• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Epileptic PSA: There are reports that animations and flashing lights in this game can cause seizures. Read this article for more information

Why is there controversy surrounding CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077?

CD Projekt Red has a history of transphobia. This is well documented at this point and not a matter of debate. Due to this context there is particular concern about transphobic or insensitive content in Cyberpunk 2077 itself, such as the decision to tie gender to voice in the character creator, and trans fetishization in illustrations in the game—and these are just examples from prerelease footage. Additionally, there have been concerns about racist imagery and stereotyping. This article goes into depth about some of these issues.

What incidents of transphobia have occurred surrounding the game and the company, and why are they hurtful?

This list will be updated over time as more examples come to light, especially as the game releases and more content is uncovered. If you wish to have something added to this list, please send me a DM and get my attention.

Why is ResetEra allowing an official thread for this game?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether there should even be an official thread for Cyberpunk 2077, and many points of view were considered for this decision. Ultimately, a thread like this can serve as a platform for minority concerns to be aired and discussed respectfully, and given appropriate attention. We've also heard from minority members, including some trans members, who have asked for a space where they can talk about the game without needing to worry about trolling and bigoted posting. We expect all posters in the thread to extend the consideration and empathy to give them that space. We will be moderating as strictly as necessary to make sure they do.

What can I do to help fight transphobia?

Transphobia exists in many aspects of our lives. From casual discrimination such as the continuous misuse of a person's preferred pronouns, to more serious ramifications such as housing being denied, legal rights being taken away, and being discriminated in the legal system. Every trans person either has experienced transphobia in their lives, or will experience transphobia at some point.

Moreover, transphobia is a systematic issue that is present in every level of our society. Politicians fight to take away our rights. Celebrities use coded language and religious justifications, if not outright hostility, in order to continue to deny our existence. Media continues to portray us as the butt of a joke, or acts like we're something to be fascinated by, rather than treated with respect.

Actions speak louder than words: Become active in your local politics, donate to transgender causes, stand up for these issues wherever they arise, and if you know transgender people in your life be there for them and support them.

Here are some pro-trans organizations around the world where you can make a donation and show your support
  • For those of you in the US, The Trevor Project is one of the leading LGBT organizations. They are dedicated to crisis intervention and suicide prevention for people who are in need of support, love, and care.
  • For those of you in the UK, Mermaids is dedicated to the support of transgender, non-binary, and gender-diverse children, young adults, and their families. They have been around since 1995, and have been one of the most vocal voices speaking out against transphobia in the UK, including showing the dangers that transphobia imposes upon our youth.
  • If you would like to donate to CDPR's native country of Poland, you can find the Trans-Fuzja Foundation website here. The Trans-Fuzja Foundation has been around since 2008, and is dedicated to the support of transgender people in Poland in many aspects of life and society, including politics.
We are your friends. We are your family members. We're your coworkers. We're the people you meet on the street. We're the essential workers who keep society running in a pandemic. We're everywhere. We're not some sort of freak or joke, and we're not going away.

I want to give major thanks to Uzzy for lending her talent, time, and effort in putting together graphics and material for this official thread. Without her, this would not have been possible on such short notice. I would also like to give a shout out and thanks to Kyuuji for allowing me to use images and links from her own thread for this posts.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
What are some examples of things that were false marketing?
You can just look several posts above yours. Links to reddit discussions. There are too many to count. My biggest problem with them is that they promised the world to be incredibly immersive, the NPCs to have complex AI with complex routines, but it's all a lie. The police system alone is so bad it kills all the immersion. Example: I killed someone in stealth mode, with no witnesses, and 5-6 cops spawned behind me out of thin air. As soon as I ran away, those cops vanished (the AI is so dumb that they can't even patrol the area looking for you) and left their empty cars. Profit! It's the most shallow open world I've ever played.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
... This is the first time I really, truly have questioned whether these review outlets have some sort of monetary tie to the review scores they give out. Or perhaps the reviewers are just all so blinded by the years of hype, almost biasing themselves into a positive review and ignoring all of the flaws the game has. It boggles my mind.

were you around for GTA4 and Dark Souls 2?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
So that's twice now where what should have been a dramatic scene was ruined by a ridiculous bug. I figured it was just a graphical glitch that would not be there the second time around. Considering it's a main quest scene, you would think they would have made sure at least those were working properly.

