with role playing. Sunless Skies already has an ideal structure for driving your flying car around a top-down future city

Type422

Nov 28, 2017
It's things like this (Series X) around every corner that make it hard to even be able to appreciate the general design of Night City. When combined with low poly models and IQ it's just bluegh.

epda3sgwmae7zksxrjvu.jpg

epda745weaak9b1v9kpa.jpg

Looks like some backgrounds straigt from a 90's fps :D

Happy to enjoy it on PC. Sunk already 20 hours into it and having a good time with it. Had no bigger problem yet, apart from some minor graphical glitches (like Johnny's cigarette doubling and things like that). Yeah, the AI is braindead. But to be true, I also think that in most open world games the AI is really dumb. No excuse though for the big words before release.

EDIT: Whoops, the first quotes shouldn't have been there, sorry guys ;D Removed

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
So does this game have like Witcher 3 like full fledged story driven side quests? All I've seen so far is just Spider-Man man style kill a bunch of baddies clear the map icon type stuff

firstseeker

Dec 4, 2019
I don't understand how people with 30 series RTX cards are reporting shitty frame rates. I get close to a consistent 60fps with my 2070S on 1440p with DLSS set to Quality. Given, I have a mixture of High and Ultra settings with a few of the shadow settings set to low and no RT, but the game still looks gorgeous.

The only time I get frame dips are in really dense crowds of pedestrians, in which it can drop to the mid to low 50's. Still perfectly fine though.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I just assume something is broken with their PC and/or game installation.

Game is running smooth for me @1440p with ultra settings and RT on

Atlas_XIX

Oct 29, 2017
Reading the cyberpunk reddit is interesting to say the least. They should have only released this on PC if they were having this much trouble.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
because the game is obviously struggling with the old CPU's of the old consoles. I could of told you 3 years ago that the base versions of the games would look horrible.

they obviously had to cut a ton of corners to even get it running on those consoles. Visually, its understandable. In terms of game breaking bugs, I can agree with you.
Nah. They're selling the product. It's on them to make sure it's not got such glaring issues, especially when there's an array of amazing looking games last-gen and that's largely where such expectations have come from.

Patch 1.04 has addressed this. I'm on PS4 unprofessional and haven't come across any egregiously low resolution signage in a while.

Hope Xbox gets that patch soon!
Now this is good to know, thank you.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
How would the game perform on a 2070 (not Super) at 1440p? My CPU is a 8700k, slightly overclocked.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So it sounds like along with issues with the developers and just being a really unappealing edgy game in tone, it's also just generally not that great, and even awful in a lot of respects. And also a technical disaster on consoles, where I would be playing it.

Easy $80 saved I guess. Glad I went with Immortals.

Ngl, Immortals is a vastly superior game to this.

robhans

Banned
Jun 27, 2019
so half the game is the prologue?
Well, i know people that beat this game in 15h mainlining it and they aren't fast gamers. So yeah, half the game is the prolog. 40-50h to beat this game with all meaningfull sidequests. Probably around 60-65h to max all the fluff like collecting graffiti or something.
This game 2 time shorter than Witcher 3. And like 3 times shorter than AC:Valhalla.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
So does this game have like Witcher 3 like full fledged story driven side quests? All I've seen so far is just Spider-Man man style kill a bunch of baddies clear the map icon type stuff
It has a bunch. If you are in act 1 I suggest you mainline the quests until you get into act 2 as there isn't much before then.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
I don't understand how people with 30 series RTX cards are reporting shitty frame rates. I get close to a consistent 60fps with my 2070S on 1440p with DLSS set to Quality. Given, I have a mixture of High and Ultra settings with a few of the shadow settings set to low and no RT, but the game still looks gorgeous. Are you all cranking that shit up to Psycho or something?

i have a 3080 and 9770k and it is rock solid 60-90 fps at 4k dlss quality mode. On a OLED It is the craziest looking game Ive ever seen. Sometimes it looks like a normal game from the last few years then sometimes my jaw is just on the floor. Shame the RT wasn't ready for prime time.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I read through some of the Reddit comments. This one got me, and if it is true (seems it is), it's so disappointing.