When Jackie is supposed to pull the "chip" out of his head, you see his gun barrel pop out of the side of his head instead of the chip, and he hands you his gun instead of the chip too.

has been running pretty well on my PC w 3080 & 3600 but came across a weird bug that gave everything a really weird and ugly shimmery effect, then restarting the game caused several crashes until i rebooted my entire PC.

also seems like sometimes graphical settings don't take or fully implement until restarting despite the sense for the user being that they change on the fly in-game?

If it looks like everything was sprayed with water or glitter, I mentioned that happening as well in a previous post, but it's an issue with DLSS. Simply toggle the setting from what quality setting you have it set to (Auto, Quality, Performance) to something else, and then back and that will go away.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This game is looking to be a bit of fun - especially that whole braindance segment. The characters are really likable even though the dialogue is pretty bland like a Michael Bay blockbuster. In terms of world building, I'm not interested in reading long journal entries and news articles.

Going back to my original comment, I just can't get over how crummy the city looks. Not in terms of its detail but its art style. It just reminds me of the worst aspects of modern cities. Maybe this will be different once the richer areas open up? I would like to feel a bit more awe even at the risk of turning into the 'WOW COOL FUTURE' meme because I'm not convinced how these cynical characters could view Night City as this magical place. In one scene, Jackie is pumping me up as we're about to enter a venue called the Afterlife. Reverting to his Michael Bay dialogue, he tells me that I'm about to "pop my cherry". I'm expecting some decadent cybernetic harem but the Afterlife looks like a pretty dirty sports bar. There was also an Afterlife club in Mass Effect and I remember it looking quite fun.

In terms of the game engine, it's clear that CDPR overreached in its capabilities. Happy to put up with it as long as the gameplay is manageable - it's looking like the combat and novelty mechanics like braindancing will be doing a lot of the heavy lifting for this game's appeal where the story and world is likely to fall short.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
So at 8 hours in the game presents its title card. But at this point the game is basically run up behind someone or shoot like crazy while 500 icons and other shit flash on the screen. Open world feels useless. Does the gameplay get more varied from here? How do i still only have $127 9 hours into this? I have no car but no money to buy a new one.

I am before the first Dexter Mission and have like 35.000 by selling valuables and weapons to the merchants or.by hacking certain vending machines.
Thats on "hard" difficulty.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In my experience, they always are lol, I've refunded games way past their requirements a lot of times. I'd try it.
Good to know. I just know my sister will be frustrated as the game was an early Christmas present :/

I love the atmosphere and the story, but there's key mechanics to an open world game such as this that are missing...

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe people still excuse CDPR, as if it's somehow the players' fault for believing their false marketing. The cult they have is ridiculous.
I didn't even liked the game, and posted in this thread that im waiting till they fix it
I didn't said that they were right either.
What i said was: they overhyped and underdelivered in a huge way, but at least they gave a warning
I mean, now we know the limitations of current gen tech...no way that was true

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah, i'm completely off the DLSS hype train now because this is the third time where i've been unimpressed by its implementation

That being said, while it's noticeably not as good as native, it's still decent. Apparently using sharpening helps a bit but i'm not sure

Using sharpening to help, but once you see characters up close with DLSS off it's hard to go back lol.

Only happens for a weapon you never equipped before as far as I was told
Yeah I think they only show up when you get a new weapon.

Awww man, bummer! Need a compilation video ASAP :p

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
About 10 hours in on PS5 and really digging this game! A few crashes, but game has a great auto save. Looks pretty good. Played for 2 hours last night and didn't shoot or fight anyone. Just a bunch of cool dialogue and scenarios.

Been enjoying the story so far too. Keanu Reeves is perfect in his role as well!

Oct 25, 2017
ok def have passed that. Yikes! What a nasty bug. Bummed I missed it.
You're not missing much, it was:
Dex shot you and the game over/red letters screen started playing, which then transitioned in the title as you know it and another transition happened to move you into the Johnny mission.
Weird bug for sure though

manlisten

Oct 28, 2017
The game starts to make more sense when you really it's actually Borderlands and not The Witcher 2077. It's not really an RPG. In that context it's pretty good (underneath the performance issues), but not at all what I expected.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What is even the point of creating a character when your railroaded into a fixed personality?

Might as well just given us another Geralt

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The game starts to make more sense when you really it's actually Borderlands and not The Witcher 2077. It's not really an RPG. In that context it's pretty good (underneath the performance issues), but not at all what I expected.
I think it's more like a wider but slightly less deep open world Deus Ex at its core.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I'm straight flabbergasted at how this game has a 90 metacritic score. Several outlets gave it a 10/10.

I've played about 10 hours so far, and I'd give it a 6/10, MAYBE a 7/10. And most of that is because the writing and story is pretty good. The game itself sort of sucks.

The graphics are underwhelming, even on PC with a 3080. The gameplay is mediocre at best, Deus Ex HR and MD do the stealth/tech/gun gameplay WAY better. The journal is a mess, keeping track of main and side missions along with gigs and whatnot is super jumbled. Loot and clothing is bloated and not very good. The skills and upgrade system is also a jumbled mess.

Conversations have the illusion of choice, but they all seem to end up in the same spot regardless of what you pick. The choices are mostly one line filler.

Worst of all though, the NPCs are braindead, there is no AI to speak of anywhere in the game, including NPCs in cars which are completely borked.

Add to this, the game is clearly not finished. ITs buggy with tons of low quality assets and mission breaking bugs that require reloads, etc.

I'm struggling to understand the positive reception of the game by review outlets. This game is mediocre. Thats a tough pill to swallow for me as I consider Witcher 3 to be the best game ever made. I was so hyped for this game. I built a new PC for Cyberpunk, including hunting down a $800 RTX 3080 which was miserable. I can't even lie to myself that this game is good, its mediocre in every sense of the word.

Fallout 4 is better than this game. Hell, Outer Worlds is better than this game. I just don't get it. This is the first time I really, truly have questioned whether these review outlets have some sort of monetary tie to the review scores they give out. Or perhaps the reviewers are just all so blinded by the years of hype, almost biasing themselves into a positive review and ignoring all of the flaws the game has. It boggles my mind.
Agree with you on pretty much everything. It's a 6/10 game, maybe 7/10 at most, even discarding the bugs and performance. The reviews this game received are utterly baffling, especially 10/10s lol. I thought The Outer Worlds and Fallout 4 were shallow and bland, but this game is worse and yet it received better reviews somehow.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Bugs I noticed:

I had to rebind the middle mouse.button for grenades because at some point it just put away the gun and draw it again without doing anything with a grenade.

Also: after using the Smart-Sniper Rifle whicwh doesnt use a scope but only the non-ads/UI crosshair, all other weapons have the UI Crosshair too and it doesnt dissapear when ADS through a scope how it should. And because it isnt aligned with the actual scope and the middle of the screen it distracts you alot.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I am before the first Dexter Mission and have like 35.000 by selling valuables and weapons to the merchants or.by hacking certain vending machines.
Thats on "hard" difficulty.