• No NPC Day/Night cycle. NPCs spawn and despawn outside of the player's view.
  • If an NPC is doing an action, they will do that action forever until the player moves.
  • NPCs that are not story/side quest related have one dialog reply.
  • If one NPC is assaulted, every other NPC in a large circle around the player will crouch to the floor in the same animation, even if they did not see the original assault.
  • NPCs in a car will follow a specific route. If the route is even slightly interupted, for example by your car, they will cease to move forever until you remove the obstruction.
  • NPCs in a car will not attempt to move or exit their vehicle if you assault them with bullets/another vehicle.
  • NPCs will not acknowledge the player if they run the player over with their car.
  • NPCs will not attempt to steal their vehicle back if you steal it from them.
  • NPCs will not attack you or defend themselves in any way or form, even if engaged upon with just fists.
  • Police spawn around the player's vision when the player is wanted, forever, until they attempt to hide or drive away.
  • Police to not attempt to question, warn, or arrest the player for even the smallest crime commited, for example if you bump into them or accidently enter a private area.
  • Police are incapable of driving cars and chasing the player if they drive away.
  • Police will not attack hostile targets like Gangs if they are not already doing so in an activity.
  • Police will know if the player has attacked an NPC in the middle of the badlands and spawn next to the player, without vehicles.
  • NPCs will rarely thank or acknowledge the player if they are helped by the player.
  • Scripted NPCs that have dialog will say their dialog then proceed to stand there forever. They will also repeat the same dialog if the player leaves the area and visits again later.
No interactivity with pretty much anything as well. Can't sit down to have a bite to eat from street vendors. Can't go into most doors, can't play arcades. No mini games, no unique events (not quests) or interesting NPC AI. I guess this is more Metro Exodus with some Deus Ex mixed in vs what a lot of folks were hoping.

I am going to still keep my Best Buy physical copy since it came with a steelbook and wound up being about $40 for me, but with a 1080Ti I am going to wait for a few more optimization patches. Although I am kind of tempted to return it (haven't opened it).

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This makes me want to finish the game quickly so I can see what the buzz is about regarding Hades. Quite frankly, I am anticipating playing that more than this now.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017

epda3sgwmae7zksxrjvu.jpg

epda745weaak9b1v9kpa.jpg

Massive fucking ps3 and 360 vibes in those screenies.

In fact no, I remember burnout paradise on the 360 having clearer billboards then the hot mess whatever that image is supposed to be.

Awful given this gen the issues of billboards, on wall texts and art were largely solved and appeared to at least to be higher res and quite readable.

Replayed bioshock infinite on ps4 a few months ago and the artwork and billboards were perfectly legible even with the occasional slow streaming issue.

ChillWinston

Oct 27, 2017
Aaannnd I think my save is broken! I'm supposed to "Meet with Jackie" after doing the first braindance and it won't tell me where I'm supposed to meet him. I track the quest and nothing appears to tell me where to go. Soooo... I guess I can't play any more??? Fuck this game.

romey

Mar 2, 2020
Getting the bot for Royce really got things going for me. Sub 60 FPS is still a bummer though.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Aaannnd I think my save is broken! I'm supposed to "Meet with Jackie" after doing the first braindance and it won't tell me where I'm supposed to meet him. I track the quest and nothing appears to tell me where to go. Soooo... I guess I can't play any more??? Fuck this game.
Reload your save and see if that fixes ir

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
The game world is way over ambitious. 15 districts is overkill when you consider where the gameplay will actually take you.

It's too bad, they should have split up the map a bit, with the main game taking you through story missions around the world while fleshing out the main districts, adding future fleshed out districts in the expansions.

EcX8OZhUMAAcjPc.png

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

epda3sgwmae7zksxrjvu.jpg

epda745weaak9b1v9kpa.jpg

Is this in performance or quality mode? The patch earlier today supposedly fixed this issue on PS systems, so presumably the Xbox patch is around the corner too.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the AI and comparing all these blatantly cut features that were promised in marketing: journalists should be ashamed