I had $1200 in cash after finishing the opening "body in a tub" mission, and could easily double that by selling the stuff I found. No idea what that guy is doing.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
How is there no preview of your character when you buy new clothes. Also the clothes selection is just awful

May 12, 2020
After 10 hours with the game on PS4, I'll just say this. Its know where the same quality as Rockstar open-world games. It's not even about the bugs (there are a lot of them), Cyberpunk just feels like a cheese knockoff of something that could have been greater. I love Witcher 3 and I never played 1 or 2, the story and world of that game were amazing. CP so far feels like a mess and tries too hard to be so edgy. WTF happened? I'm so disappointed this is what we got after 8 years.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone remember the little info popup in the beginning of the game that talked about finding hidden boxes that do not showup on the minimap?

anyone find one? Are there a lot?

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really liking the game so far, but goddamn the crashes are getting to me, every freaking hour *crash*. I'm on PC and the rest of the game has been smooth sailing (no real bugs or glitches) but not knowing when the game is gonna crap out on me completely is kinda killing the experience for me right now. I honestly might just drop the game for now and wait on more patches. I'm constantly on edge playing this right now.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
We all know this game is bugged as hell, but holy crap, the quests, characters, voice acting... the world feels so inviting and alive. Sometimes I can't believe what I'm seeing on my screen. This game is f unreal on PC. I'm just thinking about the future mods...

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Agree with you on pretty much everything. It's a 6/10 game, maybe 7/10 at most, even discarding the bugs and performance. The reviews this game received are utterly baffling, especially 10/10s lol. I thought The Outer Worlds and Fallout 4 were shallow and bland, but this game is worse and yet it received better reviews somehow.
This is where I am too, 6/10 being honest because how trash it looks and run deserves less, Windows Central review is embarrassing.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Jeez, what's with the cursor drift in the character creation and certain menus?
I thought the Dualsense stick was borked, but it does the same thing when using two Dualshock 4s.
Sadly it's probably something that would be put on the back burner to fix when they have so many performance fires to put out first. Annoying as hell though.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
One S is the worst-off version of this game. Don't buy it. Framerate alone is often in the teens, often below 720p on its dynamic resolution, and has a ton of graphical issues even beyond that.

XSS is nearly-locked 30fps with best image quality this game can presently provide on Xbox One — it generally seems to be low-medium PC settings, just eyeballing it (not confirmed). No idea what resolution, haven't seen anyone do a count that they feel confident about yet.

XSX can choose between Performance (uncapped framerate up to 60fps) and Quality. There appears to be very little image quality difference between the two. Performance is 60-ish but seems to usually hover in low to mid 50's; Quality is capped at 30fps and is mostly locked, like XSS.

Generally, image quality currently looks about the same between XSX and XSS, owing to the fact that they're just using the graphics presets for the One version of the game and don't have proper optimizations yet.
Huh, sounds like this game needed another year of development and to totally skip current gen.

Thanks for the info! Snakeeee & Gero too! Will wait.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It looks like my decision to wait for the PS5 version was a good idea, but will also mean I won't get this until late next year. I expected bugs but this is looking like an extraordinary amount. Like getting a statement from CDPR and an apology kind of amount.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
This game makes me believe there must be paid reviews in this world. The world is devoid of life and NPCs are just puppets for show. I cannot believe how people bash GTA5 before this game was launched for its world when everything about GTA makes more sense than this game. Even the police system is better. Night City is beautiful but just an empty shell.

You customise yourself in the beginning but you cannot see yourself for a large part of the game. You cannot make changes to yourself. Even Saints Row and GTA:SA has more options to play dress up.

Everyone is focusing on the technical issues but beyond that lies greater problems with the gameplay and promises that are all broken.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Stand on any street with a bunch of people, have them pass you by while you are still looking up front, wait a sec and then turn your camera aggressively towards them.. they are now completely gone. Wth is that?

I'm really loving the game but this stuff just puts me off the experience so much...

Anarkin

Oct 27, 2017
Fixing the AI should be number 1 priority after they get rid of all the bugs and make the base console version playable.

On PC people seem to enjoy it. It has over 1 mil concurrent players on steam again.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
How to prevent me from overheating?

Also I've met some goons that 1 shotted me with some sort of electricity lol